Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: see part 1.

Title: Turn Around Part 9/?
By: Chris
Rated: PG


“Broots here?”
“Is this line save?”
“Miss Parker? I don't know, it’s my cell phone. Are you alright? Where are you? What happened? How’s Jarod?”
“Broots, nice you’re worried but one question at a time alright?”
“Sorry, Miss Parker, but I’m totally confused. Sydney was taken into custody by Centre sweepers. Debbie and I, we’re on our way to the airport. Where are you?”
“In the plane. What happened? I thought you escaped the Centre days ago?”
“Who told you that? I’ve been working until this morning. I’ve taken some days off.”
“Sydney told me. What did you say happened?”
“A sweeper team has taken him away, in handcuffs. Miss Parker, what should I do? I’m afraid to leave without him.”
“Leave, leave for Debbie’s sake. We’ll have to take care of that problem later. There’s only one problem. We can’t meet you in Peking. The city’s flooded with sweepers. Is it possible you take another plane?”
“I hope so. To where?”
“I can’t tell you on the phone. I can’t be sure they’re not taping your calls.”
“I think you can, the phone’s only two days old. I got it from Debbie on my birthday.”
“Your birthday? Oh, I forgot. Congratulations. Broots, take a plane to Tokyo, we’ll talk again later. Have to go.”
“Take care, Miss Parker.”
“You too and tell Debbie to be a good girl. Bye.”
She handed the phone back to Jarod. She looked out of the window. Faith was still sitting in her lap, looking at her with her big brown eyes.
“They’ve arrested Sydney.”
“WHAT??”
“Broots said that a sweeper team has taken him away, handcuffed. Something bad has happened. He also said that they didn't escape the Centre, that he has worked until today.”
“But Sydney--.”
“I think you have to forget about him. He has betrayed you. I believe that it was him who told Raines about our plans to meet in Peking. Who else cold it be?”
“Sydney would never, you hear me, never betray us like that. He’s our friend he--.”
“Jarod, you have to understand him, you have to try it. Maybe we’ll find out what’s been happening, why he did it.”
“How can you be sure?”
“I’m not sure, I’m just trying to see things the way they are. He’s the only one who could have told him. I guess that it’s Raines’ fault. He probably pressed him to tell you lies and has threatened to kill him or his family if he didn't. We have to forget about him for now. It’ll jeopardize the whole mission if we try to free him now. What if he had planned it the whole time? That he never wanted to meet us? I hate to admit that I’ve trusted him. I know that he’s our friend but first we have to think about helping Broots and Debbie. When they’re save we’ll go after Sydney, alright?”
Jarod bit his lip but nodded. Parker got up and put her hand on her shoulder, trying to comfort him. She knew that it had hit him hard. Sydney had been his fatherly friend for nearly all his life and he had trusted him, he would have put his life in the man’s hands and now everything looked as if he had betrayed them. A single tear started rolling down his face when he turned around abruptly and marched back to the cockpit. Parker sighed and sat down in her seat again. Faith was waddling around the compartment. Parker had to grin involuntarily. That happy little dog, she had non idea what tragedies were going on around her. She came back to Parker and jumped onto her lap.
Parker tried to explain to herself what had happened to Sydney. Maybe they were trying to force him to tell secrets he had kept to himself, tell them where Jarod was, what had happened to her, about his own escape plans. She hoped it wasn’t true. That he didn't betray them.
“Jarod, how long until we’re there?”
“Maybe five hours. I only hope we get permission to land. We have to find a small airport. Go back to sleep. Michael and I will do the rest.”
She had nearly forgotten about the other man. Where was he and the more important question, who was he? She got up, Faith in her arms, and walked to the front.
“Why are we going to Tokyo?” she asked.
“It was planned to go there, only later,” Jarod answered.
“May I tell her now?” Michael asked and Jarod nodded.
“In case you’ve been wondering who I am, my name’s Michael Black and I’ve been a Centre sweeper when I was younger.”
“When you were younger?”
“When I was only twenty. Now I’m nearly forty and trying to undo the damage I’ve done when I’ve been working for them. I’ve found out that the Centre has an outpost in Japan.”
“Where in Japan? Maybe that was the reason why I was sent to college in Japan.”
“On the north island, on Hokkaido, somewhere in a forest. I want to find out where exactly it is and then destroy it.”
“Do you know what they are doing there?”
“Jarod has told me that you have found information concerning a certain experiment.”
“You mean the things I’ve found out in Russia?”
“Yes. It’s highly possible that they are conduction these experiments there.”
“Conducting these experiments? With living beings?”
“With humans, to be precise. They’ve named it ‘Project Euthanasia’, a wonderful name.”
“But that’s the complete difference. Euthanasia means an easy and painless death. Wait a second, death? They’re not killing them, are they?”
“Miss Parker, there’s something else. Do you know what it meant during the 2nd World War?”
“They’ve called it euthanasia to kill mentally ill and disabled people. Why do you ask?”
“Their guinea pigs are disabled people.”
Miss Parker only looked at him and couldn’t find the strength to ask more about this topic.
“What about the clone project in Alaska?” she asked.
“I haven’t found anything,” Jarod said, “It seems to be part of Raines’ plan to keep you out of the way. We have to take care of this problem in Japan first. There are too many lives at stake. We have to save them first, then we can try to solve the Alaska mystery.”
Miss Parker and Michael sighed.
“Jarod, can’t you fly faster?”
“Sorry, Parker, there’s a strong headwind. It’ll take even longer than I expected. This is a small plane.”
“I'll do the best I can. Relax, you can’t do anything from up here. You need rest, the following days are gonna be hard.”
“You should take a nap as well, you’ve been awake for far too long.”
She turned around and went back to her seat. Jarod tried not to show his emotions, she thought and had to admit that she was doing the same. She knew that she better tried to sleep. Her shoulder felt as if someone was constantly stabbing her with a knife. She hated to admit it but she had to ask Jarod for some painkillers.
“Jarod?” Her voice sounded weak. Dammit, someone had tried to kill her, she was allowed to sound weak. Jarod turned around to look at her. When he saw the look on her face he got up.
“Do you need something against the pain?” he asked before Parker could speak up. She only nodded.
“I’ll better have a look at it again. Can you take off your sweater?”
“It looks good, considering the circumstances. Normally you’d have to stay in hospital. Try not to walk around that much and try to rest.”
“Something really strong, please.”
“What?”
“The painkillers, something strong?”
“Want an injection or some pills.”
“Whatever works faster.”
Jarod looked down at her. Her eyes were closed and she had dark shades under her eyes. She looked somehow older than usual. Her black sweater made her look pale. He searched for his medkit and took out a syringe. Parker didn't even open her eyes when Jarod pricked her with the needle and injected the painkiller into her bloodstream.
Jarod took a blanket and wrapped it around Parker. She muffled a thanks and Jarod wanted to go back into the cockpit.
He decided against it and sat down in the seat in front of Parker. He watched her and tried to imagine what was going around in her head. Faith suddenly stood in front of him and looked at him. He smiled and picked her up. She snuggled into his lap and closed her eyes. Jarod closed his eyes. He had to sleep as well. Michael would take care of the plane and bring them closer to Japan while he took his nap.