Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: I do not own The Pretender and their characters but NBC does. I only dare to play my wicked little games with them. This is a piece of non-profit fanfiction and there are no copyright infringements intended.
I introduce SL-23 and the sea lab. They belong to my imagination and no one can take them from me!
The title refers to the song "Total eclipse of the heart" by Tina Turner. I used the text for my own purpose without the consent of the writer. No copyright infringement intended either!
PLEASE send feedback to kylaparker@hotmail.com. I don't care if it's good or bad just don't make me feel like a complete idiot..

Title: Turn around 1/?
By: Chris
Rated: PG-13
Spoilers: None
Keywords: MPJF


Turn around Part 1

Somewhere in Germany
12/28/1999, 11.26 am

Jarod couldn't believe it. Miss Parker was dead, killed in a plane crash. He had found the records in the Centre mainframe. No one had told him. He couldn't find Broots or Greene, nobody had answered when he had called. Had they been killed in the plane crash as well? The Centre mainframe didn't have any information about the two and he was sure he had searched the whole archives.
YOU HAVE MAIL! his computer told him.
'Jarod, need refuge.'
Nothing more, nothing less, no name, no sender. He was sure he had searched the Centre mainframe for this word, which had often helped him. He did it again, he entered the mainframe and entered the word 'refuge'. This time the computer responded. A file showed up and he downloaded it onto his computer. As fast as possible he left the mainframe because he had activated a warning signal. He opened the file but it was nothing but signs. He needed a decent decoder or it would take days to decipher the message. The phone rang.
"Ein R Gespräch aus Russland, möchten Sie es annehmen?" (An R call from Russia, do you accept?)
"Ja, bitte." ( Yes, please)
"Jarod, is it you?"
"Yes, it's me, who's there?"
"Parker, have you gotten refuge?"
"I'm on it. You are alive?"
"Meet me there as soon as possible."
She hung up before he could respond. Meet her where? What had happened? What could she possibly be doing in Russia? He activated his decoding program and it took nearly half an hour before the computer had found a matching decoding sequence. I took another hour before he could read the message. It was a file from the Centre archives about an experiment with pain causing medication. For Jarod it didn't make any sense. The last sentence simply said: 'I was there for information gathering and escaped from the Centre, I'm in Iwanovo. Rescue me.' She wanted him to rescue her? He was sure that it was a trap but what if it wasn't?
Half an hour later he was on his way to the airport, a new passport in his pocket, another one for Parker. He was glad that she hadn't been killed in that plane crash, but still couldn't sort out his feelings. Bad memories were nagging him. She had been trying to catch him so often, could someone like her change?
What if the old Parker had come back? The girl he once loved? The girl he had comforted when she was sad? The girl who had cried in his arms? How he wished that this would be come reality.

The plane was already waiting and he went to the passport control and then inside the plane. His new passport had passed its first test. He had a seat at the window and looked outside. He watched the busy movements at the airport, later on the clouds. They moved by his window and then they were under the plane and it was clear outside. Nothing but emptiness out there. His thoughts went back to Parker and what she had possibly planned. What if it was no plan? What if she simply needed his help? What if he suffered from persecution mania? No, stop thinking like that, he told himself and leaned back in his seat.
A stewardess brought him something to drink and he tried to relax. He had a 3 hour flight in front of him and he needed to be rested when he arrived in Russia. He took a dictionary out of his small case and began to read in it. His Russian wasn't the best and he had to catch up before the plane landed in Moscow.

Moscow / Russia
12/28/1999, 6.26 p.m.

It was dark outside and snowflakes were dancing in the air as the plane touched the ground. The controls were short because he had a Russian passport and shortly after he left the airport with his small silver case and a traveling bag. He went to the car rental and got a jeep. He had to travel east to reach the city of Iwanovo where he knew that Parker was. It was a drive of a bout 190 miles which would take him about two to three hours, another couple of hours to find Parker and then? Simply take her hand and drag her out of wherever she was?

Iwanovo / Russia
12/28/1999, 9.06 p.m.
He had found an encrypted map embedded into the file he had downloaded so he knew where he had to go. The town of Iwanovo wasn't hard to find but the place were Parker was supposed to wait for him was. He drove around the town searching for the right gas station. He had been there before but Parker hadn't. He got out of the car.
"Jarod?" HER voice!! He turned around and faced a tall woman with long blond curly hair. She was wearing a blue dress, her hair floating around her shoulders.
"PARKER??" he whispered, not believing his eyes. She nodded, took his hand and pulled him inside a small cabin next to the gas station.
"You got a passport for me?"
He nodded, still unable to utter a word, just staring at Parker's blond hair.
"We have to get away fast, they nearly caught me two days ago. Jarod, you have to change your clothes and- JAROD! Are you listening to me?"
"Uuh, what? Yes, I am. What did you do with your hair?"
"Stop thinking about my hair, just hope to get outa here alive."
He obeyed as if she had hypnotized him. He went out of the cabin, went to his car and fetched his traveling bag. He went back to the cabin and knocked at the door - in case she was busy with undressing. She opened the door and hastily dragged him inside.
"They're her. We've gotta get away as soon as possible. Give me the clothes you're wearing and change into something else. They're watching my house, I need to change my looks to get away with you."
He took off his clothes and she undressed herself. For a short moment, when both were standing there dressed in nothing but their underwear, they thought about something else than their escape but Parker took his clothes and got dressed again. She peered out of the window.
"They are from the Russian Secret Service. They want their papers back. You take these", she handed him a pile of papers, "and go to the car. Drive around the block a few times, maybe they're following you and I can get out of here unseen. I'll be waiting at the corner of the gas station. GO!"
Again he obeyed without asking. When he arrived at the gas station the third time, Parker was waiting for him. It was the "old" Parker. She looked cute in his clothes and her hair was back to its original color. She jumped into the car and they drove away. She sighed heavily and leaned back.
"Thank you, Jarod."
"Where's the snag?"
"What snag?"
"You'd never ask me to rescue you without something else in mind. What's wrong?"
"Jarod, I'm not working for the Centre anymore. I was killed in a plane crash, I do not exist. No Miss Parker anymore. Got it? You said you got a passport for me?"
"Don't think you like the name, but it's only for a short time 'till we're back. What 'ya planning to do?"
She looked at him and Jarod felt as if he could read her thoughts in her eyes. And suddenly he felt that the young girl he had once loved had returned. A smile played around her lips.
"Take me with you?" she whispered.
"You're not trying to fool me, are you?"
"You've become wary, Jarod. Not everyone's an enemy. I'm on your side now and I'm not planning to return to the Centre. So, will you take me with you?"
"I'll think about it", he said without looking at her again.