Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: see part 1.


Title: Turn Around Part 8/?
By: Chris
Rated: PG

Plane / somewhere over Afghanistan
01/03/2000, 4.46 p.m. CET

“How did you get that plane? It’s pretty small. Are you sure we’ll reach Peking in one piece?”
“Parker, we’re already somewhere over Afghanistan, that’s more than half of the distance to Peking. Trust me and the plane. It’ll work. I would have preferred a larger one, but everything had to be done fast, and that was the only plane available. Oh, by the way, we are not alone. A friend of mine wanted to see the Chinese wall,” Jarod grinned. A head appeared behind Parker.
“Hi, howdy?”
“F-Fine, thanks.” She didn't want to admit that she was shocked to find out that they hadn’t been alone for such a long time, “Yourself?”
“Wonderful, and seeing the Chinese wall? An opportunity I wouldn’t wanna miss. And I am sure that I can help you with your search.”
“Our search? Search for what?”
“Oh, didn't Jarod tell you?”
“Michael, don't tell her. That was supposed to be a surprise.”
“Ooops, sorry, Miss Parker, you didn't hear it.”
“No, I didn't,” she sighed. So much for a quiet flight to their new home. She smiled at the two and asked to be excused. Then she left and went to the back of the plane to be with her dog. The little one was scared and tried to hide inside a corner. Parker picked it up and sat down in a seat. She pressed the small shaking body against hers and closed her eyes. Her shoulder hurt and a throbbing pain made it impossible for her to think of something else. Faith warmed her. It was cold. She felt somehow alone. Alone in that big bad world outside the plane.

The Centre / Blue Cove
01/03/2000, 10.46 a.m. EST

“Broots?” Sydney’s voice was nothing more than a whisper but in the silence of the room it seemed as if he had shouted the word out loud.
“I’m here. Do you think they are already waiting for us?”
“I hope not. I hate to disappoint them. And I hate to betray them. The sweepers are all over Peking.”
“How the hell did Raines got know about it?”
“Good question. I try to warn them and if it’ll cost my life.”
“Are you crazy? Sydney, they’ll kill you!”
“What if? I couldn’t life with the thought of being responsible for Jarod being caught. I’d feel like a traitor. I couldn’t live with it.”
“Sydney, don't call him. For Debbie’s sake. She’s save – for now. I don't know how much longer I can hide her from THEM. We have to get to China before Jarod an Miss Parker get caught. The meeting is supposed to be tomorrow. Even with sweepers all over the city, we can still make it. We can’t tell whether we would have made it or not if we don't try. Sydney, please. I want Debbie to be able to live a normal life.”
Sydney said nothing just stared at the cellphone in his hands. He got up and walked out of the room, leaving a confused Broots behind. Broots got up as well and followed Sydney through the corridors of the Centre. Somehow it was creepy because nobody else was there. It seemed as if everybody had gone home. But both knew that they were supervised the whole time. That someone was watching them. They only hoped that nobody had heard their conversation, that they didn't know what they were planning.
Sydney didn't say anything. He didn't dare to tell Broots what he had told Jarod. He had told him that they had already escaped the Centre, that they were officially dead. Raines had pressed him to tell Jarod. Sydney knew that he had betrayed Jarod and Miss Parker but he had been afraid of his own life.
Now it was all the same to him, live or die, whatever. Now that he had betrayed the person he had cared for all his life, he didn't care. Sometimes he had been like a father for both of them and he had helped them survive, he had helped Jarod to grow to become the man he was right now.
He had never, never ever betrayed someone like that. He thought that wouldn’t feel anything. No fear of dying, no fear of unknown thing to come, no fear of betraying the Centre. Betraying them would bring back his feelings, he hoped. He didn't know how soon he would be reminded of his thoughts.

Airport Peking
01/03/2000, same time

A sweeper team was searching the airport. Someone had told them that a plane had just arrived and the pilot’s name were Jarod. Finally their search would have an end. They would catch him, bring him back to the Centre and win the laurels. Maybe even be promoted.
But Jarod was nowhere to be found.
“Mr. Lyle, are you sure that this is the right airport?”
“The information said that he was going to be found at the airport Peking.”
“Peking Airport or an airport in Peking?”
“Where’s the difference, Mike?” His voice suddenly became a dangerous undertone.
“Well, there’s the Shahe airport northwest of Peking, another one near Shijingshan west of the city, and another one at Nanyang in the south. They all belong to Peking.”
Lyle looked around the room, trying to control his anger. He resisted the temptation to slap the man’s face and instead started swearing and walked away.
A young man came through the door, a red scrap book in his hands and looked around. When he saw Mike he marched over to him.
“Are you a sweeper?” he asked.
“Yes, who are you?”
“My name is Jarod Brags. A friend of mine has given that to me. He wanted you to have it.”
“Me?”
“Not you personally, but the Centre. He thought it might be important information.”
Mike took the book and went over to Lyle. He handed him the book and told him what the other man had just said. Lyle looked up but Jarod Brags was gone.
“Are you sure it wasn’t Jarod?”
“He said his name was Jarod Brags. But he looked completely different!”
“You idiot! Jarod can be everywhere and everyone. He can change his looks that’s why he’s called a chameleon! You know, you start t o really annoy me. I don't think I’ll need you anymore.”
He looked around the room. Except for the sweeper team the room was empty. It was a backroom of the airport. He took out his gun and shot the man down who had just given him the information he needed.
“Let’s go. We have work to do.”

Plane / somewhere over China
01/03/2000, 5.31 p.m. CET

“Parker, wake up!” Jarod called from the front of the plane. She didn't react so he activated the autopilot and got up.
“Michael, have an eye on the instruments, will you?”
He went to the sleeping Miss Parker and laid his hand on her shoulder. She jumped up from her slumber and looked at Jarod with her intense blue eyes.
“Don't you ever scare me like that again!” she hissed.
“Sorry, but there have been some problems. We have to change our plans.”
“What happened?”
“A sweeper team was seen at the Peking airport. A friend of mine has been there and he has called. I’ve had some plans for what to do when something like that would happen but the problem are Sydney and Broots. I don't know where they currently are. We have to inform them of our change of plans.”
“You mean meeting later?”
“I don't like it but we have to, yes. We go to Japan. Can you call them and give them our exact location and the new times?”
“Of course. How did the Centre get to know that we were on our way to Peking?”
“I don't know, but there is someone who might know that. Ask Broots if he can find out something like that. How’s your shoulder, Parker?”
“It hurts but I'll survive. Where’s the phone?”

“Broots here?”
“Is this line save?”
“I don't know, it’s my cellphone. Are you alright? Where are you? What happened?”
“Broots, nice you’re worried but one question at a time alright?”
“Sorry, Miss Parker, but I’m a little confused. Sydney was taken into custody by Centre sweepers. Debbie and I, we’re on our way to the airport. Where are you?”
“In the plane. What happened? I thought you escaped the Centre days ago?”
“Who told you that? I’ve been working until this morning. I’ve taken some days off.”
“Sydney told me. What did you say happened?”
“A sweeper team has taken him away, in handcuffs. Miss Parker, what should I do? I’m afraid to leave without him.”
“Leave, leave for Debbie’s sake. We’ll have to take care of that problem later. There’s only one problem. We can’t meet you in Peking. The city’s flooded with sweepers. Is it possible you take another plane?”
“I hope so. To where?”
“I can’t tell you on the phone. I can’t be sure they’re not taping your calls.”
“I think you can, the phone’s only two days old. I got it from Debbie on my birthday.”
“Your birthday? Oh, I forgot. Congratulations. Broots, take a plane to Tokyo, we’ll talk again later. Have to go.”
“Take care, Miss Parker.”
“You too and tell Debbie to be a good girl. Bye.”
She handed the phone back to Jarod. She looked out of the window. Faith was still sitting in her lap, looking at her with her big brown eyes.
“They’ve arrested Sydney.”
“WHAT??”
“Broots said that a sweeper team has taken him away, handcuffed. Something bad has happened. He also said that they didn't escape the Centre, that he has worked until today.”
“But Sydney--.”
“I think you have to forget about him. He has betrayed you. I believe that it was him who told Raines about our plans to meet in Peking. Who else could it be?”
“Sydney would never, you hear me, never betray us like that. He’s our friend he--.”
“Jarod, you have to understand him, you have to try it. Maybe we’ll find out what’s been happening, why he did it.”
“How can you be sure?”
“I’m not sure, I’m just trying to see things the way they are.”