Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: I do not own tP or the characters. They belong to NBC and TNT. I only dare to use them for my purposes. This is a piece of non-profit fanfiction, there are no copyright infringements intended. The character of Michael belongs to my imagination (even though he might have some things in common with MTW *g* )

Title: Turn Around Part 16/?
By: Chris
Rated: PG-13
Spoilers: none
Note: This one turns out a little shipperish but I promise to undo those things somewhere in the next chapters. So even the non-shippers may go on reading.

Kisarazu / Japan
Maitreyi's house
02/10/2000, 8.15 a.m.

The taxi stopped in front of the house and both Jarod and Michael got out each carrying a large basket filled with all kind of things for a nice breakfast. Maitreyi opened the door and let them in. The children were at school, except for Debbie who was allowed to stay at home. Maitreyi had been a teacher once and was teaching her instead of her going to school were everyone was speaking Japanese. Debbie had learned a lot of Japanese during the last weeks but it wasn't enough yet to go to school with the other's.
Jarod hated to tell her that she had to stay with her foster family for longer. Even though he knew that Maitreyi Chia Arava was a wonderful woman and Debbie liked her very much it was hard for him to leave her without her dad. She was still taking care of Parker's dog and loved the other children in the house who loved her as well.
"Jarod, I'll be fine, don't worry about me. Dad sometimes sends mails to me. He sends them to my mail account at school and Maitreyi has found a way to access my school account without the Centre being able to trace it back to my computer here. It's no problem, really."
"You're such a brave little girl, Debbie."
"Do I have another option? I can't just go back to America to see my dad. It might take while since we will meet again. As long as we both will be safe this way I will stay here."

Kisarazu / Japan
Jarod's and Michael's flat
02/10/2000, 12.15 p.m.

Their bags were packed and they were only waiting for Timmy to call. He had promised he would call and tell them the exact place where they would meet for their journey to the northern island of Hokkaido. Timmy had insisted on making the plans for their second trip and neither Jarod nor Michael had protested against that. Jarod was glad that someone else was responsible for organizing the whole thing because his mind was occupied otherwise. Since Timmy had told him that they were doing experiments with her he couldn't stop thinking about Parker. Would she be thinking of him? Would she be hoping that they would come to free her? Had she given up hope? He didn't know and to be true he didn't want to know it would make everything much more difficult. He tried to concentrate on the blueprints in front of him but somehow they disappeared to show him Parker's face the way he had seen her the last time - back on the beach near the Habitat - her skin ashen, with her eyes closed and so vulnerable. The Ice Queen had been gone. She had behaved like any other woman since he had found her unconscious in the house in the woods back in Germany. It had almost seemed to him like they were a family. Now that he was sure that she wasn't his sister he had even allowed his feelings to surface. Yes, he had admitted to himself, he loved her and he would always love her. No matter what happened. He knew that she had been brainwashed and that she might not remember him at all but his love would heal all wounds of that he was sure.
He felt a hand on his shoulders and looked up. Michael was standing behind him holding the phone in his hands.
"Timmy just called. There will be a boat waiting for us in the harbour at midnight. It's called Mayflower. It will bring us to Abashiri on the northern island where he'll be waiting for us."
"He's already up there?"
"He took a plane."
"Why don't we go by plane or by car? That would be much faster than taking a boat."
"The chances that anybody could see us are lower and we have the chance to take a last nap."
"We could have done that in a plane as well."
"I don't know why we are taking a boat. You'll have to ask him when we are up there. Oh and Timmy said something about Sydney."
"Sydney? How is he?"
"I don't know, Timmy said something about Romeo and Juliet?"
"Who said that? Timmy or Sydney? What exactly did he say?"
"Something about Scene II Act II and the first sentence."
"Exactly that?"
Michael nodded and Jarod grinned.
"Then Sydney's alright. It was a hidden code we had when I was young. Do you know Romeo and Juliet?"
"No, can't quite remember it. I had to read it when I was a young boy at school but that's a long time ago. What does it mean?"
"The first sentence of that scene is 'He jests at scars that never felt a wound'. It means he is alright. The scars are still visible but he feels alright. He's a psychiatrist after all and knows all about Raines' methods. He knows how to protect himself. Maybe he's bruised and battered but his mind is shielded from harm. Maybe he makes them believe that he's broken but his mind is as strong as it has always been. Maybe even stronger now. Did Timmy say whether he's free or still held captive at the Centre?"
"No, he didn't say anything about it. Does it matter at the moment where he is? The main point is that he's alright. We have about 11 hours to get ready. I think we have to hurry to get all the things that are on the list Timmy has sent to us."
"List? What list?"
"He mailed a list to us. Things we need and things he needs. Let's get ready."

Abashiri / Japan, Northern Island
02/12/2000, 8.28 a.m.

The ship docked and Jarod and Michael left the boat together with the few other people that had been onboard. Each carried a huge duffle bag. They were dressed like all the other people who left the ship according to the cold weather in warm jackets. Michael saw Timmy standing at a corner to their left and with a nod of his head told Jarod to walk over to him.
"Fine to see you again. Let's leave quickly. I don't know if sweepers from the Habitat are doing controls in this area. I have a car waiting nearby. We have to hurry, I have heard that Raines has come to Japan. That means nothing good. From here we're going eastwards first to a little harbour and than we'll go on by boat to where the Habitat is. The last miles we'll have to walk. Michael will stay in the boat and wait for us and hopefully bring us back safely to the airport where a plane will be waiting for us to go back to Tokyo where we'll pick up Debbie and then off into safety."
"You think everything will work as smoothly as planned?" Jarod asked.
"I hope so. Now let's go."

The Habitat / Japan
02/12/2000, 7.52 p.m.

Timmy and Jarod had been crawling through ventilation shafts what seemed like hours. Timmy stopped and told him to look through one of the ventilation openings. He didn't recognize her at first, she had changed so much. Her hair was longer and pulled back into a tail, her body was thinner than ever, her face was ashen and her eyes - Jarod had to fight back the tears. Parker had a black eye and a scar down her temple. Her eyes looked like those of a hunted deer, large and black but with no focus. She was sitting on a bed, curled up like a baby, leaning against the wall and staring into nothingness.
"Parker, oh my god", Jarod whispered. He wanted to say something else but felt Timmy's hand over his mouth. Timmy gestured towards the door which was just opening. Raines and a man he didn't know entered the room. Jarod watched Parker as the two approached her. She curled up into a tight ball, her hands covering her head. The man grabbed her by her upper arm and pulled her out of her corner. She didn't scream or cry and she didn't resist. It looked as if they were dragging a doll through the room. They moved out of sight. Jarod wanted to crawl to the next ventilation opening but Timmy stopped him.
"They'd hear us", he whispered.
Jarod was nervous and could barely sit still. A sharp scream echoed through the silence and Jarod jumped. He hit his head at the ceiling. It made a dull sound and the two men down in the room looked up. Raines said something and the other man turned back to the unseen part of the room.
"What are they doing to her?" Jarod whispered.
"I'm not sure you're fit for hearing it. Tell ya later when we're outside."
Raines and the other man dragged Parker back towards the bed. Again they held her by her upper arms, her body was limb as if she were unconscious. They laid her on the bed and left the room without another look.
"We've gotta do something to get her out of there!" Jarod wanted to get out of the shaft immediately and take Parker with him.
"No, wait, they'll return in some minutes."
"They're not done? What else are they doing to her?"
"They'll be returning soon, let's get out here fast."
Timmy crawled back into the direction where they had been coming from and Jarod followed him reluctantly.

They reached the outskirts of the Habitat and crawled out of the shaft.
"Didn't they think about securing the shafts after they knew we escaped through them back at the Centre?" Jarod said.
"I don't know. They still think we've escaped through some hidden corridors I haven't found yet. I've overheard Raines and Mr. Parker talk about them once but I haven't found them. They're somewhere on SL 27 and one of them is supposed to lead to a hidden laboratory under the sea."
"Under the sea? I didn't even know such a laboratory existed."
"It's fairly new. They built it about two years ago for a new pretender project."
"A lab just for a little boy? He must have been special." Jarod asked surprised.
"No, but he was supposed to be Raines' project and that alone made it special. Raines hates you for stealing him his project, you know?"
Jarod smiled a little.
"We've gotta go. I think we've tapped into one of their security grids."
"What?"
"Someone's at that window up there", Timmy pulled Jarod at his jacket and moved away fast, "It's not long until they use flashlights and dogs to find those who are walking around their grounds."
They ran along the beach until they reached the first trees. They looked back and saw the Habitat being lit up brightly, people running around, searching.
"You know the Centre people much better than I do", Jarod admitted after having watched the search parties for a minute.
"I've been there much longer than you have and I've learned a lot of things about their security systems and other things."
After a moment of silently moving through the forest Jarod said: "Didn't they want to restore SL 27 for their experiments?"
"It was planned at first but then it was only camouflage to distract Sydney, Broots and Parker from the under sea lab. They still don't know."
As they ran through the dark night towards Michael and the waiting boat Jarod couldn't stop thinking about Parker and the sea lab.
"Timmy, can you tell me more about this lab in the sea?" he asked to distract his thoughts from Parker.
"It's build about 100 yards out in the sea, connected with the main building by a tunnel."
"It has only one exit?"
"No, it also has a watering bay. You can escape through the sea in case of an emergency. It's about 35 feet under the water, so it's possible to survive without diving gear."
"You know very much about it."
"I've been there once. I don't quite know the way."
"Am I mistaken to guess that the corridor is heavily guarded?"
"No, Jarod, you're right. They have video surveillance and a laser grid. It's hard to get in and once you're in it's hard to get out again - alive or not in custody. What do you want in there?"
"I don't know but somehow I have the feeling that they're going to move everything from here back to America and the Centre.. The fact that I've seen Raines makes me even more suspicious. When will we come back here again?"
"Tomorrow. I have my informants inside the Habitat they'll tell me what's happening."

The Habitat, SL 23
at the same time

"Now tell me what I wanna know!" Raines barked.
"I don't know!" Parker whimpered.
"You do, tell him!" a voice said from the door.
"What are you doing here in Japan?" Raines asked, his face ashen.
"I wanted to know how your experiments are working", he answered.
"You knew about this project?"
"Of course, I do. I know everything that's going on in the Center. So, how is it going?"
"Not very good, Mr. Parker. Sir, she's your daughter, don't you care what we're doing to her?" Raines whispered.
"She's not my daughter and no, I don't care what you're doing to her as long as you don't kill her. These experiments save lives."
The door opened and a sweeper entered the room. The same moment Parker's head lolled back and she nearly fell off the chair. Mr. Parker caught her by the shoulder.
"Take her to her room, she won't answer anymore questions today," he said to one of the sweepers who took her and carried her out of the room.
"Mr. Raines, Angelo has been here. One of the surveillance cameras has seen him", the other sweeper who was still standing in the door said, trying to control his irregular breath.
"We've gotta move that girl outa here. Best would be the sea lab over in the Centre. Prepare everything. We move out of here as soon as possible. We leave everything to the local workers. They know how to run the facility without us. The plane will lift off as soon as everything and everybody is onboard."
"But Mr. Parker, the sea lab isn't fully operational", Raines protested.
"Then we'll make it operational as soon as possible. Take everything from the other rooms with you and then go. NOW! And remember, we're not coming back."
"Yes, sir."
Mr. Parker turned to the sweeper who was still standing at the door.
"Is Angelo still inside the building? Did anyone see him?"
"Nobody except the camera. But someone has tripped into the security grid outside. It might have been him."
Raines instructed his team and they went to the room where Parker was. Mr. Parker looked at them until they disappeared behind a corner then turned back to the sweeper.
"You don't want to tell me that he got away, do you?"
"Well, uuh, actually, yes. We still haven't found him."
Mr. Parker left the room without another word and went to the other room. Raines and his team had taken everything with them, except Parker herself. She was still lying on the bed, unconscious. Mr. Parker looked at her.
"You have to forgive me", he whispered, "I'm denying your being my daughter and they're hurting you. But I can't afford to loose my job here at the Centre."