Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: see part 1.

Title: Turn Around Part 11/?
By: Chris
Rated: PG

Kisarazu / Japan
01/04/2000, 4.20 a.m. (Japanese time)

They had to share a hotel room. The only hotel they had found this early in the morning had only one room left so they’ve had no choice. Parker was sitting on the bed, Faith beside her. Michael leaned against the window and Jarod was marching through the room. He had told them his plans of where to meet Broots, what to do with him and Debbie.
“You mean leaving them with a family where he doesn’t understand a word they’re saying? It was bad enough for me in Germany but here in Japan? Poor Broots.”
“He’s no idiot, and they speak a little English. When we return we’ll get them and go to Brazil. I’ve found a wonderful place.”
“Brazil? The next way. Don't you think that Broots would like to accompany us?”
“And leave Debbie? No, Parker, he would never leave her alone. And take her with us is too dangerous. He knows that. And I don't know what happens up there. Maybe this outpost is much more dangerous than the Centre itself, who knows? I wouldn’t wanna risk anything. I don't even like the idea of you coming with us.”
“Thanks a lot. How do you plan to get there?”
“We take a boat to Choshi. Then we change to another boat and go all the way up to Kushiro. That’s on the east coast of the northern island. From there we have to go on by Jeep and later by foot. Still wanna come with us?”
“Of course. Stay here and let you have all the fun? No chance,” Parker smiled, “When are we gonna leave?”
“First we have to meet with that Mr. Broots and his daughter,” Michael interrupted, “Then we can start thinking about leaving. And, uhm, I wouldn’t mind if we found another hotel for the following nights.”
Jarod had to grin. He had seen it coming. Michael knew Parker better than she knew. She didn't recognize him. When Michael had been working at the Centre she had been a little girl and he had still been property of the Centre.
“It’s alright, this room is only for tonight, tomorrow we’ll search for another hotel. I wouldn’t mind my own bed instead of the ground.”
“Who said that you had to sleep on the ground?” Michael asked, “This is a large bed, the two of you can share it, I’ll take the couch.”
“You’re kidding, are you?”
“No, I’m not, Me--- Miss Parker, this bed is large enough for the two of you.”
“WHAT did you just say?”
“I said that the bed was large enough for the two of you.”
“No, before that.”
“I said that I wasn’t kidding.”
“YOU WANTED TO SAY MY NAME! Who told you my name?”
“You really wanna know?”
“Who told you my name?”
“You.”
“WHAT?”
“Hey, stop that, OK?? The two of you shut up and go to bed. Michael, you take the couch and I’ll take the ground. Miss Parker, the bed is all yours.”
“Why did I tell him my name?”
“Miss Parker, please, let’s talk about this tomorrow.”
“No, I want to know it know.”
“You were a young girl when you told me your name. It was before your mother died. Back in those days when everybody was allowed to call you by your name.”
“You knew her? You knew my mother?” Parker asked. Michael only nodded and suddenly he switched off the lights.
“End of discussion.”
“OK, now that the mystery of my name is solved,” Parker sighed, “Why don't you call me by that name? We’re not in the Centre anymore, the hierarchy is gone. I have to get accustomed to it again. I only hope that Broots won’t get it wrong.”
“He can live with it,” Jarod smiled into the darkness.
“Stop grinning,” Parker barked but had to smile herself. Somehow all the tension was gone. She shifted in her bed to get the dog out.
“Jarod, come on, I won’t bite. But don't come too near.”
He took the sheets he had wrapped around himself and laid down on the other side of the bed. It was dark inside the room but a little light from the street lights filtered through the curtains. Parker could see that he had taken off his shirt and was only wearing shorts. He turned his back towards her. Suddenly Faith jumped onto the bed again and curled up between them. Parker patted her head and left her hand on her neck. Suddenly Jarod turned around and wanted to fondle Faith’s fur. He felt Parker’s hand and snapped back. A shiver ran down her spine and she pulled her hand back.
“Sorry,” Jarod mumbled and turned around again. They didn't say a word just pretended to be asleep. What should she do? Try to ignore the growing tension between them? Try to ignore the looks he shot her when he thought she didn't realize? Try to ignore her heart? Yes. It was the only way to live with it. What if it turned out that they were brother and sister? It was too dangerous. They weren’t meant to be together, not as lovers, only as friends. They had to work together, there was no time for a romance. At least not now.

Kisarazu / Japan
01/04/2000, 12.03 p.m.

“I’ve talked to Broots. We’ll meet tonight. They’re nearly in Tokyo. I’ve told him where to go and we’ll meet him there. You know, I like this new hotel,” Parker said and looked around the room. They had an apartment with two rooms. One of them had to sleep on the sofa, but everyone had his own room.
“So, we have enough time to talk about our plans. Parker, I really don't like the idea of your coming with us. Your shoulder doesn’t look very good and we have to do a lot of walking. You can’t depend on painkillers the way you do now. There’s only a limited amount of what we can take with us and we won’t take a whole basket full of pills with us.”
“Jarod, first, I’m strong enough to survive without painkillers. And second, you wanted to call me by my first name.”
“I’ll never get used to it. It somehow sounds strange. I’ve called you Miss Parker nearly all my life. I can’t change that from one day to another.”
“Just try it, OK?”
“OK. Are you really sure you’ll make it? I’d hate to leave you somewhere in the woods because you broke down.”
“I won’t break down. Jarod you’re underestimating me again!”
“Meredith, I’m not underestimating you, I’m just trying to think the impossible.”
Michael came from the bathroom and grinned at them.
“The shower’s cold but whoever wants to b next, I’m finished.”
“What? Cold shower? I hate cold water! But I’m next.”
“No you’re not. You’re not taking a shower with your shoulder.”
“WHAT? But I want to take a shower!”
“Meredith, no arguments, you may wash your feet but no water near your shoulder!”
“My feet? Thanks a lot. I’d rather do nothing. If I may not take I shower I don't wanna see no water at all. The bathroom is all yours,” she said, pouting.
Jarod looked at her and then disappeared into the bathroom. Michael took a laptop from his bag and sat down at the table. Parker took the dog into her arms and sat down on the bed.
“Meredith, have look at this.” She didn't react as he called her by her first name. “Parker!”
Parker looked up.
“Have a look at this, Meredith.”
“I’m not used to hearing my own name,” she sighed and got up.
“These are the files I’ve found about the Habitat.”
“You’ve ‘found’ them? Where?”
“In the Centre mainframe. To be exact, in your father’s files.”
“My father’s files?”
Michael nodded.
“There was more I’ve found but I haven’t found a matching decryption sequence yet.”
He didn't want to tell her that he had found evidence of her not being his daughter but he had decided that it was too early to tell her. He wasn’t sure about everything. Of course, he had found the decryption sequence and the text itself was clear, but it was written in an ambiguous style. What if he told her that Mr. Parker wasn’t her father and then he found out that he was her father? Too dangerous.
Parker stared at the computer screen, she couldn’t believe what she was reading. They had to stop what was going on there no matter how high the costs. She was willing to sacrifice her own life for the sake of those who were caught inside. She realized that she had started to think like her mother. Save others, no matter what happens to you. Her mother had died for the children she had wanted to save.