Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: see part 1.

Title: Turn Around Part 10/?
By: Chris
Rated: PG

Plane / somewhere over China
01/04/2000, 2.26 a.m. (Japanese time)

Nightmares were haunting him. He was dreaming of Sydney, Raines, Lyle and Mr. Parker. All of them were chasing after him, trying to kill him, trying to pull the dying Miss Parker from his arms.
“Jarod, wake up, Jarod!!”
She softly slapped him into the face to draw him back into the waking world. He slowly opened his eyes and looked at her.
“You’re alive? Thank God.”
“Jarod, you’ve been dreaming. We only have about one hour left until we’re there. Don't you want to tell me what you have planned and who told you that Peking was flooded with sweepers?”
“It was planned to be like that. I knew that there was an information leak somewhere in the Centre. I was planned that we fly to Tokyo on January 2nd. I haven’t told you so I could be sure that it wasn’t you who was telling them. The thing with the man in our house was not planned but it came at the right time to make it sound more plausible to leave earlier and to blow up the house. I bought that house some years ago so I’d have a hiding place when I’d come back some day. It was a waste of resources, I know, but I never thought that they’d find us there. Well, a friend of mine was waiting for the Centre people at the airport in Peking. He gave them a scrap book and I hope they’re busy with that. Broots and Sydney were the only ones who knew about it. They were the only ones who knew that we were going to meet in Peking. So it has to be one of them.”
“Broots and Debbie are on their way to Tokyo. Do you think it could have been him?”
“No, he’s too scared of everything, it had to be Sydney. I hate to admit it, but it really had to be him.”
“Jarod, what are you thinking?”
“What?”
“That look on your face tells me your thinking about something you don't want to tell me.”
“I’m afraid. I’m afraid of what we might find out in Japan. That we might find out some connections we better don't know about.”
“That’s not it, Jarod, there’s something else.”
Jarod sighed and looked out of the window. Parker knew what he was thinking but she wanted to hear him saying it out loud. She knew him too well, he had to admit that.
“It’s Sydney. I can’t believe that he has betrayed us. And, yes, you’re right, there’s something else. Michael has found some of the files I’ve been searching for.”
“What files?”
Jarod got up and went to his silver suitcase. He took out a DSA and gave it to Parker. She looked at it and read the title.
“Jarod, what’s this?”
“It says that Angelo is your brother.”
“What about you?”
“I still don't know. We have to find out later, we don't have time for this right now.”
“What are your exact plans?”
Jarod wanted to find out if the information he had was right, if they were really killing innocent people, if they were really experimenting with pain causing medication. And he wanted to know who was the head of this outpost. He had the presentiment that it was someone he knew.
“Who do you think it is?”
“Someone we know. I don't want to be specific right now. We’ll find out soon enough.”
Without another word he got up and went back to the cockpit. Parker heard the two men talk but didn't want to join them.

Airport Kisarazu / Japan
01/04/2000, 3.01 a.m. (Japanese time)

“I never thought that we’d be able to land here. Kisarazu is not far from Tokyo. If we take a boat we’ll be there in half an hour or less. By car it’s longer, we had to drive all around the Tokyo Bay,” Michael said.
“I thought we wanted to go to Hokkaido,” Parker protested.
“We have to meet with Broots and Debbie first. We need to make plans. I can’t take you there by plane and you jump down. Broots and Debbie need a place to stay, a place where they are safe and where we can join them after our mission is completed.”
“You are really thinking of staying in Japan, are you, Jarod?”
“Oh come on, Parker. You know that there’s no place on Earth where we are safe. As soon as they know we’re still alive they’ll hunt us down, wherever we are. It doesn’t matter if we are in Japan, the US or Ouagadougou, they’d find us.”
“So where do you want to go? The moon or would you prefer Mars?”
“Come one, Parker, don't be childish. You know what I mean. We have to choose our identities and the place to stay very carefully, and that needs time.”
Parker sat in her seat, looking out of the window. She hated large cities, especially this one. It held so many bad memories for her.
“I’d never thought that having learned Japanese would do me some good. I always thought I would never utter a word in this language again,” she heard Jarod grin.
“Wonderful story, you’ve told them,” Parker said grimly.
“You’ve understood what I said?”
“Of course I did. I’ve been spending some of my college years in this oh so wonderful country.”
“You didn't like it?”
“Well, except for some romances I hated it. I always felt so deported, as if nobody back in Delaware wanted to have me,” Parker admitted, “Let’s just forget about it, we have other things to do.”
Jarod looked at her and then got up. He started gathering their belongings His silver suitcase in one hand, Faith and her basket in the other he climbed down the stairs.
The air was cool and a soft breeze was coming from the sea. The sky was full of stars and in the distance he could see the Tokyo skyline with all its lights. He imagined what it would be like visiting this city without knowing that they were trying to destroy one of the Centre’s outpost, trying to save a young man’s and a girl’s life and trying to save their own ass. Would everything look different? Would the air smell different? Would Parker be standing behind him, looking down at him from the top of the stairs? Would Michael be with them, trying to help them? Would he be here at all if it weren’t for the Habitat?

Plane / Somewhere over the Atlantic
01/03/2000, 12.26 p.m. EST
(the same time as before..)

Debbie was staring out of the window, her father sitting beside her. Broots was nervous, he was playing with the newspaper he had found on his seat.
“Daddy, why are you so nervous? We’re leaving.”
“I don't know, honey, it’s just—I’m frightened. I’m afraid that they’ll find us.”
“They won’t find us. We’ve checked in with other names, are on a different flight than planned, what can go wrong?”
“There are so many things we haven’t thought of, what they might be thinking of. I don't know, maybe it’s just me.”
“Everything will be fine,” Debbie said and took her father’s hand. Broots smiled and le go of the newspaper he’d been folding into a paper plane.