Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Chapter 19 - The Last Interrogation


Wednesday February 20th, 2002 – 10:20 am (day 30) Again, Broots was there since 5:00 am. He hasn’t slept restfully since Friday… Some of the computers were back up… but with few files to access. The data base was completely erased. He stares at a list of memos all coming to hisdesk.

 

 

 

 

*  Angelo comes strolling in

BrootsBROOTS:
“Angelo, I am still a nervous wreck!  I hope I get away with this but at what cost?  Do you think they suspect? Things are working, the doors unlock, cameras are up again… do you think they will find out? They are bringing in more help, wow, they are good, oh my God I hope I am not being replaced… Look at some of these memos...Angelo.

 

 

 



The Centre Office Memo:
DATE: 2/11/2002 Time: 8:00 am

TO: Mr. BROOTS
FROM: Administration desk

MESSAGE:
Nine sets of twins are waiting for Sydney in corridor 12 for their annual spit testing? We sent them home pending a replacement for a new psychiatrist in the Centre's Psychogenic Research Department.


Also due to computer crashes, a manual system is in place, until the recovery of out computer system . All new records need to be entered manually and forwarded to Mr. Broots See Mr. Broots for help or training on how to do that!

 


 


The Centre Office Memo:
DATE: 2/11/2002 Time: 8:00 am

TO: Mr. Broots
FROM: Admin Dept

MESSAGE:
This is the 3rd person complaining about the bathroom dryer burning their hands…

Broots … You need to reroute this memo to some on who can take care of it!

 


 

BROOTS:
“This one, I just took care of by puttin an "Out of order" note on it ..., but most of these, I just shred…. Take a look my shred basket it is full… “


* Broots presses the intercom on his phone…

BROOTS:
“Hello Sally … please send someone up to take my shred basket immediately”

SALLY:
“We are a little short staffed but we will get it by the end of the day!  … But the SWEEPERS are on their way to escort you to your meeting!”

BROOTS:
“What sweepers, what meeting?”

SALLY
“Your appointment with the tower at 10:30… didn’t you get the notice?”

BROOTS:
“Nnnnnoooooooo?”

SALLY:
“In that case … good luck!”

BROOTS:
“Angelo, the sweepers are coming to pick me up and take me to the tower. When they don’t warn you…it’s bad, real bad! What am I going to do? I promise I won’t tell them you helped me… at least you will be safe! … But, I have to face the committee… Will they torcher me or kill me? Angelo, If I don’t come back will you promise to do what every you can to let Margaret and Emily out, maybe  bring my daughter Debbie to her? I hope you can understand this Angelo!
I can’t leave unless I know they are safe!”

ANGELO:
“Don’t worry Broots, remember rule number 1 … When in doubt … Better Not Tell”

BROOTS:
“Oh no, the sweepers are here … I guess I will see you later Angelo… I will sort the rest of these memos when I get back … if I get back!”

* Broots tosses a stack of memos onto his desk. One of memos flies out of the stack …  In midair, the camera freeze frames on it …

 


The Centre OFFICE MEMO:
DATE: February 19th, 2002 - 12:15pm

TO: BROOTS & CENTRE MANAGEMENT:
FROM: Sally Bright – Sublevel 3 – Children Section (I am the new girl)
RE: PARKER BABY

MESSAGE:
Someone by the name of “Miss B … something” picked up the Baby Parker Boy. She said she was taking him home to his family… to live a normal life?


She said they were naming the little Parker boy after his Great Grand Father?She had most of the paperwork and said she would fax the rest later. My supervisor was out to lunch and she was so nice, so I let him go…


NOTES:
This girl was very young and cute, but she seemed a little odd. She kept smiling and sucking a red cherry Lollipop? … She loved my nails. … Oh, and her escort was a very handsome fellow. I felt a little sad that he was missing his thumb.

This may not have been important information to include in my memo, but I credit my supervisor Mrs. Angus Green who taught me that I should always be through for The Centre. They all left in a hurry.


PS. I hope by taking important management decisions like these (on my own) gets me noticed by the Committee!


Sincerely - Sally Bright


 

* The memo kept flying until it landed upside down in Broots’s shred basket

WILLIE:
“We are here to escort you to the tower… They already had somebody for breakfast and now they are going to have you for lunch!”

BROOTS:
“I guess it had to end sometime”


* Angelo just smiled at him...

BROOTS:
“Don’t worry Angelo, at least you will be safe … you have my word… Why are you smiling? Sometimes I wish I could have such a simple innocent mind like yours … Here I go… Good by … Angelo”


* Broots was escorted to the tower and sat down outside waiting to be called … one of the last things he thought about was daughter, Debbie….

 



10:39 am Broots was waiting outside the Tribunal room when the door opens. He looks up and sees Miss Parker is coming out of the committee. He stands up and says…

MR BROOTS:
“Miss Parker, are you just coming out of the committee? I guess I am next?


* She did not answer… she just looked at him for a moment … and then said…

MISS PARKER:
“I am going to miss you the most … scarecrow!


* And then gave him an unmentionable long passionate kiss … smiles at him .. And then she walked out!

* Two sweepers who escorted Mr. Broots inside the room

VOICE 1:
“Come in Mr. Broots”

 


* Mr. Broots, looking around nervously, stumbles as he takes his chair.

Voice 1
“All our files have been purged. “Alex” the pretender did a pretty good job of destroying everything… we have only a few tapes showing the destruction of our facility…


Mr. Xavier, Mr. Yatz, Mr. Zulac were all assassinated by an unknown assassin. It happened quickly in perfect timing within a 2 hour window. The triumvirates no longer associated with the Centre. Once the scroll were lost, the cloning facility
destroyed and their main people, vanished they had no further interest us.

The world is changing and so are we…We were going to put Mr. Andres in charge, but he lacks the experience. We feel you are the one who can put the Centre back to order”

MR BROOTS:
“I am?”

VOICE 1 Continues:
“Mr. Broots, we need to know … are you able to keep secrets … even from friends?”

MR BROOTS:
“I, uh, pretty much … think I can”

VOICE 1:
“Ok Mr. Broots, your expertise in this matter has presented you the best candidate. You are now given the title of Chairperson and complete charge with the running of The Centre. … Under of course the direction of the Committee!”

We will assign you two personal sweepers… Sam, Willie … follows his orders!”

* Two sweepers Willie and Sam came in and escort the confused Mr. Broots out of the Tower…

BROOTS:
“Where are you taking me?

SWEEPER SAM:
Your new office … Sir.


* Broots was taken to Chairman Office. On the door reads “MR. BROOTS - CHAIRPERSON”

SWEEPER SAM
“What are your Orders sir?

MR.BROOTS:
Un, I don’t know … I wish I could just release Jarod’s mom, his sister and oh yea, Harriet …They have all suffered enough.


* Sweeper Sam talks to the other sweeper’s ear

SWEEPER SAM:
“Done Sir, anything else Mr. Broots?”

* Still stunned by what just happened… He said with a questionable tone

MR.BROOTS:
“I would like Angelo put under me as personal assistant?”

SWEEPER WILLIE
“Bring Angelo”


* Feeling his new found authority …

MR.BROOTS:
“And I want a new Funnion machine!”

SWEEPER SAM:
YES … Mr. Broots!


* Angelo walks Broots looks at Angelo with a striking grin…

MR.BROOTS:
“Good to be the King … Hu Angelo?”

ANGELO
“Mr. Broot?”

MR.BROOTS:
“Yeeessss, Angelo?

ANGELO
“I wouldn’t push it”

MR BROOTS: (Whispers)
“Uh, yea … Right…”