Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Chapter 18 - Better Not Tell


Friday – February 15th – 2002 – 8:30 am (Day 25) Broots, was all by himself and did not know what to do. Everybody was gone. There was no management. All the sweepers were called out for an emergency. The only one left was Angelo. And Angelo kept coming and going giving Broots different Memos. Broots starts talking to himself…

BROOTS:
“I am a nervous wreck. Too many things are happening. First Jarod his here, then Jarod escapes, Mr. Parker running Center, Mr. Parker disappears, then Mr. Lyle is running the center, Mr. Lyle gets thrown out, Mr. Lyle dies, comes back to life, loose a thumb, gets forgiven, comes back to center, works with Miss Parker, finds out he is her brother, Bridget tries to kill Mr. Parker, then they get married, they have a kid, Bridget dies, house explodes, Mr. Raines dies, Mr. Lyle steals his thumb, Mr. Raines not dead, Mr. Parker comes back, goes into a coma trance, then the Scrolls come into play, Triumvirate running all around center, they vanish, Jarod and Miss Parker get caught on an Island, Mr. Parker comes out of a trance, gets the scrolls, jumps out of a plane, Mr. Raines takes control, takes his thumb back from Mr. Lyle, deadly secrets everywhere, Miss Parker was Mr. Parkers Daughter, then Mr. Raines, then someone else? Mr. Lyle is now Mr. Raines Son, Alex survived a 100 foot fall, now working with Mr. Parker, The whole Project Gene Explodes, no one how knows who died, who survived, Angelo is now Miss Parkers Brother, the Center is compromised, the computer are damaged, I cannot contact Miss Parker or Sydney, Mr. Lyle is Gone, Mr. Raines is gone; Willie and Sam are together looking for them. Jarod’s mom and sister are being held on level 7, Major Charles is rumored to be dead, The Centre in turmoil… And Jarod I can’t believe what happened to him? I am here sorting all these files wondering which to save, which to encrypt what? I really need to get another  job… This could make a person crazy, and could end up talking to themselves”


* Just then a girl from Level 4 comes and hands boots a new memo as Broots  looks up

 

BROOTS:
… and … Aahhh…

The GIRL:
“I am sorry, did I scare you Mr. Broots? This came in, a global Centre Memo”

 



The Centre Office Memo:
DATE: 2/15/2002 TIME: 8:00am (Day 25)

TO: ALL CENTRE MANAGEMENT, EMPLOYEES, WORKERS, AND ASSOCIATES:
FROM: THE CENTRE TOWER
SUBJECT: REPORT INFORMATION TO

MESSAGE:
Due to the recent crash of computers, all memos, notes are to be directed to Mr. Broots Sub-Level 12.  Mr. Broots is now in charge of directing all information to proper department.


 

BROOTS:
“Who me, scared? No, oh I was just practicing my speech, um, who are you?”

ANN:
“You almost had it right … my name is Aaahhhnnn. Yes, my name is Ann. I guess I will be reporting to you from now on Mr. Broots.”

BROOTS:
“Um, thanks, do you work here?”

ANN:
“I am the systems analyst on Level 4 with my sister Lucy, and her husband. Do you know Bob the midget?”

BROOTS:
“Yes I know him great guy, with a red eye patch…”

ANN:
“Yea, that’s him … Maybe I will see you later!”

BROOTS:
“Hey, do you like clowns?”

ANN:
“Uh, Love them…”

* Broots watches Ann walking out the door and starts talking to himself

BROOTS:
“Oh, Yea… I’m in!”


* Broots turns his body but not his head and walks toward his desk not looking

BROOTS:
“Ya, Smmoooth, I’m puff daddy! … Aaahhhn ..ngelo! You snuck up on me again … But I wasn’t scared… just practicing my speech…”

ANGELO:
“Urgent memos … Broots …. You need to see!”

BROOTS:
“Angelo, these are for copies for Mr. Raines…”

ANGELO:
“Not here … you’re in charge”

 


The Centre Office Memo:
DATE: 2/10/2002 Time: 5:00 pm (Day 20)

TO: Mr. Yatz
FROM: Mr. Xavier
SUBJECT: Deadly Plot


MESSAGE:
There is a plot to destroy Triumvirate heads. I am sending this notice in advance even though you will not get there for another 2 days. You are ordered to gather and box all your data on Project Gene from Mr. Raines and deliver it to our safe house I will be picking it up there and deliver all records to Mr. Zulac

 


 

* Just as Broots finished reading it, Angelo hands him another...

 

 


The Centre Office Memo:
DATE: 2-11-2002 TIME: 7:31 am (Day 21)


TO: MR Yatz
FROM: Mr. Xavier
SUBJECT: Capture of Margaret and Emily

MESSAGE:
Margaret and Emily are surrounded and will be taken to the Centre, level 20 holding cell. When you get there, take them to the lab and initiate DNA experimenting.

PROJECT GENE has cracked the pretender DNA code. As soon as you return, all data will be downloaded to PROJECT ACCELERATION.

 




* Angelo hands him a few more memos

 

 


 

The Centre Office Memo:
DATE: 2/11/2002 Time: 8:00 am (Day 21)


TO: Mr. Yatz
FROM: Mr. Zulak
SUBJECT: New Centre director

MESSAGE:
Moments ago, we just got word Mr. Xavier has been executed. Since we knew you were on route to the Centre I sent this memo in advance. Contact us the moment you receive this letter.


PROJECT GENE has been destroyed. No survivors. We have unconfirmed reports presuming the deaths of MR. Raines, Mr. Lyle, Mr. Cox, Major Charles, Sydney, Ethan and Jarod. It is unsure if Miss Parker got away, her GPS signal is week but still active. I need to go to the project to see if anything can be recovered.
You have been briefed and up to speed on all current projects. You are hereby order to take over as Centre Director. Continue with all directives.

 


 

* Angelo hands him another

 


 

The Centre Office Memo:
DATE: 2/12/2002 1:00pm (Day 22)

TO: Mr. Andres
FROM: Mr. Baker.

SUBJECT: New Centre director:

MESSAGE:
It has come to our attention Mr. Xavier, Mr. Yatz and Mr. Zulak have all been executed. They were the heads of a top secret project involving PROJECT GENE and what they call a “Pretender Program”


It happened some time yesterday between 7:00 – 9:00 am.  Since you are now the highest ranking person you will take over the Centre, until the tower elects a
director. The only one who knows of all the projects or can get to these is Mr.  Broots. Have him find and reconstruct every project. If he can do that, he will earn quite a position in the Centre. I know you will begin completely blind, but you must find out what Mr. Xavier, Mr. Yatz and Mr. Zulak were doing with Mr. Raines. See if this project is worth continuing.

 

 


 

BROOTS
“Angelo, this is horrible… it is going to start again with new people! All this data … what is next?”

ANGELO
“To help them ... someone must know the secrets …”


* Angelo drags Broots over to his computer and punches up the security code he used to secure the Centre, just before the complete crash that was caused by Alex. Angelo pointed out the the holding loop freezing the code Alex used to trap the Centre



BROOTS:
“Angelo, this is the killer worm virus that Alex wrote! It is designed to copy, encrypt and destroy all data on the Centre’s entire main frame. Angelo, it’s in a holding loop counting to 100 billion seconds… waiting to transmit and destroy. That’s funny, how did that server get offline? We must be in luck, it did not transmit and the killer worm virus did not execute! … We can save all the Centre data …


* Angelo grabs Broots and pulls him into a secret computer room, one Broots has never seen before. A huge box of the missing DSA files was on the table!

BROOTS:
“Angelo you took all the files from?”


* Angelo expressed a creepy nod then a smile

ANGELO:
“Broots needs to know what he can never tell”

BROOTS
“Are you going to destroy them, Angelo?”

ANGELO:
“No Broots, you are in charge, you decide what is best”

BROOTS
“I don’t know Angelo. If I recover all of these, I could be head of the Centre. They would give me my own office, my own secretary maybe even Centre Director!”

ANGELO:
“People died because of these secrets … Catherine, Gemini, Mrs. Raines, Kyle, Jacob, Ocee, the Vespasians, Tomas Gates, Sweepers, directors, Triumvirate and now missing Mr. Parker, Mr. Raines, Mr. Lyle, Sydney, Ethan, Major Charles, Jarod and Miss Parker. And Jarod mom and sister in danger! ... How many more Broots?”

BROOTS:
“I have the power to destroy Centre property, purging of all records at the cost of losing my life, but if I do not, they will destroy what left of Jarod’s family and so many new children. How can I look my daughter in the face letting this continue? I am the only one who can sink these files. I don’t know if I can … but if someone has to take the fall … let it be me!


* Broots sits down at the terminal, takes a deep breath, looks once more time at Angelo and presses the execute button on the keyboard.… The computer launches the worm and started destroying all data including the encrypted files. It creped through the entire network, every station and every program. It even the erased and paralyzed all surveillance cameras, the phone system and security. It took down the entire Centre.

BROOTS:
“We have to destroy these DSA as well Angelo …


* Broots tosses all the DSA disk into the incineration fire ….

BROOTS:
Well, that is it Angelo…”

ANGELO
“Just one more Broots”

* Angelo takes Broots into Sydney's office. On the back wall, Angelo pushes a loose board and pulls out one last DSA and puts it in Sydney’s terminal.

 


DSA: FOR CENTRE USE ONLY:
SUBJECT: FILE#: ********

* Sydneys face was on the screen.


"If anybody is watching this DSA, it is because it appears that both myself and my brother are dead. I am contemplating killing Mr. Raines because of the mistreatment he has been doing all these years. My brother is still at Mount Pleasant home in a coma. There is an order to capture Jarod when he attempts to make contact with his mother. If my attempt to kill Mr. Raines fails, I want to let whomever is in charge of the Centre to know the monstrosities that I have let happening. I am giving the only password to Angelo with a promise to show this to whomever in charge. He is harmless, but he will help you.


There is only one person, other than myself that knows what I am about to disclose. No one knows these secrets, not even Angelo! We were told that when the Centre that merged with NuGenesis we would take on their Charter to enhance the true potential for all human life.

Sadly, the directors had other motives and were more interested in control and power than human growth. Those who opposed them were soon killed. I apposed them, but my brother paid the price.


I made a promise to protect the children and as well as an oath to the previous director of NeGenesis to help the Centre change back to the original Directives and Charter. But as long as orders were given from the Triumvirate in Africa, this dream was impossible.

Sadly, Angelo was as victim of this perverted technology and lost his ability to independently reason. So I instructed him on where locations of files and backups in case the whole system must be destroyed.He will show you everything the Centre is doing and toying with people like they were experimental cattle.


They were planning to breed Jarod and Miss Parker to result an Inner Sense Pretender and splice in the Parker Gene to further the Parker Legacy. They allow them to get close only to throw them apart. It was a psychological ploy to keep them together.


Now that you know … don’t tell them. Let their lives be their own. Let them live happy on their own terms . Let them follow their own path, not some superstition or prophecy or control.

As my brother Sydney once did …
JACOB

 


 

BROOTS
“That was Jacob … Oh my God … … Sydney was Jacob and Jacob was Sydney all this time … this is just way too much!”

ANGELO
“We are the only ones left who know all the secrets? It is keeping secrets… that will keep people alive. It is how we survived. You must learn to keep secrets. Broots, can you PRETEND to not know?”

BROOTS
“Sydney once told me that it is better not to know, than to try and forget. Now I know what he means …

ANGELO
“Secrets keep the balance between life and death. Few can do that.  You are the last PRETENDER Mr. Broots!”

BROOTS
“Angelo … Toss in this last DSA into the furnace!”


* Angelo tosses Jacob’s last DSA into the fire and smiles


Broots
“It’s Friday night, Angelo. I don’t know if I can sleep or what Monday will bring.  I am taking my daughter to the zoo and spend as much time as I can with her While I can … See you”

 


February 16th, 2002 8:30 AM Saturday Morning (Day 26)

MR. JASQUIN
“Hey, hey … Mr. Maintenance man… I can’t get into my office? All the computers are down. The elevators don’t work either… what is going on?”

JACK
“Yea, craziest thing I have ever seen. It’s throughout the whole damn company; all the computer server are completely down!”

MR. CHESKI
“I was called in as an independent computer consultant, but I cannot do anything without any access codes. I was told a Broots somebody may have them!”

MR. JASQUIN
"We have been calling him all morning, not at home, doesn’t answer his phone. Yep, we are officially screwed! No accounting today!”

JACK

“They told me to come back tomorrow, but God help him on Monday when everybody else gets here!”

 


February 17th, 2002 8:30 AM Sunday Morning (Day 27)

JACK
“Hmm, can’t clean rooms, can’t open doors, can’t take out trash, can’t do windows … looks like we are done. Good thing we get paid by the day…. And a crew of 50 for two days … And I manage them … Ok everybody, we are finish here, let’s go!”

 



February 18th, 2002 9:30 AM - Monday, (Day 28)

ANN:
“Mr. Broots, where have you been? All servers are off line…. “

BROOTS:
“Just away with my daughter”

MIKE CHESKI
“Mr. Broots, I have been called in to get your serves back up, there are 15 of us waiting in your lobby at your disposal and do you have the access codes”

ANN:
“Oh Mr. Broots, Miss Parker is alive and will be here on Wednesday!”

BROOTS:
“Miss Parker, oh no, she is going to kill me for all this mess, I had better start  getting the Centre back in shape! Oh God, ok I need help …. Mr. Cheski… I’ll get on it right away!”


* Broots worked through the day, locating codes, filing, programing working with the tech team he finally stop late night 11:57 pm. The Exhausted Broots puts his head down on the desk

 


Tuesday morning 8:00 am (Day 29) Broots was found sleeping at his desk on a chair

BROOTS:
“Oh my God, chairs don’t make good beds, I have a lot of work to do, what day is it?”

 


Tuesday (Day 29) 3:30 pm In the Bob’s back office of Level 4

WILLIE:
“Thanks Bob, I was bored stiff and I don’t have anybody to report to anymore“


BOB:
“Hey, it’s your money, cost you $10 hand!”

WILLIE:
“I am in”

SAM:
“Hmm, I’ll open with $50”

WILLIE:
“So Chip, what is it that you do here?”

* Chip just stares at him

BOB:
“That’s Mr. Greenfelt to you and I would not ask if I were you…”

WILLIE:
“OK… so, Sam, how do you like working for the Ice Queen … I am in”

BOB:
“See your 50 and raise you 20”

SAM:
“No problems Willie, as long as I don’t make a mistake … I’m out ..  Yesterday, I picked her up in little town off the coast she was pretty beat up. The Word is … Jarod is dead, Skelitor may be too!

WILLIE:
“Here is your 20, and I call… you in Mr. Greenfelt? That’s right don’t ask … Sam, that’s Mr. Skelitor to you….. Working under him was great but sometimes it got a little weird. Damn Bob, you took all my money… Bob, who are you assigned to?”

BOB:
“Can’t tell you … they just put me where they want me, once I had to dress up like a green witch and give flashlights to Broots, Miss Parker and Sydney… they didn’t even know it was me? … I am in with another $50”

SAM:
“You can’t be that lucky … I’ll see your bet …  Weird Willie, … in what way?”


* Chip Greenfelt silently puts in $50 and tops it with another $50

WILLIE:
“I’ll see your $50. While he was hiding in his Holy Roller act … he washed my feet?”

BOB:
“OK time for the big boys … here is your $50 and bump $100”

SAM:
“Eeuuww, damn, I don’t know how if I would handle that … Buck fifty from me? … all right am in.

* Chip puts in a matching $100

BOB:
“Can you beat three bullets over jacks?”

SAM:
“That’s three in a row, Bob! You must be cheating… that’s my paycheck …”

BOB:
“Hey, man’s got to eat”

WILLIE:
“Damn boy, how much do you eat, you only weigh 50 pounds. and where the hell is your red eye patch?”

BOB:
“Never wear it when I play poker … and my wife feeds me whatever I need … If you know what I mean!”


* Chip Greenfelt stands up silently and leaves the room


SAM:
“I don’t know what is creepier, that Greenfelt guy, Raines washing Willies feet or Bob telling us about his wife feeding him? Willie, do you know who you are going to be assigned to next?”

WILLIE:
“Don’t care! As long as it is not somebody weird, like Broots. I can’t deal with intellectuals or people who are too honest, gives me the creeps. Give me some egotistic, ruthless tyrant anytime, I know where I stand with them. But no matter who we are assigned to, we just keep doing our jobs… by the way Sam, we get to take BROOTS to the tower tomorrow at 10:30 am, I plan to let him know at  10:25

SAM:
“For non-directive interview, aren’t you suppose to give them 48 hour notice?”

WILLIE
“Oops … I guess I just forgot …”

BOB:
“Don’t be too cruel on him, I think Ann, my wife’s sister likes him”

WILLIE:
“Yea right, he is a real hunk … Breakfast tomorrow Sam?”

SAM:
“Be there at 8:00"