Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Author's Chapter Notes:

For those who have not seen the series, this prologe will get you cautht up!


 

Prologue:


(For those who have not seen the entire series)

 

the Center

The Centre is a private corporation located in Blue Cove, Delaware. Its function is to accept contracts from various sources and provide them with information. This information is obtained from "candidates" of the Centre, children and adults with a variety of unusual talents. They are kept in an isolated environment to make them more productive.  Those in charge of the Centre are collectively called "The Tower," The hierarchy consists of a Council Chairman and a Director. There is also an African group called the Triumvirate which has ultimate charge of the Centre. The Centre merged with a medical health facility, to analyze the differences in peoples DNA and intelligence. It became the main obsession of the Centre. They started experimenting and manipulating genetic coding … to find or create pretenders.


PRETENDERSlogo:
Pretenders are "geniuses with the ability to become anyone that they want to be." Most pretenders had limited abilities and needed to be trained to bring out their talents. In 1963 the Centre discovered a young natural pretender named Jarod. He had the highest skills they had ever tested. He became Prototype #1.  Jarod is able to convincingly reproduce or "simulate" any experience, and correctly analyze the results. Also with very little preparation, is able to take on any profession. He doesn't impersonate--he actually becomes whatever he has chosen to be.

 

JAROD:


A four-year-old Jarod was abducted from his room one night by Sweepers (Centre agents) and isolated him within the Centre for over 30 years. Sydney took control of Jarod’s progress. Jarod was tested with many simulations to find the cause of accidents or create prevention to disaster. He once sat in a sphere simulating a space capsule that was destroyed and the crew died … he yelled “I am burning, I’m burning!” In another simulation his actions saved the crew’s lives by using the gravitation of the moon to return to earth.  When Jarod was older, he discovered that some of his simulations were misused and sold as military contracts or even to the highest bidder. His perception towards the Centre soon changed. It appears that hundreds, of people died because of what he "thought up".  Jarod felt betrayed, especially by Sydney, both for lying to him and for keeping him locked up all these years.

 

jarod free

In 1996 Jarod escaped along with all the DSA (Digital Surveillance Archives) records of his entire life and work.  He is now determined to help people and become an avenging angel for the weak and abused. There is a driving force inside him that keeps him running. It is his way of compensating for the damages his simulations may have caused to others.  Jarod does not know who he really is and started to search for his family. As he travels and searches for answers, he becomes what he needs to become within moments and with a brief study he becomes a doctor, lawyer, dentist, life guard as well as many others. He chooses a new last name each time he “pretends” at a new job or location. For many years Jarod was told that his parents had been killed in a plane accident. He later found out that this was a lie. Through searching he found that his mother's name was Margaret and his father's name was Charles, a Major in the Air Force. They both have been searching for him since he disappeared. Jarod also found that he had a brother named Kyle, who was also kidnapped by the Centre and a sister named Emily, living with his mother. He was almost united with them but the Centre intervened and blocked his rendezvous. It seems the Centre does not want him to know about his real past. He finally found his father, Major Charles. And with his help they discovered that the Centre had created a Clone of Jarod, a 12 year old younger version of himself named Gemini.  Jarod and his father rescued Gemini who is now living with his father but Jarod keeps searching for his mother and sister.


MISS PARKER:
Miss ParkerMiss Parker is the daughter of Mr. Parker, the Centre Director. She has been associated with the Centre since she was born. She met Jarod when she was very young, just before her mother, Catherine Parker died. She shares a childhood with Jarod and also gave him his first kiss. She does not know it, nor will she will ever admit it, but she has a primal bond with him. She was call in to find him after he escaped. She has a deal with her father, to find Jarod and return him to the Centre. Once Jarod is returned, she will be able to leave The Centre for good, to be on her own terms. Everyone addresses her as “Miss Parker”, but her father is the only one who calls her “Angel”. Her real name was whispered in Jarod’s ear when they were young.


BROOTS:
BrootsBroots is a highly intelligent computer electronics technician and researcher. He is assigned to help Miss Parker and Sydney find Jarod. He is a little intimidated by Miss Parker and deathly afraid of Mr. Raines. But he is always there to support and solve any technical or computer problem the Centre throws at him. He has a young daughter named Debbie, of whom he won custody from his X-Wife, (a selfish, self-centered person with a gambling and substance abuse problem) with the help of Jarod. He has been actively helping Miss Parker and Sydney search out the mysteries of The Centre along with aiding the capture and return of Jarod.

SYDNEY:
SydneySydney is a psychiatrist in the Centre's Psychogenic Research Department. He seems to be responsible for training a number of children with various talents, just as he did with Jarod. He performs many unusual physiological experiments with twins, people and sometimes animals. We have seen twins wired to each other to see if both react to a shock administered to only one, children blindly guessing unseen shapes or counting tooth picks with a quick glance as they are poured out, or even various sized people eating watermelon to follow the brain sensors as they consume. No one really knows what his research and experiments produce. But with Jarod, Sydney became his captor, teacher and the only father figure he had growing up. Sydney also had a twin brother, Jacob. Jacob also worked for the Centre before he and Sydney were in a car accident which left Jacob in a coma for several decades. Before Jacob died, he answered Sydney’s questions about Jarod's past with a single word: “GENE”

 

Mr. RAINES:
Mr. Raines is a man with no apparent conscience and inscrutable use of power. RainesHe runs experiments, with no thought to the children, to find ways to stimulate their mental power. He exposes them to drug testing, torture, verbal abuse and hate to “Strengthen” their survival powers. He has destroyed several children and some of these experiments seem to have backfired on him. For several years he has acted as the Centre’s doctor (Dr. Billy Raines) -- in fact, he delivered Miss Parker and her twin. Raines was married to a woman named Edna, who also worked several years at the Centre. They had a daughter named Annie. Annie was killed by a serial killer. Mr. Raines’s heart remains secretly bitter about how it happened and the inability to save her. Later, his wife mysteriously died in a hospital with an overdose to pain killers. Sydney and Broots discovered that Mr. Raines is actually Mr. Parker’s younger brother and Miss Parkers Uncle. There is a question about Miss Parkers being Mr. Raines actual daughter. A possibility Miss Parker chokes on.

 

MR. LYLE:
lyleMr. Lyle is Miss Parker’s twin brother born from her mother Catherine Parker. Mr. Raines claimed that Lyle was still born and died, but Mr. Raines took him at birth. His adoption was arranged to a foster parent who mistreated him. Mr. Raines also interfered in his adolescence, turning Lyle into a psychopath killer. Lyle killed his best friend and framed his foster father. He is very intelligent with a high degree of self-preservation. He finds powerful positions and stays with them. He lost his thumb to the Yakusa, a crime family, when he did not deliver a witness against the boss and also lost their money trying. He faked his death several times. When Mr. Parker finds out that Lyle was his son and did not die during child birth, he helped make arrangements for Mr. Lyle to return to the Centre. Mr. Lyle is in alliance with Miss Parker to find Jarod. When Mr. Raines was shot and left for dead and lying unconscious in the Centre’s infirmary, Lyle stole his thumb. Little did Mr. Lyle know that it was not long before Mr. Raines was put back into power and did not forget about it.

 

ANGELO:
Angelo was also stolen by Centre when he was very young. His original name was Timmy. He is very intelligent and empathic, but all traces of his original personality were destroyed soon after he arrived to the Centre when Dr. Raines used him in neuro-shock experiments in SL-27 (A secret sublevel in the Centre). Dr. Raines reported that Timmy was release back to his parents but he really kept him there and changed his name to Angelo. Angelo is misunderstood but is still used by the Centre for his empathic ability and skills as an emotional sponge, picking up and channeling the emotions and feeling of objects touched by the targets. He has a harmless loving spirit that helps anybody he is  ssigned to.  Angelo, since he was young love moving through the air vents. Like a hamster, he could secretly travel anywhere in the Centre. They always thought him harmless and dim witted and never questioned him when they found him wandering. They lured him out by giving him Cracker Jack.

 

MR. PARKER:
Mr ParkerMr. Parker was Director and head of the Centre for many years. It remains unclear whether Mr. Parker was in full knowledge of all the operations happing in the Centre orchestrated by Mr. Raines.cHe remains evasive in his answers to explain all the secrets. He is the grandson of Mr. J. Parker (Also known as the crypt keeper). His grandfather is known to be the one who found the ancient Scrolls on Carthis, an island off Scotland and started the Centre in the early 1900’s. The Scrolls are said to be cursed. These same Scrolls were again hidden, but remain the Centre’s source for power. Once Mr. Parker re-found the Scrolls on Carthis, his orders were to bring them to the Triumvirate. He was overcome by temptation to read the Scrolls and its contained prophecy. A strange look came over him and like a possessed man, he vanished by jumping out of an airplane in mid-flight. He is presumed dead and the Scrolls lost.


CATHERINE PARKER:
CatherineCatherine Parker was married to Mr. Parker. She gave birth to Miss Parker and Mr. Lyle. She had an empathic and psychic gift of “Inner Sense” She can see and hear voices long past and communicate with her children before they were born. When Miss Parker was very young, she was told that Catherine committed suicide in an elevator. But we find out that Catherine had to fake her death to give birth to a son, Ethan. She was unknowingly impregnated without her knowledge with Major Charles (Jarod’s father) sperm under the directive of the Centre. They were trying to create a “Psychic Pretender”. But the notorious Mr. Raines killed Catherin after giving birth to Ethan to exploit his talents. He manipulated Ethan to his own agenda. Ethan later escaped with the help of Jarod and Miss Parker. He is now living with Major Charles and Gemini at a safe house. Ethan, as well as Miss Parker, shares Catherine’s gift of “Inner Sense” Miss Parker has an uncanny resemblance to her mother. “You look just like her” is the common saying. Why her resemblance was so accurate is a mystery that was never solved.

 

BRIGITTE:
BridgetBrigitte was introduced as a “Cleaner” assigned under Mr. Lyle, when he, for a brief time, took control of the Centre when Mr. Parker was absent. (This was before Mr. Parker knew Mr. Lyle was his son) She was assigned to oversee Miss Parker’s progress to capture Jarod. She is often seen smiling sucking a cherry red lollypop. She has a British accent and does not get along well with Miss Parker. She attempted to assonate Mr. Parker and make it look like a helicopter accident, but her plans were foiled with a vicious “deadly girl fight” with Miss Parker. She was thrown into a Triumvirate cell. A few months later, mysteriously and shockingly to Miss Parker, she became engaged to Mr. Parker (her father), got married, conceived and gave birth to a son. (Baby Parker). Unfortunately Brigette died giving birth and the Centre destroyed all the evidence as well as the cabin in the woods where she gave birth to her child.

 


MR. COX:
Mr. CoxMr. Cox is a very spooky and dangerous man. He has been called the grim reaper. He was hired by Mr. Parker to be his eyes and ears at the time of his absents. A glimpse of Mr. Cox’s past, tells him growing up helping his father was a mortician embalming the dead, if he was good. He also collects “Road Kill” and stuffs them again for display. He was the one who pronounced Brigitte dead and torched her cabin. He once terrorized Broots by putting his hand under a bathroom dryer to interrogate him for his secrets. He was also instrumental in abducting “Zoe” to use her as bait to capture Jarod. He still remains a mystery of how he fits in the Centre.

 

 

ZOE:
ZoeJarod helped Zoe when she was running from an abusive relationship. Their chemistry ignited instantly as he helped her gain her freedom. Their romance started when she took Jarod on his first “Road Trip”. She introduced him to her Grandmother. They laughed and spend the happiest times of their lives together until Jarod read an unfulfilled prescription that he found in her open purse. His mood immediately changed when he found out she was dying of cancer. He wanted to help her, but she did not want to go through the danger and pain of chemotherapy. He respected her wishes but his heart was torn. She was later captured by Mr. Cox and Mr. Lyle and was held hostage pending Jarod’s surrender. With the help of Jarod’s father (Major Charles) she was rescued and returned to her Grandmother. She told Jarod that she did seek treatment and was in 100% remission. It was the happiest day in Jarod’s life and he wanted to spend the rest of his life with her. Jarod had to leave with his father (Major Charles) one last time to find his sister, Emily. He promised to return and take her away on vacation and continue where they so passionately left off.

 

SAM (THE SWEEPER)
Sam

Sam is the sweeper that is assigned to Miss Parker. He is one of the Centre’s soldiers. He acts as her body guard, driver, delivery person and all time protector. He will follow her every order and even kill upon command. He is loyal, efficient and always available whenever he is needed.

 

 

 

 

 

WILLIE (THE SWEEPER)
Willie

 

Willie is the sweeper assigned to Mr. Raines. He has a darker side to him. Not only is he Mr. Raines guard dog, driver, delivery person and all time protector, he is also his personal assistant and will follow any order given him from Mr. Raines no matter how unusual. He even follows Mr. Raines’s dirty little tricks without question. It is said that he can out run any escaping person even if they were driving a car. (Except of course, Jarod)