Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Microsoft Word

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: The characters Miss Parker, Sydney, Jarod, Broots etc. and the fictional Centre, are all property of MTM and NBC Productions and used without permission. I'm not making any money out of this and no infringement is intended.
 
 

And Many Happy Returns
by Molly Grue



The phone rang twice.

„Hello."

„Hello, Sydney."

„Jarod, if this is going to be another ‘How could you? /How do you sleep at night?’ conversation, I’ll save you some time. Because I’m a selfish coward, and poorly, respectively."

„My, we’re touchy today, aren’t we?"

„Damn straight, we are. Now is there something that I can help you with, because I’m really not in the mood for mind games."

„Actually, I thought that you might need some cheering up. As I recall, this was never your favorite day of the year. I didn’t think you should have to spend it alone."

„Well, I appreciate your concern, but I do fine by myself, Jarod, really. And anyway, things change so quickly around here that I don’t have much time for self-pity."

„Oh, come now. There’s always time for that. Believe me."

„And you think that today’s special in that regard?"

„Well, isn’t it?"

„Jarod, I miss my brother every day of the year. For many years he was the only family I had, and we went through a lot together. But—you’re right. Today it’s worse."

„I miss my brother, too. I know I really didn’t know Kyle very long, and our relationship wasn’t exactly—normal, but he was still my brother and I loved him. It’s not really the same thing, though, is it, Sydney?"

„No, Jarod, it isn’t.  But, that doesn’t make your grief any less than mine. You and Kyle were cheated. You should have had more time together. You should have grown up together with your family. What the Centre did to the both of you was wrong, and I’m sorry for my part in it."

„I know."

 „I hope so."

„Well, I don’t seem to be very good at this whole „cheering up" thing, do I?"

„You’re good at anything that you put your mind to. Anyway, I’m glad that you called. You’ve reminded me of how much I’ve had, and of how lucky I am. Thank you, Jarod."

„Happy birthday, Sydney."

Click.