Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Microsoft Word

- Text Size +

Nightfall in the Big Dipper
Written By: Pretender and Sentinel
**This story contains spoilers for EFC Season 4's "Limbo".

**As for the Pretender, this story takes place sometime between DONOTERASE and THE INNER SENSE. Read with caution if you haven't seen these episodes and everything else in between them!

**********************************
**********************************
You've got nothing to lose
When you've lost it all
And that's a good time to choose
If you're gonna stand or fall
I've got a feeling
Things'll get better soon
Dreams are for dreaming
Dreams are for coming true
Shoot for the moon
Aim high
There's a billion stars
In an endless sky
And one is yours
And one is mine
Shoot for the moon
Aim high
You've got everything you need
If you've got a friend
Somebody that'll whoop your mule
Push you to try again
Pull back your arrow
Stand with your chin up high
Feet firmly planted
Sight with a single eye and
Shoot for the moon
Aim high
There's a billion stars
In an endless sky
And one is yours
And one is mine
Shoot for the moon
Aim high
Shoot for the Moon

Linda Davis
Shoot for the Moon
**********************************
**********************************
The Centre
Blue Cove, Delaware
Sublevel 5, Tech Room

"What is it?" Miss Parker asked as she entered the room. Broots waved to her, but finished his conversation on his global before turning his full attention to her.

"Uh, Miss Parker, where's Sydney?" he asked.

"Broots, I don’t make it my business to keep track of Syd every hour of the day. Now what did you want?" she asked.

Broots cleared his throat. "I've got another lead on Jarod."

"And where is Wonder Boy this time?"

"On the other side in the world. Asia to be exact. Jarod helped Interpol bust up a new smuggling/black market ring," Broots replied, showing her the report he'd found.

"Is he still there?" she asked.

"Probably not."

She nodded. "Get ready. We're going to see what the lab rat left behind."

"What about Sydney?"

She stopped at the door. "I'll find him. You just be ready to leave in ten." She didn't wait for his reply but instead made her way to Sydney's office.

She opened the door. "Syd, Broots has found a--" she stopped as she saw he wasn't there. She picked up a note from his desk that told her simply that he had left for the day and wouldn't be back until early tomorrow morning. She found it strange that he had just left like that. She wondered where he could have gone when he knew that they were close to locating Jarod again.

Her global beeped. "What?"

"Uh, Miss Parker, we're at the portal and ready to go," replied Broots' voice.

"I'm on my way."

**********************************
Near the Lincoln Memorial
Washington, D.C.

The steady flow of tourists was finally starting to slow to a trickle by the time Renee arrived at the Reflecting Pool. Pulling her sunglasses off, Renee began to visually scan the crowd searching for the man she'd come to see. After several seconds had passed, her eyes locked onto the familiar form of his backside as he stood looking at the body of water before him. Smiling, Renee walked over to join him.

"Hello, Sydney."

Sydney looked up when he heard her voice. Smiling he pulled reached out to pull Renee into a hug even as he spoke into her ear, "It's so good to see you, Renee!" As they pulled apart, Sydney offered her his arm and Renee took it as they began to walk slowly around the pool.

"Thanks for coming," Renee said after a moment.

Sydney nodded. "You sounded like you needed someone to talk to, Renee. What's bothering you?"

"I call you because you're a psychiatrist and were a friend of Jonathan's," Renee paused. "I called you here because I need to talk to someone about Joshua."

"Jonathan's son?"

"Yes."

"What has you so worried about him, Renee?" Sydney asked.

Renee stopped walking to stare at him. "You haven't heard then?"

"Heard what?"

"Joshua was arrested by the Taelons and they've imprisoned him on the mothership," Renee replied. They began to walk again as her words sunk into Sydney's mind.

"Oh my- Renee, I think you better start over from the beginning. I am ashamed to admit that I haven't been paying attention to current events as I should but I am have had . . .other matters on my mind as of late," Sydney said.

Taking a deep breath, Renee began to relay the story of what had happened with Joshua and how he'd destroyed the Taelons' precious core energy . . .

**********************************
Mile High Portal Station
Denver, Colorado
3:45 Mountain Standard Time

Jarod blinked as the ID stream released him at an outside portal station of the Colorado Rocky Mountains. He breathed in the thin afternoon air, putting on his sunglasses. No one paid any attention to this traveler who had just returned from the Far East. Jarod had spent nearly two weeks in Cambodia pretending to be an Interpol agent helping the local authorities bust up a ring that had begun smuggling black market items into the country, including Taelon contraband.

Jarod had just ended his pretend that day, and had nearly had a run in with Miss Parker as she arrived with Broots at the portal station. He had spotted them first fortunately and so he had been able to hide before they could see him. It was just a matter of waiting to them to leave the portal station and after that he'd simply portaled Stateside. Miss Parker would be annoyed when she realized her and Broots had JUST missed him.

Again . . .

Jarod smiled as he hailed a cab, because he didn't feel like walking to the place where he'd be starting his next pretend. He was going to be teaching a class for new immigrants to the United States who did not speak English as their first language as surprisingly there were a lot of people who still did not speak the official language of the United States.

The cab took him to the school's location, and Jarod saw that he had just enough time to eat lunch as he was to start teaching that same day. The school was located near a part of town where Spanish was the main language being spoken and the only place to eat near the school was a small open air café called Jorge's, which served authentic Mexican food as part of their menu.

"Buena tarde, señor! Mi nombre es Maria. Cómo puedo servirle hoy?"

[Good afternoon, sir. My name is Maria. How may I help you?]

"Buena tarde, señorita , tendré el especial de la casa."

[Good afternoon, miss. I'll have the special of the house.]

"Y para beber, señor?"

[And to drink, sir?]

"Una cerveza por favor."

[A cold beer]

"Sí, señor."

Jarod looked around at the other customers seated at the four other available tables. There were only a few people several men in fact, who stared at him as though he swallowed a canary. Jarod turned his gaze towards the town, trying to not let their gazes bother him.

"Hola, señor!" a little girl's voice said.

[Hello, mister!]

"Hola!" Jarod replied, smiling at the little girl who had joined him. "Mi nombre es Jarod."

[My name is Jarod.]

"Soy Eva. Soy 4 años de viejo, casi 5. Cómo viejo es usted?"

[I'm Eva. I'm 4 years old, almost 5. How old are you?"

"Eva, no incomoda a hombre!" the waitress scolded the girl. "Estoy apesadumbrado, señor, ella sé para no incomodar a los clientes!"

[Eva, don't bother the man! I'm sorry, mister, she does know not to bother the customers! ]

"…sa es autorización, senorita, ella no me está incomodando en todos. En hecho, amaría tener alguien a hablar con mientras que yo como. Usted importa de si Eva permanece?"

[That's okay, miss, she's not bothering me at all. In fact, I'd love to have someone to talk to while I eat. Do you mind if Eva stays?]

"Por favor, madre?"

[Please, mother?]

"Todo a la derecha, pero solamente si usted es seguro ella no le está incomodando?"

[All right, but only if you're sure she's not bothering you?]

"No, ella está muy bien."

[No, she's fine.]

The woman nodded. "Apenas envíela lejos, señor, si ella comienza a incomodarle."

[Just send her away, mister, if she starts to bother you.]

Jarod spent the rest of his time at the café answering questions from the little Eva. She seemed curious about where he'd come from and she told him that she's never left her home since she was a baby. She had never left the state of Colorado; much less the United States and she asked Jarod about the places he'd visited. It sounded strange to hear, especially the age they were living in with the advanced technologies their alien visitors have given them but some people were meant to just never leave home, he guessed….

**********************************

Renee and Sydney spent the better part of the evening, talking about the situation with Joshua before finally turning to other current events over dinner. Renee insisted on taking them out to dinner saying that it was the least she could do after dragging Sydney away from Blue Cove only to act as a sounding board for her concerns about Joshua.

It was well after 9 o'clock when Renee walked back with him towards the portal station. She hugged Sydney goodnight telling him, "You'll have to let me be your sounding board sometime." Sydney thanked her for the gesture and they parted company. Renee returned, still unsure what could be done to help Joshua.

She drifted off to sleep thinking: 'Maybe the Resistance could find a way to rescue him from the mothership. . .

**********************************

"Good morning, Meg," Renee said as she walked passed her secretary on her way to her office.

"Good morning, Miss Palmer," Meg replying, getting up to follow her inside. Renee placed her briefcase on her desk, gestured for Meg to begin reading off the day's schedule. "And at lunch today the representatives from the Centre are coming in to start the preliminaries on-"

"The Centre? Meg, what day is it?" Renee asked startled.

"Tuesday, ma'am, the 17th," Meg replied.

Renee closed her eyes, and sitting down she briefly propped her head in her hands. "How on Earth did I forget the talks for the most important business opportunity for DI to expand was set to begin today?"

"I don't know, ma'am. I did leave you a memo yesterday about this-"

"Meg, relax. I'm not blaming you for me not being prepared for this today. Cancel all my morning appointments."

"Yes, ma'am."

"I need to spend the morning getting ready for this preliminary meeting with the Chairman of the Centre. Meg, please send in and any files you have for what's on today's agenda," Renee said.

"Yes, ma'am. Anything else?"

"Yes, make sure no one short of the President of the United States or a member of his staff walks through those doors. I have a lot of reading to do before noon."

"Yes, ma'am. Good luck."

Renee barely acknowledged her leaving. "Oh why did this have to happen on a day I am running late!"

**********************************
The Centre
Blue Cove, Delaware
Sublevel 5, Tech Room

"Where did you disappear to yesterday?" Miss Parker asked as she walked in. Sydney was seated in a chair pulled up next to Broots' computer and he had been reading a report when she walked in. Broots was away, retrieving another document.

He looked up at her. "I had something important that needed attending to, Miss Parker."

"Nothing is as important as Jarod, Syd," she replied.

"Jarod can wait."

"Only if we expect to be chasing your lab rat around God's Green Earth for the rest of our lives, Sydney, and I, for one, do not plan to be doing this for the rest of my life," she replied, "Now what was so important yesterday?"

"Miss Parker, I told you once that I have priorities outside of the Centre. What I was doing yesterday fell under one of those priorities I place before my work here at the Centre," Sydney replied.

"What or who could possibly be more important to you than the lab rat?"

Sydney ignored her, turning instead to the report he'd been reading. "Now about Jarod's lair in Cambodia-"

Sighing with annoyance, she interrupted him. "Jarod left very little behind. Except this." She took out his usual red notebook, throwing it down on table before Sydney.

"Yes, Broots told me the news," he said as he flipped the pages. Jarod had cut and pasted only local newspaper clippings, making it very difficult for anyone who didn't read the language to understand. Sydney closed the notebook. "Broots said that he left something else behind as well."

Miss Parker walked over to another part of the room and picked up a box. She returned to the table and dumped the contents of the box before Sydney. Sydney chuckled as he fingered one of the items before him.

"Chinese finger puzzles."

"Syd, explain something to me. Jarod is supposedly one of the most brilliant geniuses in the world, or at least the Centre thinks so, and yet the simplest things often fascinate him. Why is that?"

Sydney sighed, laying the puzzle down. "Because he was never allowed to have the simplest things as a child, Miss Parker." Before she could reply, Broots walked in and handed Sydney the report he'd requested.

"Let’s find Jarod, shall we boys?"

**********************************

Renee strolled down the hall, toward the conference room. She couldn't believe how late she was running – well, a few more minutes to compose herself wouldn't hurt. She ducked into a bathroom to freshen up and splash some water on her face. Her thoughts had dwelt on Joshua especially since her discussion with Sydney last night. She had heard nothing from him since Sandoval had arrested him. Several times she had tried to contact Sandoval to ask, but he refused to give her any answers. She didn't even know for sure that Joshua was still alive, or in what condition he was in. But given that he was at Sandoval's mercy, it couldn't be very good.

She'd find a way to help him. There had to be someone who would get him out – it might cost a fortune – literally. But surely it could be done . . . surely there was a way.

Renee vowed to not rest until she found a way. Joshua didn't deserve to be left up there alone – while he endured only God knew what.

**********************************

When Jarod began teaching at the class, they had all been studying English for several months so nearly a week later, the class was ready for advanced lessons in English to begin. His students consisted of immigrants from either mostly Mexico with a few of the South American countries mixed in. The countries they came from were for the most part still very poor, even in the age of the Taelons. The people in the class wanted a better life for themselves, their families and all were willing to work hard to get it.

On the day that Jarod was supposed to begin the advanced class was the day he finally received Sydney's message about Joshua. Ever since he had started to teach at the school, he hadn't been checking the email accounts he kept opened just to stay in touch with Sydney.

Jarod,

Your help is urgently needed to help someone caught in an unjust situation. I've attached the appropriate information in this email. If you choose not to help, I understand. -Sydney

Jarod opened the attachment and saw several newspaper articles about the son of late billionaire Jonathan Doors. He read of Joshua's arrest at the hands of the Taelons and how following his arrest, he hadn't been heard from. He was being held on . . .

"The Taelon Mothership," Jarod murmured.

He closed the global and his eyes. He wouldn't be able to turn his back on Joshua's plight and Sydney knew that too when he had sent the email. Jarod felt a little angry with his former mentor for doing this because he knew Jarod wouldn't be able to say no, especially after Joshua's grim situation had been revealed to him.

Joshua had destroyed precious Taelon core energy, something that was key to their survival. It stood to reason that Joshua's stay on the mothership wasn't going to be a pleasant one. Zo'or was known for several things, but mercy was not one of them. He'd probably have Joshua executed after they'd tortured him.

"This is Sydney."

"You know me too well, Sydney." Jarod had shut off the video feed of his global link.

"I'm sorry to do this, Jarod, but I know of no one else that can help Joshua. No government will help him for fear of reprisal from the Taelons," Sydney replied.

"What about the Resistance?"

"I'm not even sure that they could help him. He's been heavily guarded on board the mothership. His rescue will take careful planning and calculations," Syd replied.

"The kind that only a Pretender is capable of."

"Yes."

"Sydney, I want to help, but I need to know if this is some sort of trap on the part of the Centre."

"Don't you trust me, Jarod?"

"I've always wanted to, Sydney, but there are times I couldn't. I'll check into this. If I am satisfied it's not a Centre trap, I'll see what I can do to help Joshua Doors regains his freedom."

"Thank you, Jarod," Sydney said but Jarod had already disconnected the call.

**********************************
St. Catherine's Church
Somewhere near Washington D.C.

Renee coughed as she entered the small church. Her eyes scanned the sanctuary and she decided that it had seen better days as several of the stain glass windows were shattered. Dust covered several of the pews while an inch of dust was on the altar along with a tarnished cross, and it was then she noticed that part of the ceiling was collapsed.

"Nice meeting place," she muttered.

"Isn't it though?"

Renee whirled around towards the voice that had spoken from the shadows, leveling a gun in that general direction.

"Are you Jarod?" she asked.

"Are you Renee?" the voice replied.

"I asked first," she replied.

A man stepped forward from the shadows and Renee knew she'd never seen him before. He was in his late 30's if she had to guess and he was holding up his hands in a gesture of peace. "Kara sends her best," he said.

Renee stared at him skeptical before she finally lowered her gun. "Jarod."

"Yes, I'm Jarod."

"Renee," she said, offered her hand, "Don't take this the wrong way but I don't know you. How long have you been a member of Kara's cell?"

"About a month. She hasn't told you about me yet?" Jarod asked.

"Uh, no but then again we haven't had a reason to contact the El Cajon cell lately," Renee replied, sneezing.

"Come on, let’s go outside," he said, indicating the open door.

Renee nodded but allowed him to leave first. They walked outside to a starless night, Renee breathing the clean air in deeply. The chill of the night caused them both to pull their coats more tightly around themselves as they walked around the small church.

"Word has it that you want to free Joshua Doors from his...home on the mothership," Jarod began.

"You've heard right. Joshua doesn't deserve to be held prisoner and tortured by the Taelons, especially not after everything he's been through in the last several months," Renee replied. "And besides, it's the least I owe to Jonathan, keeping his son safe."

"You feel you owe this to him because you feel partly responsible for death of Jonathan Doors?" Jarod asked. "I read the reports, Renee, and you weren't responsible for what happened at One Taelon Avenue. You were controlled by Taelon technology designed to suppress the free will of the people inside those walls."

"I know that! Don't you know that I've also read the reports? I had the best technicians of DI pick that place apart after the computer core was taken offline," Renee replied, pausing for a second. "I showed the same reports to Joshua, and like me his head accepted what the experts were said. In our minds, we both accepted that we weren't at fault but tell me, Jarod, have you ever tried to convince your heart to listen to your head?"

Jarod closed his eyes for a moment, understanding exactly what she meant. How many times over the years had his head tried to tell his heart that he was not responsible for what the Centre did with the simulations he performed for them? And how many times had his heart refused to listen to his head? Too many times it seemed. . .

"I understand, Renee. I understand all too well."

Renee nodded and started to walk again. She waited for Jarod to catch up to her before speaking. "What's your plan for getting Joshua off of the mothership?"

Jarod shrugged. "I thought I'd play it by ear."

Renee looked at him, alarmed. "You are not going to the mothership without a plan because if you are you might as well march right up to Zo'or and ask him to release Joshua."

"Which isn't likely to happen in this millennium."

"Exactly."

"Don't worry, Renee, I'll have a plan before I go to the mothership. Within the week, Joshua Doors will be a free man. I promise you that."

**********************************

Joshua lay still in his cell on board the mothership. Not that he could have moved if he had wanted. His
life had become an endless stream of pain, occasionally broken by a few moments of relief. He hurt – all the time. Sandoval was the one doing most of the torture, at Zo'or's orders of course. During these few moments of relief that he got he never allowed himself to think about what they were doing to him. At first he had fantasized about escaping. Now, his thoughts had turned darker – revenge – what he wanted to do to them if he ever got the chance. And he fervently hoped and prayed that he got the chance to make them pay . . . for him and for his father before Zo'or ordered his execution, a day he dreaded
and in some ways looked forward to.

They had not broken him – not yet. That was the only thing he had left to hold on to. They controlled him– when he ate, if he ate, the pain, the scars, and sometimes they even controlled his memories. He shuddered at recalling how that had felt the first time they had invaded his mind . . . . forcing him to relive the painful memories, manipulating them . . . so the only thing that had kept him sane and grounded was the fact that he still had some power over them – they hadn't gotten what they wanted yet – they were having too much fun trying to actually go ahead and force it out of him.

And Joshua knew that they were close, very close. And they could have forced the information weeks ago, but Sandoval had been ordered to take his time . . . And take his time, he had. Each day he came a little closer to cracking that resolve that Joshua had built up. No, it wouldn't take too much more . . .

He had long ago given up hope of rescue. No one wanted to risk the Taelons wrath and he knew he was out of reach – even for the Resistance. The only human contact he had besides Sandoval were volunteers and a few doctors. The volunteers served as guards and the doctors . . well, he actually hated them the most. Sandoval was evil, but he was following orders and besides, Joshua knew where he stood. But doctors? They were supposed to be protectors of life. Up here, they kept him breathing . . . sure . . . but they were also helping Sandoval perfect the memory invasion technology. And not one of them saw him as a person. Some had even mocked his pain . . . taking notes while the machine slowly ripped his mind apart; watching passively as he screamed in pain, pleading for their help – silently and aloud.

Had destroying the core energy been worth this? Joshua was no longer sure. He had lost all control of his world and his mind. Now, they were slowly taking his soul . . .

**********************************
The Centre
Somewhere on SL-17

"Can you or can you not transfer my consciousness into the bio-surrogate, doctor?" Mr. Raines wheezed out. His time was coming to an end and each day he was finding it more difficult to breathe, even with the tank he had been hooked up to for the last 20 plus years.

"Of course I can, Mr. Raines, but you should know something first.If this transfer is unsuccessful I won't be able to transfer you back to your current body," the doctor replied.

"I'm dying anyway, doctor. I have very little time left. Only this transfer will extend my life. Now prep for the transfer. I want to do this in 10 minutes. Understood?" Raines replied.

"Yes, Mr. Raines. Excuse me," the doctor said.

"Doctor, the tower is not to know about our activities here on SL-17, so don't even think about trying to clear this with Mr. Parker."

The doctor who had been on his way out of the room stopped dead in his tracks and he turned again to face Raines. "But, sir, a procedure like this-- well the tower has to be notified so I can get the proper authorization-"

"Doctor, you have my authorization. I am second to Mr. Parker. That is all the authorization you need. Now get things ready for the transfer," Mr. Raines replied.

The doctor gulped. "Yes, sir."

**********************************

Joshua stirred from his half conscious state as footsteps echoed closer. He painfully pulled his body to a half-sitting position. It was amazing just how many ways a person could hurt . . .

Moments later, Sandoval entered the room. He barely looked at Joshua, pretending he was merely an inanimate object. Joshua didn't recognize the other man by name that entered behind him, but his clothing told Joshua all he needed to . . . Sandoval had brought another "doctor" to "help" with the "project".

Joshua studied the new doctor through half-closed eyes. He wasn't going to passively let them hurt him again. Fighting back might make it worse, but getting some revenge meant more to him now than less pain ever could.

Sandoval finally looked at Joshua, with disgust, as if he were the lowest thing ever to cross Sandoval's path.. . The new doctor studied him too and Joshua imagined that he actually saw some concern and compassion on the man's face.

"Dr. Boone," Sandoval addressed the new doctor, "You may set up and get started if you wish. I will return shortly, after I update Zo'or on the status of the tests."

The doctor nodded, "Thank you. I'm glad you allowed me to come here."

Sandoval nodded, "We can always use someone with your credentials in this line of work, Doctor. If you do a good job on this project, I'm sure we can arrange for you to do some further work for the Taelons."

"That would be excellent." The doctor moved around the room, setting up the machine Joshua had grown to hate as Sandoval exited Volunteers in tow. The man ignored Joshua for several minutes, slowly setting up the equipment.

The man casually walked over to the entrance and looked out. He nodded to himself then turned to

Joshua, "Come on, we've got to leave now."

Joshua just stared at him – what kind of cruel mind game was this?

Jarod came over next to Joshua and Joshua dove at him, trying to hurt him in any way possible before he could call for the Volunteers, certain that this was a trick. Joshua was so weakened by the torture that the man had no trouble stopping his attack. What surprised Joshua was that he didn't call for the guards, nor did he inject him with anything. Instead he said, "I'm really here to help you. My name is Jarod."

At this unexpected turn of events, Joshua balked, backing away as fast as he was physically able. "If this is another one of Sandoval's tricks you can tell him I won't go along this time. I'm not stupid enough to believe that I'll ever leave this ship. I just hope that I'll be able to take a few of you with me when he does kill me."

Jarod remained sitting there; "I'm not lying to you. This isn't a trick. I'm here to get you out."

"Give me one reason to believe you." Joshua whispered, on the verge of collapse again . . . the burst of adrenaline was almost gone.

"A friend of mine contacted me . . told me what happened . . ." Jarod trailed off, "Besides, do you really have a choice?" Perhaps it was best to approach this bluntly; "They're going to kill you if you stay. There is a chance if you come with me. And yes, there is the possibility that I'm lying, but given what I've seen – how much more can they do to you before they kill you?"

Joshua gave a short laugh, "Well that is a reason, but I can imagine some pretty horrible fates if this is a trick . . . But I suppose I don't have much choice – on this or anything else for that matter."

Jarod could see that the man had given up hope but was now seeing a sliver of light in this mess, thirsting for a taste of freedom. Jarod stood and held out a hand, "Trust me." It was a simple phrase, a request and a plea.

Joshua's battered face studied Jarod's, then nodded seriously, "Okay," he whispered taking Jarod's hand.

Jarod helped him stand, shakily – he wasn't going to be able to walk on his own. After a few steps, Joshua began to regain some balance. They were able to slowly make their way along the mothership corridors, Joshua clinging to Jarod.

This part of the ship was fairly deserted, obviously a highly classified section. "We're heading to the shuttle bay . . ." Jarod said. "Then we'll get out of here." Joshua nodded silently. Suddenly they heard footsteps coming down the hall – footsteps that sounded like Sandoval's . . .

Jarod ducked into another hallway, Joshua following. And they both collided with someone else who was in the shadows.

"Liam!" Joshua exclaimed.

Before Liam could respond, they heard Sandoval call, "Who's there?" The footsteps drew closer.

Liam nodded to Joshua, eyeing Jarod suspiciously and then stepped out and spoke to Sandoval, to cover. He desperately hoped he was making the right choice, based on what appeared to be happening. The agent held a skrill aimed at him, "Whoa Sandoval, it's just me. Zo'or sent me down here to find you. He said he found something that he thinks you might find of interest."

Sandoval looked annoyed, "I'll be there shortly Major, I'm going to find the doctor . . ."

Liam looked smug, "Zo'or said it was urgent. He said for you to report immediately."

Sandoval nodded, "Very well. Now, you might want to get back to your own duties, Major."

**********************************

Joshua felt a sense of renewed hope when they entered the shuttle bay. Maybe this man, Jarod, was telling the truth. Maybe he would be able to get out of here and live . . . Life wouldn't be normal, it never could be for him. But at least he'd be free . . .

Jarod helped him get settled into the seat of the shuttle and then jumped into the driver's seat. "So exactly how many times have you done this?" Joshua asked.

"Flying a shuttle? Actually, never." Jarod paused a moment, "I learned to drive on this video game I found. . . It was actually quite fun." Jarod grinned.

"Now I'm sorry I asked . . ." Joshua moaned. "Who ARE you?"

"Just someone who's trying to help." Jarod expertly piloted the shuttle out of the bay and almost immediately went into interdimensional space.

"Where are we going?" Joshua asked.

"We've got to lay low for a few days, then a friend of yours will meet us and take you to safety."

**********************************

When Jarod landed the shuttle, he found that Joshua had fallen asleep in the seat. //Probably shouldn't have told him exactly how I learned to pilot the shuttle. He really has been through enough . . .//

Jarod gently landed the shuttle in small isolated forest in South Carolina. This wasn't where they were staying but there were no portals near where they were going, plus a shuttle or a portal could be tracked. They would have to use more conventional means to get there. He gently shook Joshua awake, and Joshua muttered "Please don't . . . please don't" over and over again.

"Come on Joshua, wake up. We have to get out of here." Jarod inserted more urgency into his voice than fit the situation, hoping that it would counter whatever Joshua was dreaming about.

Joshua finally broke out of the nightmare, groaning as he sat up. "Where are we? Jarod?"

"We're in Nowhere, South Carolina. We need to get out of here before Sandoval and friends arrive . . . "

"I'm safe?" his voice was low and small.

"You're safe." confirmed Jarod. "But we need to move."

Joshua nodded and undid the seat restraints, fumbling a bit. "Where are we going? Are we going to use a portal to get there? They can track portals."

"No, and there are no portals near the place we're going. We're getting there by car. It's going to be okay. Just trust me."

Joshua nodded as Jarod helped him out of the shuttle and into the old vehicle Jarod had left nearby.

"Nice car." joked Joshua.

"Thanks, but it's not mine." Jarod responded as he started the engine and began the road trip to their destination.

Joshua relaxed as they drove through the countryside. Neither man spoke until they found a policeman coming up behind them, lights flashing.

"Jarod?"

Jarod had already seen it, and muttered something under his breath. "Let me do the talking here. I can handle this. And if he asks your name, just ignore him. I'll take care of it."

Jarod slowed and pulled over to the side of the road. The police car pulled behind them and the policeman jumped out and strolled up beside the car on the driver's side. "Hello boys. You going to a fire? I was just noticing that you were driving a tad on the fast side there. You know, that could be rather dangerous." The man said all this rather condescendingly.

"There's a fire somewhere? I wasn't aware that there was one as I forgot to bring my police scanner today." Jarod said innocently. "Has anybody been hurt?"

"Are you trying to be cute, boy?" The policeman stared through the car at Joshua, who sat there nervously.

"No sir." Jarod said, "We just have to be somewhere really soon and . . ."

"Whoa son. I don't want to hear excuses. Now, if you'll both step out of the car . . . nice and slow."

Jarod nodded at Joshua and both complied. The sheriff studied Joshua's face again, "You look familiar to me. I bet the two of you are on the run aren't you?" He pulled out a pair of handcuffs, "I'm afraid you two are going to have to come with me . . ."

Jarod interrupted, "Sheriff, you're making a mistake. I work with the government. I'm going to reach into my pocket for my ID." The sheriff gave a nod, not wanting to upset anyone from the federal government. That's how he'd gotten this rotten assignment. Jarod slowly pulled out an ID card and handed it to the man.

The man's eyebrows shot way up, "The CIA? What are you doing out here?"

"Classified." Jarod said. Joshua eyes bugged in surprise and he could tell that Jarod was enjoying this. Jarod continued, pointing at Joshua, "I'm supposed to be escorting this prisoner to a top secret meeting place. It's highly classified and extremely important. If anyone comes looking for us, anyone at all, then tell them nothing about seeing us. There are several corrupt government employees who would love to get their hands on the information we're protecting."

The Sheriff's expression had gone from one of irritation and condescension to one of wonder. This had never happened on his watch before – never anything this exciting. And he was being trusted to keep a big secret. What he didn't know. Maybe he should keep more of a presence on these roads . . . catch a few corrupt government employees that came this way . . . According to this guy, anyone who came through looking for them was probably a corrupted government employee, so he could arrest them and maybe even get a promotion out of this backwater town.

Jarod smiled to himself as he and Joshua got back into their car and drove away, leaving a very confused sheriff behind. Jarod could see the unasked questions on Joshua's face.

"Who ARE you Jarod? How did you have a CIA badge?"

"I've done some work for the CIA on occasion. I'm not really an agent, more like a temporary consultant but I do have the clearance."

Joshua looked impressed and to Jarod's relief he accepted the explanation, though Jarod sensed that he still held a little skepticism about the situation.

**********************************

A look of irritation crossed Sandoval's face as he entered Joshua's cell to find it empty. All the doctors just didn't understand rules . . . they felt like that since they were doctors they had special privileges to conduct experiments how they wanted to, move subjects where they wanted. Well, he would explain it to this doctor, just as he had the last few. Their experiment was to remain in his cell. Joshua Doors would die there, and Sandoval almost felt sorry for the young billionaire turned experiment. He had endured much over the last few months, but Zo'or would soon tire of dragging out the torture and order his execution.

That would occur, of course, after they had retrieved certain . . . information. But Joshua would never set foot on Earth again. The world already believed he had been killed in a freak accident at the Doors cold fusion plant. Only Kincaid and Palmer knew the truth and if either told anyone and it hit the media . . . it would be proof enough to arrest them as traitors. Actually, Sandoval hoped they would.

Sandoval methodically made his way around the other rooms that the doctors were allowed to use and became more irritated, the longer it took with no results. Finally he went to a computer panel and his eyes went wide. Dr. Boone had left the ship on a shuttle a few hours beforehand, with a mystery guest along for the ride. And there was little dispute as to the identity of the guest.

Zo'or was going to have a fit.

**********************************

Sandoval entered the bridge area, hesitant to approach Zo'or and for good reason. Zo'or had taken great pleasure in ordering, and even watching the torture that Joshua had been put through. When it came to the core energy, Zo'or was a crazed maniac.

"Agent Sandoval, please explain your presence on the bridge."

"Zo'or, I'm afraid I have some rather disturbing news."

Zo'or's voice was an icy warning, "What is it, Agent Sandoval?"

Sandoval's voice returned to its monotone, hoping that would help control the inevitable explosion, "I'm afraid that somehow Joshua Doors has escaped. I have reason to believe that the doctor you chose to participate in the research, Jarod Boone, aided him."

"What?" Zo'or's eyes narrowed, "You have good reason to be afraid, Agent Sandoval. You allowed a prisoner, with information about the Taelons to escape. He is one whom the world will take seriously. Did I not make myself clear that you were to directly supervise all procedures involving him to insure that this very circumstance would not occur?"

"Zo'or, I did not think that . . ."

"That is correct, Agent Sandoval, you did not think. How can you be so incompetent?"

The Taelon paused a moment, long enough for Sandoval to notice that all bridge activities had stopped and all eyes were on him.

"Perhaps, Agent Sandoval, other motivations need to be found for you to follow my orders. I suggest that you find Mr. Doors quickly, before he discredits the Taelons publicly, otherwise, I'm inclined to allow you to take his place."

Sandoval didn't think Zo'or was truly serious about that threat, but he could never quite be sure about the Taelon. And Zo'or's mood swings had become more extreme. Sandoval absolutely hated the Taelon, and this threat only fueled that hatred more.

**********************************

Joshua looked surprised as they stopped at a cabin, tucked away from the main roads. Jarod had been driving most of the day and into the night. He had found himself dozing off several times, his body trying to heal itself.

"Where is this?"

"This is a friend's cabin. We'll be safe here for a while. How are you holding up?" Jarod asked as they entered the cabin.

"I'm just thankful to be here. To be alive – on Earth. I really believed that I was going to die up there. Sometimes I hurt so much I wished that they'd go ahead and do it." Joshua stopped talking and looked slightly embarrassed.

Jarod didn't notice or at least he pretended not to.

"Jarod, there's one thing I don't understand."

"What is it?"

"Why did you rescue me? You don't even know me and just for trying to help they'll kill you."

"Let's just say that I know how you feel and I've been where you are." Jarod paused, "I couldn't let anyone go through the same experience if I can possibly help them."

"Sandoval will never give up on capturing you. And what exactly am I supposed to do? Hide for the rest of my life? I have to do something to help stop what they're doing! I wasn't the only prisoner up there, Jarod. I didn't really get to talk with others, but I know I wasn't."

"You'll find a way to help. Just follow your heart."

"I don't know how to repay you for what you've done . . ."

Jarod shook his head, "You don't need to . . ."

Joshua continued, despite the interruption, "but if there is ever anything I can do to help you, or to help you help other people, let me know."

Jarod grinned and nodded, "Okay. Fair enough." He pointed down a hallway, "Now why don't you go back there and crash. A good night's sleep always helps. Trust me, I know."

**********************************

Sandoval rubbed his eyes as he walked into his office on board the mothership. "What have you got, Tate?"

Tate called up a file on his global link and gave it to Sandoval. "That's everything I could find on the alleged Volunteer Doctor Jarod Boone. The guy has a file on him as long as my arm and the aliases filed for him-- well take a look for yourself."

Sandoval took the global from Tate and after one last skeptical look he played the file on 5 times the normal speed. What had taken Tate hours to compile, he read in a few minutes flat. This man had an extremely distinguished career -- FBI, CIA, CID, NSA, not to mention school teacher, race car driver, and doctor . . . among other things . . .After the file was finished, he snapped the global shut, giving it back to Tate.

"Who the heck is this guy?" Tate said.

"That's a very good question, Tate. Whoever he is, he breached Taelon security. I want him found but not by Taelon resources," Sandoval replied.

Tate laughed. "You're kidding right? Not use Taelon resources?" Sandoval gave him a glare. "Come on, boss, they've got the most extensive resource base on the planet. How do you expect me to find this guy who's obviously a flippin chameleon without making use of them?"

"You're an FBI agent, Tate. Use their resources," Sandoval ordered.

Tate watched him storm out of the room before he shaking his head. It was time to call in some favors at the Bureau, maybe all the ones he'd accumulated over the years he'd spent as a FBI agent. He hoped it was worth it because he had serious doubts that he wouldn't be able to find this guy unless he wanted to be found.

**********************************

Joshua sat up in his bed. He panicked. //Where am I? Am I back on the mothership? What happened to me?// Memories flooded through his mind about meeting that new doctor, Jarod, and Liam and his rescue. But that stuff couldn't be real. It couldn't have happened. It was impossible. And he didn't deserve that . . . why would anyone help him?

Then, slowly, he opened his eyes and a wave of uncertainty, followed by relief washed over him. He was no longer on the mothership . . then he remembered, Jarod had brought him to a friend's cabin. . . He sighed again, closed his eyes and took a deep breath. This was the first time in months he had awoken as a free man. Naturally, he still felt sore from what he had undergone, but a good night's sleep and freedom had made a start at healing some of the scars. And he was really grateful to Jarod for what he had done – risking his life to save someone he had not even known.

Joshua stood and stumbled into the living room. Jarod had warned him that the drugs that had been injected into his system would remain for another week at most and things might seem off till then. Joshua curiously ran a hand over the silver suitcase he had seen Jarod carrying and jumped when he heard someone in the room beyond.

"Hey Jarod . . ." he called, entering the next room. And stopped dead in his tracks when he saw an older man standing there. Stark terror crossed Joshua's face. //I will NOT go back. I will NOT go back//.

"I'm not going back. You'll have to kill me." Joshua backed away, hands searching for something to defend himself with, "What did you do to Jarod?"

The man stretched out a hand, as if to calm him. "I'm afraid Jarod had to leave, but he left you this." The stranger held out an envelope, addressed to him. "I'm not here to take you back."

"Who are you?" Joshua still wasn't sure about this man. His months spent at Sandoval's hands were vividly playing through his mind.

"You don't need to be afraid of me." The man sat, "My name is Dr. Sydney Green. I was a friend of your father's when we were younger."

Joshua froze. Though the man's face was totally unfamiliar, the name actually meant something to Joshua. And the voice fit into his memory as well. It was . . . familiar, now that the name was connected with it . . . Comprehension flickered across Joshua's face, "You arranged my rescue?"

"I had a hand in it, yes."

"Thank you," Joshua said sincerely.

"It's the least I could do." A pause, "I heard about your father's death and I'm sorry. I would have tried to get to you sooner, but I'm ashamed to say that I haven't been paying much attention to current events. I know your stay could not have been a pleasant one."

"Don't . . . you don't have to apologize. You save me, you and Jarod. If it weren't for you, Sandoval would still be . . ." Joshua trailed off, "hurting me."

Sydney looked at him sympathetically.

Joshua ran a hand through his hair, visibly upset, and slowly sank to sit on the couch. He opened the note Jarod left. Sydney noted that after reading it, Joshua seemed to relax even further.

"Sydney? Tell me more about my father. Please?"

"Your father and I became friends during college. We were best friends. But after that we pretty much lost touch. We still sent Christmas cards and an occasional phone call, but we were both engrossed in our work. We always had different goals. Ironically, while I thought mine more noble, Jonathan's seemed to have turned out better."

Sydney then began to tell Joshua stories about their friendship, his father as a college student. Some of the stories made Joshua laugh. His father had not always been Jonathan Doors: Great Visionary. Several hours later they were still talking, but eventually, the conversation dwindled to a halt.

"Thank you for telling me this Sydney. Dad and I weren't really close until right before his death."

"I'm glad I could help you. And even though Jonathan and I lost contact with each other, I know he loved you and your mother very much. He wasn't the type to show his emotions."

Joshua nodded and the two sat in silence for the first time in a while. Joshua stared at the floor. Sydney stared at Joshua, silently analyzing his emotions.

"What do you do Sydney?" Joshua asked, startling Sydney from his thoughts.

Sydney seemed to think a moment, as if unsure what to say, "I work as a psychiatrist for a corporation," he finally said slowly.

"What corporation?" Joshua was somewhat puzzled by the man's reluctance, "And how do you know Jarod? Is he your son?" Joshua saw that Sydney became more uncomfortable with each question.

"Jarod is not my son, but I did raise him, because his parents were unable to."

"Does Jarod work for the same corporation?"

"Let me tell you this the best way I can. The people I work for are very dangerous. They are more dangerous than even Agent Sandoval." Joshua shuddered at that thought. "I do not want to lie to you about what I do, but the less you know the better. I'd daresay that you're already in some jeopardy. So please, do not ask too many questions."

Joshua nodded. He wasn't very eager to get back into more trouble, especially not with people reputed to be worse than his former captor. "What's going to happen to me now?"

"I know that Jarod is to have you meet an old friend who will take you underground. From there, I don't know. I imagine that the only logical thing for you to do would be to join the Resistance . . . Let me warn you about something, Joshua. The place I work for knows things about many people and organizations. They are people no one should tangle with. Your father was wise enough to not get involved with them. I wasn't. Once they get you, they have you – for life. Don't even think about trying to get involved with them, especially to help us. That would only be a death sentence for all of us."

"How will I know who they are if they do approach me? You've been so vague . . ."

"You will know. I will warn you. Just be careful."

Joshua nodded, sensing the importance of this even though the consequences were not obvious. He jumped as he heard the front door open.

"Relax, it's just me." Jarod said, knowing even before he got to the living room that Joshua was jumpy. He walked in and Sydney laughed.

"What happened to you?"

Jarod's face wasn't visible but several bags full of stuff were, "After I met with my contact, I decided to get some groceries . . ."

"Jarod I know the Boy Scout motto is ‘Be Prepared' but really . . ." Joshua said, "I don't think any disasters will be hitting this area any time soon. Besides, how long are you planning to stay anyway? And what exactly did you buy?"

Jarod pulled out a small candy dispenser. "I was running low on these."

"PEZ candy?" Joshua's voice was astonished. "You bought PEZ candy? Tell me you bought some real food too."

"Yes, I bought some ‘real food'. Haven't you ever had PEZ candy before?" Jarod was suddenly very interested in this conversation.

"Um yeah, when I was a kid." Joshua said.

Jarod tossed him a dispenser with Yoda's head on top. "Try some. My favorite is the strawberry and it's the hardest to find, incidentally." Joshua stared at him in amusement, "Oh also, that movie is very good. Have you ever seen Star Wars?"

Joshua stared at him a minute, "Everyone has seen Star Wars. What planet are you from?"

Sydney sat back, staying silent and looking a bit amused and regretful at the same time.

"I actually recently discovered Star Wars. I enjoyed it very much. My favorite character was Luke. What about you?" Jarod didn't wait for an answer; "You know, I think they're showing it tonight . . ." He picked up the remote and began flipping.

Joshua looked amused and somewhat confused, but said lightly, "It's a good movie. I wouldn't mind seeing it again."

**********************************

Sometime later, Raines was laid out on a surgical table that had been placed side by side the bio-surrogate that would be the new host for his consciousness-- but only if the transfer proved successful. The doctor hooked several monitors up to Raines even as his nurse did the same to the bio-surrogate. Finally the doctor prepared to hook up the last of the Taelon based equipment that would aid in the transfer. The doctor hesitated in hooking up the last piece.

"Do it, doctor."

"Mr. Raines, are you sure you know you're risking death if this doesn’t work?" the doctor asked.

"I am dying, doctor. Now do it."

The doctor nodded and attached the transfer nodule to Raines' right and left temples. He then walked over to where his nurse was standing and nodded. "Initiate the transfer. I'll be monitoring his vitals as the transfer progresses."

"Yes, doctor."

**********************************

Joshua and Jarod had stayed up late watching the Star Wars marathon. Sydney had been forced to leave, promising to return in the morning. Jarod had kept up a running commentary on the movie and Joshua input a thing or two here and there. They had eaten pizza for dinner and had just finished popcorn.

It was like being a kid again and Joshua found that it was just what he needed right now. Ironically, he felt more at ease around Jarod than he did around his friends. Renee and Liam meant well, but they would've spent their time asking questions, what he'd been through, what Sandoval said. Jarod didn't ask. Nor did Jarod harp on how he felt about his father. He didn't know Joshua's story, so he treated him like just another person . . . which Joshua found more than a little refreshing. He finally felt safe. Joshua threw a piece of leftover popcorn at Jarod, who tossed a handful back at him.

After the Star Wars marathon, Joshua introduced Jarod to the wonderful world of John Wayne movies and half an hour later; Jarod fell asleep on the couch.

Joshua turned down the volume of the TV and slowly made his way to the kitchen. Jarod had moved his silver suitcase there earlier and Joshua had seen him watching something on there.

Slowly, he opened the case and popped a circular disk that he found into some sort of player.

//Jarod? 1975? For Centre Use Only? What the heck is the Centre?// What on Earth WAS this?

He watched the events on the DSA unfold and when they were over he could feel his initial distrust of Sydney returning. Was this the monstrous organization he had spoken of? Joshua slipped the first disk into his pocket and began to watch a second marathon . . .

**********************************

Broots sipped on his coffee as he waited for the results to come up, thinking about Miss Parker. For some reason, the fact that they just missed Jarod in Cambodia was getting under her skin more than it usually did. He remembered their trip there, how nothing with unusual about just missing him and nothing seemed out of sorts in Jarod's lair. Nope, Jarod had just left behind his usual, and it made Broots wonder why Miss Parker was grumpier than usual since their return.

"Come on, come on," he muttered as he was getting impatient for the results. The computer seemed more sluggish than usual this morning and immediately he decided that he'd ask someone else in the Tech Room to take a look at it after he was finished. The screen finally flashed:

>>5 MATCHING RESULTS FOUND>Caller ID blocked. Do you wish to accept this call?