Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Chapter 10

Sheridan walked in and sat down next to Lyle. She ran a hand through her blonde hair and looked worried. The boys walked in and looked at Lyle cautiously, still worried that maybe he wasn’t their father after all and that this whole thing was either a lie or a dream.

“Hello boys!” Sidney said as they entered the room cautiously. “I’m your Grandfather Sidney. What are your names?”

The boys backed away a bit but told him. “I am Jeff.” One replied.

“And I am Caleb.” The other said. They both went and sat on the floor between their parents. They never left each others sides. They were always close together.

Lyle had packed some things, and had changed out of his suit and into a casual pair of jeans and a t – shirt. He looked way better, more normal and cleaned up than he had before.

Sheridan didn’t have very many clothes to begin with, but she was wearing a jean skirt and a white blouse. She was about 5’7 and had blonde hair and blue eyes.

It was about 10:00 am now, and the boys had found Sidney’s chess set. They were playing a very close game. Jeff was leading, but Caleb was close behind.

Sidney was fascinated by the kids and how they played so well. He watched carefully and observed how they did it. Each move seemed so strategically planned out that he wasn’t sure how two fourteen year old kids could play chess so well.

Lyle and Sheridan were asleep on the couch in the living room, their arms around eachother. They were both exhausted from the events earlier, and they both needed to rest.

When they woke up around noon, they talked to Sidney about their plans. They had both gotten Broots to transfer money from the Centre to their bank accounts so that they could both buy nice sized houses and live fairly good lives in Canada, away from the Centre.

They would drive across the border. They had their information ready and would do whatever it took to get their freedom.

At the same time, Broots and Debbie were doing the same thing. Broots called Sidney to inform him that they would be leaving at around 3:00 pm.

The Wakefield children woke up later than usual, around noon. Jarod and Andrea had been up early with the babies, but the kids had managed to sleep through it all. They wandered down the stairs sleepily and all began eating pop – tarts and waffles. To them, it was still morning.

“Some dream you were having last night bro!” Clara said, eyeing her brother. “You and Nina having –“

“Stop.” Andrew frowned and looked at his sister. “I thought we decided that we were not going to discuss our dreams.”

Clara eyed him and sent him a message through her telepathy. Just be careful, I wouldn’t want you being a father too soon.

He nodded at the quick message and his parents and Nina entered. “Morning kids!” Jarod said happily walking into the room.

“Morning.” Was the one word that came from each kid in the room. They were all still waking up.

Clara finished her food and started rinsing her plate. “Do we have any plans for today?” She asked her parents.

“Well, your father and I thought we would take you all to meet his sister and her children, seeing how it is a Saturday. Tomorrow, we have a meeting with your school, where you will start on Monday. All of you will be in 11th grade, even though I am sure that Nina would much rather be in 12th, we feel that she should stay with your brother until she warms up to the new ways here.” Andrea smiled warmly at her son who smiled back. Nina sat behind him at the bar where there were 8 barstools. She nodded understandingly.

“We are actually going to school! This is very cool! I mean, we had school at the Centre, if you call Reins running sims school.” Clara explained. She had stopped rinsing and was walking over to the stairs. “Well, I think I will go get ready to go see Aunt...”

“Emily.” Jarod replied.

“Aunt Emily. Do you have any clothes I could borrow until we go shopping?” She asked her mom.

Andrea nodded and got up. “I have some that might work.” She replied leading Clara up the stairs.

They went into Andrea and Jarod’s room which consisted of a bed, night table, a crib for the babies, and a walk – in closet that fascinated Clara. “You go into your closet to change?” She looked at her mother confused.

“Uh – huh.” Andrea nodded looking through her clothes. She stopped and turned to Clara. “You’ve never seen anything like this before have you?” She asked.

Clara shook her head no. “At the Centre, we only wore black. Black this and black that. I am so tired of feeling like I am going to a funeral, I don’t think I will ever buy black again.” She frowned and Andrea gave a chuckle. She began looking at her daughter for the first time. “What?” She asked in the same tone Andrea used with Jarod.

Andrea laughed at how much alike she and this girl were. “Nothing.” She replied. “Here.” She handed Clara a pair of casual jeans and a t - shirt that said Hawaii on it.

“Thanks.” Clara said happily taking the clothes from her. She walked into the bathroom where she had already set herself up for a shower, something the Centre only gave them once a week.

Sidney, Broots, and Lyle all packed their families and things and left the Centre once and for all. Lyle was a good guy, for once he wasn’t bad. It surprised everyone, even himself.

Sidney drove one van full of people, and Broots drove a smaller car. Sidney, Nicholas, Lyle, Sheridan, and the boys rode in the van, while Broots drove his much smaller Ford Focus. They left at exactly 3:00 pm and headed for the border where they knew they would all meet up, no matter what route they took.

Sidney called Andrea on his way there. “Hello.” A voice on the other line.

“Andrea?” Sidney asked.

“Oh hey Grandfather. No, its Clara. Moms in the shower.”

“How about your father?” Sidney asked.

“Well, he’s in the shower with her.” Sidney gave a sharp laugh.

“Did I say something wrong?” Clara frowned not knowing if what she said was bad or good or inappropriate or appropriate. She was confused.

“Have your mother explain.” Sidney instructed.

“But she’s in the shower.” Clara replied still confused.

“Later.” Sidney replied. “Can you tell her that Nicholas, Lyle, Sheridan, Lyle’s sons, Debbie, and I are all coming to live near you all?” Sidney asked her.

“I can do that.” She replied as she wrote it on a paper. “I knew this from the get go, my inner sense.” She was telling the truth too. She knew what was going to happen.

“I will see you in a few hours sweetie.” He said into the phone.

“Okay Gramps, bye.” She said hanging up the phone.

When her mom got out of the shower, she could see that Clara was blushing. “What happened?” She asked.

“Well, Grandpa Sidney called, and um...he asked where you were. I told him you were in the shower. He wanted to speak to dad, so I told him daddy was in the shower with you. He laughed a lot.” Andrea laughed as well.

“I don’t understand what I did wrong.” Clara looked at her mother confused and innocently.

“Well, when your father and I take a shower together, its best not to let anyone know about it.” Andrea explained.

“Well, I think I know that now. I mean, I know what happens in a shower with two people of opposite sex, but I just didn’t think about that when he asked the question. I only read about it once.” Clara was still confused. “Oh well. I wont tell anyone on the phone about showers again.” Andrea laughed and hugged Clara. She’s so innocent. Andrea thought.

They all headed over to Emily’s at around 4:00 pm. Major Charles and Catherine were there as well. Major Charles was only going to be there for the night, then he had to get back to Utah, where he was on a pretend. He still loved pretending.

Everyone got along very well. At around 8:00 pm, everyone left. They had gone over for dinner and a few movies. Everyone getting acquainted with eachother was also very important.

Clara noticed Catherine and Major Charles relationship with eachother and grew worried. “Mom, I need to talk to you.” She whispered to her mom. Andrea nodded.

“What is it?” She asked following Clara into an empty room.

“Your mom and Major Charles are very close, too close. You and dad are married, think about if they get married. You two will be step siblings. That’s just confusing! This is not Days of Our Lives.” Clara frowned and started pacing the floor. “If only Grandpa Sidney were here. I could have him talk to her and make her happy and they could be together.” She kept on pacing. “And Sidney will be here soon.” She looked up at her mother. “Let’s just make sure Major Charles is only in town for as long as he says he is going to be.” She gave her mother a smile, Jarod’s smile that said a wonderful plan was about to unwind.

“Now Clara.” Andrea began.

“Don’t worry mom, I have it under control.”

“That’s what I’m afraid of.” Andrea gulped.

Sidney and the rest of the people arriving reached the Wakefield house at around 9:00 pm. Everyone was just arriving from Emily’s place. Hugs were given all around.

For the first time, Lyle and Andrea actually got along. “I hear you took good care of my kids?” Andrea flashed him a smile.

“Their family sis.” Lyle replied. “Couldn’t let Reins hurt my family.” He gave her a side hug and smiled.

“Thanks.” She whispered in his ear.

“Any time sis.” Lyle replied.

Sheridan and the boys were introduced to everyone. They would be staying at a nearby hotel along with Broots until the paperwork on both their houses was finalized. They had already talked to a few relaters, at everything was in order. They could move in as soon as next week.

Lyle was going to go to the nearby college and take accounting while Sheridan was going to be a stay at home mom. She and Lyle were planning on tying the knot as soon as possible, probably later next week. It was going to a somewhat slap – dash wedding, but they needed to do it to secure their future.

Sidney was staying with Andrea and Jarod. Andrea called her mom who stopped by that night. She hugged Lyle tightly when she saw him and he hugged her too. It was a reality that he had wanted to be true for so long. His mother, alive!

Sidney and Catherine smiled at eachother and then hugged warmly. “Our kids are happy now.” Sidney told her.

“Our kids?” She asked. He nodded and handed a folder. “I thought maybe it was a possibility, but I never knew if it was true or not. I should have found out.”

“Its ok. Now, we know the truth. And I will be living closer, so we can be like a family. I think its time I retire.” He smiled at her. Andrea had mentioned once that her mother was retired, and Sidney was still so attracted to the woman that he wanted to spend more time getting to know her. He wanted to be a companion to her. Maybe actually do the old couple thing and actually begin to garden.

Andrea saw her parents talking and thought that they were a very good couple. She had remembered that her mother had said Sidney was more like a friend, but she knew that was not the case. She could tell by the way they were talking that something was still there, something from their pasts.

That night, Jarod and Andrea along with Clara and Lyle and his family and Broots and his all drove to the hotel to get settled in. Behind them however, there was a car full of gunmen. One shot through the back glass. Clara was closest to the back. She pulled her gun from the holster that she kept under her jacket at all times and fired a few rounds hardly missing.

“Where did you get that?” Andrea asked.

“I bought it. A teen can get her hands on anything here in Canada. And yes, I do know how to use it.” She shot the driver and the car landed in some grass off to the side. She put the safety on the gun and held it up and then blew the tip like something she had seen out of a movie. “So mom, how did I do?”

Andrea gave her a strange look and then a half smile. “Almost as good as me.” She replied not willing to admit that her eldest daughter was as good as she was.

Clara nodded in response. Her mother had her hand open and she was waiting for the gun. Clara frowned and gently handed her mom the gun. “I can have it when I get home right?” She asked.

“We’ll see.” Andrea replied. "You know you cant take it to school."

Clara nodded. "I wasnt planning on that anyway."

Once everyone that was staying at the hotel was settled in, Jarod back tracked to where the car that had been chasing them was. He wanted to know if it was the Centre. But by the time he got there, it was gone.