Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: The characters Miss Parker, Sydney, Jarod, Broots etc. and the fictional Centre, are all property of MTM, TNT and NBC Productions and used without permission. I'm not making any money out of this and no infringement is intended.



Buy A Clue

part 5
by Selenameridia




Ok. Now what? Chances were good the purple eating people knew each other, so he put the candy under his jacket as well as he could, and walked the 25 yds. to the front gate. He stopped, like any other guest, and got his hand stamped so he could re-enter, unknown. The stamper looked at the cone under his coat, then at Jarod, both eyebrows raised. "Uh...the heat. It'll melt it before I can get to my car!" He then walked to his car and went to the trailer.

The cone didn't want to come cleanly out of his jacket. No matter what he tried, it stayed stuck to the jacket lining. All Jarod could get out was the cone, and he laid it on the passenger seat, open end facing away. He managed to get his jacket off, and preserved most of the sugar. He wanted to get it to his place, and run some tests for drugs, or chemicals.

Jarod's trailer was parked on the lot by the maintenance buildings.

The Chief had arranged for that.

Jarod brought the jacketed candy and the cone inside, and pulled out a tray drawer in his closet. It was a chem lab, small sized. He went to work on the sugar samples. After an hour he still had nothing unusual, on the sugar, or the dye. He sat back in his chair and looked at the table where his jacket was. And, the paper cone. Suddenly, Jarod jumped up and grabbed the cone from the table. He first held it up to the light. Then, he carefully unrolled it. He walked to the lamp and looked carefully at the paper for water marks or drawings. Turning off the lamp, he switched on a blacklight. There it was. Part of what looked like a map, and some writing in a code, of some sort.

DJ was sitting in a chair at Jarod's, leaning forward, looking at the paper. Jarod had a theory. " How easy would it be to collect several pieces this way, until the whole plan was acquired?" "Not hard.", was DJ's reply. "Then, we just have to find out what the maps is and break a code." "Yeah...code. Not always so easy." Jarod just smiled that little smile of his, again.

Jarod pushed the disk into the computer and watched. He was 10 years old, and Sydney was making him concentrate on breaking a code to save the lives of people on a doomed airplane. He only had 45 seconds, before the plane would begin losing altitude, and eventually crash. Jarod kept telling Sydney that the plane should be evacuated...now! Sydney said it was not an option, so he was frantically trying to break the code and yelling, in his childish voice, the plane should prepare to evac on landing. Then, suddenly, the code just came to him

***

Jarod went to the local copy store and bought a thousand sheets of the same paper the cones were made out of. While he let the sheets soak in the purple dye, he worked the code. The code took him about 1/2 hour to break.

He had borrowed an old cotton candy machine from the maintenance building, and started to spin the sugar, carefully adding the purple dye.

"What have you concluded about the maps and the code, Jarod? ", was the Chief's next question.

TBC