Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: The characters Miss Parker, Sydney, Jarod, Broots etc. and the fictional Centre, are all property of MTM, TNT and NBC Productions and used without permission. I'm not making any money out of this and no infringement is intended.



Buy A Clue

part 1
by Selenameridia




An alarm sounded. It rang through the halls and rooms of the Centre. Doors began shutting and locking. From behind her, one could see her usual regal bearing falter, as she stopped. She had no choice but to stop...she was trapped in a corridor where she did not want to be caught. For a fleeting moment, she felt like a little girl, about to be caught doing something bad. Annoyed at herself, she shook the feeling off, and resumed her usual, no nonsense look. All that was seen from behind was a clenching of her fists. She stood in that one spot, as she pulled out her cellphone. Tossing her head to get her hair out of the way, she dialed it, and put it to her ear.

Static. Nothing but static.

She pulled her gun from it's place in the waistband, at the back of her skirt. Now she moved...immediately... to the wall at her left. There were some bends in this corridor and shadows. She melted into blackness. She waited to see if anyone else was in here. After about 5 minutes, when nothing happened, she moved carefully along the wall, to her left, toward the bend in the corridor that was closest. Glancing quickly the other way, to be sure no one was coming up on her, she stepped slowly across the lighted part of the wall. She couldn't shake the feeling she wasn't alone. Just as she reached the edge of the wall, she leaned back against it, and took a silent, deep breath. One more glance to the right, and her gun dissappeared from her hand. Before she could react, someone was in front of her, putting his hand on the wall to her right.

****

Jarod knew the Centre better than anyone thought he did. And he still had friends inside. He moved his mouse to reply. Angelo had recently found a computer in a room, hidden away. He was in one of the few rooms that had escaped the conflagration of a few years ago. No one ever came here. No one had ever discovered that he even had a computer...much less, managed to intercept his transmissions. He knew who had left him the computer, and he knew the only one who would know where to put it for him to find.

Although empathic, he was not as retarded as he seemed. He had some skills which came naturally to him. The computer was one such skill. It had already been encrypted to a certain e-mail address. And, though he never thought about it, he just knew it would be safe to use.

It seemed that whenever he was on the computer, he was as close to normal as he could be.

It was night. The pool on the main street was shooting up fountains of water in red, then green, then blue. People were sitting on the edge of the square pool, which ran about 100 yds. down the center of Main Street. It was getting close to closing time, but there were still people waiting in the rides line. Everyone who loved rollercoasters wanted to be among the first to ride the new SuperSonic. The fifth person in line was eating cotton candy. But, he wasn't just eating cotton candy...he was eating the first of 4 cotton candies. Finally, he just put the paper cones together in one hand, like a bouquet....ahhh...that was much better! The smile on his face was that of a kid's...one who has discovered something new and exciting.

As he reached the front of the line, he finished his treat and moved up to be the next one on.

"Hi, Jarod!", the attendant at the ride smiled and ushered him into a seat. Jarod smiled back, and sat back to be strapped in. Then he sat forward, into the thrill of the ride.

He stood outside the front gate, watching the last guests leave the park. Then he walked back through the front exit gate. No one stopped him. He said Hi to the Security people, and walked toward the wood wall that went to the back of the park, behind the scenes. Walking, he smelled the newly mown grass, and felt the balmy air all around him. Smiling to himself, he headed toward the Security Office. He walked up the steps, opened the door and saw no one was there. Walking over to the phone, he punched in his ID and hit the number for shift end.

He walked through the Security Gate and let the metal detector do it's job. Of course he beeped. The Guard at the Gate waved him on, saying: "Have a good night, Jarod!" Jarod smiled back at him, and headed toward his car.

As he unlocked the car door, he reflected on his assignment. This time he was an undercover Deputy from the local Police. They worked part time at the Park, and he had been sent there to ascertain what it was that made his boss feel something was wrong. Something was going on in the Park.