Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: I don’t own the pretender and everything’s used without permission.



He Runs, She Chases
part 6
By Schmidt




January 19th 2002, 17:05 p.m.
Mr. Raines’ office
The Centre, Blue Cove, Delaware



“Hey, Son. What can I do for you?”, Mr. Raines greeted Lyle.

“I only wanted to warn you, Dad. Dear Little Sister has found out that you are our real father. I think she’ll be here soon and scream a bit around.”

“You can bet your sorry little ass on that, you deranged idiot of a brother!”, a very angry Miss Parker shouted at Mr. Lyle. “As well as you can bet that I’m going to blow your fucking head off when I’m finished here!”

“I think I only interrupt here, don’t I? So I should better go, huh?”, Lyle tried to disappear.

“Oh, yeah, you can be sure that I’m going to find you anyway!”, Miss Parker shouted again before her brother left.

“Calm down. What is it that makes you shouting?”

“Oh, let’s guess. Could the reason be that the Chicago Bulls lost again, or that Dallas run off TV? No! The reason is that I just got to know who my real father is. It’s you, you fucking bastard. And I want an explanation. NOW! Why are you my father and not anyone else from this damned hell hole, here? Tell me, NOW, or I’ll shoot you down!”

“Oh, dear. Why can’t you just believe in the power of love? You know, Catherine and I had a wonderful time. But to tell the truth, she was Mr. Parker’s wife. We were meant to be together, but Mr. Parker took she away from me. And with her he took my children away as well…”

“You are lying! Tell me the truth, you slimy git.”

“I can understand that you are angry with me, Daughter, but it’s the truth. Catherine and I loved each other and you and your brother, you’re children of love…”

“Go to hell!”, she shouted at him. “I know you’re lying and I don’t believe you. I’ll find out the truth myself.”

And with these words she stormed out of her ‘father’s’ office.

Miss Parker thought she would explode. She was so angry. How could he dare to tell her that his mother loved him, how could he? She felt so sick that she thought she had to vomit, but she got a hold of herself, went to her car and drove home.


January 19th 2002, 17:25 p.m.
Rachel’s Motel, Pacific Avenue
Baltimore, Maryland


Jarod sat outside of the motel on a chair, when Victoria joined him.

“According to your face you haven’t had any success, Jarod.”

“No, I haven’t. My friend didn’t know anything either. I’m really clueless now, Victoria. I don’t know where I shall keep searching. Do you have any idea where I could look for clues?”

“Well, Jarod, you told me that you besides your friend still have another person you could ask.”

“Mhhh, I think she’s other things to do now.”

“Don’t you think it’s a try worth”

“Yes, you’re right, but I wait another hour to phone her. I don’t want to interrupt her.”

Although Victoria realized that this man who was sitting next to her needed some time for himself she also realized, that it’d be good for him to talk to her about that woman and so she began another conversation.
“Is she a friend of yours?”

“Who?”

“That woman you’re going to ask about your mother, of course.”

“Kind of.”, he replied shortly. He didn’t know what she was to him himself. To not to hurt the old woman with his short reply he added.

“Well, it’s complicated between the two of us.”

“Oh, I see.” Perhaps it wasn’t such a great idea to ask him about that woman. Obviously he didn’t want to talk about her Victoria thought by herself. “Well, I think I’ll better leave you alone so you can phone her.


January 19th 2002, 17:35 p.m.
Miss Parker’s house
Blue Cove, Delaware


Finally Miss Parker had gotten home. Today, she hadn’t been able to stay at The Centre. She felt so sick, sad and alone. The only thing she wanted to do now was to make herself drunk till she would be able to forget everything she had learned about her mother and Raines know today. After dropping her shoes carelessly on the floor she went to her house bar to pour herself a glass of Johnny Walker. After taking the first mouthful she immediately felt the comforting warmth of the alcohol inside her body. And after the second one she began to relax. Just in the moment she wanted to take the third one her phone started ringing.

“What?” Although Miss Parker tried to say her “what” as usual it nearly sounded friendly.

“I’m afraid, Miss Parker, but I must tell you again that it doesn’t sound as if your day was very nice.”

“And I must tell you again that I’m not in the mood to play games with you, so cut the crap and get to the point!”

“Whoa. Okay. I only wanted to ask how you are feeling after learning who your real father is, Miss Parker.”

“Sydney can’t shut his mouth up, can he?”

“It wasn’t Sydney. I found the result myself. It was in the Broots’ computer.”

“How nice for you, Jarod. I know that you’ve only phoned to torment me, so just do it and don’t waste my time, okay?!?”

“You’re wrong, Miss Parker. I’ve never phoned to torment you. I think you know that. My suggestion is that you just take an ice cold shower to calm yourself down. You know it is NOT my fault that Mr. Raines is your father. So don’t talk to me this way. I didn’t do anything to you, okay?!?”

This time Miss Parker hadn’t enough power for an argument with Jarod, which she would lose, because she knew that he was right.

“Okay, Jarod, it isn’t your fault. But may I nevertheless ask why you phoned me?”

“Yes, I have a question. Do you know the place my parents met first?”

“I think I’m the wrong one to ask, huh? Why don’t you ask your father. He should know it best.”

“Oh, thanks for your great help, because of The Centre I don’t know where he, or the boy is. Any other of your great suggestions?”

“We talked about fault before, Jarod, and it’s for sure not mine, that The Centre stole you from your family.”

“But your job is it to catch me and to return me to The Centre, isn’t it? You…”

“Right, you Genius, it’s my job and you can be sure that I don’t enjoy it to chase some Lab Rat through the whole country.”

“That’s it. You do NOT enjoy it. So why don’t you just stop it?”

“You know it’s the deal I have with my fath…with The Centre. But I can imagine that you would like it, if I’d leave you alone.”

“I only said you should stop chasing me around, but I didn’t say anything of leaving me alone. You and me…”

“We had that subject before. And you already know how it is. There’s no you and me. You run, I chase… Look, Jarod, I really don’t know where your parents met first and I don’t know either why you must know that, so could you please just hang up, before I do?!?”

“But you could ask anyone at The Centre…”

“And whom? Don’t you still get it, that nobody at The Centre knows your parents. See, I can’t help you…but when it is so important to you, then maybe you should ask Louis…”

“What Louis? I don’t know any Louis.”

“Yes, you do. You know, the man who owned that house you, Angelo, that kid and me hid in. Does it ring a bell, Genius? And now hang up and think of stopping these fucking calls on me!”

And before Jarod could thank her, she had already hung up on him.