Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: I don’t own the pretender and everything’s used without permission.


He Runs, She Chases
part 1
By Schmidt



January 17th 2002, 9:30 a.m.
A graveyard outside Blue Cove, Delaware


“In the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Ghost. Amen.”

A Catholic priest fast said his text and then turned to leave. He was standing in front of a grave. On the gravestone was written the name of Mr. Parker and the name of his wife Catherine Elaine Parker. Opposite the priest there was standing a group of about fifteen people. Most of them were Sweepers from The Centre, the other persons were Mr. Raines, Mr. Lyle and Miss Parker. After the priest was gone, Mr. Raines, a.k.a. Able Parker, ordered:

“Let’s go”

and everyone followed his instruction and left the graveyard. Except for Miss Parker. She just kept standing there in front of her parent’s grave, but nobody seemed to notice her. When everyone was out of sight, she got closer to the grave. In her bright eyes you could see a very deep pain. In her mind she asked herself, why all of this had to end this way.

“Why?”, she whispered“ Why have you gone? Gone, without telling me who I really am, who my family really is?”

After a short while of just standing there, she slowly left the graveyard as well.


January 17th 2002, 9:45 a.m.
London Airport, London, Great Britain


Jarod was sitting on a seat in the entrance hall of the airport. He was phoning somebody. While doing so he checked his ticket.

“I’ve a question. Well, has a woman named Margaret been at your hospital, lately?!”,

he asked hopefully and then continued:

“No, but she’s scarlet hair, if that may help you.”

He rose from his seat and started walking around.

“Why I have to know that? Well, see, that women is my mother and I’ve been looking for her for a really, really long time and…”

Suddenly the hopeful look on his face turned to a sad one.

“So, you don’t know, wether she has been at your hospital…That’d be very kind of you…Okay, then, you’ll call me if you have some news…You do have my number, haven’t you?…All right. Thank you very much.”

The moment he broke the connection a loud female voice shouted: “Last call for flight 749 to New York City, the passengers are asked for get into the plane now, thanks.”
Jarod took his bag and walked toward the gangway.


January 17th 2002,12:15 a.m.

“Sydney!”, Broots run without knocking in into his colleague’s office.

“Calm yourself down, Broots.”, the elder man replied,“ What’s wrong?

“Mr. Raines and Mr. Lyle, they, they’re…”

“Yes? What’s wrong with them?

“They, they’re just back at their usual work!”, he almost screamed,“ They have just gotten back to normality, as if nothing had happened, as happy as ever. I-I mean Mr. Parker was their relative, Syd!”

After a short while of silence Sydney answered:“ Broots, I wanna tell you something. There’s a unwritten rule at The Centre. And this says: What’s a human life worth, if you can get more power and money?”

“I think you are right, as terrible as it is. It’s just so…”

“Yes, it is”, Sydney interrupted the upset man,“ but hey, it’s The Centre, isn’t it? Another subject, have you seen Miss Parker today, Broots? I’m really worried about her.

“Yes, I’m too, but it’s her fa… his funeral, I thought, she’d stay at home. Um, oh, do you think she comes?”

“She comes!”, a strong voice behind them answered. Broots and Sydney immediately turned to face Miss Parker. “You aren’t at home, M-Miss Parker?”, Broots asked carefully. ”Broots, stop asking these silly question and tell me if you have any clue on ‘Mr. I taunt The Centre’ ”After taking a short look at Sydney, a scared Broots replied shyly: “There’s a c-clue on him in C-Cincinnati, but I haven’t checked it y-yet, Miss P-Parker.” With her usual politeness Miss Parker answered: “What’re you waiting for, then. We don’t have all day time. You’ve gotta do!”

After getting exact instructions from his boss, Broots left. Miss Parker walked to the door out of Sydney’s office too, when the psychiatrist suddenly asked: “How are you, Miss Parker?” “Oh, I felt never better, thanks for asking.”, she replied sarcastically.

“Why don’t you ever trust the few people who really want to help you, Parker?”

“Sorry, Syd, I know you only wanna help me, but…I really need to be alone now. Alone with myself. Do you understand?”

“Yes, I do and you can always come to me if you have a problem anyway.”

“I know that, Sydney and I’m really grateful.”

Before she finally left Miss Parker gave him one of her rare smiles.