Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: I don’t own the pretender and everything’s used without permission.



He Runs, She Chases
part 5
By Schmidt




January 19th 2002, 10:30 a.m.
Rachel’s Motel, Pacific Avenue
Baltimore, Maryland



“What are you going to do, now?”, Victoria asked Jarod.

“I’m going to start looking for clues on that place my parents met first in. It’ll be difficult, I know, but maybe it’s my last chance to find them all…Do you know if my mother talked to anyone else besides you and Rachel?”

“No, most time she was with me.”

Well, then I’m going to ask someone else who might’ve known her.


January 19th 2002, 12:15 p.m.
Sydney’s office
The Centre, Blue Cove, Delaware


“This is Sydney?”

“How are you doing?”, a very familiar voice asked.

“Jarod! I’m so glad to hear your voice. You didn’t phone me for such a long time!”

“Sorry, Sydney, I’ve been trying to find my mother…”

“I know, Miss Parker told me you saw her on that island.”

“Yes, and that call is about her too. Do you know where she and my father got to know each other?”

“No, why?”

“We don’t know of this line is secure so I can’t tell you here. But, do you know anyone else who could know it?”

“Mr. Raines might know it, but I seriously doubt he’ll tell you. Wait…, Catherine Parker must’ve known it, perhaps she told it Miss Parker.”

“I don’t think so, but it’s a try worth. Apropos Miss Parker. How’s she anyway?”

“Oh, rather don’t ask. Since both of you’re back from Carthis, she seems to be more sad than before. Well, her well…father jumped in front of her eyes out of a plane, but there might be something else. D’you know, what it could be?”

“No, no idea.”

“And how is it for you, now, after that island? At the beginning she didn’t even tell me you were on the island too. Lyle mentioned it. Is there anything I should know between the two of you?”

“Oh, no, everything’s fine, Sydney. I’m sure she just forgot to tell you I was there, huh?”

“You’re right, I think. Besides, she made Broots to start a genetic test with Raines’ blood and that of hers. She’ll have the result this late afternoon, so I’d be careful if you call her to ask about your mother.”

“Thanks, Sydney, I’ll remember that.”



January 19th 2002, 16:35 p.m.
Miss Parker’s office
The Centre, Blue Cove, Delaware


Miss Parker was sitting in her office, waiting for the test results, Broots would bring her soon, when she suddenly remembered Mr. Parker’s last words: “I love you as my daughter that’s everything that counts…”

He said he loved her. He said it was everything that counted. But was he serious, could she believe him? He had lied to her so many times. About her mother, about her brothers Lyle and Ethan, about Faith, about Jarod and things about The Centre. She was never going to find it out – he was dead, jumped out of a plane. Probably he wasn’t even her real father, but only her uncle. It was only that her real father wouldn’t be better at all. He was the man who had brutally killed her mother Catherine. She’d ever hate him, even if he’d be her father.

Suddenly Broots came in.

“Miss Parker, I’ve got the result, here. I haven’t looked at it yet.”

“Thanks, Broots. I owe you something.”

“I think I should better go, I still have a lot to do.”

Broots left an anxious Miss Parker behind him, holding a black file in her hands. She had always been wanting to know the truth, even since she was a small girl, but now where she hold it in her hand she wasn’t sure what it would bring her.
“Open it!”, a voice in herself told her. And so she did. Slowly she took two large sheets out of the file. Then, after falling on her couch she began to read it. After a short while of reading it she rose her eyes and saw Sydney standing about three metres in front of her.

“I didn’t want to interrupt you, Parker. I only thought you shouldn’t be alone when you open it.”

“Thanks.”

“I suppose you know the result, Parker?”

“Yes, I know. I now know that my whole life has been a lie.”

“Is it right when I suppose, that Mr Parker is NOT your father?”

Getting no answer Sydney softly continued:

“What are you going to do, now?”

And after a quite long time Miss Parker answered:

“Nothing. There has nothing changed. Raines knew it, that little son of a bitch Lyle knew it, although he didn’t tell me and I’m sure Mr. Parker knew it too. Now’s only the moment I get to know that the man I believed to be my father isn’t, but instead Mr. Raines is. Everything’s going to be ‘back to normal’. Mr. Raines is the new chairman of The Centre and Lyle his new right hand. They’ll continue with the hunt for Jarod. And you and me’ll just keep playing our little game, won’t we?
I think I’m gonna go home.”

“Miss Parker, I don’t think it’s a good idea, if you drive in that condition of yours. Please stay a little while longer, till you’ll have calmed down a bit. I don’t want you hurt.”

Getting again no response, Sydney pushed her back onto the couch and poured her a glass of alcohol from her bar. Suddenly she asked:

“Why, why Raines. I mean, how could a woman like my mother ever love a devil like Raines. Please, tell me, Syd, how?”

“I really don’t know, Miss Parker. But maybe you should consider that we talk about The Centre. You know damn well what they can do. Think of your brother Ethan.”

“Do you mean someone impregnated my mother with Raines’ semen?”

“Possibly…”

“No, I don’t think so… but I’m going to find it out. And nobody will be able to stop me! Not even The Centre itself.”

And with these words she was gone.