Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: I don’t own the pretender and everything’s used without permission.


He Runs, She Chases
part 2
By Schmidt



January 17th 2002, 17:45 p.m.
Miss Parker’s house
Blue Cove, Delaware



After a not very long time at The Centre, Miss Parker came home early. The whole afternoon she had been left alone by Sydney and Broots, as she’d wished. That had given her time to think of the events of the last few days and months. To think of Ethan, her father, the revelations about her family which she’d made on that island, the moment between her and Jarod in front of Ocee’s fireplace…and of course the scrolls. At times like today she’d’ve given a lot to know, what they would have said, what her future would be like.
Usually a workaholic she was happy to be at home today. Just in the moment she opened her front door, her phone started ringing.

“What?”, she said as her usual greeting, but without the normal power in her voice.

“Sounds as if you haven’t had a nice day, Miss Parker.” It was Jarod. He was the only living person who ever dared to phone her after work.

Although the last conversation she had with him, after the returning from Carthis, was one without the usual arguing between them, she now got back to her old style. “Today was my fa…his funeral. Already forgotten, Genius?” “No, of course I haven’t forgotten, but I wished you’d’ve.” “What the hell do you mean, Jarod?” “I think you know exactly what I mean, Miss Parker.”

“Listen, Wonderboy, I’m really not in the mood to play games, so if you don’t wanna tell me what you mean, then that’s okay for me. Believe it or not, but I don’t give a rat’s ass. So, stop these damned calls and leave me alone, understood?!?”
Every other person would angrily or fearyly brake the connection, but Jarod didn’t. He knows her too well, knows that she always tries to hide her own pain and problems in impoliteness. So, he didn’t give up.

“I only meant, you should stop thinking of the few food remembrances of your father and realize, that he was just as the other men from The Centre. For example like Mr. Raines or that son of a bitch Lyle. He was just a murderer and a liar, just a man a human’s life counts nothing for. You’ve got to realize that finally!”

“How dare you to tell me what I shall do and what not. I am very well able to decide on my own, okay? I don’t need you or any of your silly advices or anybody’s advice. I repeat it, especially for you, although you’re the genius: I CAN DECIDE ON MY OWN; WHAT I DO OR NOT AND WHAT I THINK OR NOT!”

Even he usually doesn’t Jarod now got angry too.
“Oh, really, you can decide on your own? Do you know that you are just about to tell me, that you are free, that you could do anything you want to? Do you really wanna tell me that it was your own decision on this island to go back to that hell hole and not…You don’t have to be a genius to notice that you are nothing else than another prisoner of The Centre! One of their slaves, whose life they destroyed to control them! When you don’t know what’s good for you, and The Centre definitely isn’t, them I AM very well allowed to tell you what to do. I know you don’t trust me, but there are some people who care about you and who want to help you!”
After a short while of silence he gently continued:
“You have to trust the people who want to help you and to get away from the people, who want to exploit an destroy you, Miss Parker.”

Miss Parker was for a moment speechless and Jarod took the chance to hang up before she could answer.


January 17th 2002, 23:20 p.m.
Mr. Lyle’s office
The Centre, Blue Cove, Delaware


In Mr. Lyle’s office, he and Mr. Raines were talking to each other.

“Does she know who her real father is?”, Raines asked.
“No, she doesn’t know yet. I think Dear Sis should figure it out for herself, shouldn’t she? It’d keep her busy.”, Lyle answered with a slight grin on his lips.

“You are right, but…she’ll kill us if she… .”

“Oh, yeah…but she needn’t to know, right?


January 18th 2002, 7:55 a.m.
Motel 6th Avenue
New York City, New York


When his cell phone rang Jarod was just eating some PEZ.
“Yes?”, he answered it after a short while, “Oh, it’s you, I didn’t think you’d phone me so soon…Do you have any information about her?…You have?”, Jarod took a deep breath now. “Yes, I wait.” While waiting Jarod thought of the final meeting with his long searched mother Margaret. He imagined the feeling of holding her in his arms. Finally.
He was interrupted in his dream by the person that had maybe information about his mother.

“Yes, I’m listening…So, she was at your hospital only a week ago…Yeah, her arm was injured…She gave you an address in Baltimore…Can you give me…Yeah, Rachel’s Motel, Pacific Avenue, room #11. Thank you very much, you know it means a lot to me. Thanks.”