Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

DISCLAIMER: None of the characters belong to me--just borrowing them.
Thank you for not suing.


"Double" Pretending
part IX
by Rachel




Angelo paced nervously, mumbling about Miss Parker. Sydney tried his best to calm him.

„What about Miss Parker, Angelo?" Sydney asked full of concern.

„Danger."

Sydney called Jarod immediately and he arrived in minutes from the hotel suite that he and Miss Parker were staying in.

Angelo lunged at Jarod, grabbing his shirt, pleading desperately, „Help her."

„We’ll find her, Angelo, we’ll find her." He responded urgently. „Where’s Mr. Broots?"

**************

Broots slowly came to from the old man’s knock out. He was sitting up against a tree, making it look like he was resting. Then it hit him what just happened and he got up quickly. He ignored the dull pain on his face and he began to run. He ran with so much determination and focus, you could almost hear someone yelling, „Ruuuuun, Broooots, ruuuuuuunnn!" He had to get back to the hotel room and find Jarod.

**************

Rachel and Miss Parker woke up to the stench of a dirty apartment. They were both on the same bed, their arms handcuffed to the bedpost above their heads. They heard arguing in the other room. Miss Parker frustratedly rattled the cuffs. „Damn!" She looked over at Rachel and asked if she was okay.

„I’m fine, so far. What are we going to do? No one knows where we are."

„Genius-boy will find us. We have to believe that." Miss Parker said confidently. Rachel shook her head. Even in trouble she was calling Jarod names but Rachel was amazed at the faith Miss Parker had in him.

„It makes sense now. The mirror image of father and son," Rachel contemplated. „The mirror image was of Frank as a boy."

„Those bastards are going to pay for this." Miss Parker said angrily.

***********************

„Malone here"

„They’re taken. We have to find them."

„Jarod? What the hell do mean they’re taken? Aren’t you supposed to keep an eye on them? Why don’t you know where they are?"

„I’m working on it!"

****************

Broots burst into the room panting. He leaned on the door post to catch his breath. Jarod, Sydney, and Angelo hurried to him.

„It’s Frank, and his son," Broots managed to spit out. „They took Rachel and Miss Parker."

„Where?"

„I don’t know, Frank knocked me out." Then a burst of energy came upon Broots and he bolted to the computer. „I stuck that tracer you made on Miss Parker’s skin, Jarod. We should be able to pinpoint their location." Broots typed frantically on the keyboard but couldn’t get through to the system. „Come on!" He banged the laptop, but nothing. Jarod ordered him to move over. He made the thing, he should be able to figure it out. His heart was pounding so hard, he couldn’t think. His concentration was being clouded by concern for the woman he loved. „Damn!" He banged the laptop, but nothing. Angelo grabbed the computer and with a few, smooth strokes of the fingers, gained access. He smiled at the flashing dot displayed on the Atlanta map.

„Let’s ride, men!"

**********************

„We can’t wait. We have to get out of here now." Miss Parker said.

„I have an idea, but it’s a painful one." Rachel suggested.

„I have one, too. Can you say dislocated thumb?" Miss Parker smirked.

Rachel smirked back and nodded. „You know that trick, too, huh?"

„I’m familiar with it." Miss Parker responded with a dreaded look on her face, thinking back when she was stuck in a shack with a lunatic and Jarod.

**********************

Jarod drove through the city in a rush, but he was still careful to obey all the traffic rules.

„Go faster!" Angelo urged.

„I can’t go any faster! I’d have the whole Atlanta PD on my tail! Jarod looked at Broots, Broots looked at Jarod. They both had the same look of understanding. Jarod punched the gas and sped through town like a cat with a tail on fire.

Malone, John got the call about the women’s location and they also bolted out of the office and headed to the apartment.

******************

Frank and his son, Jimmy, entered the bedroom where Rachel and Miss Parker were. They were holding blindfolds and gag cloths. „That’s it, ladies, be scared. The more you fight it, the better it’ll be for us." They came around the bed and hovered over them, Frank on Miss Parker’s side and Jimmy on Rachel’s side. Jimmy hesitated a little.

„Gag her and blindfold her now!" Frank ordered.

„I-I can’t do it."

„Do it or I’ll beat you again!"

Jimmy obeyed, fear and loathing in his eyes.

Frank turned to Miss Parker and he smiled at her. „You look scared, Max. Having my way with you is going to be pleasurable," he sneered.

„Not today, not ever." Miss Parker bit out. She and Rachel slipped their left hand out of the handcuff and flung the loose metal, hitting their assailants in the face. Like a choreographed dance, the two women kicked, jabbed, dodged, and punched until the two men lay face down on the bed. Miss Parker quickly found the keys to the cuffs and they secured the men to the bedpost. Jimmy began to wail. „He made me do it! He made me kill those women! I didn’t want any part of it!"

„I just wanted us to share something as father and son." Frank explained.

Miss Parker and Rachel looked at each other, disgusted at the two. The two men continued their pathetic excuses. The women have had it.

„SHUT UP!" They voiced simultaneously and they jabbed Frank and Jimmy on the back of the head with their elbow, knocking them unconscious.

The door flew open and Jarod, followed by the FBI team and the Atlanta Police, rushed in with guns drawn. The women stood calmly at the foot of the bed.

„What took you so long?" Miss Parker chided. Jarod fought rushing to Miss Parker and holding her tightly to him. She gave him a quick nod toward Rachel and he tended to Rachel’s hand first. Broots, Angelo, and Sydney came to Miss Parker’s side, all relieved that the ordeal was over.

The police carted off Frank and Jimmy. Malone touched Jarod and Rachel on the shoulder as a sign of recognition of a job well done. He walked over to Miss Parker and extended his hand. She smiled and took it.

„You’re right, Max, you are good at what you do. Good luck." Malone left with the others.

„How did you find us so quickly?" Miss Parker asked.

„Broots here placed a tracer on you." Sydney explained, patting a satisfied Broots on the back.

„That’s what that irritating burr was on my side. You almost got too personal there, Broots." Miss Parker said warningly, reaching in her shirt to pull out the small button that was attached near her breast.

„I-I’m sorry, Miss Parker, y-you, I-I was holding you when you passed out, and….I’m sorry, Miss Parker, I-I didn’t mean to….."

„It’s okay, Broots," Miss Parker smiled in gratitude. „Thank you," she said simply. Miss Parker cradled her left hand and headed toward the door. „Let’s go home."

Jarod couldn’t stand it, he needed to tend to her. „I need to see your hand, Max." It wasn’t a request, it was an order. The defiant look on Miss Parker’s face worried Rachel.

Sydney took the hint and ushered everyone out the door. Rachel was a little hesitant, wondering if it would be smart to leave those two alone in the same room.

Jarod inspected Miss Parker’s hand without looking at her face or saying a word. She looked up at him, smiling a little bit, knowing that he was still recovering from the event. There was a mixture of emotions showing on his face--from relief, to concern, to love, to a hint of anger--probably mad at himself for not being there for her. It could also be that she can handle herself and she didn’t need him to save her in the end.

„Ow!" she yelped, searching his face for explanation.

„That’s for that prank you pulled yesterday." He was finally beginning to relax. He set her thumb back in place and rubbed it gently.

Miss Parker saw her opportunity to completely ease his distress. She got up on her toes and kissed him quickly on the lips. „I still need you," she whispered like a little girl explaining her way out of trouble. Rachel was right; those two seem to know what each other is thinking and feeling.

He looked in her eyes, almost in a reprimanding way. He didn’t have to say anything.

„I promise," she said playfully, „no more baiting killers without your permission."

She wrapped her arms around his neck and hugged him tightly. He buried his face in her hair, vowing silently to keep her safe forever. „I love you," he whispered, receiving a tighter hold on him in response.

She kissed him quickly again and they headed out the door.

„Do me a favor, Jarod," she asked.

„What is it?"

„Say goodbye to Rachel. She needs closure."

Jarod took a deep breath and grinned. „Can I kiss her goodbye?"

„No. The poor girl has been through enough!" she laughed.

„Laugh now, Parker. Just wait till you find out what your next pretend is," he said with that sly grin of his.

She looked up at him suddenly, the smile now erased and replaced with dread and worry.


THE END!