Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Microsoft Word

- Text Size +

DISCLAIMER: "You know the drill."—none of the Characters in this story belong to me. Please, please, don’t sue. Thank you.




Don’t Wake Me Up

by Rachel (or Raquel)




Jarod woke to the uneasy feeling of being mispplaced. He tried to open his eyes but the bright sunshine that pierced the window caused him to squint. Nothing was familiar about where he was or the surroundings. The pillow that he was hugging smelled of sweet perfume. "What is going on here? Where am I", he thought. As his eyes got accustomed to the light, he surveyed the room. It had a feeling of "home"—not like that at the Centre, but the kind that he had seen in old family TV shows. The curtains were floor-length and it had a pattern that matched the sheets on the bed. The walls were white and the furniture looked like it’s been around for years, but well taken care of. He noticed suitcases on the corner by the bed and something on a chair that made him do a double take. Somehow his eyes won’t focus no matter how much he tried to widen them—"That can’t be what I think it is"—there were women’s clothes and undergarments carefully hanging on it.

"That hit I got on the head must have been worse that I thought!"

"I’m dreaming. That’s got to be it. I’m dreaming!"

"I sure would like to know what I’m dreaming about."

He swung his legs over the bed and planted his feet on the floor. "Well, my legs still work."

He walked over to the bathroom and looked at himself in the mirror.

"I still look like me and I’ve got a big gash on my head." He looked around and saw his shaving bag and a woman’s makeup case. He closed his eyes and shook his head, trying to recollect the events of the night before and could not remember a thing except that he got hit on the head by a man who is now just a blur.

Jarod took a deep breath and decided to go with it—dream and all.

He walked back out to the room and opened his clothes bag and took out a short-sleeved button up shirt and a pair of shorts. He didn’t bother to button his shirt.He walked over to the chair with the women’s clothing and fought with himself whether to touch them or not. He decided not to, just in case it might take him back to reality if he did.

He slowly opened the door and was taken back by the smell of something baking, causing his mouth to water and his body to jolt. Recovering from the initial shock, he proceeded down the stairs very quietly. He could hear some childish babble from the television and some banging and clanging from another room. There was no sense of any kind of danger or uncertainty, just curiosity.

Just as he got to the bottom of the stairs, he saw a little boy, about 3 years old, sitting in front of the TV. The little boy looked up and saw him. Jarod froze hoping that the little boy would not be frightened.

"Hi Uncle Jarod!" the boy greeted. "Uncle Jarod?" he asked himself.

Jarod sat down on the floor next to the boy and watched with him, wondering how he’s going to ask the boy’s name and where he is without sounding foolish. Jarod decided to wait until the show was over before he asked the boy questions.But he didn’t have to wait, the boy looked at him with his eyes narrowed and his nose scrunched.

"How did you get that owie?" the boy asked.

"I got hit with a very sharp object. You know, this owie made me forget some things. So what’s my name again?" Jarod tried to sound playful.

"You’re Uncle Jarod."

"And what’s your name?"

"Timmy"

"Timmy what?"

"Timothy Jason Broots."

The mention of the last name made Jarod gasp.

"Do you have a sister?"

"Debbie"

What’s your dad’s name?

"John, and my mommy’s name is Emily"

"Whose house is this?"

"Grama and Grampa’s"

"Why are we here?"

"We’re visiting. We got here first. We beat you and Aunt Michele. You ask a lot of questions. Are we done yet?"

"Yeah, sure." And the little boy scurried away to another room leaving Jarod more confused than ever. "Who is Aunt Michele?" he questioned.

And then the front door flew open and a woman carrying a load of groceries burst in through the door. Jarod stood up from the floor and was speechless. He didn’t recognize the woman but he had a sense of familiarity with her.

"Hey big bro. Good to see you among the living."

Before Jarod could utter a word, she was gone into the other room.

"Emily." Jarod whispered. Now his heart raced and his mind was unfocused. Before he knew it, Emily was back in the room with him and stood in front of him inspecting the gash on his head. All Jarod could do was take her in his arms and bury his face in her hair. The joy he felt was overwhelming.

"Are you okay, bro?" "I know you’re glad to see me, but you’re acting like you haven’t seen me in years." If she only knew.

"How’s the head? Your wound looks like it’s healing quite nicely."

"I’m f-f-fine."

"Are you sure you’re alright? You’re acting a little strange."

"I’m sure."

"Well, then, why don’t you go help your wife carry in some groceries?" And with that, Emily was gone into the other room again.

"My wife? This is getting too much." Then it hit him. "Michele!", he muttered silently. "This can’t be happening. Could it be? No. Yes? Parker?" Then Jarod nervously went outside to meet his "wife."

As he looked over to the car, he saw her. She was reaching for something in the back seat so Jarod was only able to see her legs. "It is Parker, I know those legs from anywhere." Jarod grinned. He then carefully approached her and frantically searched for words to say to her.

"H-Hi" was all that came out of his mouth.

Parker looked over to him and smiled.

"Hi, handsome. Good to see you up and moving." Parker stood in front of him, stroked his face, and gave him a light kiss on the lips. Jarod felt weak. Shivers were doing laps from his fingers to his toes, his heart was skipping beats and his breathing was labored—if he was breathing at all.

Before he could respond, Parker placed several bags of groceries in his arms and was leading him into the house.

"Just put those on the table, dear," Jarod heard an elderly woman say. "We need to get going." Jarod tried to act calmly and controlled so not to give away his disorientation, but his insides were screaming with excitement, joy, nerves, anxiety, and love for the people that were gathered around in the room.

"Mom, Dad", he recognized silently. He looked at each one as they busily scampered around the room. Jarod watched as Broots talked with Sydney while holding Emily’s hand. He watched his mother take pies from the oven and hand them to his father. He watched Debbie put shoes on little
Timmy. Angelo was also there trying to get a finger on the pies and receiving a gentle slap on the hand and a smile from "Mom". And he watched Miss Parker put away the groceries. Jarod was speechless and immobile. All he wanted to do was gather all of them in his arms and hold on to them forever. He didn’t even care why he was here and why they were all together. He was just overwhelmed that they were together—as a big family and he felt loved.

"Son," he heard his father say.

"Yeah, Dad?" Jarod responded timidly. Dad, a word he has wanted to say all his life. It felt good to say it.

"Will you help me take these to the car?"

"Sure." He didn’t want to leave the room but felt he’d better.

"You alright, son? You look like a lost little boy. Are you up to going with us?"

"Where are we going, anyway? I’m sure I’ve been told, but my head’s kind of fuzzy right now. But I feel fine."

"To the County Fair. Your mother is entering her famous pies at the contest. Mmmmm, she makes the best pies. And your sister is entering one of her beautiful quilts."

If you’d rather stay home and rest, we’d understand. You’ve had a rough couple of days."

"I wouldn’t miss this for the world." Jarod so desperately wanted to know what happened to him, but decided to let it go for now. Maybe he’ll remember on his own.

As they entered the house again, Miss Parker took him by the arm and started buttoning up his shirt telling him something about other women lusting. Jarod didn’t really hear all she was saying. He was too mesmerized by how beautiful she was and too preoccupied by the fact that he was married to her.

"Jarod!"

"Wh-What did you say?"

"I said, You’d better tuck in your shirt." "Or do you want me to have the pleasure?" she whispered, her seductive smile causing his face to feel hot and flushed.

"I think I can handle it. Thank you." Jarod went around the corner so he’s not seen by anyone. "I think I can handle it, thank you? What kind of response was that?" Jarod scolded himself. "I’m gonna go for it, I’m gonna take the initiative. Besides, she’s my wife, isn’t she? I can kiss her if I want to. She’s not going to think it’s bad or wrong or dumb, is she? I hope not."

"Hurry up, Jarod! We’re the last ones out!" Miss Parker peered around the corner.

"Come here a second, Mi….Michelle," Jarod almost called her Miss Parker.

"You need help with something?" Miss Parker smiling an amused smile.

"No, I just needed to do this." With that, Jarod pulled her to him and gave her a very deep kiss, causing her to moan in his mouth.

"Wow, what was that for?"

"I just felt like doing it. Was that okay?" Jarod said nervously, hoping not to get a negative reaction from her.

Miss Parker put her arms around his neck and smiled bewilderedly and kissed him lightly on the lips.

"It’s more than okay. I just hope you saved some for later." Miss Parker cooed, raising an eyebrow at him. "Now let’s get going before your dad comes back in and yells at us."

Jarod smiled at her and took her hand and led her out the door.

The family enjoyed a day at the Fair. But no one enjoyed it more that Jarod. The whole day, he held on to Miss Parker’s hand, occasionally wrapping his arm around her waist and stealing kisses. He talked to Sydney and Broots like they’ve known each other forever. No one mentioned the Centre. Jarod felt so free. He didn’t want to wake up.

**

THAT EVENING
BACK AT THE HOUSE


The women sat in the living room with their feet up on the coffee table while all the men ate the blue ribbon pies in the kitchen, laughing and joking with each other. Then a dreadful thought popped into Jarod’s head and he excused himself from the men’s company. He headed quickly out through the living room, out of the house, and sat on the first step of the front porch. The women questioningly looked at each other when Jarod passed through without even looking at them.

He sat there on the step staring out into the night. He heard the door open and in moments he was embraced with loving arms from behind. Miss Parker knelt behind him and just held him.

"What’s wrong, Jarod?"

"I’m afraid."

"Afraid of what?"

"I’m afraid to wake up. This is all a dream-- you, my family, all the love, it’s just a dream. I’ll wake up tomorrow and live in a constant nightmare again."

"Jarod, what are you talking about?" Miss Parker got up from behind Jarod and sat next to him, not taking her hand from his shoulders. She took his face with other hand and made him look at her. She saw so much pain and sadness that it worried her. She felt his pain, she felt his sadness and her eyes began to sting with tears.

"I love you, Jarod. Nothing can and will ever change that. We’ve been through so much. The past three years we’ve been married have been the happiest years of my life."

"And that’s the problem, Parker! I don’t remember! I don’t remember who I am. I don’t remember anything about how we got together. I don’t remember being with you for the past three years! I-just-can’t remember."

Miss Parker felt a surge of sadness at the mention of her former name. "You promised you’d never call me that again."

Jarod buried his face in his hands. "I’m sorry." Miss Parker lifted his face up again and kissed him softly on the lips. "It’s okay."

Jarod stood and leaned back on the post that supported the porch. Miss Parker stood in front of him and took his hands in hers.

Jarod looked into her beautiful but troubled eyes.

"This morning I woke up to this wonderful dream. I have never felt so much love in my whole life. I love you so much. I have loved you for so long. But here, you love me in return. Now I’m afraid, I’m afraid I’m going to wake up tomorrow and be back to that hell where you hunt me down like an animal. I don’t want to go back there, Michele, I don’t want to go back there."

"Listen to me, Jarod. YOU belong with ME. It doesn’t matter if it’s in this reality or in that other one. If I’m there and you’re there, we belong together. Do you hear me? No matter where I am, I need you and I’m going to love you. We are made to be together. If you find yourself it that nightmare again, make it happen, Jarod. Make me realize that I love you—just like you did years ago when you rescued me from my hell."

Jarod wrapped his arms around Miss Parker’s shoulders and held her tightly. Miss Parker buried her face in his chest and securely wrapped her arms around his waist.

"I love you so much."

"And I love you will all my heart, Jarod."

They stood there holding and comforting each other for a long time. No words were needed to be said. They kissed, softly and tenderly at first, then their passion and hunger for each other overtook them. Breathing hard, Miss Parker broke the kiss. "We better take this to our room."

"Are you sure about this?"

Miss Parker looked at him and was amused by his reaction. She couldn’t hold in a chuckle.

"What’s so funny?"

"You have that same look on your face the night we first made love. I don’t know whether to worry or look forward to the rest of the evening."

"What do you mean?"

"That night was one of the most wonderful love-making I have ever experienced. You were nervous, so I got to be in control. Then all of a sudden, you turned expert on me and taught me a few things. It was quite terrific."

"Oh."

They went back into the house smiling at the last bit of conversation they had and headed upstairs to their room saying a quick goodnight to everyone.

After a while, Miss Parker fell asleep in Jarod’s arms. But Jarod refused to close his eyes, refused to give in to his fatigue because of the fear of returning to his other "reality." But his tiredness gnawed at him and he held on to Miss Parker tighter. He reasoned that if he held her, hung on to her, she could keep him from going back. He closed his eyes and hoped it would work.


THE NEXT MORNING

Jarod jolted up from his sleep fearing the worst. He looked around the dark room and saw no sign of life, no sign of love, no sign of hope.

"Nooooooooo!!!" "Micheeeeele!!" "Nooooooo!!" Jarod rolled himself into a ball on the bed and sobbed uncontrollably. There’s no one to comfort him, no one love him. He was alone again.


BLUE COVE
MISS PARKER’S HOUSE
THAT SAME MORNING


Miss Parker sat on the bed hugging her knees, tears falling endlessly from her eyes.

"Oh, Jarod, where are you? I need you. I shouldn’t have fallen asleep. I knew I’d wake up in this hell again. Why did I have to fall asleep?" Her cries of pain and anguish went on unheard and uncomforted.

After hours have passed, she finally got control of her emotions and started to get ready for work. "It was just a dream, Parker, just a stupid dream," she tried to convince herself.

Then a smile appeared on her face as she envisioned her dream. What a wonderful dream it was. She could still feel the warmth, the love, the passion. It seemed so real.

She shook her head to clear it. "What am I thinking? It could never be. I work for the Centre. I need to bring Jarod in so I can be free."


THE CENTRE
MISS PARKER’S OFFICE


Miss Parker sat at her desk. Her mind kept drifting back to that dream and how she can’t shake him off her thoughts. She looked down on the paper she’s been absentmindedly scribbling on and saw that she had outlined the letter J over and over again.

Sydney and Broots came into her office and she didn’t notice.

"M-Miss Parker?" Broots nervously asked. Miss Parker looked up at him dream-like, which made Broots even more nervous, and said nothing."Wh-what’s on the agenda today, Miss Parker?"

"Huh?"

"Are you okay?"

"I’m fine. Anything on…. Jarod?"

Sydney looked at her questionably. There was something different about her today. He noticed something odd about her when she mentioned Jarod’s name.

"No, nothing."

"Then go find something. I have work to do."


MISS PARKER’S HOUSE
WEEKS LATER


Miss Parker sat on her couch thinking about Jarod, waiting for his nightly call. She checked her watch again annoyed. "Where is he?!"

Her conversations with him in the past couple of weeks have been "different." He wasn’t too cryptic, he never hung up on her, there were no "what-lesson-did-you-learn-today" calls, and no smug remarks. He has been quite pleasant. Mostly they just talked and even joked with each other.

"Too weird", she thought. "What is he up to this time?" her hard core reasoned. But she can’t escape the fact that she enjoyed talking with him and actually long to hear his voice each night. "Damn! What is wrong with me? It’s like I’m back in High School! What game are you playing with me, Jarod?! Well, you won’t win!" Then she let out a frustrated scream.

The ringing of the phone fueled her anger and frustration.

"What!?"she yelled, immediately regretting her outburst.

"M-Miss P-Parker, you have to come to the Centre right away!"

"Broots? Why? What’s wrong?"

"Just hurry!" Click.

"Better be good, Broots." "If it’s just about Lyle, I swear I’m going to hurt someone."


AT THE CENTRE.

Miss Parker strode into her office to find Broots and Sydney with worried looks on their faces. "Come on, Parker."

Sydney and Broots practically dragged her to the Observation room.

She gasped as she saw the screen. "Jarod," she whispered with distress in her voice.

Broots and Sydney looked at each other and knew they were right in their suspicions about Miss Parker going soft on Jarod.

On the screen they saw Jarod’s wrists shackled above his head dangling from a chain, his feet tied together and barely touching the ground and anchored to the floor. "I want to talk to Miss Parker!!" he yelled, glaring at Lyle.Lyle hit him hard in the gut. "You talk to me first and maybe I’ll let you talk to….. Sydney?"

"He’s been screaming for you ever since they brought him in."

"I’m going in there."

"Miss Parker, they won’t let you. Orders from the Tower."

"To hell with the Tower."

Miss Parker stormed out the of the room and entered the room where Jarod and Lyle were.

"What the hell is going on here?" she demanded.

"Well, well, Parker. I just succeeded where you failed. As you can see, I brought Jarod back to where he belongs. I don’t know why he would want to talk to you. Probably to rub it in your face that you can’t catch him."

"Leave, Lyle. I want to have a word with Wonder boy."

"Tower orders say only I get access to Jarod."

"I said, leave." She pulled out her gun and trained it on Lyle’s head.

"You have two minutes, Parker."

Miss Parker didn’t know what to do. She felt sorry for Jarod but couldn’t show it because she knew surveillance cameras were on them. She paced around the room, not wanting to go near him and not wanting to meet his penetrating gaze.

"I need to tell you something, Parker." His voice almost sounding defeated.

"If you have something to tell me, say it." Her heart broke. But she had to keep the icy and cold appearance.

"For your ears only, Parker." She came closer to him and her insides shivered.

"What is it you need to tell me." She said through gritted teeth.

"Come closer." Miss Parker hesitated but got close to his face, making sure her back was to the camera, and bore into his eyes. His eyes softened and he spoke in an almost inaudible whisper, "I love you, Parker. With all my heart I love you."

Her heart began to beat fast, she was gasping for air, and her fingers clenched into a fist. She pulled back quickly and anger laced her voice.

"Damn you, Jarod!" She slapped him hard on the face and turned to leave the room. "Damn you," she whispered as she shut the door behind her, her eyes filling with tears.

"Parker. Please….." Now Jarod couldn’t hold in the tears. The physical pain he felt didn’t compare to the pain he felt in his heart.

Sydney, Broots, and Lyle came out to meet her out in the hallway.

"What did he say to you?" Sydney questioned.

"Just more of his lies!" Miss Parker now had tears streaming down her face as she went past them, leaving the three men in confusion in the hallway. She entered her office and sat on the couch and buried her face in her hands, unaware of the presence of another person in the room.

Lyle went back to where Jarod was and pricked his arm with a syringe. Jarod didn’t resist or fight. He felt lost and now he was feeling very tired and sleepy. The image of Parker’s reaction burned into his mind as he closed his heavy eyes. "Parker, please…" he pleaded one last time.

"Night-night, Jarod." Lyle’s overly satisfied look made Sydney and Broots cringe with worry.

Angelo crept to where Miss Parker was and touched her shoulder. She jumped at his touch and tried to wipe the tears from her face.

"Angelo, you startled me."

"Miss Parker sad…..hurt…..confused…..angry at self."

"Yes, Angelo, all of the above."

"Jarod back in the Centre." Angelo said sadly.

"Yes, he is."

Then Angelo lifted both eyebrows and smiled. Miss Parker was shocked at his expression.

"Help Jarod escape."

"Angelo, you will help Jarod escape?" Miss Parker asked worriedly.

"No, YOU help Jarod escape."

"Why the hell would I help Jarod escape?"

Angelo cocked his head to one side, narrowed his eyes, and smiled.

"Because you love him."

Then Angelo scampered away, leaving Miss Parker stunned at his comment.

****

"Jarod! Jarod! Wake up!" Miss Parker slapped him again.

"Parker, please…."

"Jarod!" This time, the slap jolted him into consciousness.

"Wha-what? Parker? "

"Not Parker, Michelle"

"Where am I?"

"We’re in Kansas, Toto."

"Why are we in Kansas and who’s Toto?"

"Never mind, Jarod. We’re at your parents house in Maine."

"Did-did you say, Michelle?"

"Yes. Sorry for hitting you on the face so hard."

"Michele? As in MY Michelle?"

"Yes, it’s me. You were having a nightmare—kept calling me Parker."

"Is it really you?"

"Jarod! It really is me!—not a dream, not fiction, not Parker anymore, your wife?"

Miss Parker took Jarod in her arms and held him tightly. All he could do was melt into her embrace and shed tears of joy, and sadness—joy because once again, he was loved, and sadness because of that constant fear that he will return to his nightmare or wake up from this dream.

"Am I going crazy? I can’t even tell which part I’m in and what’s reality or dream."

"Did you have that same nightmare again?"

"Yes, but this time, I told you that I loved you."

"And?"

"You slapped me."

Miss Parker didn’t want to make light of the matter, but she couldn’t hold in a little chuckle that sounded more like a snort.

"Oh Michelle, I’m so glad you’re here." Jarod felt so content and secure in her arms.

"I’m glad I’m here, too. There’s no where else in the world where I’d rather be than to be with you. Now, we need to get up and get going. We’ve got a day’s drive ahead of us." Miss Parker then untangled herself from Jarod and headed toward the bathroom. But before she left the room, Jarod stopped her.

"Michelle?"

"Yes?"

"I know this may sound crazy, but…….I’m still having a hard time remembering a damned thing……"

"I’ll tell you our life story on the drive home." Miss Parker winked at him and blew him a kiss. Then Miss Parker’s face turned serious and a little bit sad. "But I’m going to warn you now, it’s complicated and………", she couldn’t find the right word " full of ……stuff."

They packed their bags and said their goodbye’s to Jarod’s family and to Sydney and Angelo. Outside the weather has turned ominous. The clouds were dark, the wind began to howl, and the rain began to fall.

"Jarod, honey," his mother’s voice was full of concern, "are you sure you wouldn’t want to wait out the storm? The roads will be very slick and it’ll be hard to see with the heavy rain."

"Oh Mom Russell," Miss Parker spoke up, "you worry too much. I’ll be driving so we’ll be fine."

"I’d be worried if she’s driving." Sydney commented.

"Very funny, Sydney" Miss Parker said as she kissed the older man on the cheek. "Bye."

Jarod and Miss Parker ran into the car and waved their final goodbye’s to the people who looked out from the window.

For the first few minutes, there was a comfortable silence between the two. Jarod laid his head back and stared at the distance, his arms crossed across his chest. The rain began to fall harder so Miss Parker concentrated on the road, but glanced occasionally at Jarod trying to figure out what he’s thinking.

"Are you okay, Jarod?"

"Yeah, I’m fine. It’s just so frustrating that my mind won’t cooperate with me. Why am I so confused about my life? Is it from the hit I got on the head? If this is reality, why did I have over 30 years of nightmare brewing in my sub-conscience? If this is the dream, how can I be controlling what I say and what I do? If I wanted to tell you that I love you, I can just say it, right? If I wanted to just reach over and kiss you, I can do it, right?"

Miss Parker remained silent, not knowing which question to answer first.

"I love you, Michelle. See? I wanted to do it and I did."

Then he reached over and kissed her on the cheek. "See? I wanted to do that and I did it."

"So where do you want me to start?"

"From the beginning." Jarod settled back on his seat but suddenly got close to the windshield trying to see outside through the pouring rain.

"Michelle, slow down."

"Yes, I see it, too."

Just before the road turned, a car lay upside down on the side of the road, its hazard lights still flashing.

Miss Parker crossed the other lane of the rural highway and tried to keep from sliding off the road into the ditch. She slid a little but managed to get the car parked along side of the road about 50 feet from the overturned vehicle that they spotted.

"Sorry, couldn’t get us closer."

"I’ll go check to see if anyone’s hurt." Jarod offered.

"If you need me, I’ll be right here."

Jarod ran toward the other car against the beating rain. His heart was racing from the anxiety of what he might find. He looked in the car and was relieved that it was empty and started back to his vehicle. When he got between the two cars, another car out of control came around the corner and in an instant, it hit Jarod broad side causing him to fly twenty feet before landing on some rocks. The scene played slow motion in Miss Parker’s eyes and she shrieked in terror. "Jaroood!!!"


AT THE HOSPITAL

Jarod’s family, with Sydney and Angelo, sat in the waiting area trying to wait patiently for word on Jarod. Miss Parker paced and ignored everyone who told her to calm down.

"What the hell is taking so long!! I need to see him!" Then she spotted the surgeon come out of the ER and ran toward him. "Well? How is he? Where is he? Can I see him?" The doctor took off his head cover and mask and Miss Parker was taken back in shock as she recognized the man.

"Lyle? What are you doing here? You operated on Jarod?" she asked nervously, memories of his past with Jarod flooding her mind.

"Don’t worry, Michelle, I’m a professional. I wouldn’t let the past interfere with me saving a life, even if it is Jarod’s. We managed to stop the internal bleeding and patched up his broken ribs. He has a severe concussion and isn’t out of the woods yet. He has a chance of going into a coma.

"Can I please just see him? I need to be with him." Miss Parker pleaded.

"Only you. He needs all the peace and rest he can get. I’ll tell the rest of the family what’s happening."

"Thank you, Lyle."

******

Jarod woke up in a cold, dark cell. His foot was shackled together to a chain that only gave him enough slack to walk around the small cell. He felt like crap. His muscles ached and his ribs hurt from the sweepers’ brutality. He lay back down on the cot and stared at the vent on the wall. It was way too small for him to get out of. "Not again, please, why am here again?" he cried silently. Then he saw what looked like a very big spider crawl out of the vent and down the wall. He looked at the camera above the vent and the light went off. He got up and got closer to the spider that has stopped crawling. Jarod noticed that it wasn’t real so he picked it up from the wall and squeezed it. Inside the spider was a sharp object. Jarod dug though the insect and found two keys. One key unlocked his shackles and the other unlocked the cell door. He quickly got out of the cell and headed to find Angelo. Running through the maze of the Centre sub-levels, he found the secret passageway to Angelo’s room. Angelo opened the door excitedly as if expecting Jarod. Jarod smiled at his friend and opened up his hand to reveal the keys and the spider. "Thank you, Angelo."

Angelo took the spider and examined it.

"Don’t thank Angelo. Thank Miss Parker."

"What? Miss Parker? Why? Do you know where Miss Parker is?"

"Miss Parker gone. Go to see Ben."

***

"Time’s up, Michelle. You need to get some rest yourself. I’ll keep you posted on his situation."

"Should I trust you, Lyle? How do I know you won’t just kill him right here?" Miss Parker was scared and angry at the same time.

"If I wanted him dead, he would have died on the operating table. And believe me, the thought crossed my mind a couple of times. But that’s the past, Michelle. I’ve grown up and moved on."

"Fine, but if you, if you…." Miss Parker began to cry, "if you do anything wrong to him, I’ll kill you." Miss Parker was not able to hold in the sobs of pain and grief she felt.

Lyle put a hand on her shoulder and led her toward the door. "I promise, I won’t let anything happen to him. You really love him, don’t you?"

"With everything I have."

Lyle led Miss Parker out of the room and headed back toward the patient. He stared at Jarod’s still form and bouts of jealousy began to rise up in him. "Control, Lyle, control." He reminded himself. "So? Jarod? How did you do it? How did you end up with her? How did you get through to her? She was one unreachable bitch to reckon with. I wanted her. But you were ALWAYS there. She was always running to you when she’s having a hard day. She ran to you for whatever was happening in her life. I was jealous of your friendship. I really thought I was the one who could get to her, could get her to love a man. People said she and I were so much alike, we could be related. I hated you, Jarod. You probably knew that. I wanted to make life hell for you cause you sure made it hell for me. You were always the better one, better at school, better at sports, better at attracting all the women, better at getting to Michelle. I even became a doctor at first so I can compete with you. You and I were never friends. Who would have thought that I’d end up saving your life? Funny, huh? Don’t worry, I’ve gotten over my hatred for you. I hope you’ve gotten over your hatred for me. I’m married now, you know. She’s wonderful and she loves me. Get better, Jarod. There are a lot of people out there who love you."


EARLY THAT MORNING

Major Charles and Margaret quietly peeked though the door. He hasn’t woken up from the coma. They looked around and didn’t see Miss Parker anywhere so they decided to go in and "talk" with Jarod. "I wonder where Michelle is?"

Major Charles asked. "She’s probably in another room sleeping. I hope. Poor dear. She loves our Jarod so much."

"What do we do, Charles?"

"I-I don’t know. I guess we just talk to him and hope and pray he hears us and comes back to us."

"Hello, son." The Major began. "Remember that plane I gave you when you were three? You loved that plane. I-I wish I was around more when you were growing up. Being away from you and the family broke my heart. But I had a duty I had to fulfill…. I-I…." Major Charles couldn’t hold in the grief and sorrow he felt. He stood and started toward the door. "I can’t stand to see him like this, Margaret. I’ll be outside for a few minutes."

Margaret sat close to the bed and took Jarod’s hand in hers. "Your father and I love you very much. Your sister adores you. And Kyle, my poor baby Kyle. When he was stolen from us, you blamed yourself for not being able to protect him. You kept saying that you wished it was you they took and not him. We finally found him years later, but he was a very bitter and evil man. When he got killed, you made sure he lived on so you had his heart donated to a young man in need. You are such a loving person. You always put others first. Come back to us, Jarod. We need you. If you can hear me, please come back to us." Margaret put her head on their hands and began to cry.

"He’s so lucky to have people love him so." Sydney had entered the room and had placed a hand on Margaret’s shoulders.

"I’m going to check on Charles."

Sydney took the seat that Margaret occupied and stared at Jarod, pain and wonder showing on his face.

"Michelle told us you wanted to hear your life story from the beginning. You lived life to the fullest. . Your life alone was full, but mix it with Michelle’s? It was over-flowing. You saved her, you know. If you hadn’t taken the risk with her father and her uncle Raines, she would not have been free. And she wouldn’t have lived with me. I love her like she’s my own daughter. Angelo loves her, too. Angelo, your friend Angelo. Even after the accident, you never stopped being his friend. You protected him from the school bullies, you taught him great things, you are such a good friend to him. Angelo was such a brilliant child. You two were always plotting things and working on "projects." When Michelle’s uncle, Raines, the mention of that man’s name just outrages me, when he didn’t lift a finger to help Angelo when he was getting electrocuted, I wanted to kill him myself. The severe electrocutiondamaged part of Angelo’s brain. You promised him you’d find a way to fix him. Well, you ARE a successful surgeon, but I don’t think there’s a cure for Angelo’s condition. You never stopped trying, though." Sydney gave a little chuckle. "You are a good man. I’m also glad I had time to spend with you when your father was away. I, too, love you like my own son."

"Hi, Sydney. Any change? " Miss Parker hugged Sydney from behind.

"No. I was just telling him stories about the past. It’s a little painful to recollect some things."

Miss Parker held Sydney for a little while before she broke the silence between them.

"I love you, Syd."

"And I love you, my beautiful Michelle. Now, I’ll leave you to fill in all the details." Sydney smiled at her and left her alone with Jarod.

Miss Parker took Jarod’s hand and kissed his knuckles and then leaned over and kissed him on the lips.

"Hi, handsome." Miss Parker held on to his hands as she talked about their lives.

"Let’s see, where do I start? We grew up together. You and Angelo were my best friends. You were there when my Momma died. My Momma--I miss her so much. I cried to you every time my Daddy beat me. A couple of times you tried to stand up to him and even took some blows intended for me. I remember, when I was ten years old, that day when you and I got back from school and found my mother unconscious on the floor. My father beat her so badly, she…she… My uncle Raines was there, too. I hated him and you hated him. My Daddy sent us away from the house, told us my mom is okay, and told me you aren’t welcome in our house.

You were so mad. When I got back home, they told me Momma left to see her friend and won’t be back for a while. Then you and Angelo set up a sting to get back at my dad and uncle. You said that if they were out of the way, the beatings would stop. You didn’t tell me you suspected Momma was dead. You and Angelo got evidence to get Daddy and Raines convicted of murder with no chance of parole. That’s how I ended up living with Sydney. He offered. I didn’t want to be reminded of my father, so I told you to quit calling me Parker and just call me by my first name. I was so happy cause then I got to be with you and Angelo whenever I wanted.

Sydney and your parents were so good to me. I love you so much, Jarod. I couldn’t for a long time. I thought men were just out hurt me so I couldn’t let myself love anyone. I loved you in a different way—sort of like a big brother, so I thought. Well, you always treated me like I was your sister—you showed no romantic interest in me. Actually, you showed NO romantic interest in any of the girls. You were the best looking, nicest, smartest NERD that ever lived. You weren’t interested in anything but getting your work done and doing the best in sports and whatever project you pick. You didn’t even watch TV.

You never partied, never hung out with the "cool" kids, just work, work, work. You were a self-proclaimed genius, too. Every time you did something, you’d yell, "I’m a genius!" Even in college, you put everything into your studies. You always wanted to be a doctor so you can help others. As usual, I partied, hooked up with guys who aren’t good for me, hung out with Lyle, ended up crying to you when things got bad. I got a modeling job and left the country for a while. I traveled the world, we lost track of each other, but I never found a friend as good as you. When I got back to the states, you were gone. You went to Africa to help treat people medically. I didn’t even know if you thought about me. I heard from you once in a while—you sent me little gifts, but I ignored it all.

You left me. I don’t really know why I was mad since I left you first. But that’s just me. I’m a selfish, stubborn, ungrateful bitch. Six years ago you came back for Christmas and we saw each other again. When I saw you, all my insides went crazy. I couldn’t breath, I couldn’t think, I couldn’t move. I was so happy to see you but I was also nervous. I didn’t know how it would be between us. You came up to me and gave me the biggest hug—still that innocent, un-romantic guy that you were. So I thought. We talked, caught each other up on what’s happening in our lives, I was relieved to hear you were still unattached.

Then for some reason, during that Christmas season, something clicked between us. I always knew that I loved you, and I knew you loved me, too, but not THAT way. Actually, I didn’t think I was capable of loving anyone THAT way. My father and uncle took that away from me. But like I said, something clicked and I saw you differently, I loved you differently. Well, that was the beginning of our WONDERFUL relationship. You taught me how to love others, to care about others. I am so lucky to have you in my life, Jarod so don’t you leave me now. Don’t you DARE leave me now!"

*********

With his head still fuzzy, like he was walking in a dream, Jarod arrived at Ben’s house in Maine. He was determined to talk to Miss Parker—no matter what the outcome might be. "Angelo said to thank her, so here I am. She wouldn’t set me free if she wanted me back in the Centre, would she?" Jarod thought.

Ben opened the door and received Jarod gladly. "She’s expecting you. Well, she didn’t really say she’s expecting you. She just said you’d probably be coming. She didn’t tell me to turn you away, so I’m letting you in. It’s good to see you again, Jarod. I hope you two settle whatever is going on between you."

Jarod scratched his neck and ran his fingers through his hair nervously.

"She’s out in the garden, son."

"Thank you, Ben."

Miss Parker stood admiring the roses when she felt someone staring at her. She knew it was Jarod, but didn’t turn around to face him. Her insides were going crazy.

"Hello, Parker."

"Jarod." Miss Parker responded dryly without turning around so he doesn’t see on her face the battle that’s raging inside her.

"Angelo told me to thank you. Why did you do it? I thought you had your heart set on leaving me in that wretched place?"

Miss Parker turned around and gasped when she felt Jarod so close to her. He stood there just inches away from her.

"When you told me you loved me, did you say it because you meant it or just to get a reaction from me?" She sounded hurt, but tried to hide it with anger.

"I didn’t expect the reaction I got." Jarod smiled lightly.

Miss Parker clenched her fists and abruptly turned away from him. ‘How foolish I was. I should have known better than to trust him.’ She thought angrily. ‘He used me! The bastard just used me!’ Just when she was about to turn around to give him a fierce slap on the face, Jarod touched her arms and slid his hands gently down to her hands, lacing his fingers with hers. Then he whispered in her ear that sent a shiver up her spine and down to her fingertips.

"I love you. With all my heart, I love you." Miss Parker closed her eyes and leaned into Jarod and he wrapped his arms around her, fingers still laced together.

They embraced each other for a long time, not saying a word but communicating everything. Jarod turned Miss Parker around and kissed her then he took her by the hand and they headed back into the house. As they walked, again he whispered to her, "I love you, Michelle," and he squeezed her hand.

*******

Miss Parker jolted mid-sentence and stood up excitedly. "He squeezed my hand! Nurse! Get in here! He squeezed my hand!" Miss Parker leaned toward Jarod and spoke to him urgently. "Jarod, can you hear me?"

"Mi-Michelle, I love you, Michelle." Jarod whispered.

"Did you hear that! He called me Michelle! I’m here, sweetheart, I’m here."

Jarod fluttered his eyes open and saw Miss Parker’s face full of joy and excitement.

"Michelle?"

"Yes, Jarod, it’s me." Miss Parker hugged him tightly and cried.

"I love you, too, Jarod. I love you, too."


EPILOGUE

Jarod recovered completely and was taken home by his family. He regained all his memory and never returned to the nightmare that plagued him in the past week. He and Miss Parker lived a normal life and often visited his parents in Maine.


THE END!!!
Whew!