Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: They're not mine but if I were a big important producer person, I’d buy the rights to the Pretender and do what I please with the characters! And then the day is mine... well... um... errr.. Never mind just disregard that last remark. BTW if you are a big important producer person don't sue I only make $5.15 an hour, it wouldn't be worth it.



You Don’t Know What You’ve Got:
Till It’s Gone

by Injury Princess




Broots had his laptop set up on the table of Miss. Parker’s hotel room. Miss. Parker sat in an arm chair with her eyes focused out the window. A drag here and there of her cigarette was the only indication that Broots had that she wasn’t comatose. There was something about her lately, not in the way she’d been acting; she was the same as usual. But still Broots felt it was something inside that was bothering her. Either way he’d had enough of sitting here tracking Jarods’ non-existent trail.

“Miss. Parker it’s been almost a week since… I.. I.. I think Jarod is long gone.” Broots stated now standing in the middle of the room, as he finished her cell phone rang.

“What?” She asked in her usual ice queen fashion. “We’re on our way.” She walked out of the room without a word leaving the door open for Broots. She spotted Sidney standing over by the car reading a newspaper. “We got a lead.” She said proudly as she got in the car.

~~~~~~~~~~

It was only a ten minute drive from where they’d been staying. Miss. Parker explained that a women had been selling a hand full of daises, for about a week now, to a man every day around noon. After which he walked to the cliffs and passes her again a while later empty handed.

“I agree that it is important to catch Jarod but don’t you think he’s been through enough for the time being?” Sidney asked from the back seat. She looked up at him form her rear view mirror.

“You can council him when we all get back to the Centre, right now we have to catch him.” She drove on silently her mind was made up.

~~~~~~~~~~

Jarod walked up the side of the cliff, clutching a few yellow daisies, to the spot where she had died. He dare not visit her grave for fear of sweepers. The police were called in after Jarod fled from Centre sweepers, after she was gone. Besides her body may be there but her soul was here on the cliff. The same cliff her sister had died on. A snake bit, just one small snake, it didn’t take long for the poison to take over, she died in his arms. She wasn’t angry or upset at death closing in; in fact she was the one comforting Jarod. Standing over the spot he was upset but he felt at peace; she changed his world and he changed hers, and he was proud of that. He sat down and looked at the hills and valleys that made up the surrounding area, it was beautiful. He felt good, he felt ready to move on. But his thoughts were interrupted by the sound of a car stopping and three door slams. Jarod stood up just in time to catch Miss. Parker’s eye. He froze a moment in terror and then they both took off; Sidney and Broots trailed behind.

Jarod knew the area pretty well; he quickly decided to take the chase higher up the cliff so the run down would be harder for Miss. Parker, with her tall black shoes. Jarod reached the top and looked over the edge, he knew how steep it was and tried to stay away form it. Miss. Parker reached the top as he started decent down the other side. She stumbled at the top of the cliff her hand shot down to the ground and quickly up to her waist.

“Jarod freeze!” She shouted with her gun drawn. He stopped and looked over his shoulder, about to make a break for it when he saw the look on her face. Fear in her eyes, her mouth open slightly and the heel of her tall black shoe slipping off the edge.

“Parker!” Jarod shouted and scrambled back up but he was to late. It happened too quickly, he blinked and she was gone when he reached the edge she was nowhere in sight. Sidney and Broots, having seen everything, made it to the top a few seconds after Jarod.

Jarod jumped to his feet and was about to climb down the cliff when Sidney grabbed his shoulder. “Jarod it’s almost a straight drop into the water.” He paused. “She didn’t make it.” The screeching of tires alerted them to the arrival of the sweepers. “Go Jarod. While there’s still time.” Sidney ordered. Jarod lingered for a moment still in shock then reluctantly turned and ran away.

~~~~~~~~~~

“Sidney.” Broots said because he didn’t know what to say.

Two sweepers made it to the top first. “Where’s Jarod?” The first questioned.

“H-H-He got away.” Broots stuttered still dazed.

“And where’s Miss. Parker?” The other asked. Sidney looked down at the edge of the cliff.

“She’s gone.” Sidney uttered softly.

~~~~~~~~~~

Five hours later Jarod was driving blind. He turned the radio up and just concentrated on the road. It was getting dark; he was going to need directions, but to where. He didn’t really care. It was his fault. He was the reason she was there. What made him take the chase up there? Why didn’t he just leave after Zoey died? Questions kept circling through his brain stealing his concentration. He was so caught up he almost didn’t see the minivan that had the right of way. His tires screeched as he swerved to miss the vehicle. As the van drove out of sight Jarod took a deep breath and pulled to the side of the road. He cut the engine and rested head on hands on top of the wheel. He knew what he needed to do. He reached down into his bag pulled out his cell phone and hit a preset number.

“Sidney.” He heard and tears welt up in his eyes.

End of prologue