Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

***** I am in no way connected to The Pretender, NBC or the like. I am using their characters and plotlines based on their show, of which I am obsessed. The only thing that's mine in here is Nikki.



It Takes A Thief....
Part 4
by CrackerJack




A Week Later:
Miss Parkers Office,
The Centre, Blue Cove, Delaware


Miss Parker, Sydney, Broots and Bobby Exited the room shortly after the DSA stopped playing. They probably planned to split up, as Sydney and Broots did, but Miss P and Bobby ended up walking beside each other. Two thoughts ran through Miss P's head: either they were headed for the same place, or Bobby was nonchalantly spying on her. She was going to say something, but Bobby called it in first

"You headed for Raines?" He asked. Miss P shot him her stare and said simply,

"What do you think?"

"They say birds of a feather flock together. "Bobby replied hopefully.He had a suggesting look on his face.

" You're not suggesting we work together?" She commented.

"Why not? It was my mother, too. Besides, Great minds think alike. "He had an inviting smile, and for a minute, they just stood there, staring at each other. Finally, in an agreement that needed no words, the twins continued down the hall, Searching for answers.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

A few days Later
The Centre
Blue Cove, Delaware.


Miss Parker sighed as she stepped into her office. The conversation with rains revealed nothing about Lt. Commander Nikki. Raines denied all knowledge of her. A few days later, they confronted her, no THEIR father, and his explanation was that next to the twins, Nikki was the best person for the job. Her navy training best enabled her to bring him in, once he was found. He didn't seem too convincing. Plus, so far, Broots hadn't been able to find any records of Nikki. They were well hidden. And as If that wasn't enough, neither the Twins, nor Nikki had been able to find Jarod.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Sydney's Office,
The Centre,
Blue Cove, Delaware


The door to Sydney's office opened, and Broots burst in. He was out of Breath, as if he had been jogging. He was carrying a DSA and a player.

" I found this" He said between gasps "But I couldn't find Miss Parker, so I came to see you." With that he placed the player and the DSA on the desk.'Sure, don't tell me what it is.' Sydney thought as he opened the player and inserted the DSA. IT started immediately. . .

. . . There was a little girl, and Raines was leading her her down the hall past a sim-lab. They spotted Sydney and Jarod ahead of them, coming towards them. Jarod noticed her, too. He asked Sydney about her. "Sydney, who's that? Is she special, Too?" Sydney answered simply "Yes, Jarod. She is." Jarod must have decided that he liked her, because he smiled at her. Nikki's eyes, however were not as trusting, and she smiled only slightly as they passed. After the two groups had passed, the camera stayed on Jarod and Sydney. Jarod had put his mind to work, and come up with another Question.

"If she's special, " Jarod theorized. "Then how come I've never seen her before?" Sydney considered this for a moment and then replied

"She has been busy with other things.''

"What's her name?" Jarod asked.

"I don't know" . . .

. . .Sydney sat, as if remembering something. Broots, who had no idea what this was about, Tried to understand.

"That little girl was Nikki?" He asked.

Sydney just nodded. "Where did you get that from?" Sydney asked.

"From Angelo. Nikki looks like Anne of Green Gables. I'll bet she had the temper to boot." He said, in a feeble attempt to cheer Sydney up. He cracked a little smile and got up.

"W-w-wait, where are you going?" Broots shouted after them. He struggled to keep up.

"To find Miss Parker." They shut the door, and there was a rattling in the vent once more. Again, Angelo came out and he went up to the DSA player that had been so carelessly left behind. He removed the DSA. ON it was the date 1965. He retreated from the room, and replaced the Grate.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

SL-15
The Centre,
Blue Cove, Delaware


Nikki sat by a computer. She was not in uniform. She was searching the Online newspapers for signs of Jarod, until she heard a sound. It was a rattling noise, and she swiveled in her chair untill she had located the source of the noise. It was the air duct, and Nikki got up and cautiously approached it. She peered in, wary of what she might find. Her muscled tensed. There was a figure in the duct, and the figure moved closer towards her untill she could see that It was Anglelo.

"Hello." She said. "Would you care to assist me in finding Jarod?" Angelo thought over this for a minute, "got to find Jarod" He decided.

"Make the pictures go away." He got out and went to the Computer, and Nikki joined him. After a Few minutes, Nikki had paused over a sispicious article. The headline read:

The Seattle Times, November 6, 1998 Police have suspect in Seattle burning

Angelo was concentrating on the headline. He heaved a sigh fo relief. Nikki was confused. It must have shown on her face, because he explained himself.
"That was close." he said. Nikki smiled slightly. 'Gotcha.' she thought.She picked up the intercom and pushed Raines' button.

"Yes?" Raines hissed

"I think I've got him. "Nikki answered undaunted. "All I need is

Transportation, and a set of Cuffs, and I can get him." Raines was silent for a moment when he heard this.

"I'm on my way." he replied.

Nikki replaced the receiver, and looked at Angelo. He was digging around for something in his pocket. He found it, and handed it to Nikki. It was a DSA, with the date 1965.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

SL-15
The Centre,
Blue Cove, Delaware


Nikki stuck the DSA into the PC, and It started. . .

. . . . . . There was a little girl, and Raines was leading her her down the hall past a sim-lab. They spotted Sydney and Jarod ahead of them, coming towards them. . .

Nikki turned it of and removed it. The memory came flooding back yet again, and in detail. She didn't need to see this again. Nikki attempted to banish the memory from her head, as footsteps came. He had come. Nikki had just enough time to stand and put the DSA into her pocket before Raines entered the room. He had with him 4 sweepers, all armed. Nikki noticed that Gar wasn't among them. Theysurrounded her at all sides and closed her in.

"Tomorrow you will tell us where he is."Raines said flatly. Then to his sweepers he said take her away.

"NO!" Nikki screamed as the sweepers grabbed her forcefully. She thrashed about, attampting to break free, trying to use her training to the best of her ability. But she was against 4 sweepers. They were armed and she wasn't. She was clearly outmatched. And she had been betrayed. The sweepers dragged her down, down down, and finaly Flung her into a cell. One of the sweepers said to her "Don't go anywhere." Nikki just glared at him. It was Willy.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

SL-26
The Centre
Blue Cove, Delaware.


Inside her cell, Nikki fumed. This wasn't the first time Raines had betrayed her. The memory came flooding back again, in vivid detail. She had expected it then. She hadn't stood for it then, either. Why didn't she expected this time? Why was she just sitting here, in this dark "pit"?

She looked around. It wasn't as bleak as her cell in SL-27 had been. This offered her a ray of hope because she WASN'T in her cell in SL-27. She was sure that if it hadn't been bombed, she probably would be. Yet despite all she had been through, she knew she still stood a chance against Raines. All she needed was an oppertunity to escape.

The door opened, and a familiar person entered. It was Willy the Sweeper again. He carried a tray of food. Nikki stared at it ravenously as he brought it to her. Not that she was hungry, but she saw on the tray a napkin and a straw. Willy noticed this and he took it as hunger. He teased her.

"Eat Hearty." he grinned. Nikki fingered the DSA in her pocket nervously. She hoped her plan would be successful. 'What's that expression' she searched 'So crazy it just might work?'Willy handed her the tray and left, giving her her window of escape. But first she would eat. . .

. . . When she finished eating she turned her back on the surveillance cameras, and tore off a small piece. She moistened it in her mouth, raised the straw to her lips, and turned back to the camera again. Taking carefull aim, she judged her shot and blew. The spitball landed on the Camera's lens, blocking it completely. She exited the room via the vents, stalling only long enough to write a note on the rest of the napkin:

Two down, how many more to go?