Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

A/N: Dedicated to Mickey, who was having a bad day and needed a bit of shipper. Shall I continue?

Jarod, Not Nobody

by RRP



Be not nobody.

The words echoed in his head, and he couldn’t get rid of them. He didn’t know where they had come from, or why. The phrase had just popped in his head, and refused to leave him alone. Refused!

It couldn’t mean much, but he had the haunting feeling that it meant something. Possibly, maybe, it meant that he had to be his own person. He couldn’t Pretend forever, and he had to be someone when he was not pretending.

Was he, Jarod, really his own person? Was there a personality, a meaningful life, underneath the weight of the world? Apart from Pretending, could he be somebody? Doubts swirled in his head, a vacuuming vortex in a murky night mind. He wanted to be someone, he wanted Jarod to be someone.

Before he could change his mind, he picked up the phone.

“What?”

Even half-asleep and growling, she sounded beautiful. There was no other way to put it. She just sounded beautiful. He allowed a smile to creep across his face, and his soul to revel in thoughts of her.

“Miss Parker, have you ever suffered a mid-life crisis?” He asked contemplatively, determined to get her chatting, and then really talking. He needed to really talk to someone, and something said that she was the one to talk to.

“Jarod, my whole freaking life has been a crisis. No mid-life required.” Was the tired response, followed by a sigh. He heard something crinkle on her side of the line, and guessed she was sitting up in bed– the crinkle could have been her bed creaking, her covers shifting, or she could be wearing one of those revealing little pieces of...

With a frown, he pushed those thoughts away.

“You ever wonder what the words, ‘be not nobody’ mean?” Jarod asked, feeling compelled to do so. He was truly curious as to what her response would be.

“I don’t know, Jarod.” She answered with another exhausted sigh. “Does this conversation have a point?”

“I’m not sure. Do you know who I am? I’ve been trying to figure that one out.”

“Look, Jarod. I’m not in the mood for your twisted little family-finder games, okay?” Miss Parker was thoroughly exasperated with the man, and didn’t mind letting him know.

“No, Parker. Me. I want to know who I am. And I was thinking, maybe you could help me?”

“How exactly?” She asked suspiciously, raising an eyebrow. Jarod fiddled with his thumbs, and leaned back in his chair before answering.

“They say sex can be therapeutic, but I was thinking we could talk for a while, have dinner or something. Save getting laid for later.” Jarod smirked, even though he knew she couldn’t see him.

“Hmm...where do you want to meet?”

“What?” Jarod nearly flew out of his chair. He had been fully expecting her to say no, and then hang up with a curse or two for good measure. “Umm...Sydney’s cabin?”

“Sounds good to me Wonderboy. See you tomorrow night? Just so you know, I don’t cook.”

With that, she hung up. And Jarod felt very much like he was soon to find out exactly who Jarod was. With a little help of course...