Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Microsoft Word

- Text Size +

Ghosts
by Pretender_Mel


The bar was dim and nearly empty, but that was just the way Sydney preferred it. He sat alone at the table furthest away from the light and noise of the few patrons that happened to be there. His drink of choice was the strongest the bartender had to offer. Sydney didn’t know what was in it, and furthermore, didn’t care. All he cared about was how numb it would make him, and most importantly his heart.

On the table before him were several photos, all of people he had hurt in his life. People whose lives he had had a part in destroying. There was Jacob’s of course, Jacob who was now in a coma probably never to wake again because he couldn’t keep his damned hands on the wheel and the car on the road. And Jarod, so tortured and lost, denied a normal life, and love. Sydney, as the only father figure in his life, had wanted to give him love, but couldn’t. And then there was Michelle, the love of his life. Forced to run away carrying his child and bear that child all alone. Because of him. They were all crying out in pain and sorrow because of him.

And now he sat, drinking to their memories, to their ghosts. He raised his glass to them as he’d done a thousand times before, hoping that somehow, someway, the ghosts would give him their forgiveness this time. He waited, and several minutes went by. No forgiveness tonight. Only stony silence. He’d have to try again tomorrow. And the next night. And the night after that….


End.