Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: The characters don't belong to me, no infringement is intended and no money is being made.

The Baby Series
Peanut Butter and Pickles
Melanie-Anne



Miranda woke up later than she usually did and stretched lazily before turning her head to look at Jarod's side of the bed. It was empty. She frowned. In the three days since they'd moved in, Jarod had been strangely distant towards both her and Tommy. She wondered if his mood had anything to with Lyle and Emily. They were supposed to be arriving within the next few days and while Miranda knew Jarod was dying to see his sister, she also knew that Lyle was the last person he wanted to see.

She sighed. Yes, Jarod had every reason to hate Lyle. She supposed that if she were in Jarod's position she'd probably hate Lyle too. But she knew exactly what had motivated Lyle. Hell, if she'd been in Lyle's shoes she'd have probably done the same thing. The Centre had destroyed any chance they had of living normal lives. If Jarod wanted a future with Miranda then he'd have to learn to accept her brother.

Her spirits dropped as she remembered a time in the not-so-distant past when she'd believed that Jarod's father had killed her mother. She wanted to kill him then, too. She hoped Jarod didn't still hold that against her.

Sitting up, she swung her legs over the side of the bed and immediately regretted doing so. She felt a wave of nausea but refused to give in to it. As much as she loved her pregnancy, morning sickness was one side effect she would be happy to forego. She placed a hand on her belly and smiled. The thought that there was a life growing inside her - regardless of how that life was created - never failed to fill her with awe. As her pregnancy progressed she found herself thinking often of her mother and felt closer to her than she had in years.

"Mama!"

Miranda looked towards the bedroom door and saw Tommy crawling into the room

"Tommy, what are you doing here?"

He giggled and crawled even faster. She knelt on the floor and held out her arms.

"Morning, beautiful boy."

He placed his chubby little hands on either side of her face and pulled her down, planting a slobbery kiss on her lips. Her heart melted.

"I love you," she said, rubbing his nose in an Eskimo kiss. "Where's your father?"

"Right here," Jarod said from the door. He'd watched Tommy crawl to Miranda and had seen the tender display of love between mother and son. He felt excluded, but knew that he was in part to blame. He was just so full of hate towards Lyle and the knowledge that his precious sister was travelling with him was enough to make his blood boil. Despite Emily's assurances over the phone that she was fine and that Lyle hadn't done anything untoward, he'd only be satisfied when she arrived.

Miranda looked up when he spoke and gave him a hesitant smile. He felt a sudden rush of guilt. What right had he to take his feelings out on the woman he loved? And they'd started fighting the day after they'd first made love, no less. What she must think of him....

"Good morning," Miranda said. "How was your walk?"

He could hear the hurt in her voice. It didn't matter who her brother was, he loved her. It was time to make it right.

"Lonely," he replied. "I've been thinking."

Miranda looked at the carpet, swallowing the feeling of fear that accompanied his words. "Oh," she said softly.

Jarod couldn't take it any more. He crossed the room in five quick strides and knelt next to her. "Look at me."

She shook her head, afraid that she wouldn't be able to hold back the tears that were threatening to fall.

"Please, Miranda," he pleaded, gently taking her hand. "I want to ask you something and I need you to be looking at me when I do."

She took a deep breath and raised her head.

"Good. I-" Words failed him. "I-"

"Dad-dee," Tommy prompted.

"I love you, Miranda. More than I thought possible. And I'm sorry for acting like a jerk since we got here. I've been really selfish in not thinking about how my...feelings for Lyle have affected you-"

"Jarod-" she began but he held up a hand to silence her.

"Let me finish. I want us to be a family. I shouldn't have expected happiness to come easily. But I love you. And there is nothing in this world or beyond that could change that. So, what I'm asking is this: will you still have me?"

She burst into tears and Jarod frowned. "Did I say something wrong?"

"No, no, it was all right. Jarod...that was beautiful."

"Well, why are you crying? Are you upset?" He was confused.

"Not at all. I'm so happy."

Jarod shook his head. He gave up trying to figure out how her mind worked. "So, you will still have me?" He needed to hear her say the words.

"Just you dare try and leave!" she said, laughing happily.

*

Emily pulled up at a restaurant and looked at Lyle, fast asleep in the seat next to her. She prodded him in the ribs to wake him but he groaned and swatted her hand away.

"Hey, rise and shine, or else you don't get fed."

He opened one eye, mumbled something incoherent and went back to sleep. Emily shrugged and stepped out of the car to stretch her legs.

"This is your last chance, Lyle," she threatened. He didn't stir.

An hour later they were on the road again when Lyle finally decided to wake up. He didn't open his eyes immediately because Emily was singing along to the radio and he was afraid she'd stop if she knew he was awake. She had a lovely voice and he found himself wishing she'd sing more often. Three songs later he was too hungry to wait any longer and made a show of waking up and stretching.

"Hey, welcome to the land of the living," Emily teased.

"Mmm. Is there any food?" he asked hopefully.

"Sorry, but I told you to wake up earlier."

"What? Em! I thought you were kidding!"

She glanced at him, laughing, and winked. "Got you! Check on the backseat."

"Thanks. You shouldn't joke about matters like that, Em," he said playfully. "If I was any hungrier I'd have to eat you."

Emily wondered where along the line he'd started calling her Em. Not that she minded. In fact, she was surprised to discover that she liked it. And his last comment...she felt the heat rising in her face and hoped she wasn't blushing.

"I'll bear that in mind next time," she said, laughing. Let him make of that what he will!

*

"They can't have vanished into thin air!" Mr. Parker roared at Cox.

"We're doing the best we can to find them," Cox replied, remaining calm.

"Well, your best isn't good enough!"

"I'm sorry, Mr. Parker, but if they don't want to be found then it's highly unlikely that they're going to be found. Both Jarod and your daughter are Pretenders and have the ability to blend in-"

Mr. Parker had had enough. He grabbed Cox by his lapels and spoke very slowly. "They can't hide forever. When they slip up, I want us to be ready."

"Understood, sir. Is there anything else?"

The chairman shook his head and dismissed Cox. He wanted to be alone. He hadn't been feeling well lately but had attributed it to the stress he'd been under from the Trimvirate and had put off seeing a doctor. So when he felt a stabbing pain in his left arm and felt short of breath, he ignored it. He moved to the window, thinking that maybe the fresh air would help.

Too late, he realized that it was serious and reached for his phone. He collapsed, the receiver in his hand as he fell to the ground. Had he seen a doctor earlier, he would have found out about his dangerously high cholestrol level in time to prevent the heart attack. As it was, he died on the floor of his office, in the heart of the corporation that had stolen his soul.

Alone.

It was only the next morning when Cox came to check in that his body was found and by then it was far too late. Cox reached into his pocket and pulled out his cell phone, dialing a number that he'd long ago committed to memory.

"It's time," he said.

*

"I don't care what you say, Lyle, I drive better than you do," Emily said.

"I disagree. It's a proven fact that women can't drive," Lyle teased.

Emily's jaw muscles tensed as she retorted, "Proven by whom? Some male chauvinist pig who-"

"Hey! I was kidding!"

"We'll see what your sister has to say."

"No! Not the wrath of Parker!" he laughed.

"Why do you call her that?" Emily asked.

"Habit. I'm not used to calling her by her first name."

"Oh."

"We should get there sometime tomorrow," Lyle said with a mixture of excitement and trepidation in his voice.

"Why do you sound so worried?"

"Because your brother's probably going to kill me."

"Aww, don't worry, Lylie, I'll protect you."

"Lylie?"

Emily laughed. "Sorry, I couldn't resist. You just sound so sorry for yourself."

He couldn't hold back his own laughter. "Well, as long as I've got you to protect me!"

"I'm glad I found you," Emily said, suddenly serious. Then, aware of how that sounded, she hurried on. "I mean, I'm glad you decided to eat at my diner...you know, that we...." She trailed off, not making things better.

"I know what you mean," Lyle said and carefully covered her hand with his.

Her heart pounding, she was unable to break away from his gaze. Something unseen passed between them.

Uh oh, Emily thought. I'm in trouble.

Uh oh, Lyle thought. I'm in trouble.

Just then their waitress arrived with their food and they busied themselves with eating, each desperately wanting to say something but unable to think of anything to say.

Jarod's definitely going to kill me now, Lyle thought misreably. I've fallen for his sister. Who is also the half-sister of my half-brother. Isn't that almost incest? What about our children- Whoa! Children?

Emily studied her plate as she picked at her food. This is awkward. Now what? What's wrong with me? He tried to kill me and now I want him to kiss me! Nonono! Focus on other things. Think about...wow, he has nice lips. Argh! No, Em, be strong!

"Uh, how's your food?" Lyle asked, then mentally kicked himself. Don't ask stupid questions!

"Good." Gee, Em, great answer there.

"Good." Great. Now you can't get past one syllable.

"Uh, how's yours?" Oh, that was original. Ask something intelligent, please! You don't want him to leave you here.

"It's good." Argh! Idiot, idiot, idiot!

Emily took a deep breath. "So, uh, how many hearts did you break when you left Delaware?"

"None. It's hard to keep a relationship going when you work for the Centre."

"Oh, right."

"How about you? I bet you've got a whole string of guys pining for you."

She shook her head and grinned. "It's hard to keep a relationship going when you're on the run."

"Yeah, I guess." He laughed. "But Bonnie and Clyde did it."

"They died," she reminded him.

"Oh, yeah...but what about Jarod and Miranda? They're doing okay."

"I guess."

They lapsed into silence again, but this time the tension was gone. And after they'd paid the bill and Lyle put his arm through hers as they strolled back to the car, she didn't pull away. And when her hand accidentally brushed his when they both reached for the door handle of the driver's side, he didn't jerk his hand away.

And when she graciously held out the car keys for him to take, he gave in to his heart and pulled her towards him. She tilted her head upwards and his mouth descended on hers.

When he pulled away he gently cupped her face in his eyes and searched for any sign of regret in her expression.

"I'm not sorry," she said. "Are you?"

Mute, he shook his head. She let me kiss her! Woo hoo! Lyle was acutely aware that he'd never felt this way before. Being with her made him feel good about himself in a way he'd never felt before. Of course, there had been other women in his life, but Emily was special. He was awed at the fact that despite everything he'd done - especially to her - she'd still let him kiss her. What was even more amazing was that she was still in his arms.

"You're amazing, you know that?"

She blushed, which only endeared her to him more.

"You're so beautiful."

"Lyle-"

He kissed her again.

"Well, Clyde," she said, a long while later, "what do you say we get back on the road?"

"For you, Bonnie, anything."

*

"So when's the baby coming? Can we come visit? California's so cool but I miss home sometimes. How's Tommy? Can he walk yet? And what about-"

Miranda laughed. "Slow down, Debbie. One question at a time."

"Oh, okay. When can we visit?"

Miranda shifted the phone to her other ear and picked up a jar of pickles, twisting the lid off. "Well, we've just moved in so we've still got a lot to do."

"Like what?"

"Ohhh, painting and some tiling. I want to do a room for Sara. And the garden-"

"When are you gonna have Sara?"

"Not for a couple of months still."

"Oh, but are you fat yet?"

Miranda could hear Broots reprimand his daughter on the other end and laughed. "No, I'm not fat yet."

"Daddy has a girlfriend," Debbie giggled and Miranda heard Broots in the background again.

"That's great. Look, Debbie, I have to go now but I'll call you again real soon,okay? And then I'll talk to your dad about when you can come visit."

"Okay. Miss P- I mean, Miranda, when are you gonna marry Uncle Jarod?"

"I don't know, Debbie. Why do you ask?"

"I dunno. Do you love him?"

Miranda smiled. "Yes. Yes, I do."

"So why don't you marry him?"

That's a really good question, Debbie. "I don't know. It's...complicated."

"What's that?"

"Not easy to explain." Miranda was starting to feel uncomfortable with all the questions. "I really have to go."

"'Kay, bye."

"Bye." She hung up but remained seated on the floor, munching on pickles. Debbie had raised a valid point. Why hadn't she and Jarod discussed marriage? They were going to be a family so the logical thing to do would be to get married, right?

So why hadn’t he asked?

*

Miranda sat on the kitchen counter eating peanut butter with a spoon. The jar had been unopened when she’d come hunting for something to snack on and it was now only half-full. She wondered where Jarod and Tommy were but was too content sitting in the sunlight to go and look for them. She swung her legs up and stretched them. Feeling her muscles pull she decided that it was time for her to start exercising again. There was no point in getting out of shape just because she was pregnant, she reasoned. She also wanted to do something to keep busy until Sara was born and wondered what the town offered. Jarod had found a post as a doctor at the clinic and she supposed that although she would love to stay at home with Tommy instead of enrolling him in a playschool, she knew how prone she was to cabin fever and didn’t want to get bored. Just look at what happened to Jack Nicholson in The Shining, she thought.

*

"I’m nervous," Lyle confessed.

"Just relax. Your sister won’t let anything happen."

"But-"

"Lyle!"

He took a deep breath. "Maybe we shouldn’t tell them we’re, uh, we’re-"

"Involved," Emily supplied.

"Yeah, that. Maybe we shouldn’t tell them straight away."

"Okay."

"I just think we should wait until Jarod’s, you know, used to the idea of me being around," Lyle continued.

"Hey," Emily said softly. "Have you always been this terrified of Jarod? No wonder you couldn’t catch him."

"Hey, I’ll have you know-" he began, then stopped, laughing at himself. "I’m being stupid,aren’t I?"

"Yes. Here, have a kiss for luck." She kissed him. "Now let’s go."

They drove the last mile to Jarod and Miranda’s house in silence. When they arrived, they walked side by side to the front door and Emily squeezed his hand before ringing the doorbell.

Still in the kitchen, Miranda heard the doorbell and sighed. Jarod had just left, taking Tommy to the store to buy more Pop Tarts – Miranda had denied eating them but they both knew she was lying – and peanut butter. She hopped off the counter and walked to the front door. Not bothering to look through the eye hole, she opened the door and came face to face with her brother.

"Lyle!" Still holding the peanut butter, she flung her arms around him.

Lyle relaxed. This was a thousand times better than the welcome he’d been preparing himself for. "Hey, Sis."

"You must be Emily." She turned to greet the other woman. "I’m Miranda."

"Hi."

"Come inside." Miranda led them to the living room. "Can I get you anything?"

They both declined, but Lyle commented on the almost empty jar of peanut butter.

"I’m hungry," Miranda said, defensive.

"Uh, where’s Jarod?" Emily asked, impatient to see her brother.

"Oh, he took Tommy to the store. They’ll be back any minute. Lyle, you don’t look too good. Are you sure I can’t get you anything?"

"I’m fine," he lied.

"So, what have you two been up to?" Miranda asked, not noticing the guilty look exchanged by Emily and Lyle. "How was your trip?"

"Umm, fine."

"Okay."

"Sounds exciting," Miranda said sarcastically.

They heard the front door open and Jarod called out, "Honey! I’m home!"

"He’s just discovered ‘Dinosaurs’," Miranda whispered conspiratorially. "He says he bought the tapes for Tommy but he watches them more. In here!" she called.

"You’ll never guess-" Jarod said walking into the room. He stopped dead when he saw the newcomers.

"Lyle," he growled.

~*~