Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: Yada, yada, yada…we all know who they belong to. I wish it was me ('cuz I'd be rich & it'd still be on the air) but sadly they belong to Craig & Steve who don't love them nearly as much as they should. This is a labor of love & that means I didn't get paid, so please don't sue me.


Mommy's Boy


Miss Parker leaned back in her office chair and closed her eyes to shut out the light. Her hand automatically opened the top right hand drawer and pulled out a bottle of vodka. She didn't even bother with a glass, instead taking a swig directly from the bottle.

"You shouldn't do that," Sydney said from his position on the couch. "It's not good for your ulcer."

"Tell me something I don't know."

"Does Jarod know…everything?" he asked carefully, aware of the hidden eyes and ears.

She shook her head. "He knows what he needed to know."

"You'll never see him again."

There was a long moment of silence while Parker pretended to study the label on the bottle. "I know," she whispered eventually.

*

2 days earlier

Broots stared wide-eyed at his computer screen, opening his mouth to say something and then closing it again when he realized he had nothing to say.

"What, Broots? Found a program you can't hack your way into?" Parker asked from across the room.

"M-M-Miss Parker, I-I think you'd better see this."

She sauntered over to him and deliberately leaned over his shoulder. He blinked and swallowed hard, visibly affected by her proximity. This was the stuff his fantasies were made of.

"Baby Parker…my brother. Broots, I need you to decrypt the rest of this file," she ordered.

"Y-Yes, Miss Parker," he stammered.

An hour later Parker's attention was caught by Broots' whispered "Oh no!"

"What is it?" she demanded.

"This is not good…I can't believe they did this!"

"Broots-"

"Your brother…Baby Parker…is not your brother. He-He-He's your son!"

For once in Parker's life, words failed her. She sat down, trying to understand. Broots stared at her, equally dumbfounded.

"Who's the father?" Sydney asked, ever the voice of reason.

Parker looked up at Broots, the expression on his face giving him away.

"Oh, great," Parker said sarcastically. "Wonderboy and I have a kid. As if our families weren't dysfunctional enough on their own, they had to bring them together! Who ordered this?"

Broots looked down and the horrible truth quickly dawned on Parker. "My father?" she asked incredulously. "This was my father's idea?"

He nodded.

Parker left the room, heading for the nursery where Baby Parker was kept. She couldn't believe it. She had a child. She had a child with Jarod. She had delivered her own child and handed it to the Centre. This ends now, she decided.

*

"This better not be a trap, Miss Parker," Jarod said from the shadows.

"It's not," she said as she looked around, trying to gauge which direction his voice had come from.

He slipped soundlessly from the airvent above her, giving her a fright. "What's wrong? Angelo said it was important."

"Don't hate me more than you already do."

"What? I don-"

She put a finger to his lips, shushing him, and led him to the couch where Baby Parker lay peacefully.

"Who's this?"

Parker took a deep breath. "Your son. Now take him and go."

"What- How- I-"

"No questions, just leave. Now."

Jarod stared at the sleeping child and then looked back at Parker. "I don't understand why you're doing this."

"Because he deserves more than we had."

Jarod pulled her into a hug and reverently kissed the top of her head. "Thank you, Miranda."

She didn't rebuke him for the use of the forbidden name, but held him tighter. The sound of footsteps in the hallway forced them to break apart.

"Who is his mother?"

Parker looked at the ground, trying to keep her composure. "She didn't make it."

Jarod took the child and was about to climb back into the vent when he suddenly turned back. "Come with me."

She shook her head sadly, thinking of Sydney and Broots and Angelo. He nodded in understanding. "Could you call him Tommy?" she asked softly.

He nodded. "Goodbye, Parker."

"Look after him for me."

He smiled one last time, and then vanished. Parker felt her heart breaking.

*

One month later

Parker opened the envelope that bore Jarod's familiar handwriting, butterflies in her stomach. She pulled out a photograph of Jarod and baby Tommy, both looking happier than she'd ever seen them. Smiling sadly, she traced the outline of Tommy's face and winced in pain as her ulcer flared up again.

"I miss you," she mouthed silently. "I miss you both."

*

Jarod was unpacking the groceries in his kitchen when he suddenly realized that Tommy had grown very silent. Wandering into the living room to investigate, he found Tommy staring at a picture of Parker.

"Hey, what you got there?"

Bright beyond his age, Tommy held out the picture.

"That's Parker," Jarod said. "Do you remember her?"

"Mama," Tommy said.

Jarod's first instinct was to correct him but he looked at Tommy's eyes and the expression in his face, and knew the truth.

***