Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: I don’t own ‘em, I’m just playing with them & letting them do what they should have been allowed to do in the series. I’m not making any money & no infringement is intended,

The Baby Series
Something To Be Said For Coincidence
Melanie-Anne



Lyle walked slowly back to the motel. He unlocked the door and was about to step into his room when he felt something poking into his back.

Something that felt a lot like a gun.

Raising his hands slowly he asked, "What do you want?"

"Get inside," a woman ordered.

Lyle smiled. A woman would be much easier to disarm than a man, unless the woman was anything like his sister. He wondered what her build was and if he could tackle her before she could get off a shot. He stepped forward and heard the door click shut behind him.

"Are you Mr. Lyle?" the woman asked.

He nodded, hoping she wasn’t a Centre agent.

"Good. Where’s my brother?"

"Look," Lyle said crossly, "how am I supposed to know?"

"Wrong answer!" She punched him in the back, hitting a kidney. He fell to his knees, groaning. This wasn’t going exactly as he’d hoped.

"Okay. Who’s your brother?" He decided to play along for a while. Perhaps when she was paying less attention he could make his move.

"Does the name Jarod ring any bells?"

Lyle’s mouth fell open in delighted surprise. "Emily?" he asked. "You’re Emily?"

"Where is he?" she asked instead of answering.

"Look, let me get up. Can we have a normal conversation?"

"My father hasn’t heard from him in months. Is he back at the Centre?"

"Just hear me out, okay? I’m going to stand up and turn around," he said as he slowly got to his feet. He turned around and started laughing. "You held me up with that?" he asked incredulously.

She held the metal pipe up in defense, backing towards the door.

"I’m not going to hurt you!"

"Why should I have any reason to trust you? You killed my brother!"

Lyle sat on the bed. "I’m sorry," he said sincerely. "I’m really sorry."

She stared at him silently, her heart pounding.

"I can take you to Jarod," Lyle said.

Emily frowned, still not believing him. With a sigh, Lyle began his explanation of the past few months.

*

Sometime in the night Miranda woke up. She looked at the man whose arms she slept in. She had never been so content. She snuggled against him, enjoying the feel of his chest against her back. She placed a hand on her belly, thinking about the life that grew inside her, and smiled.

It had been everything she had ever dreamed it would be and more.

"I love you," she whispered, finally brave enough to say the words out loud, even if Jarod was asleep and couldn’t hear her. She liked how it sounded and said it again.

"Love you, too," Jarod mumbled into her hair and tightened his hold on her. "You ‘n Tommy ‘n Sara."

Miranda felt a warmth spreading throughout her body, from her toes right to the hairs on her head. We’re a family, she thought happily. A real family.

*

Emily stood near the door as Lyle’s tale unfolded. She regarded him with suspicion throughout, not taking her eyes off him once. She didn’t trust him and he didn’t blame her.

"So you all just left the Centre?" she scoffed.

"In a manner of speaking. It was more like we ran as fast as we could."

"Don’t try to be funny!"

Lyle sighed and reached into his pcket. "I’m just getting my phone," he assured as a look of worry crossed Emily’s face. He dialed Miranda’s number and listened to it ring.

"Who are you calling?" Emily asked nervously.

"My sister."

"I won’t let you take me in!" she cried, full of false bravado.

"Relax, will you?"

On the other sde Miranda groaned, still in Jarod’s arms. She fumbled for her phone and mumbled a greeting.

"Did I wake you?" Lyle asked.

"Mmm."

"Sorry. Look, is Jarod around? There’s someone here who I think needs to speak to him."

"Who?"

"His sister."

Instantly awake, Miranda sat up. "Oh. Hold on. Jarod? Love, wake up."

Lyle’s eyes widened. "Love? Did you just call him ‘love’?"

"Oh, shut up! Here he is."

"Hello?" Jarod asked, half-asleep.

"I have a surprise for you."

A second later, Emily spoke. "Jarod?"

"Who’s this?"

"It’s...it’s Emily. Your sister," she said hesitantly. "Is it really you?"

"Emily!" Jarod was now also wide awake. "I can’t believe it! I want to see you! When can I see you?"

Emily smiled at Lyle, her joy transparent. She moved off to a corner of the room to speak to her brother in private. Lyle studied her from afar. Her resemblance to Jarod was obvious. He wondered if she was a Pretender too. Probably.

A long while later she hung up and returned the phone to Lyle, having the grace to look ashamed. "Thank you. I’m sorry I didn’t believe you."

"That’s okay."

"And I’m sorry I hit you."

"That’s also okay. How did you find me anyway?"

"Pure luck. I was working at the diner you ate at and I followed you back here."

Lyle nodded. There was something to be said for coincidence.

"So, uh, Jarod says they’re on their way to Maine."

"So am I. Would you, uh, would you like to come with me?"

Emily was about to say yes when she suddenly remembered how it was that she knew Lyle. Backing away from him, she tripped and fell to the floor.

"What? What did I do now?" He made to help her up but she scrambled backwards.

"You tried to kill me! You threw me out of a window!"

Lyle froze. He’d been given orders to kill a woman but he hadn’t been told who she was. Had he known at the time it probably wouldn’t have made a difference, but it did now.

"That was you?"

She nodded.

Lyle sighed. "I’m sorry." Even as he said the words, he knew they sounded trite. There was so much he had to make up to this family, how had he ever thought it would be possible for them to like him? "I’ve...I’ve changed," he said lamely.

She glared up at him. "Really? Well, forgive me if I don’t trust the word of a murderer!"

"Ask Jarod."

A horrible though suddenly occured to Emily. What if the Centre had turned Jarod? She felt ill.

And then she looked in Lyle’s eyes and saw that he was speaking the truth. Whatever he had done in the past, whatever crimes he had committed, whoever he had hurt – he was sorry for all of that. He regretted it. Something or someone – his sister, probably – had touched something inside him and made him realize that there was more to life than working for the Centre.

Emily slowly got to her feet. "I’ll come with you to Maine," she said.

*

Jarod was too excited to get back to sleep. "I’m going to see Emily!"

Miranda smiled indulgently. "I know. Lie down."

"I thought I’d lost her completely! Do you think she knows where my family is?"

"Probably." Miranda yawned.

"I can’t wait to see her."

"Jarod-"

"She’s excited to meet Tommy too!"

"Jar-"

"I wonder how she’s getting on with Lyle?"

"Jarod!"

"Mmm?"

"Shut up!"

*

The next morning Lyle picked Emily up at the diner. She’d refused to tell him where she’d been staying just in case she changed her mind about trusting him. She didn’t really believe that Jarod would lie to her. Nevertheless, she was relieved when Lyle pulled up alone.

"Morning," he said, helping her pack her things in the trunk.

"Morning," she replied tersely.

Lyle guessed, quite correctly, that she wasn’t much of a morning person and grinned, thinking to himself that perhaps she had more in common with Miranda than anyone thought. They drove in silence for about an hour, neither one feeling too comfortable with the other. Emily still wasn’t sure whether she could trust Lyle and she could only pray he was telling the truth.

They stopped for breakfast at a diner that didn’t look too dingy. Emily couldn’t help laughing at the expression on Lyle’s face as the waitress placed his food on the table.

"We’re actually expected to eat this?"

"It’s what you ordered," she reminded him.

"Yeah, but look at it. It’s practically swimming in grease."

She raised an eyebrow, taking a sip of her coffee. Trying not to pull too much of a face, she managed to swallow it. Now Lyle was amused but wisely held his tongue.

The ice between them slowly beginning to melt, Lyle paid the bill and they continued on their journey.

*

Miranda woke to Jarod’s kisses. She stretched languidly and gave him a sleepy smile.

"Hello...my...sleeping...beauty," he said, each word punctuated with a kiss.

"It’s too early to wake up," she protested and rolled over.

"No, wake up. Tommy and I are hungry."

She groaned and pulled the covers over her head. The thought of food made her feel ill.

"Pleeeeease," Jarod whined, poking her in the ribs.

She sat up, scowling.

"So, where shall we have breakfast?" he asked.

Miranda hopped out of bed and ran to the bathroom, kneeling in front of the toilet bowl. Jarod ambled in after her.

"What's wrong?"

"If you value your life, I suggest you get out of here NOW!"

"But- Are you sick? Can I get you anything?" He was concerned.

"It's called morning sickness Wonderboy. Now. Get. Out!"

Eyes widening in understanding, he returned to the bedroom.

"Dada! Up!" Tommy said, raising his arms to be picked up.

"Hey, morning, kiddo. Did you sleep well? Mommy's not in a good mood this morning so we'd better behave, okay?"

"Uh-huh." Tommy nodded.

Jarod heard the toilet flushing and then the sound of tap water running. A moment later Miranda entered the room and crawled back into bed.

"Umm, are you okay?" Jarod asked.

"Fine," came the muffled response from beneath the covers.

Jarod looked back at Tommy and shrugged. Tommy grinned at him. Jarod waggled his eyebrows and Tommy started giggling.

"Hey, are you laughing at me? Are you laughing at me?" Jarod started tickling Tommy.

"Jarod." Miranda sat up and gave him a pleading look. He smiled in apology and crawled into bed next to her.

"We'll be quiet, I promise."

Tommy giggled again and Miranda gave up.

"Okay, fine. I'm awake."

"Good, because someone can't wait to meet his Aunt Emily."

"Uh-oh," Miranda said softly.

"What? What is it?"

"Do you remember when Emily was injured? When she was thrown from the window?" she asked.

"Yeah, why?"

"Because it was- Well, Lyle had been ordered to kill her."

Jarod was silent for the three seconds it took for Miranda's words to sink in. "He- He tried to kill her?"

"Jarod, I'm sorry-"

"Look, Parker, I know he's your brother but when I see him-"

"Jarod! It was a long time ago!" she said, and all she could think was, he called me Parker!

"I think I need some fresh air." Jarod stood and pulled on a pair of jeans and a long-sleeve sweater. He didn't even bother to tie his shoelaces before leaving.

"Oh, Tommy, what am I going to do now?" Miranda asked, hugging her child. I hope your Daddy doesn't change his mind about us.

*

Sometime in the afternoon Lyle glanced at Emily and noticed that she'd fallen asleep. He smiled, relieved that she'd relaxed enough to rest; she'd obviously realized that he wasn't planning on killing her again. Wondering if she'd managed to get any sleep the night before, he took advantage of this time to study her again. She was pretty. He wondered why he hadn't noticed it before. Not his usual taste, but he liked her nonetheless. There was something about her that appealed to him. And he had to admire her gutsiness - how many women would hold up someone with a metal pipe?

No, she was certainly brave, he had to give her that. He remembered the day he'd pushed her from the window. At the time he'd really believed that he was doing it for the good of the Centre. He'd have done it a thousand times if he'd been directed to.

What a fool he'd been. How could he have ever thought that the Centre was the best place for him? He wasn't even sure when his attitude had begun to change - when he'd begun to change - but he did know that his sister was responsible for it.

Miranda.

He hadn't even known that was her name until a week ago. He'd always wondered, of course, but he'd never been able to find out on his own. He envied her for having known their mother and hoped she would tell him about her.

And then there was their brother, Ethan, whom he had yet to meet. Miranda had told him that after the subway explosion Ethan had gone to stay with Major Charles. It was as if they had disappeared into thin air. Jarod had no idea where they were either, and Lyle hoped that Emily would be able to help.

He wondered what Jarod would think when he found out that Lyle had tried to kill another of his siblings. He didn't think it boded well for him.

*

Miranda and Jarod arrived at their destination shortly before nightfall. Jarod had maintained a stony silence since he'd returned from his walk and as a result, Miranda was in a foul mood. Even Tommy was unnaturally subdued, as if his parents' moods were rubbing off on him.

"Well, this is our house," Jarod said, pulling up outside a facebrick double-story house.

"It's big," Miranda said.

"Yeah, well, lots of space for Tommy and Sara."

Just Tommy and Sara? Talk to me, Jarod! "Mmm, I guess."

"Why don't you guys get settled? I'll go buy dinner," Jarod suggested.

"Sure, that's a good idea."

"Great."

Miranda carried Tommy inside and took a look around the house.

"Mama not happy," Tommy said.

"No, honey, I'm not. But I'll be okay."

"Dada mad."

"Yeah. Hopefully not at me."

"No. Dada love you," Tommy insisted.

"I hope so." Miranda sighed.

"I love you."

Miranda was floored. He'd never said it to either her or Jarod before. His words cheered her up considerably, she couldn't help it. Now she really felt like a mother.

"I know. I love you too."

And she suddenly knew that things would be okay. She knew it with a certainty that she couldn't explain or define but it was like a load had been lifted from her shoulders. Things would be fine as long as she had her family, as long as she had her children, and she wondered if this was how her mother had felt. Had Catherine found the strength to keep fighting from her daughter? A lot of things suddenly made sense and Miranda let go of a lot of anger at Catherine that she hadn't even realized she'd been harbouring.

I wish you could see me now,Mama. Would you be proud of me? I miss you so much.

***