Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: The characters of the Pretender don't belong to me. No infringement is intended & I'm not making any money from this.
A/N: Thanks to Nancy & Rose *hugs* For those interested, my title comes from a poem by William Wordsworth: "She was a phantom of delight, When first she gleamed upon my sight; A lovely apparition… And yet a spirit still and bright, With something of an angel light."


The Baby Series
Something Of An Angel Light
Melanie-Anne


Day 80

Listening to yet another witness give his testimony, Miranda was struck by a sharp pain in her stomach. She grabbed Jarod's hand and looked at him, her eyes wide. He frowned.

The contraction came again and she squeezed his hand hard.

"It's too early," he mouthed.

"Clearly not!" she hissed.

Jarod helped her up and out of the room, smiling apologetically at the judge for the disruption. They arrived at the hospital only to be sent home a short while later.

"Braxton-Hicks," the doctor said. "It's just your body getting ready for the real thing."

Miranda was not impressed. Her due date was not for another three weeks and she was certainly not looking forward to more false alarms. It could have been worse, she told herself. My water could have broken right there in the courtroom.

Wary of her mood swings, Jarod played it safe and took her for coffee on the way back, reasoning that one cup wouldn't hurt.

Day 83

"Mr. Mutambo, you've heard the testimonies of these people. Testimonies against the Centre, controlled by the Triumvirate of which you are a part. Can you deny any of these allegations?"

Mutambo returned Ella's stare and there was a long silence.

"Answer the question," Judge Klavan ordered.

Mutambo leaned insolently back in the chair. "I have nothing to say."

Ella calmly walked back to her table and picked up a folder, handing it to Judge Klavan.

"In here," she said, "you will find reports of transactions between the Centre and the Soviet bloc during the Cold War; transactions of sales of simulations done by Pretenders and used against this country."

She handed the judge another folder.

"This one contains records of transactions between the Centre and Iraq, dating from the Gulf War until the beginning of this year."

She turned to the jury. "All these transactions were authorized by one of the three members of the Triumvirate. And they are all acts of treason."

Mutambo looked smugly at Jarod and Miranda, as if he really believed that he would get off.

Day 85

It was finally time for closing arguments. Lynn spoke for half an hour, eloquently recounting the past eighty-four days' worth of testimonies.

Miranda smiled happily at Jarod, glad that it was almost over. Behind them, Emily and Ethan sat. Emily was also happy, but for different reasons. She missed James.

The jurors seemed relieved that the trial was almost over. They had been sequestered for its duration and they all wanted to get back to their normal lives.

Henderson's closing speech was considerably shorter. He emphasized the point that the Centre had started out as a research facility with the intention of helping people. He mentioned that the years of research need not go to waste.

The jurors barely listened. Henderson's feeling that he was fighting a losing battle early on in the trial had been correct.

Day 86

There was no doubt in anyone's mind that the members of the Triumvirate would be found guilty. Still, once the words were said they would all be much happier.

James rose to his feet nervously when his name was called. When the jury ruled Raines' murder an act of self-defense, he smiled. He joined his family, hugging first Miranda, then Emily. When he sat down Tommy insisted on sitting on his lap and proudly showed his 'Unca Jay' his new tooth.

All three members of the Triumvirate were found guilty of murder, the violation of human rights and treason as well as the lesser charges of fraud and kidnapping. They were sentenced to death by lethal injection. Hearing the sentences passed, Miranda had the particularly uncharitable thought that it was a pity you could only die once.

The Centre's assets had been frozen when the FBI had arrested the Triumvirate. Now they were to be liquidated and the money was to be given to the families of the victims, as well as to the victims who had survived.

Leaving the courtroom, everyone was surrounded by reporters but Jarod managed to fight their way to the car with a few 'No comments.' Now that it was over, they just wanted to get on with the rest of their lives.

*

Two days after the trial finished, everyone returned to Maine. From there, Sydney and Broots went back down to Delaware. Sydney had been invited to head up the new Centre, one that would focus solely on research. The Centre had always had the potential to use its research for the good of society and the government hoped to put the facilities to good use.

There were also many people to whom the Centre had been a home, people who had been left with nothing when the Triumvirate fell. People like Angelo.

Angelo had been lucky though. He had people who cared for him. The other victims had been sent to a hospice until everything was resolved. While some families had come forward to claim lost loved ones, most were left alone. Sydney thought that there was a great possibility that they would never be reunited with their families. It was for this reason that he had agreed; so that they could return to the only 'home' they had ever known.

Angelo also returned with Sydney. When they began searching for his parents, it was to discover that they had been killed in a car accident three years after Timmy's disappearance.

Broots intended to search the Internet and, using what was left on the Centre's mainframe, track down the relatives of those who had returned to the Centre.

Keeping things legal, instead of a Triumvirate there would be a board of directors. Charles had agreed to serve on the board, as had Jarod and Miranda. They wanted their involvement to be minimal, choosing to focus on raising their family.

James traveled to Delaware a week later, Emily in tow. He wanted to be involved as well, hoping that it would go some way towards atoning for his past sins.

Two weeks after the trial was over, Miranda calmly woke Jarod in the middle of the night and informed him that her water had broken. He called Margaret, asking her to come over to look after Tommy.

Five hours later, Sara Michaela Scott made her entrance into the world. Jarod held Miranda's hand the entire time, stroking her forehead. When Sara was placed in his arms, he was so overcome with emotion that he couldn't speak. He looked at Miranda, an enormous smile on his face. Miranda propped herself up on her elbows and demanded to see her child.

By the time visiting hours had arrived, the entire family was gathered in the waiting room. Those working at the Centre had taken a break to fly back to Maine. Tommy was curious, climbing up onto his mother's bed so that he could have a better view.

"I'm the baby," he insisted when he finally saw his sister.

Miranda pulled him onto her lap with her free arm. "Don't you want to be Mommy's big boy?" she asked.

Tommy frowned, seriously considering the question. Then he nodded and smiled, tenderly stroking his sister's cheek. "Sara," he pronounced solemnly.

Ethan was besotted. He didn't think he'd ever seen anything so small. He finally relinquished his hold on Sara to Margaret when Emily pulled out her camera.

When the nurse finally ordered all the visitors out of the room, grumbling crossly that the sign clearly stated no more than two visitors at a time, Angelo hung back. He took Miranda's hand in his and leaned closer.

"Sara special."

"In what way?" Miranda couldn't help asking.

"Will bring much joy," Angelo said with a smile, then left.

Jarod returned and sat on the edge of the bed. "She's beautiful. A little angel."

Miranda nodded.

"Just like her mother," he continued.

She smiled and he leaned forward to kiss her.

"So what now? Are we going back to Delaware?"

"Nah." Miranda shook her head. "I think… I think I want to enjoy being a mommy for a while."

Jarod smiled, tracing his daughter's features with his fingertips. "That sounds like a great idea."

"Yeah, well, I was always the smart one," she laughed.

Jarod shifted so that he could lie next to her. When the nurse returned ten minutes later, she didn't have it in her heart to disturb them. Jarod and Miranda were asleep; Sara nestled safely in her mother's arms. The nurse dimmed the light, then left as quietly as she had come.

*