Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: The characters of the Pretender don't belong to me. No infringement is intended & I'm not making any money from this. Also, I stole a line from the X-Files season 6 episode 'Deux A Folie'. Oh, and I took some creative license with the wedding vows (hey, I've been to like 2 weddings ever and besides, I don't think that they'd go for the conventional stuff.)
A/N: This is shorter than the last one but I didn't want to bring anything else into this moment. Don't worry, the next one will be longer! J


The Baby Series
With This Ring
Melanie-Anne



2 weeks later

Miranda pinned up the last stray tendril of hair and turned away from the mirror to face Emily.

"How do I look?" she asked.

"Like a princess," Emily replied wistfully.

"You're sure I don't look fat in this dress?"

"No. You can hardly see you're pregnant." Emily spoke the truth. Miranda had chosen a dress that drew attention away from her growing belly.

"Okay. Well, I'm ready, I guess."

"Shall we go?"

Miranda nodded and followed Emily down the stairs. Emily wore a pale yellow bridesmaid's dress. It suited her well and Miranda felt a momentary twinge of jealousy because she was supposed to be the most beautiful woman at the church today. Her wedding dress was white, an issue she'd disputed with Jarod, arguing that technically she wasn't allowed to wear white as they were already sleeping together. He'd won when he asked her what color she'd always envisioned for her wedding dress and she'd answered with a muttered, "White."

James stood at the foot of the stairs, an enormous smile plastered across his face.

"Wow, Sis. You look beautiful."

Ten minutes later they arrived at the small chapel where the ceremony was to take place. Again, this had been a point of contention for the couple. Jarod had wanted to know why she wanted a small venue; she had said that there weren't going to be a lot of guests so a huge church was unnecessary. That round went to her.

Miranda took a deep breath and clung to her brother's arm. The notes of the wedding march echoed through to where they stood. Emily walked down the aisle first, smiling at Jarod who stood next to his best man, Ethan. He was fidgeting nervously and gave his sister a half-smile before his attention was drawn to the back of the room. Miranda and James had just entered. In no time at all they reached the altar.

"Dearly beloved," the priest intoned, "we are gathered here today to celebrate the union of this man and this woman in the eyes of God. Not one of us who is here today and who knows their story can deny that it has been a day long in coming, but one that was not entirely unexpected." He nodded at Jarod to begin.

"Andi, I have loved you almost all my life. From that day we first met all those years ago, and every day since, you have had my heart. I spent four years running from you" – this earned a laugh from the crowd – "and then I ended up right back where I started. The very place that tried so hard to keep us apart was what brought us together. You are my life, Miranda. And today I am the happiest man in the world."

Miranda had initially been apprehensive about the idea when Jarod had suggested they write their own vows, but now she was falling in love with him all over again. She smiled.

"There are times in a person's life when one has to let go and listen to your heart. If I had done that when I should have, we would have been here four years ago. You're my one in five billion, Jarod, and I am unbelievably blessed to have you in my life."

Margaret had tears in her eyes. As young women, she and Catherine had often joked that their children would marry each other but later events had made them think that their dream was just that; a dream. Yet here they were.

The priest smiled. "Do you, Jarod Michael Scott, take this woman to be your lawfully wedded wife, to have and to hold, in sickness and in health, for better or for worse, for richer or for poorer, till death do you part?"

"I do," Jarod answered immediately and slipped the ring onto Miranda's finger.

"And do you, Miranda Catherine Parker, take this man to be your lawfully wedded husband, to have and to hold, in sickness and in health, for better or for worse, for richer or for poorer, till death do you part?"

She smiled and took the ring from Ethan. "I do."

"Then if there is anyone here today who knows of any reason why these two should not be joined in holy matrimony, may they speak now or forever hold their peace."

The chapel was silent.

"Then I pronounce you man and wife. You may kiss the bride."

"It's a pity we're in a church," Jarod whispered as he pulled his wife towards him and tenderly kissed her lips.

"Patience is clearly not your strongest virtue," she whispered back.

The guests filed out while Jarod and Miranda signed the register. Expecting confetti when they walked out, they were delighted to see everyone blowing bubbles.

The reception, an equally small affair consisting of family and a few of Jarod's work acquaintances, was held in the church hall. Halfway through the newlyweds' first dance, Tommy decided that they'd been the centre of attention for long enough. He started bawling. Unfazed, his parents swooped him up and continued dancing. He stopped crying immediately.

After the toasts and speeches were over and done with, Ben Miller approached Miranda, asking for the honor of a dance. She readily agreed and Jarod and Tommy watched her dance with the man her mother had loved. Emily and James were dancing off to one side, trying to be inconspicuous. Angelo sat at a table with Debbie and seemed to be listening intently to whatever she was saying. He looked up and grinned when he felt Jarod's gaze on him. Broots and his new girlfriend were talking to Sydney and Michelle. JJ was discussing the finer points of basketball with Nicholas and demonstrating some of the moves. Ethan and Argyle hovered near the punch, their guilty expressions giving away the fact that they had spiked it. Charles and Margaret were at a table, watching everyone in very much the same way Jarod was. They smiled at him and he picked up Tommy, walking over to join them.

"You know, son," Charles said, "I never thought the day would actually come where we would see you married to a wonderful woman, with a beautiful baby boy and a little girl on the way."

"I take you approve of my wife then," Jarod said, smiling. He could have used her name, but he liked the sound of 'my wife.'

"I can see that you love her and that she makes you happy. Now tell me, what's happening over there with Emily and Lyle?"

Margaret choked on her drink and Jarod developed an interest in the tablecloth. "It's James now," he reminded his father.

"Unca Jay," Tommy added helpfully. "Antemily."

"They seem to be very…chummy," Charles said thoughtfully.

"Mmm."

"Don't tell me they…they're dating!" All fathers have protective streak when it comes to their daughters. Regardless of her age, she will always be 'Daddy's Little Girl.' Charles was ready to march up to James and tell him to get his hands off Emily, but Margaret gently placed a restraining hand on his arm.

"Trust her, Charles. And trust him."

Charles wasn't happy but it was his son's wedding day and he didn't want anything to spoil it.

"Major," Miranda said, coming up behind Jarod, "would you like the next dance?"

"Are you planning on dancing with every male here?" Jarod teased.

She laughed. "Well, now that you mention it…."

"Mom, what do you say? Shall we show them how it's really done?"

Margaret nodded and took Jarod's hand. Tommy was passed to Debbie and he fell asleep in her arms.

"My son is lucky to have found you," Charles said to Miranda.

She shook her head lightly. "No, I'm the lucky one. If it weren't for him I'd still be stuck on one of the sub-levels, waiting to have this child by myself."

"He's told me a lot about those last few weeks. If it weren't for you he would never have known that he had a son."

"Well, it all worked out for the best. Now we just have to get through the trial."

"What?! You're not thinking of going, are you?" Charles' reaction was almost identical to Jarod's.

"I have to."

He knew better than to argue with her. "Well, if you're sure-"

"I am."

Much, much later that day, Jarod and Miranda returned home. They had decided to postpone their honeymoon for a while. Tommy would spend the weekend with his grandparents. The newlyweds rented a couple of videos, stocked up on junk food, took the phone off the hook and spent the weekend in their pajamas.

Well, some of the weekend anyway.

*~*