Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: The characters etc. of the Pretender don't belong to me. No copyright infringement is intended & I'm not making any money from this so please (pretty please, with a cherry on top) don't sue me.

The Baby Series
Not The Waltons
Melanie-Anne



“Lyle,” Jarod growled.

“Unca Lyle!” Tommy sang out, reaching for the man in question. Lyle was surprised that Tommy remembered him; after all, he’d hardly had any contact with the boy.

Jarod caught Miranda’s eye and reluctantly handed his son over. Only then did he see his sister and for a moment nothing else mattered. He pulled her into his arms. “It’s really you!” he said.

Emily nodded, too choked up with emotion to speak.

Tommy squirmed in Lyle’s arms and frowned. “Hey, I think he needs changing,” Miranda said to Lyle. “Let’s go upstairs. I think they need some time alone,” she added when they had left the room.

Lyle followed her up to Tommy’s room. “This is cute,” he said, referring to the Winnie-the-Pooh décor.

“Jarod picked it. He has a thing for Winnie-the-Pooh.” Miranda took Tommy from Lyle and changed his dirty diaper.

“You’re good at this mom-thing,” Lyle observed.

Miranda smiled. “Well, how about you? Have you given any thought to settling down?”

Trying to sound nonchalant, Lyle picked up a teddy bear and said, “The thought’s crossed my mind.”

“Really?” Miranda arched a delicate eyebrow. “Anyone in particular in mind?”

Lyle shrugged.

“Likes lady,” Tommy said solemnly, staring up at the two adults.

“I should hope so!” Miranda laughed.

“Lady with Dada.”

Lyle’s mouth dropped open and Miranda stared at him in disbelief. “Emily?” she asked.

“Uh…”

Miranda grinned. “When did this happen? Why? How? I- wow.”

“How- how did he know?” Lyle asked.

“He’s an empath.”

“Already?”

“Already.”

“Oh.”

Now that he had given away his uncle’s secret, Tommy was content to suck his thumb. He was hungry, but not hungry enough to demand attention.

“You won’t tell Jarod, will you?” Lyle asked.

“We-e-ell,” Miranda drawled, enjoying the look of torment on his face, “I’ll have to see.”

“Please?”

“Of course not.” Impulsively she grabbed his hand and squeezed it. “Let’s go down and see if they even realized we were gone.”

Jarod was alone, staring out the window when Lyle and Miranda returned to the living room.

“Where’s Emily?” Miranda asked.

“Bathroom.”

“Tommy’s dying to meet her,” she said, slipping out.

It was just Jarod and Lyle and an uncomfortable silence. They both spoke at the same time.

“I’m sorry…”

“I want…”

Jarod bowed his head. “Speak.”

“I just wanted to say that I’m sorry for everything that happened in the past. I know it can’t be easy for you. Having me here, I mean. But if you can find it in your heart to forgive…” he stopped awkwardly, not sure how to continue, wondering how wise it was to mention Miranda.

“Thank you for bringing my sister here. I owe you for that. She knows where the rest of my family is and we’re going to be together soon.”

Lyle sighed. “I understand. I’ll be gone by the time they arrive.”

“No! I mean, please don’t feel unwelcome. You’re right, it’s not easy, but Miranda wants you here and there’s nothing I wouldn’t do for her.” As he spoke, Jarod knew he was making the right decision.

“Thank you,” Lyle said.

Emily, listening from the hallway, walked into the kitchen with a smile on her face. It was time to meet her nephew.

*

The next morning Miranda sat in the kitchen, glaring at the mug or herbal tea that stood on the counter. Jarod had suggested that she cut down on her caffeine intake until after Sara’s birth. But with that craving denied, another rose up. She couldn’t recall when last she’d wanted a cigarette so badly.

She rubbed her growing belly. At least she hadn’t thrown up yet. That was always a good sign.

“Morning,” Emily said as she helped herself to coffee, unaware of Miranda’s envious gaze.

“Mmm,” Miranda grunted and took a sip of tea. She had to force herself to swallow it, remembering why it was that she preferred coffee.

“Where’s Jarod?”

“Jogging. He says he needs something to keep in shape now that I’m no longer chasing him.” She yawned. “I still think he’s crazy to get up that early in the morning.”

Emily regarded the woman in front of her. “Do you love him?”

Miranda looked up sharply. “Yes.”

“You knew him as a child, right?”

Miranda nodded.

“Tell me about him.”

Her eyes took on a distant look as she thought about the past. “There was this bond between us from the day we met. I was lonely and so was he and we just sort of drifted into a friendship. Sometimes we didn’t even have to speak to have a conversation, that’s how close we were. There was another boy with us, Timmy, and the three of us were always sneaking around the air vents. I got them into trouble all the time but Jarod would never let me take the blame. Then Timmy became Angelo and my mother died…he was all I had. I think…I think it was him who kept me human in the end. He was the first boy I ever kissed….”

Miranda looked directly at Emily as she continued. “All the time I chased him, I never wanted to. I was glad he’d gotten away, glad that he was able to do what I couldn’t…what my mother couldn’t…and glad that he didn’t just disappear when he could have…that he didn’t forget me.”

“You did what you had to do,” Emily said, surprising herself. She would never have thought she’d find herself sympathizing with the ex-enemy.

Miranda smiled wryly. “I only hope the rest of your family sees things like that.”

Emily laughed. “What is it with you Parkers? Why are you so worried about what my family thinks of you?”

All the softness vanished from Miranda’s face as she stood up. “I am not a Parker anymore.” She picked up her tea and left the kitchen.

“I’m sorry,” Emily said to empty air.

“For what?” Jarod asked, opening the back door.

“I referred to Miranda as a Parker and I guess that was the wrong thing to do.”

Jarod opened the cupboard where he’d hidden the Pop Tarts. “She’s just moody because she’s pregnant. I wouldn’t worry.” There were no Pop Tarts. “I don’t know where she puts all the food she eats,” he said with a sigh, having to settle for cereal. “How did you sleep?”

“Fine. I spoke to Dad last night.”

Jarod looked up. “And?”

“They’re on their way here. I told them I found some important information. They don’t know I’m with you.”

“This is going to be an interesting reunion,” he said.

“Yep. The Waltons we are not.”

“Who?”

“Never mind. It’s not important.”

“Good morning.” Lyle walked into the kitchen with Tommy. Looking at Jarod, he said, “Sorry, he was awake when I looked in and I thought…”

“It’s okay.” Jarod took his son from Lyle and gave him a good morning kiss. Because he was too busy fussing over Tommy, he missed the look exchanged by Lyle and Emily.

“Hey, Em, do you know when they’re arriving?” he asked.

“Tomorrow night.”

“Ethan too?” Lyle asked.

“Yeah.”

Jarod finally tore his attention away from his son. He’d almost forgotten that Ethan was Lyle’s brother too. His resolve to be nice to him strengthened. Even Tommy seemed to like him. He couldn’t be that bad then, could he?

*

The atmosphere in the Centre had been extremely tense in the days since Mr. Parker’s death. Two Centre ghouls were dead, one had disappeared, and all the Pretenders had vanished, as had a technician and a psychiatrist.

The Triumvirate was not happy.

Cox tried to keep the bounce out of his step as he walked the corridors for what was probably the last time. The Triumvirate had requested his presence at a meeting to discuss a plan to deal with the situation.

They had no idea that he had made plans of his own.

Forty minutes into the meeting the fire alarms went off and the employees started evacuating the building. As the Triumvirate walked out into the sunlight the FBI, disguised as firemen, took them into custody. Cox walked over to the SAC and handed him a computer disk.

“Congratulations, Agent Burke. It looks like this assignment was a success,” the SAC said.

Cox smiled. “Did you really think it wouldn’t be?”

“It took a little longer than we expected. Are those them?” The older agent pointed to the members of the Triumvirate. “They look so…ordinary.”

“It’s my experience that most psychopaths and sociopaths look ordinary, sir. Don’t let that fool you.”

The SAC nodded. “There’s another case we might need your help with. No one else wants to touch it.”

“It sounds…perfect,” Cox grinned.

*

“Why are you hiding out here in the garden?” Emily asked softly.

“I’m not hiding,” Lyle said.

“It’s not as bad as you thought, is it?”

Lyle turned around. “It’s worse. I was expecting him to hate me. I was prepared for him to tell me to get lost. Not this…this politeness and…acceptance. It’s only for Miranda’s sake anyway.”

Emily slipped her hand into his and stepped closer to him. “And mine, only he doesn’t know it yet.”

“Miranda knows.”

“What? Lyle you weren’t supposed to say anything!”

“I didn’t tell her. Tommy did.” H chuckled.

“Tommy?”

“Yeah.”

“Your sister’s not what I expected. But then, neither are you, I guess.”

“People change.”

“That’s true.”

“Love does strange things. The first time I wanted my life to be different was the day Miranda asked me if I had a heart. And then she disappeared. All that…that stuff I was feeling- I didn’t understand it. I’d never felt it before. I was willing to do anything to help her.”

Emily listened, a half-smile on her face. She’d had no idea.

“I want what she and Jarod have. I know I don’t deserve it but…I want it anyway.”

He stopped and looked down at Emily, then, very slowly, pulled her against him. He breathed in the smell of her hair and felt her soft curves against his body.

“I’ve never felt this alive,” he confessed.

Emily stood up on her tiptoes to kiss him, not stopping until she was pulled roughly away from him.

“What the hell is going on?” Jarod demanded.

“Umm….” Emily stammered, trying to gather her thoughts.

Jarod punched Lyle, knocking him to the ground.

“No!” Emily cried.

“What are you thinking, Lyle?” Jarod’s reason was blocked by rage. “How dare you? After everything you’ve done, how dare you try and seduce my sister?”

Emily grabbed Jarod’s arm to prevent further blows. “He didn’t seduce me!”

“Em, don’t you know what he is?”

“Stop being such a hypocrite! So he made a couple of mistakes, so what?”

Miranda, drawn outside by the noise of everyone’s yelling, decided then to make her opinion heard.

“If all of you don’t shut up right now, you can all just go back to where you came from because, rest assured, I won’t let you set a foot back inside this house!”

The others turned to face her in surprise.

“You,” she said, pointing at Jarod, “said you would be nice.” To Lyle, “Well, you got what you expected. Are you happy now?” Not even Emily escaped unscathed. “You should have told him. He’s your brother; he deserved to hear it from you. Aren’t any of you sick of secrets yet?”

On that note, Miranda stormed back into the house, slamming the door behind her. Jarod ran after her.

“What, you knew? Miranda? Miranda! Let me in!” he pounded on the back door and jiggled the doorknob but it was no use. The door was locked. Miranda had meant every word she’d said. Jarod ran around to the front door only to find that it too was locked. He checked his pants pocket for the keys and then remembered that he’d left them in the kitchen.

“Are you okay?” Emily asked Lyle, tentatively touching the bruise beginning to form on his cheekbone.

“I’m fine,” he grunted.

“Your sister’s got quite the temper.”

“I’m thinking it’s a quality she shares with Jarod.”

“I’m sorry he hit you.” She grinned. “Do you want me to kiss the boo-boo away?”

Lyle looked at her askance. “And get a matching bruise on the other side? No thanks, I’ll wait.”

“It could be worse,” she said philosophically.

“How so?”

“He could have shot you.”

“Thanks, Em, for being so positive.”

“Sorry. I guess now’s not the time for my morbid humor to come through. So, how long do you think she’s going to keep us locked out?”

Lyle shrugged. “Forever, depending on her mood.”

“Are we just going to sit here and wait?”

“What did you have in mind?”

“Food. It’s lunchtime and I’m hungry.”

Feeling decidedly better, Lyle stood up and dusted the grass from his clothes and hair. He held out his arm. “This time I promise no awful diner food.”

“Ooh! A real date!” Emily laughed.

Jarod knocked on the door until his hand hurt. He knew Miranda was on the other side, he could hear her. “Please let me in. we need to talk. I’m sorry. Andi, please?”

She’d been sitting on the floor by the front door. It was the use of the previously unused diminutive that did it. She unlocked the door and slowly pulled it open. Jarod stood leaning against the doorjamb with one arm.

“I’m sorry,” he said.

“Me too. I didn’t mean to yell.”

“And I didn’t mean to punch your brother.”

“I know.”

“Can I come in now?”

She nodded and he stepped forward into her arms. “You know, one day I’m going to carry you through this door.”

It took a second before his words fully registered in her brain. “What?”

“I had a more romantic proposal in mind but real life got in the way.”

“A…a proposal?”

“Yeah, what do you say, Andi? Do you want to make an honest man out of me?”

She couldn’t help it, she started to cry. “My mother called me Andi,” she sniffed.

“I know. Hey, are you okay?”

She nodded. “Hormones.”

“And with the…the other thing? How do you feel about that?”

She wiped her eyes and smiled, pulling his head down for a kiss. “It’s about damn time you asked.”

“Umm…are you…gonna…let the…others…in?” he asked between kisses.

“Mmm…they…left….”

“Tommy?”

“Sleeping.”

“So we’re…alone?”

“Mm-hmm.”

“Good.”

He kicked the door shut and, still kissing her, pulled her into the living room where they collapsed onto the nearest couch.

***