Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Microsoft Word

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: I don't own 'em... never did... never will... will never earn a penny... no infringement intended... please don't sue me... life is complicated enough these days.

Weapons Of Choice
By Ginger





"I don't believe this!" she barked as she pounded on the door in frustration.

"I told you not to follow me in here. You really should have listened to me, Miss Parker," he remarked as he sat on the floor, back against the far wall, knees bent.

"Yeah, well you should have stayed the hell out of my face today, ratboy. By now, I figured you anticipated my every move and, yet, you end up falling right in my lap when I take a day off to get my car repainted. Pretty stupid, Jarod, since YOU'RE the reason I'm getting it repainted! God, I wish I had my gun with me! I'd pop a cap in your ass, I swear!"

"Temper, Miss Parker. It's not good for you to get so upset... remember your ulcer."

"I find my ulcer a rather trivial concern when I'm trapped - with Frankenboy - in a building that is likely to explode any minute."

"We'll get out of this just fine."

"Correction, Jarod, I'll get out of this just fine. Your ass is going back where it belongs!"

"I have no intention of going back with you, today or any day, but you already know that because you don't really have any intention of bringing me in. I think we're both past harboring that illusion."

"EXCUSE ME?"

"You've never had it in you to injure me and now you don't even have it in you to deprive me of my freedom. This I know."

"You're making some pretty bold assumptions, aren't you? And about a woman who sleeps with a 9mm under her pillow, no less."

"Oh, that doesn't scare me. I'm more concerned with that other weapon; the one you keep in the nightstand..." he cocked his head slightly and smirked, "the one that requires batteries. Now THAT looks like it could inflict some REAL damage!"

Momentarily shocked into speechlessness, Parker regained her composure and stormed across the room toward him.

"Uh-oh," he muttered to himself.

"You son-of-a-bitch!" she crouched down in front of him and warned through clenched teeth, "Whatever has gone on between us, you have never truly had me as an enemy but, I swear, if you use this reprehensible invasion of my privacy in attempt to embarrass or humiliate me in any way, I swear I'll track you to the ends of the Earth, and this time I WON'T be hunting for the Centre. I'll be hunting for ME and, baby, that's an entirely different ballgame, I PROMISE you that."

"I know you've heard this before but you are very beautiful when you're angry, Miss Parker," he commented with a smirk.

"AAAAH!" she shouted as she sprang up and marched across the room.

"Relax, I would never use something like that against you. And there's nothing to be ashamed of; we all have needs, Miss Parker, even you."

Sliding down the opposite wall into a seated position, she just looked at him for a moment, stupefied, before dropping her head.

"This has GOT to be a nightmare," she groaned.

"On the contrary, I feel wide awake," he chirped. "Now, are you going to help me get us out of here or not?"

* * * *

"Are you SURE you are okay, Miss Parker?" Sydney inquired as he contemplated her enigmatic expression and demeanor. He had noticed it the moment he laid eyes on her, having met her as requested when she phoned him after her and Jarod's narrow escape.

"I'm fine, Syd, really. By now, I've gotten used to having my ass in a sling."

"They could hardly expect you to bring in Jarod single-handedly while unarmed. Besides, you were both in grave danger. I'm just glad you're both safe and I already have Broots making discreet inquiries into the matter of who might have set that little trap for the two of you... Miss Parker?"

*Great... I'll have to get rid of it now that monkeyboy's had his paws all over it! And it's brand new... my favorite souvenir from that trip to Amsterdam. The annoying little shit... I can just imagine the look on his face as he pondered his little discovery... that forehead wrinkling the way it does when he's deep in thought... Who am I kidding, I'll never get rid of it now... it's got special significance, sort of like a religious medal that you know has been blessed by the Pope!*

"Miss Parker?"

"Sorry, Syd, you were saying?" she replied through chuckles.

"What, exactly, happened this morning?"

"Oh, nothing that warrants repeating, believe me."

"I'm not so sure. Are you coming back to the Centre with me or shall I drop you at home?"

"Home, I think, Sydney. Not in the mood to face Daddy, Raines, or my evil twin who, incidentally, I'd place the early money on for being behind this little stunt. It wouldn't be the first time he sent me into a building wired to blow to kingdom come and it probably won't be the last."

"As you wish."

*I am most DEFINITELY going to hell!*

"Miss Parker?"

"Yes, Sydney?" she replied with a sigh.

"You were giggling again. Are you SURE you are okay?"

* * * *

"Ugh..."

Parker groaned at the realization that she wouldn't be able to sleep... without a little something to relax her first. Sighing in resignation, she reached over and slid open the drawer to the nightstand.

"What the..."

She sat up and flicked on the light as she pulled out a slip of paper. It read:

Miss Parker,

I thought you might be reaching in here this evening. I'm flattered.

Take it from an expert, the real thing is SO much better than simulation. And, who knows, maybe someday you'll actually get your hands on the REAL THING.

In the meantime, I've left you plenty of batteries.

Enjoy,

J.


She looked up from the note, wide-eyed and gap-jawed, then reached into the drawer again to retrieve another item, a 24-pack of batteries.

"That arrogant son-of-a-bitch!" she exclaimed then took another moment to ponder.

A sly smile appeared on her lips, followed by a casual shrug. She tossed the package and note back into the drawer and slid back under the covers as she flicked off the light.

"Thanks for the batteries, lab rat."

# # # #