Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: see part one

~~~~~~~

Smokescreen
Part 6


No getting through


The moment of peace was only short lived.

As if remembering in whose arms he was, Jay suddenly tensed. Jarod loosened his embrace in response. Jay looked up, then put his hands against Jarod’s chest and pushed him away.

Jarod tightly controlled his facial expression. He let go of Jay but stayed sitting on the bedside, much to Jay’s annoyance.

Jay straightened and crossed his hands in front of his chest. “Get out,” he hissed.

Jarod quirked an eyebrow. “Are you feeling better now?” he asked, not reacting to Jay’s request.

“I’m fine and now get out.”

Jarod tilted his head and his eyes flashed dangerously. No, he wouldn’t back away this time.

“Jay, talk to me. I’m here to help you. I am not your enemy. Tell me what this is about, what it is that is annoying you,” Jarod said.

“You are annoying me, that’s all,” Jay snapped.

Jarod bit down an angry remark. “Jay, come on. Maybe I can help you!”

“You want to help me?” Jay asked with an angry undertone.

“Of course I want to help you”, Jarod replied earnestly, looking at his clone.

“You can’t even cope with your own nightmares so how could you be able to help me with mine?” the young man growled.

Jarod was taken aback by the remark.

“Think that I don’t hear your nightmare? And don’t think that I don’t know why you are up early in the morning?”

“Yes, I have my share of nightmares. Maybe that’s why we should join forces and trust in each other,” Jarod suggested.

“Trust,” Jay mumbled and then shot Jarod another angry glance.

“Yes, trust. Let me help you,” Jarod tried again, his voice softening.

Jay shook his head and then went on angrily. “You can’t even help yourself, Jarod. But if you want to help me, you can help yourself out of my bedroom now.”

Jarod’s eyes narrowed dangerously. “Jay,” he started again but the boy interrupted him sharply.

“No, Jarod. Get out!”

Jarod passively watched the boy, trying to find another way to get him to open up.

“Get out!”

“Ok, for now but we’re not through with this,” Jarod stood up and turned towards the door.

“Why don’t you just go?” Jay huffed, suddenly his voice dropped to barley more than a whisper.

“I am on my way out of your room if you hadn’t noticed,” Jarod snapped, anger welling up in him now.

Jay shook his head. “No, I mean why don’t you just leave here and go back to your pretends?”

“Sorry, bro, but that’s not gonna happen anytime soon,” Jarod replied and then left the room, firmly closing the door behind him.

Later, when he was in his room again and couldn’t find any sleep, Jarod didn’t really know why he had left at that point.

Maybe he could have got through to Jay. He sighed. But maybe his attempts would have been blocked once more. And if he was honest with himself, the second possibility seemed to be the more likely one.

And yet, maybe he should have tried.

Jarod grumbled once more and got up from his lying position. He wouldn’t get any sleep tonight so he might as well get up and walk around for a bit. Perhaps that would help to clear his mind.

He went down into the kitchen and started some coffee. It was barely after four in the morning but he didn’t care.

Going out on the front porch with his cup, he sat down on the porch swing and set it in motion with one foot. He was still angry at Jay, angry at the way he behaved and angry at the way the boy tried to push him away and time and time again succeeded in keeping him at a distance.

More than a week had already passed and he wasn’t any closer to getting through to Jay.

He hadn’t thought this would get so hard. He had been looking forward to seeing the young man again. But right now he often had to fight the urge to just hit Jay over the head. The young man was being unreasonable and stubborn.

His thoughts kept on spinning for a long time and so he nearly missed the soft squeaking of the door. Carol was joining him on the porch, walking over to where he was.

“I take it that the two of you didn’t get along.”

Jarod shrugged. “I just can’t seem to get throught to him or to get him to open up to me. He keeps on pushing me away and the problem is that he knows which points to aim at. I sometimes have to fight for my own control. I was on the verge of hitting him several times.”

“Which is not surprising considering how he’s ripping into you. I was already wondering, but you didn’t really seem impressed by his remarks at all,” Carol replied. “I have to say that you are both very good in hiding your feelings.”

“Yeah, I think we both had a lot of training,” Jarod admitted. “I just hope that I can find a way to help him. At the moment I don’t know what to do.”

“You will be able to help. I’m sure you’ll get through to him. He’s changed since you came,” Carol said.

Jarod tilted his head, looking curiously at Carol. “Changed? For the better or worse?”

“That’s what I’m still trying to sort out. He seems to be more edgy and more ready to make vicious remarks but from what I can observe, he now turns all his attention towards you and not to anyone else any longer. He seems to concentrate entirely on you,” Carol explained.

“How very nice of him,” Jarod replied sarcastically.

Carol chuckled lightly. “Yeah. Sorry but that’s what I’m seeing from a distance.”

“No, it’s good that you told me. Maybe this will help me,” Jarod said not really believing it. But anyway, what Carol had said was true. Jay seemed focussed entirely on getting his older self out of his way.

“Yes, maybe it will help,” Carol nodded and then got up from her seat. “Breakfast?”

Jarod smiled up at her. “Yes, thank you.”


To be continued…