Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: see part one

~~~~~~~

Smokescreen
Part 5


Nightmare


Over the next few days Jay tried to stay out of Jarod’s way as much as possible and Jarod -even though grudgingly - gave the boy that room.

Carol and Marc were confused about Jarod’s behaviour but they had agreed to go along with it for the time being.

For Jarod it was easy to see that Jay was steaming about the fact that he was there, but he also saw that Jay was unwinding at least some small bit the longer Jarod stayed.

But even though Jay calmed down a bit, he was as distant as ever. He was closed up and most of the time he didn’t even acknowledge Jarod’s presence.

Jarod sometimes wondered how long this behaviour would continue. Or better yet, how long he would be able to stay calm and not blow up in the boy’s face. He knew that the young man’s behaviour hurt Carol and Marc rather badly and he was annoyed at the way Jay was continuing to move around without minding anything or anyone.

Observing Jay, it was obvious that the boy didn’t intend to change anything at all.

On the other hand, Jarod knew that one of them would have to make the first step; and this someone would most certainly be him and not Jay.

He had tried to reach out to Jay but the teen made a point of ignoring him.

Jay either ignored him or tried to push Jarod away. He did his best to hurt him with little remarks each time he spoke to Jarod. The longer the boy kept this behaviour up, the more puzzled Jarod became.

Jay didn’t let anything on about his emotional state and he didn’t give any unconscious clues as to what it was that was infuriating him. Jarod was still nearly as clueless as he had been when he had first set a foot into the house.

He was partly irritated about that, but on the other hand he knew better than most to what length Jay would go to hide something and knew he shouldn’t be surprised. Jarod could sometimes almost see the wheels turning in Jay’s head. It was then he understood that the boy was hiding as much as he could. He slowly got the impression Jay was giving him bits and pieces to confuse him; he didn’t want Jarod to find out what was going on.

The only thing that Jay didn’t calculate on was that they were so much alike.

Jay was trying to push him away; to make him leave so he would be alone again. But with each remark Jarod became more curious and adamant to find out what this was about.

Lying on his bed and staring at the hidden ceiling, Jarod chuckled silently.
Jay should know better than that. He was trying so hard to get rid of his older self that he had obviously forgotten that Jarod would see through this and not be fazed. But Jarod had to give him credit; some of his remarks were really vicious and they did hurt. The only reason Jarod hadn’t picked real fight with Jay was because he had decided to turn a deaf ear to his remarks thinking them some kind of attempt to drive Jarod out of his environment.

Once Jarod had been close to just packing his things and leaving the boy, thinking that if the young man didn’t want help than so be it. Only one thing had kept him back; the fact that he believed that Jay was in a way seeking exactly that:

Help

Someone to break through to him; someone who was not scared away by his act but tried to get through to him.

He saw through the behaviour and recognised the signs Jay sent out. Despite all his trying to push the whole world away, Jay practically screamed for help. He was screaming for someone not to turn a blind eye to his behaviour and try to draw him out of his stupor.

He knew the boy better than anyone else - at least he should; they were one and the same. Yet he couldn't wrap his mind around a reason; couldn't understand Jay's anger. The boy had a great life here with people who took good care of him and loved him. He lived a life as close to 'normal' as possible.

Jay had everything Jarod had so desperately wanted in the boy’s age and everything he had hoped for the boy when he had liberated him… and still Jay was obviously not happy.

Jarod yawned and stretched. He was tired but there were still many things going through his mind.

Suddenly, a piercing scream echoed through the otherwise silent house.

Jarod was on his feet not even a heartbeat later, racing out of his room and towards the sound. The door at the other end of the corridor opened when Jarod was already entering Jay’s bed room. Jarod saw Carol and Marc out of the corner of his eye and he waved at them to stay back. He turned briefly back towards them.

”Go back to bed and let me handle this,” he requested. Marc and Carol hesitated but Jarod shut the door before they could protest.

Everything was silent again but the boy had yet to calm down. He was still trapped in his nightmare.

Jay was trashing in his bed, kicking and trying to fend off invisible aggressors. Jarod clenched his jaw. He knew the demons Jay was fighting.

With two big strides Jarod was at Jay’s side.

When the boy whimpered once again and Jarod sat down on the bed, switching on the bedside lamp. He shook the young man gently. Jay shrieked and flinched away from his touch, still asleep.

“Jay,” Jarod called. “Jay, it’s just a nightmare. You’re ok. You’re safe,” he shook the young man’s shoulder once more, more forcefully. This time it got the desired effect.

All of a sudden Jay sat up straight in his bed. He was frantically looking around and panting heavily. Jarod touched his shoulder again, trying to help him by constructing a connection to the real world.

Jay looked up at Jarod and let out a shuddering breath. He then leaned into Jarod and let himself be comforted.

Jarod sighed and closed his arms around his younger self, hugging him tightly.

Maybe this would be a breakthrough in their relationship. Maybe he would get through to him and maybe he could help Jay now.


To be continued…