Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

"Further on up the Road"

"Sydney here."

"Sydney, I think I know where Ethan could be. I'm heading there right now. Anything from Angelo?"

"No, Jarod. He just kept on saying the same words all over again."

"Check out all Centre-issued orders regarding a search team for Ethan, Sydney! I need to keep on the road. I don't want to lose valuable time."

"I'll have Broots on it right away. Jarod, you know that besides the Centre, Miss Parker could be on this too. I don't think it would mean that she'd be hunting you anymore. But we have no idea what kind of mood she'll be in, so try to avoid picking a fight with her, for both of your sakes."

"I'm not worried about Miss Parker," the pretender lied. "I'm more concerned with Lyle showing up there, so check up on him." With that he ended the conversation and returned his attention to the road.

*******************

Miss Parker disregarded any speed limit the State had ever issued. She had already passed the border to Maine. The drive had been more than arduous, but she was close now. She got off the highway and drove through the small town. At the end of the main road she turned left then another left and then right. She was almost there. Turning into the driveway she pulled a stop right in front of Ben's guest house. The anxious woman got out of her car not even caring to lock it. At the door she knocked three times and waited impatiently for Ben to open.

*************************

Lyle entered the sim lab and found what - or rather who - he was looking for. Angelo sat on the floor in a corner, again holding something in his hand. He crossed the room quickly and very deliberately cut all possible ways for Angelo to get away from him. The poor empath was not afraid of him, but would never stay near him voluntarily.

With a dangerous smile on his face Lyle crouched down to be eye-level with his 'prey'. "So, Angelo, tell me, something on your demented mind I should know?" Angelo just gazed at him with an empty expression. He said nothing in return, but tried to hide what he had held in his hand.

This did not go unnoticed by Lyle. With a quick move, he grabbed him by his collar and pulled him in a standing position. "Gimme that, you idiot!" he gritted through his teeth and ripped the piece out of Angelo's hand.

He took a quick glance, and smiled again. It was a picture of a man and his mother, both sitting on a front porch swing and smiling broadly. Wherever Angelo had got that from - probably his sister - was not important to him. What was important was who that man was and where he would find him. Because, Lyle was sure, it had to be the final hint that would help him on his current mission: finding Ethan.

He dialled a number and ordered two sweepers to come down to the sim lab. He wanted them to watch over Angelo. The freak must not get near Sydney or Broots anytime soon. At least not until Lyle had found who he was looking for. It would just spoil the surprise!

With the face and the house number clearly visible on the picture, he'd have no big problem in finding the location of the house and its owner.

***************************

"Miss Parker! What a surprise! How are you? Come on in." "Ben. I'm fine, thank you. I actually need your help with something." Following him into the house, she tried to stay calm.

"Anything Miss Parker, anything. Can I offer you some coffee?" "No thank you. I have no time. I am looking for someone and was wondering if you'd seen him. If he had been here maybe?" With that she produced a picture of Ethan and handed it over.

Ben was a little puzzled at her behaviour; he thought that she'd wanted to stay at his place again for a few days. Nevertheless, he took the photo and studied it closely.

"Well, he had longer hair, and a three day growth on his face. But yes, I think that was him. He appeared here five days ago, stayed one night and moved on. He was acting a little weird though."

"What do you mean? And do you know where he wanted to go from here?"

"No he didn't say anything. Well, weird in a nice way. He was kind of shy and very quiet. Introverted I guess. He had said he loved it here, that it almost felt like home. Miss Parker, you seem to know him. Who is he?"

"He's my brother and I need to find him. Has anyone else asked for him? Maybe some muscles in suits? A man with a leather glove maybe?"

"Your brother? I wasn't aware that you had one. Catherine never mentioned him. And no, no one else came here to ask for him. Why?"

"It's better you don't know. Please, Ben, for your sake and Ethan's," she said, raising the picture, "don't tell anyone about this. Not about him and not about me being here, OK?"

"Of course Miss Parker. But really, tell me what this is about. I might be able to help."

"No. I am sorry Ben, but I can't talk about it. Not now. When everything is clear and I've found Ethan I'll return. And then we'll have coffee and I'll tell you, I promise."

With an affectionate handshake Miss Parker left. Back in her car, she went through her conversation again. She had been right. Ethan had looked for some place he could feel his mother. But why leave so soon. Where could he have gone? She turned on the ignition and slowly made it down the driveway. She decided to drive around the lake. She wanted to take in the scenery. The sun would go down soon; it had got late. Maybe she should go back and take a room at Ben's for one night.

Pondering over the wisdom of doing so, she saw a man taking a stroll on the lake shore. He was not too tall and had brunette long hair. She stopped her car and tried to get a better look at him. Suddenly the man looked up at the street and their eyes met.

Miss Parker left her car on the side of the road and moved towards her brother, who made his way up to the streets. When they finally stood face to face, Ethan simply smiled. "Miss Parker."

"Ethan."

"I knew someone was coming. I didn't know who, so I left the house our mother used to live in. I didn't want to draw any attention to Ben."

"That was good. But you were there five days ago. Where are you staying now?"

"Every night at another Inn. But always nearby. I like it here. She feels close here."

"You are talking about our mother?"

"Yes. She'd been talking to me a lot lately. Nothing I can make sense of though, but talking nevertheless. I had the feeling I needed to get here. I don't know why."

"Let's go someplace where we could talk, ok?"

"I'm staying at this Inn ten minutes from here. They have a nice winter- garden with a view of the lake. Let's go there."

***************************

It was already dark when Jarod arrived at Ben's inn. Just like Miss Parker a few hours before, he knocked on the front door, hardly awaiting the answer.

When Ben opened up, his surprise at his visitor couldn't be bigger. He actually had awaited someone similar to Miss Parker's description, but not the nice young man he had met many years ago. He recognized Jarod at once. He was a man you'd never forget.

"Jarod! Now, that is another big surprise! Come in."

"Hello Ben. It's nice to see you again. Another surprise? What was the 'other'?"

"Well, Miss Parker appeared out of nowhere just a few hours ago, and now you!"

"Miss Parker? Is she still here?" With a frantic pace he entered and looked all around.

"No, she'd left again. I'm sorry. You're looking for her?" "Yes, that too. But actually I am looking for my brother. Have you seen him?" With that he held the picture of Ethan up for Ben to see. Ben looked at the same photograph of the same man as before, when Jarod's words sank in: 'his brother'.

"Jarod, you said your brother. Miss Parker told me the exact same thing. What's all this about?"

"It's a long story. Suffice it to say that it's the truth. He is our brother, but it's rather complicated. So, did Miss Parker leave with him? And if so, where to? Do you know?"

The resemblance of the two conversations almost seemed comical to Ben.

"Again, no. Miss Parker was late too. I told her Ethan had been here for one night and then left. She got in her car again after that and disappeared. I don't know where to. Come on, Jarod, have a tea or coffee with me and tell me what this is all about."

Reluctantly Jarod accepted the invitation and opted for tea. He couldn't do anything at the moment. He needed a bed to sleep for the night, some peace and quiet to think, and a phone line for his laptop.

*********************************

Lyle had learned that Ben Miller lived in a small town in Maine. Whatever his connection to Catherine Parker was, Lyle didn't know. That didn't matter anyway. Unlike his sister, he was not even slightly interested in this part of their mother's life. He had only needed the address. With the order to have the Centre jet ready by five a.m., he left his office and went home.

*******************************

It was nine o'clock in the morning. With coffee in her hand Miss Parker sat in the winter-garden of the guest house she and her brother had spent the night in. They had had a long conversation after returning to the house yesterday. It had been almost 2 a.m, when they finally retreated to their rooms to get some sleep. As she had been expecting, Ethan had been looking for a family connection here. He had felt Catherine's presence at Ben's and also while strolling around the beautiful lake.

Ethan had told her that during the past few months he felt an indescribable desire to get in touch with his family. Their mother's voice had led him here, and the desire had subsided.

Miss Parker realized that her brother needed closure. He needed a family, but she was not sure if she would be the right part of that family for him.

She finished her morning coffee and went upstairs to look for Ethan. When he did not answer her discreet knock, she opened the door only to find the room empty. Back downstairs she asked their host if he had seen the young man. She found out that Ethan went for a walk over an hour ago, and hadn't returned yet.

The tall woman took her leather coat and went outside. The lake in front of the house was of a deep blue colour and the sun was up high already. It sure would be another beautiful day.

She saw what seemed to be an old, abandoned fisher house -- about eight hundred yards left from the guesthouse -- and decided to walk over there.

A boardwalk made of wooden planks led a few yards into the lake. It had probably been used to tie boats to. Ethan sat on the edge of the boardwalk, his legs hanging in the air. Miss Parker went towards him, careful not to startle her brother.

But he seemed to know that she was approaching and turned his head in her direction. Smiling, he patted the planks inviting her to sit beside him. She sat down on his left and for a few minutes the siblings were enjoying the scenery in silence.

***************************

Jarod had bid goodbye to Ben. The pretender had wanted to leave around seven, but Ben had prepared him a huge delicious breakfast that he just couldn't resist. So it was almost nine when he finally got into his car and moved on. He wanted to make sure that Ben wouldn't have to encounter a surprise visit by any sweepers so he decided to drive around town a little to check out everything. He drove on the road that led all around Lake Catherine and kept his eyes open for any black cars that seemed suspicious.

It was fifteen minutes later that something down at the lake seemed awfully out of place. He was on the road and had a good view down to the lake. He saw a small, very old building. The place was clearly abandoned, so who would be sitting on a boardwalk of an abandoned fisher house? The two people, apparently a man and a woman, sat side by side and watched the lake.

Maybe that was just a couple enjoying the romantic scenery? The man had just put his hand on the woman's. Yes, probably two lovers who wanted to be by themselves.

Just as Jarod decided to move on the woman got up and stretched herself a bit. What he saw was a physical appearance that was so unique and so familiar to him. It was a sight that was burned into his brain forever, and a sight he had almost given up of ever seeing again.

Miss Parker.

***************************

Miss Parker got back on her feet again. "Are you planning to stay here any longer? I mean here in Maine?" the woman asked.

"I don't know. What about you? What do you want?"

"If I only knew. Ethan, I was planning on starting a new life without looking back. And now that I've found you again, I just don't know anymore."

"I don't want you to feel obligated to stay with me. I'm alright. I think I'll stay a little longer. Maybe not around here, but in the general area. And then I think I might start to look for the other part of my family. You can leave. We can just come up with something to stay in touch."

"I don't like the idea of leaving you again on your own. But I understand. You still have a father out there."

"Yes. And another brother."

"Yeah, another brother. Ethan, you need to do me a favour. When you find them, when you find Jarod, don't tell him about this, about me."

"Why not?"

"Because she forgot to say goodbye." This answer startled them both and they turned around only to see the pretender standing a few yards away.