Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

From the time they had gotten to the police station and to when Syd drove her home, the situation had gone from bad to worse. They police had no leads and Sydney had just gotten Miss Parker out of there in time to save the lives of a few good...well a few cops anyway.

He led her into her house and stopped dead when he caught sight of the man sitting on the couch waiting for them.

"Jarod." Sydney said then the happiness in his voice turned to worry when he felt Miss Parker tense by his side. Before anyone knew it, Miss Parker's gun was drawn and pointed directly at Jarod's head.

"Where is my daughter?" Miss Parker growled advancing towards him, her gun and eyes never leaving his face.

Jarod looked up into Miss Parker's face and caught her gaze. He immediately saw what Broots had been talking about. There was a crazed look in her eyes, one he had seen too many times by people who had lost loved ones and felt complete terror. Even with all those opportunities she had ever had to shoot him and never done so, he knew that she would shoot him now if she had even the slightest inclination that he was involved with taking her daughter.

"Miss Parker, listen to me." Jarod said his gaze never leaving hers and raising his hands in the air. "I had nothing to do with Catie's disappearance. After what I went through, I would never take a child away from a mother who loves them as much as you love Catherine. If you ever had to trust me, now would be that time. Listen to your heart, what is it telling you?"

After a few agonizing moments the glazed look on Miss Parker's face changed to one of pain and her arm lowered. Jarod and Sydney let out the breaths they had been holding and watched as Miss Parker looked around the room. She almost seemed to be looking for sign Catie was actually in the house and it had all been a bad dream.

It was in that moment she caught sight of Catie's teddy bear on the armchair. Miss Parker crossed over to reach it and with empathy on their faces Jarod and Syd watched her drop to her knees and clutch the bear to her chest. They observed helplessly as she rocked back and forth on her knees, shoulders shaking with the fierce sobs that escaped her body. As the cries began to subside, Jarod moved over to where she knelt by the fireplace and lifted her into his arms as if she were as light as a feather. He felt her head bury into his leather jacket and her lean form tremble.

His ears caught the phrase "I want my baby. God, please give me back my baby" repeated over and over in a weak and helpless voice.

In any other situation he would have found himself calling a proctologist about a 5-inch heel stuck in his ass, but she was apparently too emotionally spent to realize that she was in her prey's arms, let alone care. Jarod carried her into the bedroom and reluctantly laid her down onto her bed, gently. His arms felt empty almost immediately and he felt a sense of loss he hadn't remember feeling before. It was as if when she was in his arms that that is where she was supposed to be.

Shaking it off he watched as Sydney, who had followed him with a small medical kit, give Miss Parker an injection in her left arm. She gave a small cry of discomfort when the sharp needle was embedded in her arm, but her face finally relaxed in slumber by the help of the small sedative Sydney had given her.

Sydney left the room to go make some coffee, leaving Jarod alone with Miss Parker. Jarod noticed, sadly, that even in the beginnings of a dreamless sleep, tears flowed down her face and continued to make a dark spot on the light blue pillowcase. Wiping them away, Jarod covered the sleeping woman and brushed his hand down her face lightly.

"Catie." she muttered the defeat in her voice striking Jarod's heart. He felt immense hate towards the people who had taken her daughter from her and who made the strongest woman he had ever known have to grieve like that in front of witnesses.

After raking his gaze over her once again to ensure she was completely under the drug's influence, he then followed Syd's example and left the room, leaving the door cracked in case she woke up. Sydney was getting two mugs out of the cabinets when Jarod entered the kitchen and he turned to face the younger man.

"Why are you here, Jarod?" Sydney asked placing the dark blue mug in front of Jarod and he kept the dark green one for himself.

"You remembered my favorite color." Jarod said more matter-of-factly instead of asking.

"Answer my question, Jarod." Sydney said tilting his head and pouring the hot coffee.

"I don't know, Syd. I know I should just stay out of it, out of her life, but I can't. I don't why, Sydney. I just can't help remembering that little girl that I once knew. The one who smiled and laughed, and had memories of pain, but was starting to heal. The Centre took that healing process away from her and took her away from me." Jarod said wrapping his hands around the hot cup ignoring the burning sensation on his palms.

"Are you sure that's the only reason, Jarod?" Sydney asked sipping the hot liquid and staring straight into his pupil's eyes.

Jarod just sighed and glanced away. Sydney always could tell when Jarod was holding back and being away from him these past years hadn't dulled that insight. After a couple of silent minutes Jarod gave in.
"There is a connection between us, Syd. Between Miss Parker and I. Something even fear of Centre can't break. I'm so scared of that bond, but I know inside I would give anything to find my family and then..."

"And then?" Syd prodded.

"Recently I've been having this dream where I am reunited with my family and we are at a family barbecue. I am on a porch laughing at something someone has said. I hear my name being called and I look up. I see Miss Parker coming towards me with Catie holding her hand and they both have a huge smile on their faces. And it's just for me. Catie calls me 'Daddy' and climbs into my lap and Miss Parker..." Jarod trailed off embarrassed at the thought of telling Syd that Miss Parker kissed him at this part.

Sydney sighed, placed his hand over Jarod's and just squeezed. He gave no lectures, no comments, no advice. But in that one gesture he gave Jarod a sense of reassurance that he had missed after waking from those dreams.

He glanced at the kitchen clock and was surprised to see that an hour and a half had passed since Sydney had given Miss Parker the sedative. Knowing that it had only been a very mild one, he suggested that they go see if she had awoken yet. Jarod peeked into the room and noticed that she was now sitting on the edge of the bed, still holding the teddy bear to her tightly. She was playing with the edge of a small white lace nightgown that was lying on the bed next to her, waiting for the tiny girl who would not be wearing it tonight.

Before either man could speak her own voice broke the silence.

"We bought this the first weekend she was here." Miss Parker's voice was tiny and she almost sounded as though she was speaking on automatic pilot; not to anyone in particular, but just to talk, to rid the air of it's unwanted silence.

"She was so excited. It was the first thing we had ever bought together. She told me that she would wear this to bed every night, because I bought it for her. Because it had come from her mother." Her voice cracked on the last part and her fingers froze in their graceful movements over the delicate looking garment. Miss Parker looked up at Jarod and Sydney in the doorframe, her eyes bright and pleading.

"I have to get her back. If I don't..." she trailed off, her eyes flickering over to the nightstand.

Jarod followed her gaze and stood up straight when he noticed her gun sitting quietly on top of the table by her bed. He glanced quickly at Sydney and then walked over to crouch down in front of Miss Parker.

"We will get her back, Miss Parker." He saw the brief flicker of hope in her eyes then watched it die as quickly as it came. They both knew that she had seen too many promises broken to believe any more, no matter how deeply she wanted to.

Before he could give her any more reassurances his laptop beeped, signaling he had mail. Jarod looked into the den, surprised. He had forgotten that he had setup the machine on the coffee table and he got up see what the e-mail said.

The e-mail was already brought up on the screen, waiting to be opened and he gasped inwardly as he read it. Then, just as he finished reading it and was going to show it to Miss Parker and Sydney, it disappeared. He began to frantically try and retrieve it, but to no avail. Nonetheless he turned to face the other two adults with a victorious look on his face.

"I know where she is." he said rising, a plan already forming in his genius mind.

**********************************************************************

"Jarod, I'm going with you. I can't just sit here and wait, you know I can't." Miss Parker said arguing her point with him for the umpteenth time. He had been royally pissed off when he heard her voice in his ear moments ago, just before he was going to break into the place that held Catie. Apparently she had followed him there and he knew that he had a snowball's chance in hell of making her change her mind. In fact, her eyes caught and held his and he knew without a doubt that if he didn't take her she would go in after him, alone. Truth was, she would be useful as a lookout while he got to Catie. Jarod nodded reluctantly and motioned for her to follow him.

"You go in the normal entrance and I'll meet you in your office." Jarod said waving her around the corner of the Centre.

"Jarod..." Miss Parker said warning in her voice.

"I promise. I won't find Catie without you. Now hurry." Jarod said quickly and watched as she made her way into the building. Jarod ran around to the manhole he usually used to get in and out of the Centre. Ten minutes later he was sliding along the vents of the Centre and found himself in Miss Parker's office. He watched Miss Parker from the shadows for a few seconds as she paced the office floor clutching a photograph to her chest. He could see her gun was on her hip and the clasp was undone. She was ready to shoot her way to her daughter if necessary and they both knew it. Jarod stepped out of the shadows and cleared his throat. Miss Parker jumped, her hand reaching for her gun. Seeing it was only Jarod she relaxed slightly and hurriedly put the photo in her jacket pocket, but kept her hand on her gun.

"You ready?" She asked, voice more steady than she felt. Jarod nodded and waved for her to follow him. They wound around corridors just as Miss Parker had done the first time she had searched for Catie. Miss Parker wanted to ask Jarod how he knew where he was going, but didn't dare speak up in case her voice carried and they were found out. Jarod stopped in front of a short staircase leading down into another sub level.
"Stay here. I have to go figure out the door code and you'd only get in the way. I'll be back in about ten minutes and then we only have less than five before all hell breaks loose, so be ready!"

"Wait, Jarod. She might not go to you right away, so show her this." She held up a diamond ring on a thin gold chain. The main stone was between two marquisette halves and Jarod recognized it immediately as Catherine Parker's wedding ring. Jarod remembered he had given it to her out of one of her mother's safe deposit boxes. In fact, a hurricane in Florida popped into his head and he smiled despite of the situation.

"She will go with you then." Miss Parker finished.

He took the delicate looking piece of jewelry from her and at Miss Parker's nod Jarod ran down the stairs and found himself in a tiny corridor. There were about four rooms on either side of him each with a porthole window. He glanced into each one before arriving at the far left room. There on a standard issue gray cot was Catie curled up into a little ball, lying so still. Jarod figured the door code out with minimum difficulty and opened the heavy door.

Catie sat up on the cot and stared at Jarod with wide and frightened eyes. Jarod put his finger to his lips and quickly knelt in front of the scared child.

"My name is Jarod and I'm going to get you out of here, okay?" Catie looked at him as if he had two heads and slid back a little. "Your mom is waiting for us upstairs so we have to hurry, Catie."

The little girl just pulled her knees up to her chest and rocked slightly. Jarod took out the necklace and put it around her neck. Catie's tiny hands trembled as she held glittering ring in the palm of her hand.

"Mama?" Catie whispered in disbelief.

When Jarod nodded Catie quickly latched onto his neck and clung to him hard. Jarod hastily flew out of the room and began up the stairs. When he reached the top he spied Miss Parker keeping watch around the corner.

"Mama!" Catie cried and began to wiggle to get down. Miss Parker turned around and her face lit up.

"Catie!" As she and Catie made their way toward each other time seemed to slow down and Jarod looked up to see Mr. Raines with a few of his men enter the hallway.

Miss Parker saw Jarod's look and glanced over her shoulder. Catching a glimpse of them too, she whirled to fire her gun at the same time screaming at Jarod, "Get Catie out of here!"

Jarod's arm, of it's own accord, whipped out, snatched Catie around the waist, and picked her up again. A second shot rang out and Jarod saw the bullet hit Miss Parker in the left shoulder. As she went down he heard her yell out, "Get out of here. I'll find you. Go!"

Knowing his first duty was to keep Catie safe, Jarod turned around and ran. Catie began to cry and scream hysterically and her tiny hands clawed at him to put her down. He ran to the end of the hallway and turned quickly down another. Bursting through the door that was at the end of the hall, he felt a blast of air hit him and he knew he was outside. He ran towards the car he had planned to be waiting and placed Catie in the passenger seat and then jumped into the driver's seat.

Catie was still sobbing and frantically trying to get out of the car. Jarod locked the doors and put the driver's side control on and peeled out of the Centre's gate just before they shut it with a loud bang. How Jarod managed to reach over and buckle Catie into the passenger seat and still get onto the highway in one piece, he'll never figure out, but he accomplished it. As Jarod drove away from Blue Cove he swore to himself he would protect Catie with everything he had until he could give her back to Miss Parker.