Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +





"Well," Jarod drawled lightly, "this is where you get off."

Parker, marveling at the structure's mangled wall through night vision binoculars, lifted her eyebrows, and murmured a quiet, "Pardon?"

Silly, Jarod. I can get off whenever, and with whomever, I want.

"Unless, of course, you're dissatisfied with the results," he added, watching Parker's face intently.

"No," Parker said, returning the binoculars to Jarod. "The wall fell, like you said it would, and just like Bobby's wall will in six hours."

"Then this concludes your involvement in Operation Kill Broots," Jarod announced, reaching into the car. He dropped the binoculars into the driver's seat, and dimmed the car's headlights. "Those two sets of headlights in the distance are Dad and Isaac."

"Isaac?" Parker asked.

"The driver of the limo that you reserved four days ago."

"Mm, funny," purred Parker, her voice dry, and flat. "I don't recall reserving a limo."

"No, and you don't recall spending the weekend at the Hot Springs Bed and Breakfast either, but your credit card statement and airport surveillance will make rather compelling arguments to the contrary, and corroborate your iron-clad cover story."

"Mm, your family hacked into the Centre's travel logs, and discovered my favorite weekend retreat."

"Yes," Jarod confessed. "Perhaps when you're in charge you'll consider implementing a more secure firewall."

"It's bold of you to assume that I'll ever be running the asylum, Jarod, but I'll take your suggestion under advisement."

"Good. You'll find your receipts in the limo, along with your carry-on trunk."

"Of course," Parker said with a nod of resignation. "They broke into my home, too."

"No," Jarod corrected Parker gently, "your keys were in the sedan that you procured from the garage. Look, you should maybe consider familiarizing yourself with the receipts, and, if possible, take a nap before going into work."

A weary smile tugged at Parker's lips. "You didn't need me for any of this."

"No, of course not," Jarod agreed. And disagreed. "And yes, absolutely. I knew you wanted to be involved, and wouldn't be talked out of it."

"You wanted to keep an eye on me."

"I suppose you can say that I was afraid you would do something we'd all regret."

"Like put a cap in Bobby's cannibalistic ass or string him up by his bal-"

"Now, now," Jarod interrupted, "I'm sure you would never do something like that. I trusted you. I've always trusted you, however, as a precaution, I used your need for control to the advantage of this mission."

"You wanted to keep me out of the way."

"Initially, I had hoped that you wouldn't get in your own way, do something that might jeopardize the mission. Fortunately, you weren't beyond reason, and my trust in you was, once again, justified. I enjoyed your company, assistance, and valuable input. Our time together wasn't too unpleasant for you, I hope. Was it?"

"No," Parker answered, adding hastily, "surprisingly."

"I'm glad to hear that," Jarod said, reaching into a coat pocket. "I hope this won't change your mind," he whispered, offering Parker an envelope. "From Broots."

Parker contemplated the offering, and exhaled a breath that, in the cold air, swirled like cigarette smoke. "He's gone, isn't he? On a jet to some undisclosed location?"

"I know you wanted to say goodbye. I'm sure Debbie would want the same. This isn't what Broots wanted either," Jarod explained in a tight, consoling voice. "This is the way it had to be. He's safe, alive. That was the goal, it's what I promised you, and I'm committed to honoring my promises to you. Broots is grateful- grateful for all you've done, and for all that you will do for his daughter in his absence."

"Let me guess," Parker said, shuddering in the pre-dawn gray, "he knows that trying to contact me could jeopardize your family's life. I bet your father made that abundantly clear to him."

"Broots was apprised of the dangers, yes, and and I'm confident he won't reach out to anyone, but Dad had nothing to do with providing Broots any clarity on that matter. Dad's a teddy bear. Mom-- hmm, not so much; she knows her way around a crossbow, and can be rather persuasive, and she'll be here soon, too. You're going to want to leave before she arrives."

"And that's it?" Parker asked, accepting the envelope, and turning.

"That's it," Jarod answered. "Uh, for now," he amended, and observed Parker's stride falter.

"For now," Parker repeated with some incredulity. "What the hell does that mean?"

"You owe me one," Jarod answered softly. "Don't forget that."

"I offered you half a million ones," Parker reminded tartly, shrugging out of Jarod's coat.

"Yes, and you'll find all five hundred thousand of your ones in the limo, inside your carry-on. I don't want your money. Please, wear the coat home. It's freezing. I have several. Isaac will return it me."

Parker hesitated briefly, and, after a moment, gathered the coat around her, sank into its warmth. "I don't want the money. Take it," she insisted. "Please."

"No, I can't do that."

"Take the fucking money, J-"

"No," Jarod interrupted sharply. "Look, I'm sorry that this is causing you so much distress, but you-- you're just going to have to learn to get comfortable with owing me."

"Why?" Parker asked.

"Because at the moment there's nothing I need from you," he answered simply, adding sternly, "but, eventually, I will call in the favor."

"Sorry to interrupt, Prince Charming," Isaac sang behind Parker, "but the ball's over, and the meter's running on this carriage. By the way, Cinderella, I'll be happy to take that money off your hands."

Parker tore her gaze from Jarod's, and studied the man holding open the door. "Mm, nice heels," she said.

"Thank you," Isaac replied sweetly, observing the brunette's swift approach. "Yours, too," he said amiably when Parker slid into the back seat. He closed the door and addressed Jarod with a wink, "Don't look so worried, Baby, I'll get her home safely."

"Straight home, Isaac," Jarod commanded. "Don't make any stops."

"Aw, and here I was thinking that me and Cinderella would take the scenic route, and do some early morning shopping on Michigan Avenue. You know how much I love a shopping spree."

"Isaac," Jarod cautioned.

"I know the drill, baby," Isaac said, thrusting a gold painted fingernail at Jarod. "Straight home, no stops, eyes open, stand by until the not-so-big bang. You have nothing to worry about."


"Then why am I so worried," pondered Jarod when the limousine pulled away.



 





Chapter End Notes:

There is a follow up to this; it's missing, and possibly incomplete. I might have to retype it. (needless to say) Things don't go exactly the way Jarod wanted things to go.