Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Chapter 28

 

            The next morning Miss Parker found Jarod in the kitchen.  He was standing at the counter, his back to her, looking in one of the upper cabinets.  She hesitated in the doorway, content to just watch him for a moment.  While she was clad only in his black tee shirt from the day before, she noticed that he was fully dressed, sporting a shirt identical to the one she wore with his usual matching tight pair of jeans.  She knew life on the run necessitated a sparse wardrobe and thought it was a good thing you could never go wrong with basic black, especially when you wore it as well as he did.

            Deciding she’d enjoyed the view long enough, she padded into the sun-splashed kitchen, the tile floor cool against her bare feet.  Jarod glanced over his shoulder, his face lighting up at the sight of her.  His expression reminded her of when they were children and he’d always looked happy to see her; she’d secretly enjoyed the special way that had made her feel back then.  But last night she’d gotten to know Jarod the man and much preferred the way he had made her feel.

            “Good morning,” he said.  “Would you like some breakfast?”

            His casual tone put her at ease.  “Glad we’re not going to have any of that ‘morning after’ awkwardness,” she said.

            He looked slightly puzzled.  “Morning after?”

            Oh, dear God.  “Jarod, you weren’t a… I mean, this wasn’t your first…?”  Miss Parker realized she was the one sounding like a bumbling teenager.  “You’ve had experience, right?” she finally managed to get out.  Even as she asked the question, she thought, of course, he has, there was that Argentinian woman…

            “Experience?  Ohh… yes, yes, I’ve had experience.”  He suddenly looked flushed and quickly turned back to the open cabinet to busily sort through the contents.  But a few seconds later he asked in a small voice: “Why?  Wasn’t I…?  Did I do something wrong?”

            Now he sounded like that little boy she’d known so long ago.  Damn, she was creating the awkwardness she’d hoped to avoid.  Miss Parker crossed to Jarod in a few quick strides and slid her arms around his waist.  Without the benefit of shoes, she had to rise slightly up on her toes to rest her chin on his shoulder.  “You were great,” she murmured in his ear.  Actually, he’d been damn near fantastic, but she wasn’t going to tell him that and swell his ego even more.

            She could feel some of the tension leave his back.  He turned within the circle of her arms and tenderly brushed a tendril of hair from her face.  “We were great together,” he said and kissed her lightly.

            Then he stepped out of her embrace and reached again into the cupboard, this time selecting a specific item.  “So, how about some breakfast?   Are you hungry?”

            Oh, she was hungry… but not for food.  Even that gentle kiss from him had sent pleasant tingles all the way down to her toes.  She tried to focus on the box he was holding up.  “Are those… Pop-Tarts?”

            “Yes.  They have eleven essential vitamins and minerals.  Plus they’re delicious.”  He pulled a packet out and and walked over to the toaster.

            “No, thanks,” she said.  “I usually just have coffee in the morning.”  Although she did have more of an appetite this morning, frozen pastries didn’t quite appeal to her.

            Jarod set the Pop-Tart aside.  “I’ll make you some,” he said and walked over to the stove to retrieve the blue kettle that matched the color of the flowered wallpaper and the curtains over the sink.

            Miss Parker suddenly felt uncomfortable by the domestic nature of this scene.  “No, no, you go ahead and enjoy your breakfast,” she said hurriedly.  “I’ll get some coffee later.  Right now I think I’ll take a shower.”  She started to leave the room but paused in the doorway and looked back at him, struck by an irresistible notion.  “Care to join me?”

            He looked thoughtful.  “That’s a good idea,” he said.  “During the current drought, it makes sense to conserve water.”

            How could someone with the skills he’d demonstrated last night also be so clueless?  “Showering with a friend can also be a lot of fun,” she said with a smile she hoped Jarod would recognize as seductive.

            Realization dawned, and he blushed again, a surprising trait that she found endearing.  “Ohhh.”  He smiled back.  “I believe I could use a shower.”  He headed her way.

            Miss Parker liked the thought of being able to teach Jarod something new.  She grabbed his hand and tugged him upstairs, eager for the lesson to begin.

 

            Neither one of them got any breakfast.  After a long shower that did nothing to conserve water (not that Jarod seemed to mind), Miss Parker had gone back to bed and immediately fallen into a dreamless sleep.  She awoke much later feeling more rested than she had in a long time.

            And famished.  It was lunchtime, and just coffee wouldn’t do.  A note on the bedside table in Jarod’s handwriting proved that he was ready to meet another one of her needs: Please join me outside for a picnic.

            A picnic?  How quaint.  She hadn’t paid much attention to the weather today – being occupied with pleasant indoor activities – but a quick glance out the window showed a cloudless sky.  A light breeze stirred the curtains.  Lunch outdoors suddenly seemed like a good idea.  When in the country…

            She dressed quickly, having to admit that the tank tops and jeans were more comfortable than silk blouses and tight leather skirts.  And, as an unexpected bonus, the casual attire hadn’t made her any less attractive to Jarod.

            Outside, she instantly spotted the red blanket spread out under a large tree down by the pond, so she headed that way.  Seeing the man in black reclining on the ground seemed strange; she couldn’t get used to a relaxed Jarod.

            The welcoming smile he turned on her as she approached was also something new.  He got to his feet and gestured to the set-up with an almost apologetic air.  “I hope you don’t mind all this,” he said.  “I’ve just always wanted to go on a picnic.”

            There was the wistful little boy again.  Miss Parker certainly wasn’t going to deny him this simple pleasure.  “Fine with me,” she said.  “It’s a beautiful day for eating outside.”  She just hoped he wasn’t expecting a lesson in picnic etiquette; she could demonstrate the benefits of showering with a friend but knowing the proper way to eat fried chicken without getting grease on your clothes or being attacked by ants was beyond her scope of expertise.  She was no girl scout.

            It didn’t look like Jarod needed any help in setting the scene.  A traditional picnic basket complete with wood handles and braided wood sides anchored one corner of the red-checkered blanket.  He’d probably approached the whole experience as a simulation, she guessed, so every detail would have to be perfect.  She wouldn’t be surprised if the birds in the trees serenaded them as if on cue.

As she settled herself on the blanket, she was struck by a memory from her childhood.  It had been on a summer day much like this, under a very similar tree, that she and her mother had enjoyed a picnic.  Miss Parker remembered feeling special, safe and loved, as she always had when with her mother.  On that particular afternoon, as mother and daughter had indulged in their usual girl talk, she’d asked, “Mama, will I ever find someone to love?”  Her mother had said something along the lines of she thought she would one day, and as Jarod took a seat next to her on the blanket, Miss Parker wondered if that day had finally arrived.

Then she put a silly girl’s dreams out of her mind and concentrated on more practical matters like filling her empty stomach.  She cast a quick glance over the food attractively displayed on the blanket.  “Where did you get all this?” she asked.  She knew Jarod wouldn’t have left her alone to go shopping, and she doubted there was a restaurant in this small town that delivered anything but pizza.

            “I called the caretaker on our drive up here and asked him to buy some supplies.”  He paused then added, “I also told him to take some time off, so we’re completely alone here.”

            She was certain he had only been thinking of her safety when he sent his employee on vacation, but she appreciated the privacy for a totally different reason now.  When she and Jarod had finally let their passion overtake them, they hadn’t been exactly quiet about it; good to know there’d been no one within earshot.

            Just thinking about last night (and this morning) made her yearn for something that wasn’t laid out on the picnic blanket (unless she counted the attractive man sitting to her right), but no matter how isolated they were on this farm, she wasn’t about to satisfy those urges out here in the open.  She concentrated on her stomach and its cravings.

            “Well, I’m starving,” she said, taking a paper plate and fork and reaching for a piece of pinkish meat carved in a rectangular shape.  “What kind of meat is this?

            “Spam.”

            She quickly let the slab slide off her fork and back onto the serving plate.

            Jarod frowned.  “You don’t like Spam?”

            “I’ve never had it,” she admitted.  And she wasn’t going to try it now.

            “Oh, it’s delicious.”  Jarod helped himself to a slice.

            “I’ll take your word for it.”  She chose something a little safer: a cracker spread with cheese.  The sharp taste was pleasant, but she didn’t think she’d ever had this variety before.  “Hm.  What kind of cheese is this?  Some type of cheddar?”

            Jarod swallowed a bite of Spam before replying, “I’m not sure.  Let me check.”  He reached into the picnic basket and pulled out a can.  He started to study the ingredients printed on the side.

            Cheese from a can?  Miss Parker thought she might choke.  She swallowed quickly and said, “Never mind.”

            “Do you want something to drink?”  He offered her a Dr. Pepper soda.

            “Water’s fine, thanks.”  She grabbed one of the bottles of spring water and took a sip then eyed the rest of the buffet with trepidation.  So that bowl of red liquid was probably not some sort of exotic chilled soup but…

            “Jell-O,” Jarod said when he saw her looking at it.  “There’s also ice cream in the kitchen freezer if you prefer or my personal favorite…”  He held out a platter of éclair-shaped pastries.  “Twinkies!”

            O-kay.  Say hello to Jarod the junk food aficionado.  How she wished this was just another one of his Pretends, but she had the sinking feeling that this was his true self. 

            He set the plate of Twinkies down.  “You don’t like it,” he said, disappointed.

            She hadn’t intended to hurt his feelings.  “It’s just not what I’m used to,” she said.  She thought longingly of softened Brie on stone wheat crackers and strawberries with whipped cream… and then thought she was acting like a snob.  She took another cracker to prove to Jarod and herself that she wasn’t.  “Do you eat… food like this all the time?”

            “Yes.”

            She had to ask.  “How do you stay in such good shape?”  She knew from recent close observation that he didn’t have an ounce of extra fat anywhere on his body.  “You must work out, right?”

            He shook his head.  “Only when I’ve been a personal trainer or fitness instructor.”  Then he gave her a sly grin.  “I guess trying to stay one step ahead of you and the Centre Sweepers has kept me pretty fit.”

            “Oh, really?”  She leaned towards him and, placing one hand on his chest, gave a slight shove that easily toppled him onto his back.  “What will happen now that I’ve caught you?” she murmured, bending over him and playing with locks of his dark hair which she found irresistible now that he’d let it grow longer.  “Maybe you’ll become fat, dumb, and happy,” she added in a teasing tone.

            Jarod certainly looked perfectly content as he slid his arms around her waist and drew her even closer.  “I’d gladly accept being overweight and having a low IQ,” he said, “if it means I’d be happy.  Which I will be, as long as I have you by my side.”

            He spoke lightly, but Miss Parker caught the serious undertone.  She didn’t want to be serious, not right now.  She wanted to have one day when she could just enjoy herself and forget about everything else.

            “But I like you just the way you are,” she said huskily, “so I guess we’ll have to figure out another way for you to burn some calories.”  She slid her hands slowly over his broad shoulders, savoring the feel of his hard muscles under the fabric of his shirt.

            Jarod showed dimples she never knew he had and said, “Just what do you have in mind, Miss Parker?” Then he added thoughtfully, “Maybe I shouldn’t call you that anymore.  How about…” He whispered her detested first name in her ear.

            What had possessed her to share that secret with him when they were children?  She gave him a mock glare and playfully swatted his arm.  “Don’t you dare!”

            His brown eyes dancing with delight, he framed her face with his warm, gentle hands and said, “You’re so beautiful.”

            When you’re angry.

            It was Lyle’s voice she heard.  And suddenly, it was Lyle’s pale blue eyes she saw, staring up at her then staring at nothing after she pulled the trigger…

            Miss Parker instinctively recoiled from the nightmarish vision, tearing free of Jarod’s embrace and scrambling to her feet.

            Alarmed by her reaction, he was also on his feet in an instant.  “What’s wrong?” he asked, his eyes scanning the area for threats.

            Damn it, where the hell had that come from?  “Nothing,” she said quickly, hating the tremor in her voice.  “There… there was a bee on your shoulder, but it’s gone now.” 

            His brow furrowed.  “Are you allergic?”

            She couldn’t believe the nonsense she was babbling and knew Jarod wasn’t buying it for a minute, but she couldn’t seem to stop the words from coming out of her mouth.  “No.  No, I had a bad experience as a child, that’s all.  Sorry.”  She forced a self-deprecating laugh.  “Why don’t I get us some ice cream?  I’ll be right back.”  She hurried away before he could demand to know what had really spooked her.

 

            Miss Parker stared at her reflection in the bathroom mirror and wished Broots had grabbed a few items from her dressing table when he’d done his surreptitious packing.  The fresh-faced country look certainly hadn’t turned Jarod off, but tonight she really wanted to turn him on.

            The “bee” incident had effectively ruined the playful mood they’d both been in at the start of their picnic.  She’d enjoyed their easy banter – something she’d never dreamed she’d experience with Jarod – and had been sorry for it to end.  If only she hadn’t had that damn hallucination or memory or whatever the hell it was…

            No, she was not going to think about that right now.  She was determined to finish this day the way it had begun – in an extremely satisfying way.  Hopefully this black negligee that Broots had inexplicably packed for her would help accomplish her goal.  Without some spicy red lipstick, smoky eye shadow or dramatic lashes to complete the look, she needed Jarod’s attention to be drawn to her body and not her face.  If this sexy little number she was wearing couldn’t do that, nothing could.

            She’d felt an unexpected stab of disappointment when Jarod had said goodnight a short while ago and gone to a room different from the bedroom they’d shared last night.  She couldn’t blame him, though; he was no doubt confused by the mixed signals she was sending him.  After she’d flipped out during their picnic, she’d kept her distance from him the rest of the day.  She hadn’t wanted him around in case she had another disturbing vision, hadn’t wanted him to start asking questions she couldn’t answer.  But he might have assumed she was avoiding him because she regretted their night together.

When, in fact, she wanted nothing more than to spend another night in his arms.  She had never felt so safe…

            She frowned at a sudden disturbing thought.  Did she only want to be with Jarod because he helped ward off the nightmares?

            No, it was more than that.  Last night had been incredible.  She had never felt like that with any man, and she wanted to feel that way again.

            She went out in the hall and was relieved to see a light under Jarod’s door.  Good, he was still awake.  She knocked softly, rewarded almost instantly by a low “come in.”

            She’d planned to pause in the doorway to give Jarod time to take in her outfit, but it was the sight of him reclining on the bed – bare-chested and wearing only pajama bottoms – that stopped her in her tracks.  She had to concentrate on her breathing to calm her suddenly racing heart.    

            God, she was acting like a lovesick teenager!  Steady, Parker, she told herself.  You’re supposed to seduce him, remember?  She did her best to casually deliver the line she’d prepared, “I guess Broots packed this so I’d have something to wear if I wanted to ‘slip into something a little more comfortable’.”  She gave a light laugh but wondered if Jarod was familiar with that cliché and would get her bad joke.

            There were those dimples again.  “I’ll have to thank Mr. Broots,” Jarod said, as his gaze traveled slowly over her body.

            Taking that as an invitation, Miss Parker hurried across the room and into Jarod’s waiting arms.