Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

EXT. ATLANTIC OCEAN – NIGHT


TITLE: ON THE WAY TO CARTHIS


Jarod and Andrew are on a boat. Jarod is doing all the heavy work.


ANDREW

You sure you do not want any help?


JAROD

I’m fine, don’t worry.


ANDREW

You are not calling me old, are you?


JAROD

You are old. There’s no use in denying that.


ANDREW

Old age does not necessary mean lack of strength or vice-versa, Jarod.

It all comes from these two places

(points to the heart)

here

(point to the head)

and here.

Never underestimate your opponent, no matter how weak, old and feeble he may seem.


JAROD

I won’t.


ANDREW

Still, there is one thing I don’t understand.


JAROD

What’s that?


ANDREW

Why have you not purchased a boat with an engine?


JAROD

Too noisy. Besides, I got a good price on this one. Plus, I didn’t have to register it.


ANDREW

You think there is someone on the island?


JAROD

After that last storm I’m sure most people returned to their homes.


ANDREW

I mean, from The Centre.


JAROD

That’s why we need to keep a low profile.



INT. THE CENTRE. LYLE’S OFFICE – DAY


Lyle is calmly eating some Chinese leftovers when Mr. Perrgodak (Jules) comes in unannounced. Lyle barely hides his fear, has to put the package down to avoid spilling.


Jules

I like your reaction, Mr. Lyle. Although in your case, I’m not sure if fear is a symbol of respect.


Lyle

(swallows, tries to look cool)

What can I do for you, sir?


Jules

(smiles)

Right to the point, hey?

You know... I’ve been watching, Mr. Lyle. For a very long time, now.

(walks closer to the desk)

I know all your secrets, all your leverages you have on The Centre and the Triumvirate and, quite frankly, I’m not the least bit interested.


Lyle

Sir, wha-


Jules raises his left hand, silencing Lyle instantly. Lyle tries to talk but he’s unable to, even breathing becomes harder.


Jules puts down his hand. Lyle tries to catch his breath.


Jules

As I was saying... I don’t care about what you know, or what you can do, understand?


Lyle nods.


Jules (cont.)

What I care about is whether or not your capable of fulfilling the assignment I’m about to give you.


Lyle

Sure. If you need anything I’m your man.


Jules

Prove yourself worthy and you might have a place in my new administration. Otherwise...


Lyle

What’s the assignment, sir?


Jules retrieves a small picture from his pocket and hands it over to Lyle.


Jules

I’ll be leaving to Carthis in a few minutes. While I’m gone, I want you to kill this man.



EXT. ATLANTIC OCEAN – NIGHT


The trip continues.


JAROD

What happened to your brother?


ANDREW

My brother... Michael was a troubled man. He had... a condition... double personality kind of thing... Not separated, all mixed up. I can not explain it because I never really understood it.

Some doctors thought it was a bipolar disorder, but it was much worse than that.


JAROD

How did he end up on the other side of the fence?


ANDREW

He did not. But he made them believe so.


JAROD

How?


ANDREW

We met Catherine a few years before she got married to Mr. Parker. At the time, our father was still leading the group. You see, since the foundation of The Centre, my group has tried his best to stay in the shadows and still undermine their malevolent influence.

We received information that The Centre had people watching Catherine and another girl. My father told us she was part of a Centre experiment. Our first impulse was to go over to her and tell her, but our father advised us to wait. There were more people involved and we needed to find out whom or instead of saving one we would endanger dozens.


JAROD

What experiment was it?


ANDREW

Something called the Green Files. It was initiated in 1927. We believe it is a follow up to another project launched in 1910 called Progeny.


JAROD

Catherine Parker was one of the subjects.


ANDREW

That is why he decided to make contact with her.

My brother was a researcher. He got a job on The Centre and began an inside investigation.

Me, Michael and Thomas, we were all together on this.


JAROD

Thomas?


ANDREW

We called him Tommy. Tommy Thompson. Michael recommended him to Catherine. Her husband was suspicious, but he eventually accepted it.


JAROD

Dr. Thompson was signed to work with another Pretender. Alex.


ANDREW

I know about Alex.


JAROD

What d’you know about him?


ANDREW

I know we failed to save him.


JAROD

You were going to rescue him?



ANDREW

Alex was the first of The Pretender Project, but he never got past the second place in the ranking. You were always number one. He resented that.

The four of us were supposed to rescue you, Eddie and Alex.

A week later, more children started to come. We could not do it alone. We needed more help.


JAROD

Jacob.


ANDREW

He tried to convince Sydney, but there was an accident.


JAROD

It was no accident, it was The Centre.


ANDREW

(nods)

We had to postpone everything.


JAROD

What I don't understand is why was Mr. Parker paying your brother to keep quiet?


ANDREW

He was not paying to keep him quiet. Mr. Parker was providing my brother with relevant information, information only he could have access to. The trick part was: in order to receive that information my brother had to play the Judas role.

At first he said no, but then they discovered his most precious secret. His family.


JAROD

They threatened to kill them unless he worked for them.


ANDREW

It was not as simple as that. They brainwashed him, Jarod. My brother became the very symbol of what we were trying to defeat.


JAROD

What was the project about?


ANDREW

We never knew for sure. We know it began before she was even born and followed her entire lifetime as a mechanism of control.

Her entire history is stored in files. It is a like a personal diary.


JAROD

Progeny.


ANDREW

We also know this: the Convent she grew up in was administered by The Centre. They were everywhere.


JAROD

Still are.


ANDREW

Even her family doctor worked for The Centre.


JAROD

Werner...


ANDREW

Who?


JAROD

Werner Krieg. He was a medical doctor, a butcher more likely, in Dachau. He performed experiments on twins.

Later on, I learned that he had been hired by The Centre. If my thoughts are correct, Sydney and Jacob must be part of the Green Files too.


ANDREW

And there are more. I am sure of it, though we do not know who they are.