Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

XIX – CATHERINE PARKER

A new purpose

 

 

You know you're not getting enough value when your story comes up AFTER the epilogue. It's like they forgot all about you, which was exactly what this author did. He has done many lousy things in this series, taking too much creative liberties, twisting character personalities, exaggerating small traits, but THIS outdoes it all.

What about putting you and Kyle in corpse form at Margaret's family dinner?

Go away! I told you: you are not to appear in this story! I don't want this to be like the rest!

I'm going! I'm going!

The lights in the room dimmed to a mid-glow and I waited for my cue to get into action. Madame Luane was performing the necessary theatrics before “summoning” the spirits, aka, me.

Like so many, if not all, of the characters in this show, my life has always revolved around The Centre. I really thought that after death I would get some rest. And I did... until my daughter discovered her inner sense. Soon after that I was sending signals and messages and stuff like that.

I know what you're going to ask: What about Ethan? He has heard me his entire life, right? Yes, along with hundreds of others. It was quite easy to stay back, in a matter of speaking, and let somebody else do the talking. That's probably why the kid was such a mess.

When he met Jarod on that subway train and Jarod told him that he should listen to my voice, he wasn't really listening to me. Lucky for them, whoever it was, it was a good influence.

Of course the big question now is why the need for an occupation if I'm not alive? For one thing, dead does not mean devoid of purpose. But more importantly, I spent decades hanging around these people because of The Centre; now that it's gone, I need to know if I can make it on my own.

Being a fan of technology, I thought about becoming one of those spirits that possess domestic appliances. I tried being a voice on a GPS, but I soon reached the conclusion that most of my indications were either being ignored or misinterpreted.

Your destiny is just ahead.”

Should I turn left or right?”

Follow your heart.”

Left or right, damnit?!”

So, here I am.

If you are here, come forth!” said Madame Luanne.

That's my cue. By the way, I wasn't stalling. She really takes this long to summon me. It's part of the show.

What?” I asked in a sharp tone. My daughter got that from me.

Spirits of the deceased... are you there?”

Yes! Let's get this over, already!”

Eternity has not taught me how to be patient. It should have, but it hasn't.

This is Humming Bird Bull...”

Humming...” I tried to repeat the name, but I wasn't able to stop chuckling. “What kind of a name is that?”

He wants to give one message to his father.”

What's his name?”

Jonathan.”

That sure narrows it down.”

Jonathan Bull.”

I know who he is. Gimme a second.”

As I instantly traveled through the spirit realm, Madame Luanne tried to make small talk about the weather. Since the traveling took only an instant, she barely managed to utter a simple “So...” before I was able to find Jonathan Bull.

Hey, Joe!

Cathy! What's up?

Your son wants a word with you.

Again? Can't I have some peace?

Don't be like that. He says it's the last time.

He always says that. It never is. Besides, I don't think I'm his real father. Can't you tell him I'm no longer here?

What d'you mean? That you “passed over” or something?

I'm sure he would fall for it. He's that gullible.

I'm not very comfortable with lying.

Only delivering half truths, right?

I said nothing.

Fine... Take me to him.

And so I did.

While the son delivers his final message to his father, allow me to offer some comment on the lack of physical descriptions, both in terms of characters and of space. We are spirits without form, only voice, wandering in an endless white world. It's dull. But it saves us a lot of time with decorating and cleaning and picking out what to wear.

Sounds disappointing? Now you know why I stayed around so much, although I didn't have much of a spiritual participation until the end of season 4. I'd been one of the voices since I died. The third time, I mean. 1975, if I'm not mistaken. Raines' bullet got lodged in my brain, turned me into a vegetable, but it did not kill me. (The same thing happened to Mr. Parker, so it's not unheard of.)

Surprisingly enough, I died of natural causes. Of course, none of this matters – just stuff that would have been revealed if seasons 5 and 6 ever got made. Here's another revelation: Mr. Parker's mustache? It's fake. How trustworthy can a man with a fake mustache be?

Cathy! I'm all done!

Be with you in a minute, Joe!

I have to go now. Sorry for the lack of excitement in my story, but it's difficult to build danger with nothing but emptiness and silence. At least, now we can rest assured that The Centre is finally go--