Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Chapter 9 - Parker


Jarod hastily scribbled a note for Sydney and Ethan and left it propped against the coffee machine. Picking up his coat and leather gloves, he opened the door and closed it quietly after him and walked to the main exit. Shrugging on his coat, he stepped outside and felt an icy blast of cold wind whipping around his face as he made a quick dash to the SUV.

He felt completely energised by the four hours of solid sleep he'd managed and the hot shower had invigorated him, so much so, that he felt flutters of excitement at the prospect of seeing Parker again. ‘Or maybe it's nerves!' he thought.

Switching on the ignition, he drove out slowly, searching for the florist shop, tucked away down a side street that he'd noticed on the way back from the hospital.

‘I know its Sunday, but please be open!' he wished silently to himself.

Good luck smiled on him and he emerged with a dozen red roses beautifully wrapped in silver coloured cellophane, complete with a huge red bow.

Jarod arrived at the hospital and looked up at the gathering clouds overhead, a sure sign of more snow to come. Pulling up his collar, he took long strides to the entrance and then to the bank of elevators, his hand gripping hard on the bouquet of roses. He felt completely oblivious to the other visitors and hospital staff as they smiled at him. Irrationally, he felt so anxious to get to the fourth floor and to room 408 - he couldn't wait a second longer!

Knocking gently, he pushed the door open and called softly to her.

"Parker, it's me Jarod, are you awake?"

"Yeah, just about!" she replied softly, opening her eyes to look at him.

Jarod closed the door and walked across to the bed, placing the flowers on the over-bed table. He took off his coat and put it on the back of the chair and then turned to look at her.

He took in the plaster wrap on her right arm with just her fingers showing at the edge. It looked heavy and cumbersome, and he wondered how on earth she was going to manage simple things like getting showered and dressed. Parker would die at the frustration of not being able to do these things without help.

The thought of Parker in the shower ... ...getting dressed ... ...'Oh my God, stop thinking' he told himself!

He bent over the bed and gently kissed her forehead, his face cold against her warm skin. Sitting down again, he looked at her closely, taking in the ever-present bruises and the paleness of her skin. Her eyes were dull and heavy, evidence of the remaining drugs still in her system from the anaesthesia. Her left arm was still hooked up to the IV and he took hold of her hand, careful not to disturb the line.

"How are you feeling, now?"

"Still like I've been hit by a train!"

"You'll feel better tomorrow"

"Says who?" she asked cynically, turning her head slightly so that she could see him more clearly.

"Did Dr Khan explain everything to you regarding the procedure ... ...I haven't seen anyone yet, I just came straight in?"

"Yeah, apparently it went well and I now have three pins in my wrist keeping everything together and I'm supposed to keep this crap thing on my arm for at least six weeks!" she said, looking at her right arm, trying to move it.

"How the hell am I supposed to manage with this damned thing stuck on me?" she cried in frustration, tears forming at the corners of her eyes.

"Hey, come on Parker, enough of that!" replied Jarod sternly, "We'll work something out, don't worry. You won't have to manage on your own."

"Yeah, well, I'm allowed to feel sorry for myself!" she muttered stubbornly.

"I guess you're entitled" he added sympathetically.

"Where's Syd and Ethan; are they OK?" she asked.

"They are both OK, Parker; and sound asleep when I left them. We're staying at The Comfort Inn motel in Dover, but I guess Sydney will try and get back to Blue Cove later on this evening, after he's been in to see you. Ethan will be leaving soon - he has a job to do for me. When he leaves, I'll probably stay with Sydney"

Parker's face creased in frustration as she tried to shift her position; agitation making her cross. Jarod stood up and put his hands on her shoulders.

"Hold on a minute, I'll raise the backrest up and then you'll be more comfortable ... ... my God Parker, you're going to have to learn some patience!" he said laughing at her.

"That's not in my dictionary!" she snapped.

Jarod pressed the remote control and the backrest moved up so that Parker was propped in a half sitting position.

Sitting down again, Jarod took hold of her hand and squeezed it.

"Better?" he asked her, his eyes full of laughter.

"Yes ... ... mm thanks and um ... ... thanks for the flowers!" she added quietly.

"My pleasure!" he quipped.

Suddenly, Parker's face fell into sadness and she tried hard not to let tears fill her eyes.

"Is it true about Rosa? Did Lyle kill her," she asked tentatively.

Jarod gripped her hand tightly and he looked down at the bed covers, afraid of hurting her more.

"I'm sorry Parker, I wish I could say it wasn't true, but it is. She was shot either by Lyle or by Willie; it's not clear who actually pulled the trigger ... ... I'm arranging with Mr Cox for a proper burial and we won't have it until you are well enough. I thought perhaps you would like her next to your Mama ... ... would that be OK?"

Parker nodded and then she leaned back against the pillows, tears escaping from the corners of her eyes as she sighed and closed her eyes.

"I'm going to miss her so much, Jarod. I can't remember how many years she was with me ... ... she didn't deserve this ... ... the house will never be the same without her!"

"I know, Parker. You're right, she didn't deserve this. All I can say is that I'm so sorry."

Parker sighed and then she opened her eyes and looked directly at Jarod.

"The big question I have is about the Centre - I take it with Mr Cox in charge now ... ... I'm free?" she asked quietly.

"Yes, Parker, you are free to do whatever you want. I'm going to meet with Mr Cox tomorrow and I want to iron a few things out with him - I will be talking to him about some sort of compensation package for you and Sydney ... ... after all, you are now both unemployed. That's unless you want to do it yourself?"

"No, you do it for me Jarod. I don't want to speak to those bastards!" she replied vehemently, then added: "Make sure you screw him down and I want to keep MY car! Make sure you tell him that!"

"I will, I will!" he said, smiling again as the old Parker resurfaced.

Parker sighed again, and then she looked at Jarod's face. She saw the worry lines on his forehead and noticed the dark circles under his eyes and the tight lines around his mouth. Suddenly, she felt herself relax and then, squeezing his hand, she said:

"Jarod, I never said ‘thank you' for coming for me ... ... I'll never understand how you knew that I was missing nor will I ever know how you worked out where to find me, but ... ... I'm glad you did, thank you!"

"All part of the service, Parker!"

"Yeah, as Lyle said ... ... the knight in shining armour!" she said trying not to smile.

They were silent for a minute or so, each lost in their own thoughts. Parker looked up and said quietly in an even tone:

"Raines really IS dead, isn't he?"

"Yes Parker, he really IS dead!"

"Thank God! The old goat has come back from the dead so many times, I wanted to be sure!" she breathed with relief.

Jarod suddenly released her hand and he reached into his coat pocket for pen and paper.

"Parker, can you give me a list of what you want from home? You haven't anything here except hospital issue and I'm sure you'd like your own things? If you tell me what you want, I'll note it down and do my best, OK?"

"Thanks ... ...take Sydney with you ... ... I don't want you ogling through my underwear drawer... ... your imagination is already working overtime!"

"As if I would!" he replied, giving her a cheeky grin, the thought of searching through Parker's underwear drawer making his eyes shine and his heart race with steamy thoughts!

"OK, this is what I'll need for a couple of days".

She rattled off a page and a half of bits and pieces with Jarod scribbling and trying to keep up with her. ‘How can a woman need so much for just a couple of days?' he thought to himself.

"Have you got all that, Jarod?"

"Yeah ... ... I reckon about three large suitcases will do it!"

"You'll manage, Wonder Boy!"

Jarod put the list in his pocket and then he looked back at Parker. Catching her eye, he looked down nervously and picked up her hand again and studied her fingers resting in his palm. Long seconds of silence passed between them and then Jarod looked up. He wondered how much he dared say and he acknowledged that he was terrified of frightening her. She was such a strange mixture of fierce independence and vulnerability.

"I'm sorry I didn't call you Parker ... ... after that last phone call, when we got back from Carthis ... ... I wanted to ... ... I just didn't know what to say".

"I know, Jarod. It wasn't the right time for either of us. I think there's a lot we need to say to each other but not now. Let's leave it, OK?" Parker asked quietly.

He nodded gravely and then the door opened and the nurse came bustling in and she almost clucked when she saw Jarod sitting holding Parker's hand.

Jarod stood up and reached for his coat on the back of the chair. He bent down and kissed Parker's cheek chastely.

"I'll be back in later with these things, Parker. If you think of anything else, just call me. Try and get some rest."

With that, he turned and left.


* * * * *


Parker leaned back against the pillows and thought about Jarod. She smiled to herself when she thought about THAT kiss - she had responded to him, without really thinking, as if it had been the most natural thing in the world. If she closed her eyes she could almost feel his mouth on hers. Even in her hazy state, she had felt his warmth and his love in that kiss. She wished that they'd been on their own, without Sydney standing there, watching them.

‘He caught me by surprise, that's all there was to it!' she argued.

‘So, why does my heart turn somersaults every time I see him?' she asked herself.

So much had changed between them. Yet, hadn't she always known in her heart how much she cared for him? Hadn't she always known it since they were children, playing in the darkened halls of the Centre? So, what was different now?

Parker took a deep breath and tried to turn her thoughts away from him, to the events since Friday afternoon - ‘what the hell day was it now?' she thought. Sunday afternoon or was it evening? ‘Hell, I don't know!'

She couldn't remember what had happened after arriving home Friday afternoon. She couldn't remember seeing Lyle or Willie waiting for her ... ... they must have been there, somewhere.

‘It'll come back,' she thought.

Parker looked at the plaster wrap on her damaged arm and she tried to lift it off the bed, but couldn't. The pain had subsided considerably thanks to the medication she had been given but the damned thing was so heavy!

‘God, I must look a mess, face scrubbed of make-up, bruises all over. I must look as if I've had an argument with a train!'

Suddenly, her thoughts turned to Lyle. She felt a shudder pass through her as she visualised his manic face just before Mr Cox had arrived. She remembered that clearly. And the files! She'd forgotten about them. She wondered if Mr Cox would demand them back. Did she want to return them, now that she was free? They had been her insurance policy. Was Mr Cox in charge now? Hell, she didn't care who was in charge any more! She would have to get them from the safety deposit box in Dover - Jarod would have to do that. Perhaps she'd talk to him about the files when he came back in with her clothes.

‘Oh God, what am I doing?' I'm already putting off making decisions for myself and passing it off to Jarod ... ... as if he would know what's best! I used to be able to make these decisions MYSELF!'

She turned her thoughts back to Lyle again. Would he really have killed her? She knew, in her heart, what the answer was - that he'd completely gone over the edge. If Jarod hadn't found her in time ... ... She knew that she would never see Lyle again - she could never face him - not without fearing for her life. All she felt now was contempt and physical revulsion.

‘So, I'm free ... ... no more searching for Jarod ... ... no more living on my nerves ... ... living in fear of failure ... ... I can live my life the way I want ... ... Hell, what am I supposed to do now?' she thought.

With thoughts racing around her mind, she closed her eyes and finally slept.


* * * * *

 

Jarod pushed open the door of the bar and he looked for the secluded booth at the back, well away from the late lunchtime crowds. The bar was warm and busy, a popular meeting place for people enjoying a few minutes break from the tedium of everyday work.

Jarod sat down opposite Mr Cox, not bothering to take his coat off, catching the eye of the busy waitress.

Finally, sitting with a small glass of beer in front of him, he looked at Mr Cox.

"I take it we are alone here?" said Jarod, looking around nervously, trying to spot any obvious sweeper teams.

"Yes, it's just you and me, Jarod," he replied with a smile reaching his bright blue eyes, reflecting against the bronze of his African suntan.

Jarod visibly relaxed and he took a gulp of his beer, wiping his mouth with the napkin.

"I'd like to start by saying thanks for your co-operation regarding Lyle and Willie. We both know that I could have killed Lyle but I didn't want that to stand between Parker and myself - Willie, no problem - but not, Lyle. At the moment, she is very bitter towards him but in twenty years time, she may feel differently. I couldn't take that chance."

Mr Cox smiled and acknowledged Jarod's thanks.

"No problem, Jarod ... ... as we speak, Lyle and Willie are on their way to Africa. Lyle seems not to have realised that he has been ... ... shall we say ‘deposed' from the chairmanship. I'm afraid he's over the edge. It's very sad but given his upbringing, well ... ...!" he said blandly, picking up his small glass of whiskey.

"Incidentally, how is Ms Parker?" he asked.

"She's had surgery - three pins inserted into her wrist - that bastard Willie, he made a real mess of the bone but they've put it back together and she'll be fine. Thanks for asking."

Mr Cox nodded and he set his glass down in front of him. Reaching into his inside pocket, he withdrew two cheques, one for Parker and one for Sydney.

"The Triumverate have authorised me to advance these sums to both Ms Parker and Dr Green in lieu of ... ... shall we say, of termination of employment ... ...as you will see, both are for considerable sums of money which I think will more than compensate both parties for projected loss of income!

Jarod took the cheques and he raised his eyebrows at the amounts. He folded both and he put them in his jacket pocket.

"As far as you are concerned, Jarod, as Lyle said, the Pretender project is dead and buried ... ... there is no amount of money I can give you that will mean more to you than your freedom," he said in a serious tone and then added with a hint of humour ... ... "Besides which, whatever money you want or need, you'll probably transfer it from the Centre account to your's, without asking, so it makes no difference! Let's say, I will be turning a blind eye, within reason!"

Jarod smiled at the description of himself and he nodded acceptance.

"Parker says she wants to keep her car, is that OK?"

"Yes, no problem. Admin will take care of the paperwork".

Jarod paused and he looked down into the beer and the small amount of foam left on the surface. Idly, he traced his finger in it and then he looked up at Mr Cox and said:

"Two small requests ... ...one is that you release Angelo into the care of Sydney and secondly, you terminate the employment of Mr Broots, with compensation, of course. You must remember him, the tech guy who was part of Miss Parker's team?"

Mr Cox nodded and said to Jarod:

"Consider it done. In return, I have a small request for you ... ... I would like the files that Ms Parker ... ... shall we say ... ... ‘borrowed' from the Centre to be returned. I know you don't have them, Jarod, but perhaps you could persuade Ms Parker?"

"No problem, I guess she won't need the leverage any more, will she!"

"No"

Mr Cox took another small mouthful of his whiskey, grimacing slightly as it burnt his throat. Setting the glass down carefully, he started to explain to Jarod.

"The Centre is about to undergo a radical change - now that the Parker family is no more and Mr Raines is dead, the Triumverate are anxious to ... ... shall we say ... ... find more respectable avenues of income. I'm not saying it's going to happen overnight but there is a ‘sweep clean' attitude and I'm hopeful that with the new Ethics Committee, some of the more dubious projects will never be allowed to materialise again."

Mr Cox stared directly at Jarod and with a slight smile in his voice, he asked:

"What will you do, Jarod, now that the Centre won't be chasing you across the country? Do your plans include Ms Parker?"

"It's not up to me, Mr Cox, but I hope so! As for the plans, it's early days! I take it that the Triumverate have appointed you as the Chairman?"

"Yes, but for the interim period only. The next Chairman will be appointed through the normal democratic process."

Jarod stood up and held out his hand to Mr Cox. With finality, they shook hands across the table, Jarod nodded to him, and then he headed out of the bar, to the car park, without a backward glance.

 

* * * * *


Eight days later, on a bitterly cold afternoon, Parker stood alongside Jarod and Sydney as Rosa was laid to rest next to her Mama's grave. She clutched a simple spray of spring flowers in her hand. She whispered a silent prayer for Rosa and then she stepped forward, and awkwardly with her left hand, she placed the flowers on the coffin. Her right arm was firmly secured in a sling outside her long wool coat. Although the purplish-yellow bruises on her face had faded to nothing, she was still pale and tired.

As the short service drew to a close, Parker tried hard to suppress the wave of sadness that threatened to engulf her and Jarod put his arm around her waist and squeezed gently to steady her.

"I can't believe I'll never see her again," she whispered sadly to him, shivering with cold, pulling her collar closer to her face.

"I know, Parker, I know how much she meant to you," he whispered back to her.

Standing in the circle of his arms, she turned into him and wept for Rosa.


* * * * *

 

"Come on, Parker, don't be so stubborn! You need to rest! I can see how tired you are. For God's sake, woman, you've only been out of hospital for three days!" exclaimed Jarod in frustration.

Jarod took the tea tray off the counter in the kitchen and walked through and he placed it carefully on the side table in the sitting room.

Walking back to the kitchen, he swept Parker up into his arms, ignoring the squeal of protest and the string of curses, and he carried her to the sofa and placed her gently down, slipping her shoes off her feet. He swung her legs up and then pulled the woollen wrap from the back of the sofa across her.

"Now sit still!" commanded Jarod forcefully.

"I'm not an invalid, Jarod!" she snapped at him, suddenly thankful to feel the softness of the headrest and the warmth of the wrap across her legs.

"I know you're not Parker, but I can recognise exhaustion when I see it. It's going to take a few weeks for you to feel right again - and that means you have to rest!"

He sat back on his heels and looked at her pale, tired face. Her eyes were still shadowed and dull from the pain-killing medication. He'd noticed how thin and fragile she'd felt in his arms.

Standing up, he went over to the side table and poured some tea for her, taking it across and placing it carefully in her left hand. She balanced the saucer in her lap and then picked up the cup and drank the tea.

"Are you managing OK with Luisa here?" he asked her quietly.

"Yes, she's not Rosa but she is very nice, and, despite what I said in the hospital, I couldn't have managed on my own. I'm grateful to you for finding her," she reluctantly admitted.

Jarod smiled at Parker, wondering how much it had cost her to make that admission.

He sat at the end of the sofa drinking his tea in thoughtful silence and then he turned to her. Hesitantly, he said:

"Parker, I know you've only been out of hospital for three days but I need to talk to you about something ... ... something important to me. Is this a good time or would you prefer to nap for a while?"

"It sounds serious, Jarod" she said quietly, finishing her tea and handing him the empty cup and saucer. She leaned back and looked at him.

"More?" he asked, indicating the tea. She shook her head.

"So, tell me what this ‘something important' is?" she asked quietly.

Jarod looked down at his tea and then he placed it on the side table, his hand shaking slightly. He felt his heart beating faster than normal, his mouth suddenly dry.

"Well, I want to tell you, that just over three months ago, I found my family, Parker. My Mom and Dad and Emily, too. They are all safe and altogether. I asked Ethan not to tell you - I'm sorry about that - but I wanted to tell you myself. It's one of the reasons I came back when I did".

"Oh Jarod, I'm so happy for you!" she said with genuine warmth and surprise in her voice. "How did you track your mother - the last time we saw her, she was leaving Carthis on that God awful boat and she was injured!"

Slowly, he told her about returning to Glasgow and finding her in the clinic and bringing her back to America and shortly afterwards, reuniting with his Dad and Emily. He told her of the happiness they'd all felt at being together and how they were all looking forward to the future, once they'd made some decisions.

Jarod watched Parker intently. She looked down at her lap and played with the fringe of the wrap, idly twisting the wool between her fingers, backwards and forwards. He couldn't see her expression - the curtain of hair fell against her cheek.

"Did you tell them the reason why you came back to Blue Cove?" she asked softly, not looking at Jarod.

"No, just some unfinished business ... ... but I think my Dad has an idea judging from the hints he was dropping before I left," he said with a smile in his voice.

"So, you must be really anxious to get back to them, Jarod?" she asked quietly.

"Not really; as I said, I had some unfinished business and they are being very patient with me!"

Suddenly, Jarod stood up and walked over to the fireplace and rested his outstretched arms against the chimney breast, his back to Parker. He leaned forward and breathed slowly watching the flames in the fire. He felt the heat on his face as he watched the logs burning in the fire basket. He straightened up as if he had come to a decision and he walked back across the room to kneel in front of Parker.

"Parker, I know we agreed in the hospital to wait to talk about things but I have to tell you now ... ... I came back for you ... ... to try and persuade you to leave the Centre and come with me."

Taking her hand in his, he studied the silver ring, now back in place on her finger, and then he looked at her and he said softly:

"I love you, Parker. I've always loved you ... ... you must know that. I know there is a lot of pain and hurt between us ... ... but I'm hoping that what we have - it's enough to start again with ... ... enough to take a chance on! Tell me you'll come with me, please!" he pleaded, his eyes searching her face for a hint of a reaction.

He lifted her fingers to his mouth and softly kissed them.

Parker sighed and leaned back, closing her eyes. She couldn't speak. Her heart raced and her mouth was dry. She was so aware of him, kneeling in front of her, she suddenly felt suffocated by him, feeling panic rising in her with his words. Words that she'd longed to hear him say, yet now dreaded.

‘Oh God, Jarod, don't say this to me, it's too soon ... ... I'm not ready for this ... ... I can't do this!' she pleaded silently to herself.

Slowly she opened her eyes and leaned forward, gripping his hand tightly in hers.

"I think I've always known; since we were small children ... ... but that was such a long time ago! So much has happened to push us apart. We're different people now, Jarod. You have your family, who need you. Besides, my home is here in Blue Cove."

Parker paused for a moment, and then she added cynically:

"When I'm ready, I'll look for something that interests me. Now that you've made me financially independent, thanks to Mr Cox, I can afford to be choosy ... ... I'll be fine, once this arm has healed".

Jarod started to say something and she put her fingers to his mouth to stop him.

"No Jarod, please don't ... ... please don't try to persuade me. I know what I'm saying and no amount of thinking about things will change it.
Yes, I care for you very much, but you have other commitments ... ... people who are depending upon you, and I have to build a new life here."

She pulled her hand back from his mouth and put it under her damaged arm and supported her elbow. She hunched her shoulders forward and she looked downwards; her hair falling forward to hide her face and the misery that was in her eyes.

Gently, he lifted her chin with his hand and he searched her face with his eyes, looking for the truth.

"I don't understand, Parker! I know you care for me, love me. I felt it thirty years ago and we both know what nearly happened between us on Carthis! I felt it in the hospital when I kissed you ... ... are you saying I was wrong?" he asked miserably, dropping his hand.

"Yes ... ... No! ... ... I don't know!" she shouted at him, leaning back and looking up, eyes swimming in tears. Wiping her eyes with the cuff of her sleeve, she said:

"Look, Jarod, all I know is that when people start to care for me, they die! I can't take on the responsibility of knowing that if we are together, something will happen to you and I'll be alone again. I can't live through losing someone else so I'd rather stay as I am. I'm sorry Jarod, but I won't change my mind! I can't do this again."

Jarod took her hand back again in his and brought it up to his mouth, kissing her fingers, his eyes pleading with her.

"Don't do this, Parker; don't do this to us. We could have such a great life together, please don't do it!" he pleaded softly.

"It's no good, Jarod," she whispered.

He let go of her hand, his eyes still searching hers. Reaching forward he grasped her shoulders and he leaned in and kissed her mouth. He had only meant to kiss her lightly but suddenly he deepened the kiss tasting the softness of her mouth. When he released her, he leaned his head against her forehead and whispered "I'm sorry, Parker".

"Please don't make this any more difficult than it is, Jarod" she said softly.

"This is final then ... ... you're not even going to think about what I've said? You're just going to throw away the chance of happiness - a chance to have a family and live like normal people do?" he asked.

"Yes ... No ... Jarod, I don't need to think ... ... I've ... I've made my decision."

"I see.

Jarod was silent. He stood up and walked over to the fireplace again. He picked up the poker and idly poked the logs watching the sparks rising and falling in the grate. He picked up a large pine log from the basket and he threw it to the back of the fire, watching it catch alight.

He tried to make sense of it, but he couldn't. All he could think was that his dreams had smashed to pieces in the space of a couple of minutes. How could he bear to think of a life without Parker in it?

Turning around, he looked at her sadly, trying to find the right words to shroud his feelings, not sure he could put the words together.

"I'm sorry Parker; I guess I was taking too much for granted ... ... there are no happy endings in life! ... ... I should have learned that by now! Sydney was right to warn me I was expecting too much," he said, trying to keep the bitterness of disappointment from his voice.

She looked at him in astonishment.

"You told Sydney?" she asked in bewilderment.

"I tried to explain to him the reasons why I came back - apart from knowing that something was wrong - I told him that I wanted one last shot at trying to get you to leave the Centre and come with me. As it turns out, I got half my wish!" he said ruefully. "He was angry with me for ... ... well, it doesn't matter any more."

"I see," she added lamely.

The silence lengthened between them. Jarod turned back to the fire and poked the logs again sending showers of sparks rising up through the chimney. He put the poker down again and turned around.

"Well, I'd better get going ... ... what time will Luisa be back?"

"In another hour or so, around 6.00, she said."

"Do you need anything before I go?"

"No, I'm fine, Jarod. You get going; Syd will wonder where you've got to."

"Right, well, I'll see you before I go back to Colorado - I'm not sure when I'm leaving yet." He added thoughtfully.

He picked up his coat and shrugged it on and with one more glance at her, utter desolation in his eyes, he headed out the door.

 

* * * * *

 

Parker heard the door close softly and his footsteps along the path. She heard the car door slam shut and the engine rev and finally heard him pull away.

She hadn't realised that she'd been holding her breath and suddenly, she let it go with a rush and a loud sob. She put her good arm up across her eyes and let go of the flood of tears that had threatened to flow the moment he had closed the door.

Her head reasoned that she had done the right thing for him ... ... she destroyed everyone who came near her ... ... people she'd cared about always died or went away ... ... she was bad news for everyone. She'd done the right thing. She'd listened to her head, had been sensible, and not listened to her heart - that way would only lead to more loss, more pain.

‘Oh Jarod, you will always be my love,' she whispered out aloud.

She wondered what he'd say to his parents. Jarod had said that Major Charles had half-guessed his feelings for her. There was a big part of her that felt so happy for Jarod. A family was all that he'd dreamed of, all his life ... ... her too, for that matter. Why, then, had the thought of Jarod's family scared her so much?

Why, too, did she feel as though her heart had shattered into a thousand pieces?


* * * * *


"Jarod, is that you?" shouted Sydney, as he heard the sound of the SUV driving in and then, seconds later, the kitchen door close.

"I'm in here ... ... and we have a visitor!" he added, eyes twinkling at the little man sat opposite him, in the armchair, drawn up close to the fire.

Jarod flung his coat on the chair, brushed a hand across his eyes and took a deep breath; he straightened his shoulders, and then put a smile on his face as he came into the sitting room and nodded to Sydney.

He turned around ... ... he could hardly believe his eyes ... ... sitting in front of the fire was ... ... Angelo!

Jarod came forward and Angelo leapt out of the chair and straight into Jarod's arms for a huge hug. Jarod hugged the little man to him closely and then he stepped back to look at him.

Angelo looked exactly the same as when he'd last seen him, apart from a little more grey hair and clothes that looked old and bedraggled.

"I can't believe it" ... ...he said turning to Sydney ... ..."When, how did he get here so soon?"

Angelo smiled at both of them and then he turned to speak to Jarod.

"Hello, friend!"

"Oh Angelo, it's so good to see you!" cried Jarod, hugging the little man to him again. "I can't believe you're here!"

Sydney still couldn't believe the way that Angelo had simply knocked on his door and there he had stood, arms wrapped around himself in the freezing cold weather.

"Time to leave!" said Angelo quietly.

"What do you mean, Angelo, time to leave? Are you saying we're in danger?" asked Jarod quickly.

"No ... ...altogether now ... ...family!"

Jarod sat in the chair opposite, looking down at his clenched hands. He chewed on his lip nervously and then he looked up, first at Sydney and then at Angelo. Taking a deep breath, he launched into his speech - so much depended on saying it right!

"Yes, we are family - and I have a suggestion to make. It's time for all of us to leave this God awful place and find somewhere else to live ... ...do you remember that I talked about making plans, Syd? ... ... how does California sound? ... ... let me show you what I have in mind!"

Jarod reached into his pocket and he brought out a crumpled, colored picture cut from a magazine that was so dog-eared and creased that it was obvious that it had been poured over many times. He smoothed it out and he passed it to Sydney first.

"Syd, it's in the Nappa Valley - a vineyard to be precise; two large farmhouses, side by side, with a central courtyard joining them. There's around 500 acres of land with a vineyard - it's not been worked for around five years, so there would be a lot of restoration work to be done. New vines to search out. I don't know anything about wine but I do know that the climate is wonderful, the air is soft and there's a hell of a lot of blue sky, sunshine, trees and open spaces. A place to live and grow; away from the horrors of what we've all experienced."

Jarod watched Sydney's face for his initial reaction but Sydney's face remained impassive.

"It is possible for us all to be together - to live as one family. Angelo will need special help to adjust to the outside world, and what better place could he have? I'm sure you could set up in practice in California, if that's what you want to do. Maybe we could work on a new serum for Angelo ... ... I don't know ... ... my head is so full of ideas! Please ... ... say you will at least think about it?"

Sydney studied the picture carefully and then he passed it across to Angelo. The little man took the picture, and lifted it close to his face, holding it against his cheek, breathing deeply, closing his eyes.

Slowly nodding his head, he muttered "family... ... all family"

Sydney watched his response carefully and then he took the picture back again.

"What about your family, Jarod? Will your Mother and Major Charles be willing to share their lives with us - surely, they would want you exclusively to themselves? I could understand that, after all they have been through ... ... all the years apart from you!"

Jarod smiled at Sydney and then he got to his feet and he came across to Sydney's chair and knelt down in front of him, so that they were on the same level. Gripping his arm tightly, he said:

"Syd, they don't hold you responsible for the work of the Centre; they see you just as much a victim, as I was. You already know what Dad thinks ... ...that you didn't do a half bad job in raising me! They are wise and generous enough to realise that you are as much my father as Major Charles is ... ... please, please, say you will come! I need you so much in my life and so does Angelo!"

Sydney put his head back and he laughed out aloud and then he clasped Jarod's shoulders in a hug and said:

"Good God man, I don't need to think about it! When do you want me to start packing!?"

Angelo leapt to his feet and he came across and joined in the hug, laughing and crying with the emotion of the moment.

"I'm so glad" ... ...breathed Jarod in relief ... ... "I sent Ethan out to look at the property three days ago, to talk to the agent and to assess what sort of renovations needed to be done ... ...and to take lots of photographs! Hopefully, he will be E-mailing us some tonight. I gave him very specific instructions and he should be getting back soon, although I guess he will stop off in Colorado before coming back to Blue Cove".

Sydney sat down again in his chair and he looked up at Jarod with a worried frown on his face.

"What about Parker?" he asked quietly.

 

* * * * *





Chapter End Notes:
Last chapter will be up very soon - in time for Christmas!