Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Seated in the living room of yet another new place, all three of them staring at a laptop, they do what they always with any free time that they had searching for the twins past. 

  

“Jess did you find something about us?” Nathan asks aloud sensing something from his sister while he was sitting lax in his chair.

 

“Well.. Yes and no”

 

“OK for those of us who don’t live in your world could you please explain” Chris asks half jokingly. Confused by her cryptic meaning.

 

“In away see it’s… it’s about our mother” I whisper.

 

“Our mother?! Well what does it say” Nathan asks as he jolts up in his chair.

 

“Her name is Angela Hayden” I say looking towards my brother.

 

“Hang on, I think I might have found a picture of her.  You said her name was Hayden?” Chris asks and sees Jess nod her head slightly in response.

 

 “Yep that’s her, it’ll just take a few seconds to download” Chris confirms a moment later. 

 

“Hey you’re not going to believe this.  I may have found a possible last known location for our mom.  It’s seems she has a safety deposit box in a town called Nivia. It’s been there for years, I think we should check it out. What do you guys think?” I say surprised by what I’ve found.

 

“I’m not sure I mean this seems like to much of a coincidence for it to be real.  It feels like it could be a trap” Chris says.

 

“I’d love for this to be real for our sakes but I mean this is the Centre we’re talking about. I wouldn’t put it past them to do something like that” Nathan says as he moves towards his sister.

 

“I know your both right but I’m sick of not knowing who our family is.  The Centre has stolen the last sixteen of our lives and I’m not going to let them keep us from knowing who we are” I say bitterly.

“Alright sis we’ll go but I just want to go on record for saying that I still don’t think it’s a good idea that we’re going” Nathan says shaking his head. 

“Get packing boys we leave in an hour” I say smiling.

 

  


 

 

 

“I’ll just wait in the car for you guys,” Chris says leaning back onto the car door.

 

“What?  No you’re coming with us.” I say spinning towards him.

 

“Jess, if Chris doesn’t want to come in with us.  You can’t make him, besides if this is a trap then we’ll need to get away quickly”

 

“Look Chris we started this journey together the way I see it it’s only right that we all finish it together” I say shocked that he wouldn’t want to be apart of this major moment in my life.

 

“Are you sure you want me in there I mean this is kind of a family moment I don’t want to intrude”

 

“Chris believe me when I tell you that you wouldn’t be intruding” I say as I take hold of his hand.

 

“The same goes for me.  Besides the closets thing to family Jess and I have is you.  So are you coming with us or not?” Nate asks tilting his head to the side.

 

“Alright lets go and see who you two really are” Chris says smiling grabbing Jess’s hand as they walk.

 


 

“Next please, how may I help you today?” the teller asked. 

 

“Hi. Our mother Angela Hayden has left a safety deposit box here but unfortunately we have lost the key.  We were just wondering if there was any chance that we could still gain access to it?” I say with a sincere smile.

 

“Just a moment I have to talk to my manager about this” the lady said before she disappeared into a nearby office.

 

“Jess I’m not sure if this was the best way to go about it.  I mean we could of gone and set up our own deposit box and than you know broken into it” Chris said baffled by her move.

 

“Yeah I think Chris is right. I didn’t think you were actually gonna come right out with the truth.  I don't think they are just going to let a couple of kids off the street open it up and look inside.  We have no proof of identity or death.” shaking his head equally baffled.

 

“I know.  That’s why while you boys were busy packing I made us up two birth certificates, some id’s and a couple of happy snaps if they want proof.  They’ll get proof.” I say a little hurt by their lack of faith in my plan.

  

It was than that they noticed the bank clerk was coming back with a slightly balding and chubby middle-aged man whom they assumed was the manager.

  

“Hello, my name is Mr Scholl.  Your mother had left specific instructions regarding her deposit box.  If her children came and wanted to open it and didn't have a key then they could open it no questions asked. However I insisted that at least some sort of ID was shown before I would open it.  Looking at you two right now I can clearly see the resemblance of her in both of you kids faces. So please follow me, the vault this was.”

  

They were lead into the back of the bank through a side door and followed Mr Scholl down a hall.

  

“You knew our mother?” Nathan asks.

 

“Yes, she was such a wonderful and caring person always helping others.  Although I could always tell that there was hurt behind her eyes like she was scared that someone would find her.  I knew better than to ask, though I would have given it if she asked for help.” smiling fondly at the memory.

 

Nathan glances at his sister and sees her wiping a single tear that had fallen down her cheek.

 

“Well, here it is number 164, I’ll leave you now” Mr Scholl says as he pulls out a box places it one the table and unlocks it then walks away.

  

“The answer to our lives lies in this box” I say turning my head to my brother.

  

With slightly shaking hands Jessica opens the lid and peers inside to reveal an envelope with the words for my children written on it.

 

They emptied the contents onto the table. They found along with a letter there was some photos of their mother and what they assumed were pictures of themselves as babies. Two rings, one was man's ring with a Celtic design and the other was a oval shaped pink diamond ring.  They both put the items on before opening the letter addressed to them from a woman they didn't know… their mother.

 

 

 

 

 

To my dear children,Jessica and Nathan if you are reading this now than it means that I have died. I failed to protect you from the people I thought were going to be your real parents and this mysterious place they called the Centre. I guess I should start at the beginning. 

I was a surrogate mother for a couple.  They seemed like the perfect couple.  Unfortunately the wife couldn’t conceive by herself. They had seen many applicant ‘mothers’ before they had chosen me because of a rare gene that they had to match.

We agreed that I was to live with them until you were both born. I never suspected that anything was wrong, I accidentally over heard Mr Robertson in his office.  He was talking to someone on the phone about how my pregnancy was going and then he told the other person I was having twins.

At first I thought that he was just talking to some relative or a family friend.  I would of just walked on by if it wasn’t for this strange feeling telling me to listen a little longer.

To this day I’ll always be thankful for listening to that feeling because that was the moment that I found out that the life inside of me was actually my own, not the couples as I had been lead to believe.

He told them that every thing was going according to plan.  I didn’t suspect that I was really carrying my own children.  That they would be handed over to the Centre a week after being born as planned.  He also commented on how extremely fortunate they were to find a woman with the Pretender gene who was a surrogate.

I left that night knowing I had to do everything in my power to protect the life growing inside of me.  Now as I come closer to giving birth to you both I feel that I need to write this down.  So that you know the truth about how you came to be in case something happens to me.  I hope that I will be around to tell you both this in person.  If the unthinkable does happen and I am not there than please know this.  You both came into my life suddenly, Jessica and Nathan, you are both loved and wanted unconditionally and whole heartedly by me. 

Love always and forever, your mother.                                  

 

    

Now as they left with their mother’s gifts to them there was only one more question left.  Who was their father, until they knew that they could not know themselves.

 

 

 

 


 

    

Emily and her father were in the living room reading while Ethan slept on the couch.  He begins to stir and then suddenly sits up his clothes are clammy from a cold sweat.

  

“You had that dream again didn’t you?” Major Charles asked his son. The dreams had started about a fortnight ago and he was starting to get worried about Ethan.  The Major wished he could contact Jarod, he might be able to shed some light on this new situation.

  

“Why don’t you tell us about the dreams we might be able to help you figure out what it means that is if you want to?” Emily asks concern for her brother etched on her face.

  

“The dreams there always the same it starts of with a woman standing in front of me in her arms she’s holding two babies I can’t see their faces.  I know that the babies are a girl and a boy and they are twins. Then all of a sudden the woman and the babies disappear and two teenagers appear.  Their faces are in shadow but I know they are the same twins. They want to tell me something but I can’t hear the words.  I can just see their mouths moving.  Then they disappear and I hear the words,  “Find us,” Then that’s when I wake up. I feel I’m somehow connected to them I just don’t know how”