Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Nathan was waiting in line to pay for the groceries they needed, when he picked up a newspaper off the stand the headline read Attacker Found. It was a story about former high school footballer James Freeman and school reporter Hanna Tate, who he brutally attacked and left for dead near the high school football field who was now in coma.

 

"I still don't know why he confessed, I mean I heard he was into drugs but he did have a sold alibi" the blond haired girl standing in front of Nate said to her friend standing next to her.

"Who knows anyway I'm sure the cops, if not them than the courts will realize that they've got the wrong guy" the red head said in response.

"Yeah I guess but I heard that he said some things that the cops kept from the papers" the blond said shaking her head slightly.

 

They had come to this town to pick up supplies as they passed thought but ended up finding a new person in need of their help.


Nathan had visited James in prison posing as legal aid worker. As he had just fired his latest lawyer and even though James still insisted that he did it, it did give Nathan a chance to Sim him and what he got off James was that he was absolutely terrified of being in here and of the person who really did it.

They then look into his past and into the events leading up to the crime and realized that the high school was the key to it all, they just needed to find out who their key players are.

"Ok so I think the best way to go about this is if we all enroll separately, and than I think we should try not to be seen together in public that way it won't be to suspicious to anyone when we start asking questions" Chris suggests.

"I agree Chris, also I think that one of us should try and join the football team and either Jess or the other joins the school paper"

"I don't really fit the footballer type nor do I have skills but I think Nate here is perfect for it" Chris says reaching for his drink on the table.

"Ok so than Chris well scout out what he can and that leaves me to be little Miss reporter girl" I say egger to get started.


 

After a few days into their Pretend Nathan was finally going to learn if he landed a spot on the football team, after the try outs last Tuesday and Jessica was slowly getting somewhere with Hanna's best friend Jenna Mac who was also a reporter since joining the school paper.

 

<>

~~ Ok just be careful, I'm going to try and talk a bit more to Jenna on what happened to her best friend, maybe she knows something that she or the cop didn't think matted. I'll try and see how Chris is going with some of the new friends James hung out with, before he went to jail if I can get close to him or call him on his cell if not it can wait, but right now I've got a report to write up ~~

"Jessica how's that report on the up coming school film festival going? Jessica?"

"Huh.. Oh Mr. Riley sorry I'm just putting the finishing touches to it now, it'll be on your desk before this afternoon" shaking my head slightly, looking up at him.

"Is everything alright?" he asks concern.

"Everything's fine Mr. Riley I just got a little caught up in my work"

Jessica had been assigned the same computer that Hanna had been using to write her assignments, when she found something interesting on the computer she decided that she would look into to it later when there weren't so many people around.


 

After chatting casually for a while with his new friends Nick and Lex, Chris felt that they were all relaxed enough for him to try and get them to start talking about their friend James.

 

"So I've been hearing a lot of stuff about your friend James do you really think he did?" he asks with casual interest.

"Yeah I've heard them all and I don't think he did it. See all I know is that he said that he had this great scam going for him. All he had to do was admit to something he didn't do and he'd be set with all the drugs he wanted for a year, which meant that we'd all get a cut. Next thing we know is that the cops have arrested him for trying to kill that coma chick... you know um Hanna" Lex said as he took a drag of his cigarette.

"I still can't believe he did that man, I mean we'd all do anything for a sweet deal like that. But trying to kill someone or even lying about doing it that's crazy and low. They didn't even know each other" Nick tells him shacking his head.

"But wasn't she a reporter for the paper, I mean she could have seen something he didn't want anyone finding out about at a game or while trying to talk to him for a story" Chris says acting as if he's worried that something might happen to them because of their friend.

"Hey don't worry Chris, she wasn't much of a football fan and anyway the guy that does all the sports reports and anything related is a friend of ours. Anyway James hasn't told them about who really did it so he's not about to tell them about us. He's the type of person who won't tell on a friend, although I wish he would tell them who really hurt her. Let's change the subject ok" Nick said starting to feel a bit upset over his friend being in jail.

They talk a bit more then break off and go their separate ways, as soon as Chris is a few feet away from them his cell rings.

"Any luck with your new friends there?"

"So were are you exactly?" Chris asks scanning the scenery for her.

"Around, you know I could get use to this whole bad boy rebel image you've got going for you" I say with a sly smile on my face while staring at him from a safe distance behind some trees.

"I never took you for a bad boy lover, it's the jacket isn't it" He says with a smile.

"I've always been a sucker for guys in leather and being a bit of a bad boy doesn't hurt either"

"Yeah well don't get to use to it, I mean there's bad boy your not the boss of me teen thing and than there's bad boy jail's in my future guy. I think I'll just stick with being me thank you, but I think I'll keep the jacket it makes me look cool" He quips.

"Anyway getting back to why we're here, I've found a hidden file on the computer Hanna always uses, maybe it has something to do with what happened to her I don't know. I'm go back there to see if I can open it"  

"Well it's seems that the reason James confessed was because someone promised him a years worth of drugs for free, most likely it's the same someone who did it" he informs her.

"Makes sense I've heard addict will do almost anything for a free fix, anyway gotta go find out what's in that file"

"Ok you just be careful than Nancy Drew"

"Nancy?"

"It's the name of a series of books about a teen detective of the same name, who solves mysteries anyway just try stay out of trouble" He tells her.

"I always do luv"


 

"What are you doing?"

Jessica turns around from the computer and sees Jenna standing there with a shocked look on her face.

"I could ask you the same thing?" I said without thinking.

"I left something here I needed and I find you here trying to open a locked file on Hanna's computer. I thought you were my friend obviously I was wrong about you" Jenna says in anger.

Jenna walks over to the computer and try's to move her away from it so she can shut it down, Jess moves slightly to the left giving her just a little space.

"Wait please before you turn of the computer I need to tell you something, than if you still want to stop me from opening up that file than I wont stop you" I say almost pleading.

"I don't know why but ok I‘ll listen" Jenna says before taking her hand off the mouse and crosses her arms in front of her.

"I know that this might be kind of hard to accept, but I have been looking into what happened to Hanna and I'm convinced that James didn't do it and I think that this file might hold some answers as to why they did it"

"Look I've heard the stories ok but I don't be.. I don't want to think about it ok" Jenna says bitterly.

"Jenna I didn't mean to upset you but I don't think you could live with yourself, if you stood by and let an innocent man go to jail, if something in this file could prove he didn't do it. I know you want to respect your friend's privacy, but I know that as a reporter it is our jobs to speak out for the injustices and to expose and uphold the truth to those around us even if it is difficult. Don't you want to get to the truth about what happened, for Hanna's sake and for yourself?"

A few uneasy seconds go by before Jenna unfolds her arms and places her hand on the mouse and for a second Jessica thinks that she's going to turn it off.

"Your right but if you're going to try and open this file than I think I might know what her password might be"

Jenna types a different word into the password pop up three times before the file opens.

It was a hard-hitting article about drugs in the school.

"It's the last story she was working on, there's a note here about finding a potential major lead do you have any idea on what that might mean?" I ask turning to face her after scanning the file.

"I don't know she said it was something big, Hanna received an email from someone who said they had solid proof as to who was behind all of it. She never told me who her source was just that she was meeting him the night she was attacked" Jenna says upset and close to tears.

"Jenna thank you so much I've got to go and check some things out. Promise me that you won't tell anyone including the cops about this file or about the talk you had with Hanna. As I fear that who ever she meet that night would hurt either you or myself if they found out" I says as I get up and walks to the door. 

"I.. I don't know who you really are but promise me that you'll find who really did this to Hanna" she asks Jessica is just about to walk out the door.

"I promise you I will" I say as I turn around to look at her before finally walking away.


Nathan was just finishing getting changed after a hard time at practice, he notices his friend Shane who was also the captain of the team was standing by a near by locker talking to some of the other teammates.

"Hey Nathan things seemed a little rough out there for you mate" Shane says as he breaks away from the group and walks up to him.

"I guess I'm just a bit rusty it's been a while since I played" Nate shrugs.

"Yeah I can tell anyway listen Nate since your part of the team and I can see that your really trying out there. I was wondering have you ever thought about taking something to help boost your game" he says laughing slightly.

"What you mean like steroids?"

"Hey not so loud you can call it a training aid. Look I just don't offer it to just anyone who joins the team, but since you're my friend and I trust you I'm offering it to you. So what do you say are you in?" Shane says looking around making sure that no one heard him.

"Hum I don't know I mean I've never used any drugs before and what if coach finds out?" he asks as if contemplating the offer.

"Oh well it's completely safe and as for coach you don't need to worry about him" sounding self assure of himself.

"What do you mean by that?"

"Who do you think I get my drugs from" Shane say leaning in close to him with a smirk.

"Coach is a dealer" shocked by what's he's just discovered.

"He likes you so he told me that I could make this offer to you. So what do you say?"

"I'm in" Nathan answers knowing that going down this rabbit hole might just lead him to the truth.