Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Author's Chapter Notes:

This chapter is a mish mash with a lot of ups and downs, I can only hope that it isn't too much.

Many thanks to my friends for the encouragement and their help.

I am so honored by your reviews and the fact that you take the time to read my story, I hope it lives up to your expectations.


THE HUMAN CONDITION

Chapter 8

You walk past me
I can feel your pain
Time changes everything
One truth always stays the same
You’re still you
After all -You’re still you
……….
And in this cruel and lonely world
I found one love
You’re still you
After all - You’re still you
“You’re Still You” Josh Groban
*********************************************
She could see the surface of the water above her and slowly began ascending toward it; breaking through the surface she opened her eyes. She was alone in bed, feeling refreshed and not at all hung over from the drugs she had been taking for the last several days. Parker glanced over to the chair to find it empty; no sound from the bathroom and the door was open revealing its unoccupied state. This was the first morning since the incident at the airstrip that she awoke alone and for some reason it bothered her.

She had just managed to scoot over to the side of the bed and sit up when there was a soft knock on her bedroom followed quickly by the door opening.

“Good morning, another beautiful day here on Rabbit Island.” Jarod was smiling as he looked her over and handed her a cup of coffee. “You seemed to sleep well, you didn’t even stir when I put you in bed, how do you feel?”

She gratefully took the mug and after slowly taking a sip of coffee relishing the time to savor the freshly brewed hot liquid; watching him over the rim of her cup. Jarod’s tan seemed to glow and now that he is sporting a slight beard; she found him looking exceptionally handsome this morning. His smile was somewhat contagious even for a not so morning person like herself.

“I’m feeling better than I have, it’s like I turned a corner, and other than being a little stiff I’m feeling pretty good today.” She paused to study him closer, he had shorts on. She had never seen him wear shorts, granted in Centre’s dress code shorts or any leisure wear was not exactly the standard for those incarcerated either by choice or by demand. At the sound of him clearing his throat she realized she was still looking at his exposed knees.

“I take it from your outfit you have plans for us today?”

He gave her his gottcha smirk before replying, “I thought if you were feeling up to it we could fly over to Hamilton do a bit of shopping for yourself, and I need to pick up a few electronics. Then we can drive down to the Paget Parrish and get to spend a little time on a pink beach. You will get to show off those nicely shaved legs in a bathing suit.”
“ What about the Angelo’s email?”


“We can work on that anywhere, and if we come up with something we need the computer for we can spend the evening working on it. I thought maybe a bit of fresh air; new stimulus would give us another perspective. We can take Jem along, spend sometime with him and give Dad a day to himself.”


“You know as nice as that sounds I feel as though you aren’t really giving me any say in the matter. I would like the opportunity to voice an opinion just once and have it count.” She glared at him.

 



Two hours later they were about to land the seaplane in the harbor at Hamilton. Miss Parker looked at the instruments and back at Jarod seeing his contented smile as he lowered the plane’s altitude to land on the water, she knew he was flying high in every sense of the phrase. The thought that she worked to imprison not only a human spirit capable of soaring to such height and chained his body to the windowless depths of a building weighed heavy on her as his joy in landing the seaplane was so evident on his face. They slowed to a stop while two men on the pier secured the plane and helped the passengers on to solid ground.
Jem followed Parker out on to the pier; they stood waiting for Jarod to finish checking the gear and then tossing the duffle bags to Jem.


“Do you mind that I came along?”


“What?” Parker took a deep breath and looked closely at the young man, “Why would you ask that, you know I enjoy your company.” She put her good arm through his then whispering conspiringly “It will take two of us to keep Jarod in line and humble.”


Jem looked quickly at her to see her smiling, grinned and nodded. “If I need humbled …”


Parker smiled back and nudged him, “You can count on me kid!”


Jarod walking up behind them noting the closeness and at once felt a stab of jealousy and at the same time a huge dose of pride and affection. This is family, and hopefully soon the connection between himself and Parker will be as solid as the connection between his clone and Parker appeared to be.


“I’ve checked us into a nice little bungalow to change and store our things at the beach. Our car rental is going to be here…. “ He looked at his watch, “Anytime.”

As they stepped on to the sidewalk a brightly painted older model Volkswagen Beetle pulled up and with a low sounding frog-like horn announced its arrival. “And here we are.” A self-satisfied grin lit up his face as he turned to the other two travelers.


“See what I mean.” Parker nodded to the younger genius. At his agreeing smile they climbed into the car. Parker riding shotgun as Jem sprawled in the back.” I see all the adult sized cars must have been taken?”


“It was the only car available for a last minute reservation, Parker. We can handle this. I always wanted to drive one of these.”


“Yes, it has always been a dream of mine too.” She turned to glare at him as he patted her leg affectionately. Seeing his humor reflected in his eyes she turned back to look out the window.


They were traveling along the sandy beach on one side and the outskirts of the city on the other when the tingling nagging feeling began to make itself known again in Parker’s mind. There was something that had bothered her from the beginning of the day’s plans but she had little time to voice her thoughts until now.


“Tell me again why the Major decided we needed to leave and he needed to stay?” She continued to face forward although her attention was keenly focused on the man next to her. When he didn’t answer right away she did turn and look at him knowing once again there was certainly more to come and she was not going to like it.


A slight cough sounded from the back seat, Parker turned to see Jem with a worried expression on his face. “It’s alright, I’m not going to hurt him or be angry, at least not too angry I hope.”


She turned back to Jarod, “Well wonderboy, out with it.”


“I thought you wanted to get a look around the islands, and needed to purchase a few items.”


“Yea, and then what happened.” Parker was holding tight to her control and she knew Jarod knew it.


“Listen, Colonel Berby wanted to talk to Dad alone today. It just seemed like it was good timing when the day was nice enough to get out and look around.”


“Do you know why it is that the spymaster needed us out from underfoot?” When Jarod didn’t answer, “No it was me he wanted out of the way wasn’t it? Damn it Jarod I thought we weren’t going to play games anymore. Or is it that we only play under your family’s rules? Well I guess turn about is fair play isn’t it?” She huffed as she turned to stare out the side window, angry that she allowed herself to think things had changed, angry that she wanted things to change and apparently she was the only one that did want more of a relationship than ‘he ran she chased’.


The car pulled off the main road and on to a sandy lane leading down to the beach, Jarod eased the small car near a clump of wind blown trees, before turning off the engine taking a good look at both occupants, Parker was sitting sideways in her seat looking out the side window. Jem looking very uncomfortable looking out his window in the back seat neither looked at him, frowning at how quickly things seemed to be going south on him.


Jarod sighed and waited a second. “Okay, I should have mentioned it, but the fact that Berby is coming wasn’t the only reason I planned this trip, it just made it convenient to be able to get away with you two and have some fun. I wanted to do this anyway, it just turned out that today was beautiful and seemed like a good time.”


“Fine. Whatever you say.” Parker opened the door and carefully slipped her shoes off to walk in the sand, then moved quickly away from the car.


Jarod looked back at Jem to see him watching Parker walk away from them. The young man’s eyes were full of anguish. “I am sorry Jem, this isn’t how I wanted things to go.”


“I don’t understand, I thought you trusted her. Why would you do that? She has a lot on her mind with her own family. She trusts you, don’t you know how much?"


Jarod looked at his clone, “Did she tell you that?”


“Would she follow you and let you make these decisions if she didn’t trust you? Who told me that actions speak louder than words? Is she right, is this about her family?”


Jarod sighed, “It’s about the Centre, Berby has information he wanted to discuss with Dad. He asked that they be able to discuss it in private. That is all I know. I’m hoping we will learn about what is happening at the Centre and Miss Parker’s father’s position when we get back.”


“I don’t understand why you just didn’t tell her that before.”


“Because she may not have come along. She may have insisted on staying and talking to Berby herself. You see, where her father is concerned she is so torn that her actions are somewhat unpredictable.”


Jem opened his door to watch Parker move further down the beach toward the path that lead back toward the public road. “I think you owe her an explanation, and an apology, and if you want to make it a good trip, you better do it now before she gets to the road. Besides you and I would have insisted on staying too if it were the other way around.”


Jarod looked in the direction Jem was staring before turning the car back on, “Get in.” He moved the car out of the shade and began following Parker up the beach, as he pulled along side of her he stopped the car. Parker continued walking nearing the steps that would take her to the road, ignoring the car and its driver.


Jarod was on the sand and moving before the engine completely went silent calling out to her to wait for him. He raced after her, when he came close enough to reach her he grabbed the nearest arm and at that second realized his mistake. He had grabbed on to the arm that was still not totally mobile. He heard her cry of pain as she faltered and nearly fell backward into him. Jarod carefully brought her back to lean against him and apologized into her hair for hurting her.


When Parker moved away from him he allowed his arms to fall free. She turned to look at him, the hurt in her eyes clearly stemmed from more than the pain in her arm. “I really thought we would be able to move beyond our past, clearly I was wrong. I can catch a flight out of here and once back in the country I’ll take care of myself. I hate to bother you but I’ll need to borrow some cash. I’ll see that you get it back with interest, without the Centre’s knowledge.”


“Wait a minute Parker. Please give me a chance to explain.” She stood looking out to sea but waited. Jarod gently soothed the injured shoulder while nonchalantly checking it through her tee shirt until she moved away from his touch.


“I don’t know what Berby has to say to Dad. All I know is Dad asked me if I thought you and Jem would enjoy the day shopping and looking around so they could talk in private. I believe it probably has to do with the Centre, but I promise you I don’t know what it is. I’m hoping it will help with the message we got from Angelo.”


He stood still watching as she angrily turned and took those few steps up to him until they were nearly nose-to-nose. “I thought we agreed to be open with each other, that there would be no more secrets.”


“We did. I didn’t have anything more to tell you. You know as much as I do now.”


“Now. Thanks.”


“Please give me this day to make it up to you. When we get back you can sit with dad and discuss it together. If you want to talk to Berby, I promise I’ll do all that I can to get you that opportunity.”


They continued staring into each other’s eyes until Jarod looked past her to the car where Jem had gotten out to stand beside the car looking uncertain as to what his next move should be. Jarod nodded in the boy’s direction. “Please come back with us. I’m not the only one that wants to spend time with you.”


Parker turned to see Jem worrying the sand with his foot, kicking it one way then the next while continuing to watch them. Without saying another word to Jarod she turned and went back to the car.


Jem met her half way and smiled. “Thank you.”


Parker smiled and gently punched his arm. “No thank you. Come on kiddo, we have some shopping to do.”


Jarod and Jem decided that they would shop with Parker even though she insisted she could shop on her own using the money Jarod gave her. The argument the male troop used was that she would need them to carry her packages. Jarod was particularly astute in everyway possible from running a head opening doors and standing immediately outside her dressing room door to offer assistance. Parker was beginning to feel it was more out of fear that she would take a powder than genuine concern, and had it not been for the look in his eyes she would have begun to plot her exit.



They arrived at the bungalow and unloaded the clothes they had intended to wear around the beach. Parker used the bathroom first slipping on her bikini bottoms then her shorts over them, but leaving the tee shirt on due to the bandage covering so much of the shoulder she decided she wouldn’t be in the water above the waist anyway.


Jarod gathered up his swim wear as she exited the bathroom, they passed each other without speaking, Jarod slowed as though about to say something then thought better of it.
Parker noticed Jem watching their interaction or lack of interaction with a look verging on fear. She smiled at him, “Look kiddo, Jarod and I have a very long history loaded with arguments and misunderstandings, we’ll get through this one too. I know it makes you uncomfortable to be around us when we are like this, but it will be okay. One way or the other.” She smiled at him with more confidence than she was feeling at the moment. “Now get your stuff together so you can change when Jarod is done.”


The bathroom door opened and Jarod stepped out in a red bathing suit looking for his cut offs to wear over them. Parker was studying a brochure on shops and restaurants in the area, then just catching a glimpse of the red material looked over the brochure unable to keep her mouth from falling open.


“Jarod, where did you get that … the….ummm… suit? You didn’t just buy that today did you?”


Catching the tone of her voice he looked down at his suit then back at her, “No, the Colonel brought a suit for each of us. Why?”


Parker could feel her face flushing, “It might be better if you just swam in your shorts. Give me the cutoffs, I can make them a bit shorter.”


“What’s wrong with these?” Jarod looked at her than over to Jem who was holding his own pair up looking at them then back at Jarod’s suit with a strange look of confusion on his face. Jarod looked back at Parker to see the red glow on her cheeks.


“Go back into the bathroom and look at yourself. Give me the cutoffs, I’ll see if I can find scissors. Jem, give me your cut offs too. I’ll be back in a moment.“


“Where are you going?”


“To the office for scissors, Jem don’t let him outside in those. We’ll talk when I get back.” Parker was moving quickly out the door without a glance toward the bathroom.


Jarod stood beside Jem, “What is that all about?”


Jem shrugged but moved further away from the older man. “I think it has to do with the fact that you’re out more than you’re in those.”


“I thought that was what they wore here, why else would Berby bring them for us to wear?” He took Jem’s suit and looked at the small label sewn into the elastic top, “”Speedo’ what does that mean?” The two looked at each other.



The door slammed open, “Here you go. Put these over your suits for now. They are short enough that you can swim and enjoy the beach without stunting a child’s growth.” Parker threw the shorts at the two.


“Why is it proper for women to wear bikinis but men are not allowed to wear,” Jarod picked up Jem’s suit, “Speedos”.


Parker had spent the time away trying to find a way to further explain why she didn’t want the two to be seen in those suits. It was difficult to explain and she had hoped that left alone the two would figure it out for themselves; after all they were both geniuses. She took a deep breath, “Did you look at yourself in the mirror Jarod?”


“Well, yes.”


“What did you think of what you saw?”


“They are very unusual in the fit.”


He looked at her so innocently, she felt her chest seize, “They are made to fit like that, I suppose it is a matter of taste. People in different areas have different tastes in clothing, bathing suits included.” She knew she just wasn’t going to get anywhere with him on this one, because quite frankly she didn’t know how to answer him. “Tell you what, you wear it if you feel comfortable in it.” Seeing the question in his eyes she sighed, “Come here”. She led him into the bathroom and closed the door the mirror on the door and the mirror over sink would allow him both back and front views.


“Look at yourself, how would you feel if I wore thongs out in public? How do you feel about what you are allowing total strangers to see? If it doesn’t bother you than fine, wear them.” There was nothing more that she could think to say so with that she left him standing there.


“Jem, come here a moment,” he bellowed.


The boy looked at Parker before going into the bathroom. Parker grinned and went outside to sit and wait for them. Several minutes later both males appeared looking slightly chagrined wearing their cutoffs and a tee shirt.


“I take it we are ready to go?”


Jarod nodded and led the way to the car. “Oh, there is a nice casual place we can get something to eat before we are dazzled by the pink sand. On the brochure it appears to be on the way. What do you think, guys?”


“Point the way, you are the navigator with the map.” Jarod answered good-naturedly. He glanced sideways and in a softer tone directed, “I owe you for that one.”


“Oh, I think you owe me for much more than that natureboy.” Parker playfully replied.
“Wait doesn’t my pampering last night count for anything?”


“It might have but you rather forfeited that one today.” This time Parker turned to look directly at him to find she was being watched closely she turned quickly away looking intently at the paper in her hands.


“Let’s get something to eat, this place has everything from burgers to soup and salads. Did you get what you needed at the electronic shop?” Parker saw him exchange a look with Jem through the rearview mirror which prompted her to turn and look back at the young man with raised eyebrows.


“Yep.” The two smiled at each other leaving Parker to wonder what they were up to.

The three were bantering about the line of clothing women wear versus what women wanted men to be seen in as they ordered, when the waitress appeared with deluxe bugers for the men and a salad mixed with pieces of fruit and nuts for Parker. The waitress smiled at the three, asking if they were enjoying their family vacation. Parker looked a bit taken aback, as Jarod smiled and answered, “Yes we are, yes very much.” The waitress smiled again looking a bit wistful leaving them to finish their meal.

 


The drive to the beach took another hour, an hour of sitting in a hot car that for some reason did not have air conditioning. “Jarod, I hope that you know where we are? It seems to be taking a long time or maybe it’s just the fact that we are baking in this half shell.”
“We’re here.” He turned off the main road to a small stall with a uniformed man leaning out of the stall looking at the passengers of the car. Jarod handed him a card that brought a smile to the man’s face as he waved them in.


“Let me guess, it’s a personal invitation from our friend Berby?”


“Worth all the hour of baking?” Jarod asked as he pulled the small hot car along a patch of sand dunes covered by a scrub pine. The scene was breath taking as they looked out the window to the lightly pink colored beach to the barely visible turquoise water along a barely visible reef.


It took little time to unload the picnic basket and the blankets. All three gleefully reached the beach in little time, dropping their loads as they made their way to the water, splashing the cool water on themselves and each other.


Parker was the first to go back to their belongings and attempt to spread the blanket and put up the beach umbrella, when the two guys ran up shaking the water from their hair on her, both laughing like little kids at Parker’s threats for them to stop.


Parker sat under the umbrella rubbing sunblock into Jarod’s back, she had just finished Jem when Jarod sat down in front of her waiting his turn. She took her time enjoying the feel of his skin as she rubbed the lotion into his shoulders, around his neck then down his back. At her command he turned so she could reach around and get his arm. She was lightly using her left hand finding if she didn’t put a lot of pressure on it she could manage to use it more today than previously.


Suddenly she stopped rubbing and looked closer at the back of his shoulder, “Jarod, that’s a fresh bullet wound on your shoulder. When did that happen?”


He looked over his shoulder at the mark she indicated, “At our encounter at Donoterase, it’s healed over, just a nick.”


Her voice trembled a bit, “Who?”


He turned to her, “It wasn’t you. You hadn’t even turned the corner yet.” He touched her chin, “Don’t.”


She put her head down and swallowed.


“Cario, it wasn’t you. If it had been it would not have been a nick!” He attempted to get a smile from her, his attempt failed miserably when a tear trickled down her cheek. “Remember the past is the past. It was Willie that shot at me. You might have shot but you would never have hit me. I know that, and so do you.”


She looked up at him and blinked, “I’m sorry.”

Parker looked down at her hands. “Here you go, you need to go over both arms better, you don’t want sunburned, I don’t know if I got enough on your arms.” She handed Jarod the tube, after she squirted more into her hands to rub down his chest. At his surprised look she smiled, “I’m returning the pampering.”


He quickly looked to see where Jem was, seeing him jumping the waves he replied silkily, “I would love to return the gesture.”


“Ah, but then I’d be owing you again wouldn’t I?” At his smirk, she added, “But then I suppose that is the idea isn’t it?”


“Jarod, come look at this.” A voice called from down at the water, he grinned at her before gathering up the facemask and snorkel and running down to see what Jem had found.


Parker sat forward with her arm across her knees, watching Jarod running down the beach. If she had known this was a private beach she would have kept her mouth shut about the Speedos. She watched as the two put their masks on and donned their snorkels to check out the reef. It would have been fun to have joined them, but it was a good bonding experience for the two of them. It would give them a shared experience. In so many ways it was like having two little boys at the beach. The excitement was just as palpable from Jarod as it was from Jem. Interestingly she was beginning to think of them as ‘her boys’. Perhaps if they had another chance when the shoulder was in better condition she would join them for a bit of exploration.



They had enjoyed a few moments together when the swimmers came back for water and a quick bite. Parker walked back to the water with them to wade around the surf as the water was at low tide. She was walking along the water line looking at the shells when she heard Jarod yell and saw him stagger out of the water.


“What happened?” She wasted no time in reaching them; Jarod was lying on his back holding his stomach as Jem was kneeling beside him.


“He got stung by a jellyfish. I believe it was an Aurelia aurita.” When Parker just looked at him he qualified his answer for her, “A moon jelly”.


Parker looked at Jarod sitting up trying to look at his belly. “Thank God it wasn’t a Portuguese Man of War”, sarcasm dripping from her tone.



“Not funny Parker, they are in these waters too.” Jarod was fidgeting.


“Well the fastest cure is if we pee on it.” Parker quickly glanced at both men and watched their expressions morph into disbelief that she would even think of that. “Hey don’t look at me, I’m not the one that got stung. Peeing on it stops the pain and itch, so who goes first? Jem? I take it you can’t pee on your own belly?” She looked at Jarod and desperately wished for a video camera.


“Listen if neither of you are up to it, I just drank a liter of water I’m sure I can do something. Move over Jem, I’ll need to stand over the sting.” She stood to straddle Jarod’s middle noting how quickly Jem jumped out of the way.


“PARKER STOP! You are NOT going to urinate on me.” Jarod had the look of a deer caught in the headlights.


She paused as though thinking about it, looking down at him from her spot straddling his stomach. “Oh, okay. Well let me think. There is one other way, Jem, go back to the picnic basket and grab the packets of vinegar that I brought from the restaurant earlier.” She stood on Jarod’s hand as he was about to rub or scratch the sting. “You’ll only make it worse. Just wait.”


Jem ran back spraying Jarod with sand as he stopped beside the prone man. He handed Parker the four packets of white vinegar, watching as she opened one and handed them back to him instructing him to open another one to get it ready.


Kneeling beside the prone figure, Parker carefully peeled off her tee shirt before pouring the vinegar on the red welt already looking painfully itchy; she used her shirt to gather up any vinegar that ran down his side and toward the waistband below his navel. She repeated it until all the packets were emptied. She looked at Jarod’s face to see he was already feeling relief from the stings.


“Jem, look for a sea shell with sharp edge. We need to scrape the area to make sure there aren’t any more stingers left that haven’t fired.”


They watched Jem take off down the beach, ”Parker you weren’t really going to urinate on me were you?”


She smiled at him, “Oh don’t be so sure there natureboy. There have been many times you would have gotten off easy if that was all I did.” She felt around his stomach at the swelling she winced at the spread of puffy redness noticing that he sucked in his belly each time she touched him. “Does it hurt as much as it looks like it should?” She lightly blew across the area right above and around his navel, watching as goosebumps developed across his stomach.

He tapped her hand that was still holding her tee shirt below his navel, “It’s much better now thank you.” He watched her closely as she moved to sit back on her heels. He cleared his throat, “I wondered why you took the vinegar off the table.”


“Actually I like vinegar based salad dressings, I don’t know why I took them when we aren’t staying, I know your father has a well stocked kitchen back on the island. Guess following my instinct just worked out.” She paused and looked into his brown eyes, “Jarod I’m sorry I jumped on you about Berby before. My only excuse is that I have this issue with people telling me one thing then doing another. I won’t tolerate being lied to anymore. I’ve had my fat fill of it.”


“I know. I should have told you everything I knew before we left. Being together under these circumstances is a learning experience for both of us I guess. “ When she turned her head to see where Jem was Jarod took her hand. “But don’t think for a moment I regret being here with you under these circumstances, because I don’t. I look forward to learning these lessons with you.”


Jem came running back to them slightly winded from his jog back up the beach. “This is the best I could find, is it okay?” He handed the shell to Parker.


“It will be fine. See what I’m going to do is scrape the skin and hopefully we will get all the remains of the …moon jelly.” She sprinkled sand on the sting then carefully used the sharp side of the shell and scraped the sand off, she leaned over his stomach and looked at it closely, noting that Jarod sucked in his breath as she leaned over. She noticed a small piece of what could have been more jellyfish so she began repeating her actions. Parker looked at the empty vinegar packets and squeezed any remaining drops on to Jarod’s stomach.


“Well boys, let’s see if we can find a drug store and get some first aide cream and some hydrocortisone cream. I think our day here is done.”


“We don’t have to leave yet Parker, I think you got it all. I think we can sit and enjoy the beach a bit, do some shell hunting. I know I’m not quite ready to leave yet, and you took care of the sting. “ Jarod looked at her almost pleading.


“Let’s get the creams, then we can come back. I don’t think it’s a good idea to let it go like that.”


Jem was smiling at the banter and the obvious care that Parker had for Jarod, it seemed mutual, even if they didn’t notice it. If he wanted Parker to stick around he’d have to keep an eye on them.


Jarod looked from one to the other and muttered something about a conspiracy. He got up to follow them back to their blanket when Parker turned to him, “Don’t forget your playthings.” She pointed to his mask and snorkel that were laying back at the waterline.



As Jarod pulled the little car in front of a general store close to the beach, Jarod stopped her from getting out of the car. “What?” she looked over at him noting his stomach was still red.


“Jem hand Parker my tee shirt. I think you should have something over your swim suit before going into the store.” She looked at him in disbelief. “Hey, if you can make us cover up to swim, you certainly need more on to go into that shop.” His gaze fell on her bathing suit top. “Beside that bandage sticks out like a sore thumb, someone is bound to ask about your accident.”


Jem handed her Jarod’s tee shirt, “Yea, yea. Guess we are just one accident prone little family baking like oysters in a half shell.” She slid the shirt on with Jarod pulling it down for her left arm to slide in. Their eyes locked for a second before Jarod handed her his wallet and she left to buy the creams.



Twenty minutes later Parker exited the store smiling, tossing the bag into the back seat she slid in beside Jarod. Noting her amusement he questioned, “Everything go okay?”


“Of course. Had I gone in without the shirt and just the bathing suit with my cutoffs I believe that young man would have gladly given it all to me for half price,” she snickered, then added, “and I found a jellyfish repellent too. Another mission accomplished.”


She felt Jarod’s eyes on her and turning to meet his gaze, “What?”


He mocked her raised eyebrow, “Not a thing. Just noting how pleased with yourself you are right now.”


Parker laughed, “You take it where you can get it.”


Jem pointed out a few shops along the road that he wanted to visit. Most sold seashells and touristy wares. Each made several purchases before deciding to go back to the plane and head home to Rabbit Island.


Jarod kept an eye on Parker after he watched her breaking a pain pill in half. She never said a word or acted in a way to draw attention to her. He came to the conclusion she was indeed getting better or just didn’t want to dampen the evening. Things had gotten a bit lively after the jellyfish incident; the three were having a good time together doing a little sightseeing and a lot of teasing.


Jarod turned back to find Jem stretched out in the back of the plane sleeping; his face a slight pink giving him a healthy teenage glow. Jarod reached across to tap Parker on the knee and with a toss of his head directed her attention back to Jem. Her face grew soft as she smiled at the sleeping young man.


“I think, all things considered, he enjoyed the day. How about you?” He watched her expression, knowing that she gave so much more away in the quickness of a second before she had a chance to mask her real feelings.

This time, Parker didn’t seem to feel the need to slip into her noncommittal attitude, a genuine smile graced her face.“I enjoyed the day. The only thing I regret was the way it didn’t exactly get off to a roaring start, or maybe it was the roaring start that was the problem.”


“It was not all your fault. I said it was something we both would work on. Agreed?”


“Yea, whatever.” The words may have been the answer the old Parker would have given but the tone was softer than the Centre’s Miss Parker would have ever have used in the presence of Jarod.


He smiled. The day was certainly a beautiful day.


Rabbit Island came into sight and Jarod began the landing preparations. “Next time we get to take the plane like this, I’ll let you fly it.”


“Thanks but for now I’m happy to be a passenger.”


“What the speed demon of Blue Cove is passing up a chance to spread her wings! Unbelievable!” He grinned when she smacked his arm.


“Fine. I’ll take you up on it.” When he glanced over at her, she was waiting for his attention just to roll her eyes. He laughed at her, enjoying every tease, every second of banter, the flirting and the undercurrent that seemed to continually flow between them. It was something he never shared with anyone else.



As the plane slowed after landing and floated to the pier, the Major was waiting to secure it to the pylon. As Parker’s door opened he gave her hand down, the two waited on the pier as Jarod and Jem got the packages and supplies gathered together handing them down to the Major and Parker.


Parker found the silence from the Major disconcerting and knew that whatever the discussion between him and Colonel Berby it was not going to be good. She took the time to study the Major as he helped the other two unload and then disembark, the lines on his forehead seemed deeper, the creases around his eyes more pronounced; all of this screamed of trouble. Parker should be used to it, but it never failed to grab her when she finally thought she was able to relax her guard. She should have known better. Angelo’s missive was too vague to be ignored for long. Once they were in the house and settled she would find out what was up now.



The table was loaded with the day’s purchases as well as the basket of leftovers and empty water bottles. Jarod noticed that both his father and Miss Parker seemed subdued. He watched her carefully, she was suddenly wary and had dropped the more carefree casual attitude she had displayed most of the day. She was watching his dad; her actions spoke of the old Parker, on the defensive just waiting for the trap to spring. Jarod next turned his attention to his father, and within a few seconds he too saw the change in him, he was sober saying very little but doing a better job of acting than Parker was at the moment.

As much as he wanted to be there, to control the situation he knew that Parker “needed to talk to the Major. He would be close if either needed or wanted him. “Hey Jem, let’s go hook up that game and see if you are as fast with the controls as you think you are.”


The teenager looked up from the box containing the game and smiled, “Race you!” The two disappeared leaving a surprised Parker and Major Charles alone.


“So, Jarod said you were going to get some information regarding the Centre and needed me out of the way; by the look on your face it is not good news. Care to share?”


The Major knew Parker’s disdain for sidestepping a subject but her direct approach at the moment took him by surprise. “Maybe we should wait for Jarod.”


“I think Jarod left to give us time to talk. Believe me wonderboy will make sure he is kept up to date on the latest news from the front. Please don’t dance around it Major just tell me what’s the news from hell.” Her face was a study in conflict and resignation.


“Let’s go sit outside and talk.” He grabbed a couple of bottles of water on the way out and followed her to the table over looking the pier.


She sat with watching the slowly setting sun waiting for him to sit. He handed her a bottle and after unscrewing his, he took a long swig before setting his bottle down and giving Parker his full attention.


“Berby has some news regarding your father and Mr. Raines. It seems they had been sent to the African station, however your father left on a Triumvirate plane. It was made to appear he escaped but inside sources say it was set up that way. He no sooner got back into this country than he and his pregnant wife disappeared. Again, it appears to be staged.”


Parker stood and began pacing around the table, “Why? Why the set up? It has something to do with Bridgette’s baby doesn’t it?” She shook her head at her own thoughts and continued walking around growing more and more agitated “I don’t understand what the hell is he doing. Maybe it is just as well I don’t understand, maybe Angelo is right, it’s better that I’m not there. “


The Major was tracking her movements and growing a bit concerned when she stopped walking and turned to look at him, “Did the Colonel have any information that would explain Angelo’s message regarding the ‘daddy’s game to capture the queen’?”


The Major rubbed his hand down over his face trying to decide how to tell her what they talked about, “I want Jarod here to go over some of this information. It will be easier to do it once than going over it again, and we both know my son is just as tenacious as you are.”
Parker started toward the house when the Major called her back. “Let me get him. I’d feel better if you took a few minutes and caught your breath. We’ll be right out. Please sit and have some water, Miss Parker.”


She raised her brows in surprise but nodded then watched as the Major made his way into the house in search of his son. Parker grabbed her bottle walked to the edge of the patio and to watch the sun sink with a perfect red sky reflected off the water. At that moment she felt that was her life, sinking with her hopes.






































































Chapter End Notes:

Yes, more will be learned regarding the message from Angelo, that is if I can keep your interest. Did I throw in too much weird stuff?

 

Thank you for reading and please feel free to review with your thoughts on the direction this chapter took or the story in general.

You have probably come to realize by now, that I have an odd sense of humor. That is one thing that appealed to me about the show, the dark humor and the sarcastic wit. I hope I did it justice.

 

Oh and remember this is the typo queeen writing.  I still have the throne!