Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Author's Chapter Notes:
Once again thank you to all who are reading and especially those kind enough to review. This is longer than I had planned.
I hope I answered the Gem/Jem question, without totally confusing you all.

It wouldn't be here at all had it not been for the very kind beta readers and thoughtful suggestions. It is appreciated more than you know.
THE HUMAN CONDITION

CHAPTER 6

Capture the moment carry the day
Stay with the chase as long as you may
Follow the dreamer, the fool and the sage
Back to the days of the innocent age
Storybook endings never appear
They’re just someone’s way of leading us here
Waiting for wisdom to open the cage
We forged in the fires of the innocent age
“Innocent Age” by Dan Fogelberg



She didn’t know if it was the scent of freshly brewed coffee floating in from the kitchen, or the sound of falling water that roused her from her deep sleep but, slowly, Miss Parker opened her eyes. Though her first thought was that it was raining, the stream of sunlight dancing off the mirror told her it was not. Her brows furrowed and, as the fog in her brain began to lift, the sounds she was hearing started to make sense.

Someone was in her shower. Letting out an exasperated sigh, she shook her head, knowing that the culprit was Jarod. Who else would have the audacity to come into her room to shower?

Her gaze fell on the clock sitting on the bedside table and she frowned. It was after the noon hour. Turning away, she glared at the closed door leading to the bathroom.

Damn Jarod and his pharmacy! The day was well under way and her brain was still sluggish. All she could think of was the commercial with the fried eggs sliding out of the pan and the logo, “this is your brain on drugs”. Thank God she didn’t have to face the Centre today, she’d never outwit her thumbless twin in this state.

She couldn’t stop the long yawn or the tears it brought to her eyes. Yearning to move, she slowly stretched out her legs allowing each muscle to tightened and relax the entire length of her leg. When she did the same with her good arm, however, she found that the arm bone was connected to the backbone and all the muscles in her back screamed in protest. She quickly eased off, allowing the muscles to relax and immediately felt relief.

The shower turned off in the bathroom. “About time, genius.” She waited listening to the faucet in the sink turn on and off. Then the brushing of teeth, her patience was running low and she was fighting the urge to scream at him.

Finally she counted to ten, then, “Jarod get your ass out of my bathroom.”

The door opened within seconds, he stood looking at her with his toothbrush in his mouth, barefoot and shirtless. “What’s wrong? Are you okay?”

Parker found herself staring at him not sure whether to be amused or angry. It was hard to be angry or even feign it when the object you want to scream at had a white ring of toothpaste around his lips.

“I would like to use the facilities when you are finished with your morning constitutional but, don’t let me hurry you. I’ve just been here in the same position for fourteen hours. No rush. Take your time.”

She managed to look as though she was squirming and in great discomfort. If there was one thing she had learned in her twisted life it was the art of misdirection and over-acting. Parker knew without a doubt that those two talents alone had saved her skin and reputation with the Centre more times than Lyle had fingers.

Jarod reacted by running back into the bathroom. She could hear him moving things around, and then the flush of the toilet before he came back. “Sorry you were out like a stone when I looked in on you. I thought I’d get freshened up before you woke up.”

“Rock”

“Excuse me?”

“The saying is –‘out like a rock’”.

“Oh. Let me grab your robe. Bathroom first?”

“Absolutely. Any chance I can shower?”

“I think that is doable. Just don’t stay under too long. Let me cover the incision with something waterproof, then we’ll get you into the bathroom.”

Jarod reached for the first aide kit and began rooting for something that obviously wasn’t there. He muttered a few choice words under his breath before sternly warning her to be still until he got back.

As he trotted out toward the kitchen, Parker mumbled under her breath, “What is this - a horse and pony show? Since when does he carry a mini me in his pocket. WE will get me into the bathroom.”

“Parker are you talking to yourself?” Jarod was back into time to hear the very end of her tirade and barely contained his smirk when she didn’t answer him. “There is so much I’d like to show you today. We could do some exploring around the house and beach, if you are up to it.”

“Sounds good.”

He finished dressing the wound, then moved the pillow from her side to the bottom of the bed. Parker clutched the sheet to her as she managed to push up with her good arm. Jarod draped the robe around her shoulders and held the sheet for her as she managed to get her good arm into it. He attempted to pull the robe around her to allow her to slide her left arm into the sleeve without needing to raise her arm.

“Just let it be for now, if I’m going to shower, Jarod.” She sat on the edge of the bed waiting for the light-headedness to pass.

Jarod sat beside her, “Parker, go slow. The drugs take a while to wear off, and it will take time to get full use of your muscles without zapping your energy.”

“That’s something else we need to discuss. I realize you were being helpful, but did you have to empty the pharmacy shelves into that fruit drink last night? You must know how much I hate being drugged out of my mind!”

Jarod lowered his head while she ranted at him. When she finished, he allowed the silence to grow, then turned to look at her carefully. He noted the flush that started at the opening of the robe and continued up to her hairline. The beautiful gray eyes that were still slightly dilated from the meds stared back at him until he did the last thing she expected. He smiled at her.

“Are you done now?”

Her mouth opened but she watched him, speechless.

“Good. Listen to me- you needed it. The pain meds alone would not have been enough. You could barely stand up straight and yet you were determined to act like there was nothing wrong. I wanted you to be able to get out of bed today and enjoy it. If I hadn’t given you that mixture you would have been up all night, miserable and not fit to crawl out of bed today.”

He tucked her hair behind her ear when she continued to stare at him. “When you are ready say the word.” He pointed to the bathroom.

Parker looked around the room for the first time since waking. Her suspicions were proved correct when she noted Jarod’s laptop on the desk in her corner. “I take it you spent the night in here last night? So, what’s new in hell?” She nodded to the desk.

He took a deep breath. He had hoped to put off sharing his information with her until he heard more from his sources both in Africa and the Centre. Jarod knew that when the time came he would have to be up front with her. There was no way he could waltz around the facts because sooner or later the dance would end abruptly.

Jarod and the Major had talked about his finding earlier over breakfast, and again he was reminded that he needed to prove he was not like her family. She needed to trust that he would be there for her before they could exchange information equally and unequivocally.

A picture came to mind of two tango dancers in a rare complicated dance that only worked when both knew the dance steps and their partner well enough to dance with faith. So the question that comes to mind is: Is Parker ready to make that leap of faith? Or perhaps, he lowered his head and rubbed the back of his neck, was he ready to make it?

“Yea, I spent the night breaking into the Centre mainframe and trying to figure out what was happening since your disappearance.” Her eyebrows arched prompting him to continue. “Raines and Willie are vacationing in Africa.”

“And. Come on -out with it.”

“Lyle is running the Centre. Your father and Bridgette are missing but the Centre doesn’t seem all that concerned with the disappearance. At least I can’t find that they have sweeper teams out hunting for him. I have a few contacts I’m waiting to hear from to better fill in the entire picture.”

Parker huffed and unsteadily got to her feet holding on to the headboard of the bed. “Damn it. Daddy’s gone underground. Jarod I have to get back there. I need to help him.”

“Hold on Parker. First we don’t know exactly what is happening. For all we know it could be a trick. Let me find out if he is in danger, then together we will work out how to help him. Secondly, you are not in any shape to go head to head with your demented twin. Lyle is dangerous. His moral turpitude is beyond something you are physically able to stand up to and survive. You can’t think straight when you are as immobilized as you are not -just by the wound but the pain will keep you from dealing effectively and assessing his actions before being impacted by them.”

She stood looking at him. He had seen that calculating look before, when she was deciding whether or not to allow him to give Davy the serotonin injection. He waited holding his breath while silently pleading that she would at least give him time to find out how much danger she would be facing in going back, now or later.

“That speech sounded like you’ve been hanging out with Syd too long. Does he write these things down for you?” She shook her head as though to clear it. “Okay, I’ll stay but only under the condition that we read these communications together. You don’t get to give me your version to keep me where you want me.” She paused watching his face at his reluctant nod she added. “I mean it Jarod, even if I’m asleep, you wake me and we read them together. Are we clear on that?”

“You don’t trust me.”

The petulant look that accompanied those words sparked her anger. It was all she could do not to verbally blast him. She took a deep breath and followed her instincts to try and change their dynamics.

“If I didn’t trust you, buddy, I’d have waited until I had a chance and looked into your computer myself. I may not be the whiz you are but I know a few things about finding saved files on a laptop. This is your chance to prove to me I can trust you. It’s a two way street. Trust can kill you or set you free, remember? Let’s see how it works between us. I’m giving you a chance. This is the last chance saloon. You make me regret it and we are done and I am out of here.”

His only answer was a slight nod of the head.

Parker relaxed slightly, but continued to glare at him. “So am I getting that shower or have you already reneged on me?”

The shower was an awkward affair. When Jarod reminded her he had already seen her naked she turned the hand held showerhead on him.

After the shower Jarod happily showed her the items that Jem and the Major had purchased for her. She sat quietly in her robe as he pulled out one item after another, everything from a couple pairs of jeans and tee shirts to pretty blouses and light colored cotton shorts. Jarod laid them all out on the bed, then handed her a box from a woman’s lingerie shop. The slight blush under his sunburn told her he had already looked into the box.

“What do we have here?” She took the lid off and pulled out each item purposely holding them up for him. “Matching bras and underwear. How considerate of them! And everything is the right size. Who’d have guessed Jem would have known! What an intuitive young man, but than he does have the perfect model to follow.”

“ I noticed you put in a great deal of effort to pronounce Jem differently than Gem. It’s probably a good idea. I always thought it would work better to leave close to his old name; but I guess I just like the foreign type accent to Jem the way you say it.”

Parker acknowledged the compliment with a slight smile.

Jarod continued, “No, Jem didn’t know. I gave dad a list from the items you were wearing.” Jarod was irritated. He knew what she was doing to him, and she was enjoying it. He took the box from her and pulled out two rather short nightgowns, one in deep red, and the other in light blue. “I thought it would be easier and a bit more modest if you had something to wear to sleep, since you are no longer on IV’s. But now I’m wondering if I was over stating the modesty part.” He smirked and winked at her.

She grabbed the nightgowns and shoved them back into the box. “Why worry about modesty when you keep reminding me that you have already seen everything?”

“I didn’t say….”

“Just can it Jarod. I’ll be sure to thank the rest of your family for their good intentions.”

She looked at the dresser in her bedroom. “Is this for my clothes or are yours already there since you seem to be taking over all the fine details of my life?”

He frowned, “My clothes are next door in my room.”

He turned and within seconds she heard his bedroom door slam.

Parker found it physically difficult to even open and close the drawers as she organized and put things away. Leaving out the red nightgown, realizing that the shortness would be easier to do some of the bathroom chores independently than a longer gown. She had to give Jarod or who ever picked it points.

The problem facing her now was changing by herself without moving the left arm over her head or using it to pull clothes on. She was determined she was not going to call Jarod for help. No matter how long it took she would do it without his aid. Pulling on underwear was difficult to manage with one hand, but she did it. Parker then decided shorts would be easier than the jeans. The fact that the fit of the shorts was loose helped, and proved to be the easiest of the clothing to get on so far. She stood looking between the buttoned blouse and the tee shirt. Parker sat on the edge of the bed and huffed.

Just as she was about to swallow her pride and call Jarod for help, he knocked at her door. She was holding the tee shirt against her chest when she responded with “Come in.”

Jarod timidly handed her one of his tee shirts. It was beige with the bold red insignia “Bermuda” surrounded by little sea turtles across the front. She raised her eyebrow in question as she held it out to her.

“I thought the larger size would fit more comfortably without the support undergarment that would rub the incisions. If you’d like I’ll help get it over your head.”

“Jarod…”

“I know,” he sighed. “It is as though we are preprogrammed to play this game. I say or do something and get the response that you are used to giving. Sometimes, I guess it’s my fault that I trigger that response. Sometimes, you have to admit, you trigger the same in me. When you think about it, how many people know each other that well? Parker I never want to hurt you. I just can’t seem to change the programming overnight. I promise I’ll work on it.”

She nodded. “I promise to work on it too. You have no idea how many times I’ve had to stop myself before I said what was on the tip of my tongue in the past couple of days. And even then, there has been so many things I did say, that were uncalled for or unnecessary considering all you and your family have done to keep me well and safe.”

She looked at him and, for the first time in a long time, really saw him without the Centre issued blinders. What she saw was an older Jem - still not fully understanding all the subtext to everyday life and everyday relationships.

Jarod nodded and smiled a soft smile, seeing the young girl pretending her nonexistent world that was supposed to keep her safe and protected was in place. “Let me slide this over your head, then we’ll stretch it low enough for the sore arm to slide in first and the good arm will easily fit in next.”

The Major and Jem were sitting out on the porch over-looking the pier sipping soft drinks when the two finally emerged from the house. Miss Parker held the screen door open for Jarod who carried Miss Parker’s coffee in one hand and his own large bottle of a fruit juice mixture in the other.

The Major took in their appearances. “You two look refreshed and rested. It’s going to be a beautiful day, low humidity and a few clouds, perfect day for a little out door exploring. Think you may be interested in a walk down the beach or just exploring around the house?”

Parker noncommittally sipped her coffee.

“That’s a great idea, maybe pack a bit of a lunch! I was telling Parker how much there is to see here. I noticed the house its cistern to gather water yesterday. I’m anxious to check out the beach and the area around here. When we get tired of that we can always go to the main island or some of the other islands.”

“Whoa, slow down nature boy. Don’t we have to be concerned about being noticed by some of the Centre’s operatives?” Parker was taken by surprise at the lack of precaution Jarod seemed to exhibiting. “All your life you have had to look over your shoulder now all of a sudden you throw caution to the wind?”

“Jarod, you didn’t tell her this island is a nature reserve and not open to the public did you?” When his son shrugged, the Major turned his attention to the brunette. “We are here on invitation from a friend of mine. Berby was a Colonel in the MI6. He has been monitoring the Centre’s influence in this part of the world for the last ten years. We are as safe here as we will ever be anywhere. The house we are in belonged to one of Bermuda’s Governors years ago. They updated the building and added a few modern touches. Berby uses this house as a refuge for friends.”

Parker’s brow spiked, “Like old spy buddies?”

The Major laughed loudly, “Something like that.”

“So Parker, want to go exploring?” Jarod asked with a lazy smile.

“Yea, you can show off your genius and I can get some sun.”

Jem looked between them. “Would you care if I came too? I have read that there is a rare scallop in the waters around here, and a very interesting bird with a long tail. I have never really had the chance to explore a beach.”

Jarod smiled at the boy’s enthusiasm. It was the purest sense of happiness he had seen from the teen. He glanced at Parker to see her smile as her eyes filled. The smile was a genuine smile, not so much like the ones he got from the young girl he grew up knowing, but one of the few he had seen on the woman the girl became.

Parker answered, “I don’t see why you couldn’t come along, but you’ll be stuck with a semi-invalid. I’ll tell you what. If I slow you down, you and Jarod can go off and do the exploring I’ll find a nice spot to sit and enjoy the beach.”

“I’ll go pack a picnic basket. Dad, you said you saw some fresh fruit and ham salad in the house, right? Care to help me get everything together? You are coming too aren’t you? You can keep Miss Parker company if Jem and I find something worthy investigating.”

“Are you telling me I’m to old to go exploring?” The Major quipped good naturally, “I knew I’d end up doing the picnic basket. It’s probably just as well, after what I saw Jarod eat for breakfast.” He winked at Miss Parker before following Jarod into the house.

Miss Parker reached across to squeeze Jem’s hand, “The days of missing out on all the experiences of discovery and having fun are done now. Remember when I asked you if you wanted to do what boys do?”

The dark head nodded.

“This is part of it. This is what all children, and very inquisitive adults enjoy doing.” She smiled as she looked toward the door the Major and Jarod just disappeared through. “You will have someone very special to share all these experiences with. Jarod had missed so much of this as a child that now, as an adult he has as much excitement as any youngster would have at seeing things for the first time. There is something to be said for tactile learning. To actually get to feel something and learn of it’s life from the sense of touch. It is something you never totally out grow. The sea and all these surroundings are the best apprenticeship for an education you will ever have.”

Parker grew quiet as she looked down at the water and her mind transported back to her childhood. How much she missed having someone to share her life experiences with after the death of her mother.

Jem watched her face as she spoke; her beauty always captivated him. Listening to her clear voice and seeing her expressions as she spoke was much different than anything he’d had growing up. Mr. Raines never expressed that kind of excitement - not in his voice and certainly not in his facial expressions. His sunken eyes were frightening to look into, but Miss Parker’s brought out other thoughts to his mind. Her eyes were beautiful, alive, clear and sparkled when she smiled.

He remembered when she came to talk to him at the Centre. While she was kind and made him feel good; when he looked into her eyes, they made him sad. Today he noticed the same thing. She was trying to make him feel good about the day and his future, and yet her own eyes looked sad, as though these good things were not for her.

Jem wanted to know why, “I look forward to seeing all these things through your eyes. You have seen more of the world so I think I’d like you to be with us as we go exploring and discovering the island and life. I would like to get to know you better.”

His pure honesty and the need in his voice for a connection touched her. She had to pause to gather her emotions and thoughts before answering him. She would not crush his hopes or his dreams as Jarod’s had been crushed. As her dreams were crushed.

“Kiddo, I don’t expect I’ll be here all that long. Your real family is here. They would walk through fire to protect you and keep you safe to be loved by them. You are very fortunate to have them.”

“You are planning on leaving?”

She’d seen that face, that look of pertinacity before, countless times. “Right now, I have no plans to leave but my father may be in danger If he is … I will eventually have to go.”

“Is your father the man at the airport? The man on the steps that you stood in front of when you got shot?”

Her voice was soft, “Yes.”

“You already saved him and then Jarod saved you. He held on to you and convinced your father to let you come with us so we could help you.”

“Yes I know. But he is my family. This is your family now.”

“Don’t you want to be part of my family?” The childish eyes never wavered, always holding Parker’s eyes.

“It’s not that easy. I would be giving up a life that is all I knew. I wish you were my family in many ways, Jem. Don’t ever think for one moment that I want to leave you. Not for a second.” She reached around his back with her good arm and pulled him to her and whispered in his ear her name again.

When they separated he looked questionably at her. She answered his look, “Remember I told you I gave it to someone to hold on to for me, in case I ever got lost? I’m asking you to do the same thing. Hold on to it for me.”

“Macario”, he whispered the name she had given to him, “You wanted me to leave the only life I knew so that I could live like other boys. Wouldn’t you like to live like other women? How do other women live? Do they need to jump in front of bullets? Do they need to be afraid to go exploring an island because the place that they work for, the place their family runs, will find them and hurt them?”

Parker’s eyes filled. There was no answer she could give. She stood and kissed the boy’s forehead and walked to the edge of the patio to stare down to the water. A hand slipped into hers, as she looked down a tear escaped.

“It’s okay to cry. I won’t let anyone hurt you again.” Jem repeated the words she had whispered to him in his cell like room at the Centre. She turned to hug him when the screen door opened and the laughing that came with the opening abruptly stopped. Parker quickly turned away and wiped her face.

The men shared a puzzled look before continuing toward the woman and teen. It was as though they decided not to mention what they had just seen but went on with the planned events.

“Jem, do you want to give the old man a hand with the cooler? The steps down are a bit steep. Jarod can carry the thermos and help Miss Parker down.” The Major smiled at the youngster as he reluctantly left Parker’s side to help carry the heavy cooler down to the beach.

“What’s in this? Do we have ice cream in here by any chance?” Jem looked hopeful as he asked.

“I wish.” Jarod answered with a deep sigh, as he wrapped his arm around Parker’s waist to help support her on the steps. “Dad, when did you say the Colonel was sending the frozen food and dry ice?”

“Not until tomorrow Jarod. And, yes, if he can get several large containers of ice cream, he promised they would be with the items.”

The Major looked back to see Jarod and Miss Parker following them at a slower speed taking the steps carefully. The weather worn wooden stairs were wide enough for two to walk together, but the steepness required Miss Parker to move at a slower pace.

The family banter went on as they set up a spot on the beach. Miss Parker remained silently in a world of her own until Jarod took her hand and began to walk down the beach wading where the water and beach met. He had brought the water shoes for them that were supplied in the closets. Sizes were not perfect but the fit was enough to provide protection against the sharp pieces of broken shells and washed up jellyfish.

Jem and the Major walked ahead of them, the Major finding things in the sand for Jem to study. At one point they were so involved in a discovery that Jarod and Parker passed by, looked at an unusual water worn stone, and continued walking.

Jarod finally broke the silence. “That looked like a pretty intense discussion you and Jem were having. Are things okay between you?”

She nodded, “It’s hard to explain to him why I may need to go back to help Daddy. He is only learning what a healthy family would be like, after finally escaping that hell. He doesn’t understand why I feel I may need to return to it. I know you don’t understand it either. I’m not sure I fully understand why I feel the way I do, so how do I explain it to anyone else?”

Jarod tightened his hold on her hand. “There may be no reason for you to return just yet. Let’s cross each bridge as we come to it. Let’s enjoy the afternoon and every moment that is allotted to us. You recover faster from any illness or injury if you can eliminate as much stress as possible.”

Before she could come back with a retort, Jarod stopped to examine something in the sand. He dropped her hand as he stooped to dig up a shell. He stood and drew Parker close to him to look at it as he held it in his palm. “I believe this is the shell Jem was hunting for. See the wavy pattern along the outer edge and the orange and yellow rays. These are endangered because of over-fishing, bad conservation and probably pollution.”

He turned to call to Jem, but Parker stopped him. “No, drop it where he can find it and keep walking. He’s been studying the habitat of the islands from the books in the library. Let him make this discovery on his own. He needs to know he can.” Parker took Jarod’s hand back, after he discreetly dropped the shell, and they continued walking down the beach.

She looked up to him to see him smiling, “What?”

“Not a thing.” His smile grew as gently pulled her closer and tucked her hand into his arm.

The walk back to their site was slower. Jarod could see Parker was again pushing her limits. He pointed out the traces of pink sand among the otherwise white sandy beach. “Did you know Bermuda is famous for the pink beaches? I hope we can get over to the southern beaches where the sand is nearly all pink. Do you know what else I’d like to do with you here?” He ignored her smirk, he knew she’d have a quick answer that he wasn’t prepared to deal with just yet. “I’d love to take you scuba diving or snorkeling if you prefer. Of course we have to wait for your incision to heal completely, but I hear the area is perfect for it.”

She watched him as he enthusiastically went on about the natural wonders of the islands seeing Jem as he was talking to her earlier. When Jarod thought that he had again lost his audience, he stopped talking, “Where were you? Was I boring you?”

“I’m here, never left, And I heard every word. Why?”

Jarod smiled and tucked her hair back as the breeze from the water blew it across her face. “You just had an intense look on your face, like you were in the middle of a good memory.”

“I was and it was a good memory. Just before we left Jem was telling me about the islands in much the same way you are now. I’m glad you got him out of the Centre. I’m glad he has you for a family.”

His brows furrowed. “As I understand it, I was nearly too late. You were just a step behind or was it in front of me in getting him out.”

“Ah, the intentions were good. The effort failed.” She kicked at the water as it flowed over the top of her water shoes”

“Parker if we worked together more, the timing would be perfect and neither of us would fail. We are going to work together from now on. That was the deal, wasn’t it?”

They reached the cooler. Jem and the Major were already digging out the plates and setting things up. As they approached Jem jumped to his feet and ran to where Jarod was helping Parker get situated into the low beach chair.

“You’ll never guess what I found, Miss Parker! Remember the scallop shells I was telling you about? The first day and I found one. Well it’s actually only half of one. But still it’s pretty good wouldn’t you say?” He proudly handed it to her.

“Jem you’d be a wonderful naturalist! Good eye, these aren’t that large either are they!”

Jarod stood back and watched her interaction with pride and amusement. He often wondered how Broots handled Parker spending time with his daughter, now he understood. He understood more than he thought he would ever understand about Parker.

His dad stopped unloading the cooler to watch, then catching Jarod’s eye he winked knowingly.

The picnic meal went very pleasantly Parker found herself easily distracted from the earlier concerns and enjoying the banter between the three men. She was included and occasionally added to the conversation. It was quite noticeable that Jarod barely left her side during lunch.

The late afternoon sun was sitting above the waters of the sound as Jarod and Jem were collecting shells and feeding seagulls leftovers. Jarod offered to take Parker up to the house and, when she refused, he tried to make her comfortable before she told him to go play in the sand.

She smiled at their laughter and while enjoying it her heart was heavy. The Major tried to keep her company but after the third yawn, he decided she was too tired to care.

“Jarod, Jem let’s start getting things up to the house. I think for the first day we did pretty well. Tomorrow is another day.” The Major pointedly looked at Parker, sitting with her eyes closed, looking very uncomfortable in the wooden beach chair.

Jarod easily scooped her up to carry her up the steps from the beach. Parker was too tired to care at that point. He sat her down on the cushioned lawn chair on the patio to wipe the sand off her feet. When he had finished he found her watching him.

“You know I could have done that. You don’t have to be my nurse maid.” There was no sting in her comment it was more of an apology.

Jarod smiled and offered her his hand, “That’s okay. I didn’t mean to wake you. I’m afraid we may have played you out.”

She would not admit it but she was glad for his company and his strength. She was tired, physically and emotionally. As he helped her into her room she stopped suddenly and looked over at the laptop then back to Jarod. He nodded. Now he understood the fatigue and the quietness that had overtaken her during the day. It wasn’t all due to her physical disability. She was also dreading this moment, the moment when he promised they would together check his sources.

They stood facing the desk with the laptop sitting closed for several minutes before Parker sighed, “Let’s do it and get it over with, if we need to make plans than we need to.”

Jarod moved to stand in front of her, “If we need to make plans tomorrow is soon enough.”

At the expression on her face he quickly added. “Parker, if the news requires immediate attention, I promise we will give it that. If it is so bad you can’t sleep then we will talk about it. I will not keep something back from you, can you try to trust me on that?”

She nodded without looking at him. He gently cupped her chin in his hand and brought her head up so she did look up into his face. “Do you trust me with this?”

She heaved a huge sigh, “Jarod, I trust you until you prove to me I can’t trust you. Is that good enough? Or do you have something to say before we move on with this?”

He stood drowning in the beautiful eyes, sky blue with the light in the room. His thoughts were brought back to the present when she did her infamous eyebrow arch. “Yea, let’s boot it up and see what we have.”

He gallantly moved the desk chair over toward Parker and held it until she lowered herself to sit in front of the computer, then Jarod leaned over the back of the chair watching as the screen lit up. He opened his mail program and waited.

Their heads were close enough that she could feel his breath on her cheek as they waited. She could smell the salt from the ocean on his skin and the slight scent of aftershave. Parker found herself trying to place the scent, unknowingly she leaned closer and sniffed, Old Spice? She felt his gaze on her, and tried hard not to blush but still the heat on her cheeks was probably not sunburn. When she did look up it was to find Jarod studying her. Just then his mail alert sounded.




Chapter End Notes:
TBC unless I did manage to lose you! Rabbit Island does exist and is a nature reserve. You know why I picked that island don't you?

Remember this is by the typo queen, and even beta readers can't catch everything between the copy and here! unfortunately.