Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Saturday Nov. 17
Downtown Philadelphia
9:30 AM

'All right, I'm done with this half of it now. Now how do I get her to change her mind about chasing him? If she keeps trying to get him it'll be the end of her. She doesn't have a chance. She's going to get hurt if she keeps it up... How do I get her to forget about Lyle?'

Marie noticed that Jarod had finished typing and got a very pensive look on his face. She was wondering what he was thinking about, she didn't guess it was about her. She was about to ask him what he was thinking when he stood up abruptly and went over to his duffel bag. He fished around the bag and came out with a little eye-drop-like bottle. Jarod looked down at the bottle and then to Marie, where she detected a small trace of regret on his face.

Jarod walked over to Marie with the bottle still in his hand. "Stand up and turn around."

"O.k. What is that in your hands?" she asked him as she slowly complied with his request, although a bit wary.

"It's nothing," Jarod was starting to hate himself for what he was about to do, but it was for her own good-besides she wouldn't remember it afterwards anyways. He quickly grabbed Marie's right hand from behind, twisted it and held it up high against her back.

Marie was completely shocked at his sudden move of violence. He hadn't harmed her since they'd arrived up here, 'What's this all about?' she asked herself. "What are you doing?!" she practically yelled at him in pain.

"I'm sorry to do this do you but it's for your own good-trust me. Now open your mouth and stick your tongue out."

"What? You're crazy you know that, I won't open my mouth 'til I find out- Owww!" she yelled as he twisted her arm even more.

"Be quiet and open your mouth or I will break your arm. All it's going to do is relax your mind, I promise. You take this and I promise I won't hurt you anymore, okay."

"You promise?" she asked him nearly with tears in her eyes because of the pain. Jarod nodded his head and so Marie opened her mouth and stuck out her tongue. Jarod then placed two drops of the liquid in the bottle on her tongue, and then released his grip on her arm and stepped away from her.

Jarod just continued walking away from her towards the table, "Here have a seat."

Marie just turned around and glared at him as she nursed her arm. After about a minute she walked over to the chair that he had indicated and sat down.

"Now I want you to relax your mind and body," he told her as he began to hypnotize her.

'There it's over now. I hope it works now,' Jarod told himself as he reviewed what he had suggested to her: she would not remember what Lyle looked like, or that name for that matter, or the fact that he was her Carl Smith, she would forget any mention of the Centre, or what she saw pass in the alley, she would stop contacting Smith, and she would forget the entire incident which had transpired just before he had hypnotized her. He decided not to suggest that she forget everything about him because once she was reawakened it would be worse since she wouldn't know anything about her present situation. He then led her to the bed where he suggested she take a nap immediately after he awakened her from the trance she was now in. Jarod released her from the trance and Marie automatically fell asleep. 'At least that part worked.' Jarod waited 10 minutes before waking her up and telling her that they were leaving. Jarod gathered up all his stuff and led her downstairs to her car. All that time Marie had been silent not uttering a word or sound for that matter.

"Where would you like me to drop you off?"

The question caught Marie off guard. "How about a police station?" she suggested with a smile on her face.
Jarod turned and looked at her, "How about not. How about your place or hotel."

'No way am I going to let him know where I live,' she thought to herself as she said "How about not."

"Fair enough, I understand why not. How-"

"You do, do you?"

"Yes... you don't want me to know where you live. How about I take you to a park?"

"Fine," was her curt reply.

They drove the rest of the way in silence. When they arrived there, Jarod parked the car and told her to get out of the car.

"This is my car!!"

"Yeah I know, I'm going to need to borrow it for awhile. Don't worry I'll return it to you by the end of the day."

"How will you do that?"

"It'll be in the alley tonight, right where you left it."

"Just like that?"

"Yes, just like that. You have my word." He really hoped he believed her. And with that she shut the door and Jarod drove off. As he was driving off Jarod looked into the rearview mirror and thought to himself, 'I hope that's not the last time I see her.'

At the same time a hundred yards behind him, Marie was thinking 'Who is he? I will find out who you are Jarod and I'll meet up with you again.'