Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

5cda.jpg

Miss Parker walked out of Jarod's bathroom as she towel dried her hair. Dressed in his oversized sweatshirt, she joined him as he lit the fireplace.

"Nice shirt," he remarked.

"Hope you don't mind, mine was all wet."

"I just poured you a cup of coffee," he pointed to the table. "It will keep you warm."

She sipped her coffee and quietly watched him move about throughout his house. He looked out the window for several seconds and clearly saw the reflection of his former "huntress" through the glass, walk toward him. Jarod turned suddenly, Miss Parker stopped.

"The rain's just about dying down. You should leave soon."

"Jarod, aren't you going to even ask me why I was so close to your house?"

"No. I really don't care. Just saw a woman on the cliff, and being the helpful "pretender" I've always been," he snickered, "thought I'd check to see if she needn't help. I didn't know it was you."

"And if you did, you wouldn't have come out."

Jarod kept silent.

"I guess the answer's yes."

Still, he kept quiet.

"Jarod, we need to talk."

"There's nothing to say. I've already said my piece."

"You've always been a part of my life, Jarod. I'm sorry I treated you cruelly. I wish I could take back everything I've done to you, everything I've said to you." A teardrop slid down her cheek.

He sighed, raking his fingers through his long locks. "Don't waste your breath."

"Jarod. You're...you're so cold toward me. Please don't be."

"This coming from the "ice queen". Don't make me laugh," he said, walking pass her.

Miss Parker grabbed his arm in an effort to get his attention.

"What, Parker?" He voice was low-toned.

"I'm sorry."

"It's not going to change anything. What's done is done. Can't reverse time. Can't pretend "The Centre" never existed. Can't pretend you never existed, but, I wish I could."

As he stood before her, he watched her reaction coldly. Instead of stepping away from him, Miss Parker caressed his cheek. Jarod closed his eyes just for a moment. Gently, taking hold of her hand, he pushed it away from his face.

"Don't, Miss Parker. Don't," Jarod said. "It's too late for anything."

Ignoring his words, she tugged at his hair. "You need a haircut." Taking hold of his jacket, she slowly pulled him into her. Their faces were just an inch away as they felt each other's breaths against their skin. Her lips barely brushed his, when Jarod stepped back.

"I said don't. What part don't you understand?"

"Why not?" Her blue eyes glimmered with hope, anticipating the feeling of his lips on hers.

"Why? Because, Miss Parker, if I let this kiss happen, I won't be able to stop."

"Would it be so wrong?" Again, she caressed his face.

"Yes, so very wrong." He stepped away and picked her mug off of the table and stuck his finger into it. "Your coffee's getting cold." he said blankly.

"The Centre" won't be in the way," she persisted.

"What are you trying to say, Parker. Now you want a life with me. Is that it?"

"Yes, I do, Jarod."

"No more "you run, I chase". No more "huntress" and "prey". No more nothing, but, just you and me?" Softly, he spoke.

She smiled. "Yes."

"Whatever I felt about you, I've suddenly changed my mind, my heart. Every time I look at you, I'll think of "The Centre". You're a reminder of everything in my life I wished that wasn't. I'm sorry. I'm so very sorry. Enough was said and done, and not once were you ever on my side. Wait. I could count on one hand when we'd join forces. But, then it was back to the old routine of our "cat and mouse" game. I hated the way I was treated, tortured by everyone of your family and especially by you."

Miss Parker felt her heart collapse and her body weaken. "I know. I know. I'm sorry. What do you want me to do? I just want to put everything behind us. I want to be friends again or more."

"What are we, like ten again? As we grew older, somehow you stopped being a friend to me. How can I erase everything that's happened? Tell me how?"

"I don't know."

"I must say, Miss Parker, I'm surprised neither one of us are yelling at this point." He looked out of the window. "Hey, look. The rain stopped. You should leave now."

"Leave? You want me to really leave? That's it? Nothing more to us?"

"That's it."

"Jarod. I don't know what to say. I don't want to leave. I've never really had a home with anyone. But, I know now, I want one with you."

"Just go, Parker," he pointed to the door. "Maybe I can start a new life now. I'm sorry it had to come to this."

Walking to the door, she stopped. "If you let me leave, walk out the door, I'll never bother you again. I won't be back."

"Wait," he said. Jarod walked to her. Miss Parker held her breath.

"Excuse me. Let me get the door for you," he said.

TBC - Chapter 3