Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: I don't own Jarod or Miss Parker

Miss Parker looked around the premises as she inspected every crack and nook.

"Fine, I'll take it," she told her realtor.

This was the perfect setting, a perfect getaway. There were no more daddy, Lyle, Broots, Sydney and most definitely no more chasing around that lab speciman of hers.

Parker filled the tub with bubbles, dropped her robe onto the floor and slipped in. Listening to soft music, she closed her eyes and enjoyed her moment of tranquillity. No worries, no assignments, no Jarod. She thought to herself.

JMPJMPJMPJMPJMPJMP

Jarod was exhausted from his day of pretend. Walking quietly into his bedroom, he sat on his bed, pulled off his boots, unbuttoned his shirt and slid it off of his shoulders. Unzipping his jeans, he looked out of the window and noticed a light in the house at the top of the hill. Since he's lived there for the last several months, no one had ever occupied the place.

"New neighbors," he said delightfully.

JMPJMPJMPJMPJMPJMP

Miss Parker smiled to herself and her surroundings. Peace and quiet. There were no demands from anyone at "The Centre". She stood out on her deck and enjoyed the fresh air. Catching a glimpse of a man sitting out on his porch down the hill, she leant forward over the railing which nearly caused her to lose her balance.

"Neighbors! I'll stay on my side and you stay on yours," she snarled.

JMJMPJMPJMPJMPJMPJMP

"What?" She barked, answering her cell phone.

"Miss Parker, hello," said a familiar voice.

"I'm on vacation, my labrat. Whatever you have to say can wait."

"On vacation, Miss Parker? When one does not want to be disturbed, one should not answer their phone calls. Have you ever heard of the off button?"

"Thanks for the idea, wonderboy. Like this?" She laughed and hung up on him.

"Bright idea, genius." The "pretender" cursed to himself.

JMPJMPJMPJMPJMPJMPJMP

Miss Parker had been curious about her lone neighbor. At precisely eight o'clock every evening, she would hear the sound of his car. She watched his nightly routine when arriving home. His living room lights would be turned on, then another, which she assumed was his bedroom and then, another, which probably would be the bathroom. The "ice queen" wondered what line of business was he in and if he at times felt lonely on this quiet side of civilization.

Taking her daily walk around her area, she had decided to go a little bit further down the hill on a late Saturday afternoon. Afterall, exercise was good for the heart and soul. A sudden downpour caught her in the middle of nowhere. The closest shelter was her mystery neighbor's house. Running up to the porch, she cussed out loud as she practically stumbled up the stairs. Due to the heavy rain, Miss Parker had been unaware of his arrival. Shivering, she knocked impatiently and repeatedly on the door.

He walked up behind her. "Hello, can I help you?"

She turned and smiled politely, but, her facial expression changed suddenly. "Jarod! Jarod!" She gasped.

"Well, howdy neighbor." He smiled at his unexpected visitor.

Hitting him hard on the arm, she screamed. "What the hell are you doing here?"

"Well, hello to you, too, Miss Parker. This is my house. I could say the same to you. What the hell are you doing here?" Jarod thought for a bit. "So, you're that new neighbor up on the hill. Heard about you."

"What? What about me?"

"The realtor says you're probably running away from something or someone."

"As you can see, Jarod, I'm soaking wet and so are you! Never mind chit chatting! Are you going to let me in or not?"

"Depends. Are you going to shoot me?" He asked, taunting her.

She jiggled the knob on the front door. "I'll catch my death of cold!"

"Good! Then I won't have to worry about you anymore!"

"Jarod! Open the damned door." Miss Parker turned, pushed her wet hair away from her face and stood with her hands on her hips fuming. Jarod had a clear view of her under her drenched tee-shirt.

"Cold are we?" Jarod asked, smiling as his eyes were fixed on her breast.

"Hey," she snapped her fingers. "I'm up here."

Jarod pulled her aside and stuck his key into the keyhole and opened the door. Miss Parker stomped right in. "Where the hell is your bathroom?"

"Down the hall on your left. I'll light the fireplace."

"Whatever!"

"Hey, Parker!"

"What?" She yelled.

"When you come out, can you get me a towel?"

By the time she came out of the bathroom, Jarod stood in front of the fireplace shirtless as he tried to dry off.

"He-here," she stammered. She stood watching him wipe himself down and noticed his tattooed arms. His right was of a bobcat and his left was of an ancient chinese character. He didn't seem like a tattooed kind of guy. When did he find time to get tattoos or even time to work out for that matter. He looked like he spent several hours a week at the gym.

Jarod caught her staring and threw a sweatshirt at her and laughed. "Here, put it on, it'll keep you warm. You can stick your clothes in the dryer. Want something to drink?"

"My usual. Scotch, vodka."

"How about a beer? No hard liquor here."

"You're the host!"

Jarod grabbed a couple of beers out of the fridge. He gulped his drink as she joined him in front of the fireplace. They were silent for several minutes as they drank and stared into the flickering fire. He felt her fingertips on his right arm lightly tracing his tattooed bobcat. He turned to her a bit surprised by her sudden gesture, that it made the hairs on the back of his neck to stand.

"When did you get this?" She spoke in a whisper.

"Three years ago on one of my pretends. It was actually on a dare." He pointed to his other arm. "And this, two years ago, it means "strength".

"Another dare?"

He shook his head. "I studied ancient chinese in between our little chase games. Just wanted one. And you?" He turned and smiled at her.

"And me what?" She moved away from him.

"Any hidden tattoos on you, Parker?"

She pasted a smile on her face. "Like hell you're going to see it, you little pervert!"

He waited as if she would actually pull up her clothes and show it to him.

"Well?" His eyes twinkled.

"Well what?"

"You going to show it to me? It's only right I get to see your tattoo, since you saw mines."

"Uh, my shirt. It should be dry by now. I'll get it."

Nervously, Parker quickly stood up, not that she was afraid of him, but, she was afraid of herself for she indeed had wanted to show it to him, all the way hidden in her private little area.

JMPJMPJMPJMPJMPJMP


Get those thoughts out of your damned head, Parker! She said out loud as she threw down his sweatshirt and dressed back into her tee-shirt.

"You said something, Parker?" Jarod yelled out from the living room.

"Nothing!" She hollered. "Thanks for your hospitality, but, gotta go!"

"Are you mad about something?"

"Why?"

"The sound in your voice. You can't leave now, look outside." Jarod pointed out to the window. It looked more like nine in the evening instead of six-thirty. Heavy raindrops still fell as it banged loudly onto the rooftop.

"Hey, don't worry about me, I can make it home. It's just up the hill," she hissed.

"What would I tell "daddy" if you caught pneumonia? So, Miss Parker, you have no choice but to be stuck here with me. Let's make the most of it, alright?"

She stood in the middle of his living room pondering on her decision.

Jarod sighed. "I won't bite, Parker. I'll be a gentleman. I'll behave. I promise I won't do anything irrational. I'll keep my hands to myself." He laughed. "I won't jump on you, if that's what you're thinking."

Yeah, but, I might. Her voice in her head told her.

"Look, sit down, relax and I'll make us some hot chocolate, okay, Parker?"

She nodded and sat down on his living room sofa tucking her feet under her. Grabbing her mug, Miss Parker took a sip, closed her eyes and smiled.

"What are you smiling about?"

"A reminder of my mother. She used to make me hot chocolate on cold nights like this. Then she'd cuddle in bed with me." She opened her eyes and immediately lashed out at Jarod.

"Don't get any ideas!"

"I didn't say a thing." Jarod took his cup and raised it to his lips. You know me well, don't you, Parker? He told himself.

"Okay, if you'll excuse me, I have some work to do."

"What line of work are you into this time?"

"I'm a college professor."

"So, my great pretender. What do you teach?"

"Anthropology. You know, the biological aspects of the human species from comparative and evolutionary perspectives."

"Uh-huh. You teach night classes?"

"No. Why? You need lessons?"

She laughed. "Then how come you're home every night at eight?"

"I stay back late grading papers. Miss Parker, are you one of those nosey neighbors looking out the window watching the going ons of the neighborhood?"

"Your bloody car makes a lot of noise when you come home, I can hear it all the way up the hill!"

"And you run to the window rushing to take a glimpse of me. Like waiting for the mailman all day. Has life gotten that boring for you?"

"You make my life boring. Run, run, run, chase, chase, chase."

"And look at us now. In the very same room and you weren't even looking for me. It must be fate, Miss Parker."

"Thought you had paperwork to do."

"Music? Look through my CDs and pick one." She sat back and relaxed to the song of her choice.

Jarod sat at his desk, shuffling through his papers as he got ready for Monday's assignments, every now and then he'd look up at Miss Parker. She eventually stretched herself on his sofa and fell asleep.

He heard her whimper. "No." Looking up, Jarod watched her as she turned to her side. "No." Turning once more, this time onto her back, he heard her cries. "No!"

He dashed to her side and laid a gentle hand on her. "Parker?"

She quieted down and he returned to his paperwork. Jarod jumped when he heard her scream. "Noooooo!" There was terror in her voice, which caused her to curl up in a fetal position.

"Parker. Wake up. Parker." She woke up to the sound of his soothing voice and the feel of his gentle touch on her face.

Miss Parker panted as if someone had been giving chase to her. Hot sweat ran down her forehead. She was unclear of her whereabouts. Jarod was just a few inches away from her face when she realized she was in the safety of his home. He nearly chocked when she immediately wrapped her arms tightly around his neck.

"I thought you were dead. It felt so...so real. That bastard Lyle killed you, Thought you were dead!" She spoke out of breath.

"Okay, okay." Jarod embraced her. "I'm here. Look, I'm here. You were just dreaming."

"I don't know what I would do if something happened to you." She blurted out.

"It's okay. Nothing's going to happen to me." Jarod held on to her and felt the tremor in her body. Miss Parker laid her head on his chest as he wrapped his arms around her, kissing the top of her head. "Oh, Parker, it's alright."

"Sorry," she said, wiping her tears away. "Sorry."

"It's okay, Parker. It's okay. I'm fine."

"Just a stupid nightmare." Her voice quivered.

"Yeah." Jarod ran his hand through her hair. "Parker, I..."

"I-I'd better go. The weather's clearing up," she said, pulling away from him.

"Yeah, you'd better go." Before I lose control. He told himself. "Come on. I'll drive you up."

Jarod stopped his car fronting her house. He opened his side of the door when she grabbed his hand, interlocking it with hers.

"No need to get out. I can find my way to the front door."

He cleared his throat. "Okay," he whispered, but, she made no attempt to move and still hung on to his hand. Jarod squeezed it lightly. He turned his head and slowly moved his face toward her. Miss Parker quickly released his hand, opened her door and slid out.

"Thanks for the ride, Jarod." Quickly, she ran into her house.

JMPJMPJMPJMPJMPJMP

Miss Parker's phone rang a half hour later.

"Hello."

"No what, Miss Parker?"

There was silence on the other end of the line. "Parker?"

"Yes."

"I see you turned your phone back on. Just checking. You alright?"

"Yes, I'm fine."

Although, he could tell by the sound of her trembling voice that she was not.

"Well, I'd better let you rest now."

"Jarod?"

"What?"

"About earlier tonight, I..., things I said..."

"You know, I don't even know what you were babbling about, since you were slobbering all over me. "Goodnight, Parker." Jarod clicked her off without waiting for a response.

"Goodnight." She pressed her lips on her phone and closed her eyes. Tears rolled down her face. It was just a dream, but, it seemed so real. She couldn't bear the thought of losing him.

JMPJMPJMPJMPJMPJMP

Jarod appeared on her doorstep a few days later.

"Hey neighbor. Where have you been keeping yourself?"

"Getting a little brave, aren't you?" Miss Parker stood in her doorway.

"You said you were on vacation. So, all assignments on me ceases. Right?" He winked at her?

"Don't press your luck."

"You going to let me in?" He stood shuffling his feet.

"Why? What do you want?"

"Just being neighborly, ma'am."

She couldn't resist those warm brown eyes of his.

"Don't make it a habit." She motioned him in.

Jarod followed Miss Parker out onto the deck. "Beautiful night." He looked out and gazed at the scenery as he spoke. "Until the other night, I thought you hated me, especially when you're pointing a 9mm at me."

She didn't respond to him and looked out into the horizon.

The wind blew against her face. Jarod turned her around and pushed her hair away, tucking it behind her ears. She rubbed her hands together to generate warmth.

Jarod held out his arms. "I can warm you up, if you like."

"In the house, Jarod. And quit joking around. I'm not in the mood for jokes."

"I wasn't joking." His voice was barely audible, not sure if she had heard him.

"Okay, thank you for dropping by. You can leave now."

"I'm in no rush. I have nowhere to go. So, what do you want to do tonight?"

"Excuse me? This is not a date or anything. You dropped by unexpectedly. You weren't invited." Her icy blues glared at him.

"Unlike you, when you suddenly appeared at my doorstep unannounced the other day?"

"I was caught in a sudden downfall. I didn't know you lived there," she shot out.

Jarod flopped himself on her sofa as she sat on the floor.

"Hey, wonderboy, how was class today?"

"Fine, Ice Queen."

"What did you just call me?"

"Since you have all these "pet names" for me, Ice Queen would be my pet name for you," he laughed.

"Okay, let me start all over. Jarod, how was class today?" She asked in a pleasant tone.

"Fine, Miss Parker, thank you for asking."

"How the hell can you be such an annoying person one minute and compassionate the next? I mean..."

"You were thinking out loud, Parker? You're talking about the other night?"

"Could I ask you something?"

"Yes."

"When we were young, was I always like this?"

"Like what?"

"Cold, insensitive." She held back her tears.

"You're none of those, Parker. It's just that people are afraid to approach you. You never smile, you don't seem sincere and you're not a trusting person..."

"There better be a "but" coming out of your mouth soon," she hissed.

"It's just that you're a very private person. You're soft, sensitive and very emotional. You cry when you have bad dreams."

Miss Parker thought about that night and closed her eyes. "Sorry about the other night."

Their eyes locked, but, she turned away as so not to have him see the tears that was building up in her.

Jarod was silent and it was Parker who spoke out first. "All those times, the times I pointed my gun at you, I wasn't really going to shoot. Besides, how could I, when most of the times the gun was not loaded."

"Not loaded? Not loaded?" He repeated.

Her "no" was in a whisper. She inched her way to him walking on her knees. "I'm sorry for everything I've done to you."

It caught Jarod by surprise. She laid her head on his lap, like she was a little girl all over again. But, she wasn't, she was a grown woman. He stroked her hair gently.

"You can be soft, loving at times when you want to be. You need someone to take care of you, Parker, someone to love you."

Miss Parker laid quietly as Jarod continued stroking her hair, running his fingers through it. He heard her coo and he slid his hands very slowly up and down her back.

"So, getting back to the other night, how about that hidden tattoo of yours?"

She raised her head to look at him. "No, Jarod!" Parker laughed.

"Whatever it takes to put a smile on your face, Miss Parker. Ah, you may say no, but your eyes says yes."

"I can't believe you, Jarod. You can be such a pig sometimes. Party's over, labrat." She rose to her feet.

Jarod stood up and stretched his hands above his head. How she would have given anything to wrap her arms around those shoulders of his at that very moment.

He closed in on her and she froze. "Do I make you nervous, Miss Parker?"

She shook her head. Cupping his hands on her face, she felt his lips on hers as he gently kissed her. As he pulled away, Miss Parker drew him into her.

"Touch me," she whispered.

TBC - Chapter 2