Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Author's Chapter Notes:

First off to Rachell - sorry for making you wait!! Evil stats is almost over and then i will have my nights free again to let my muse fly away.. next africa is back from 1/3 beta's.. so that should be up soon.

 

Thanks as always must go out to Jacci and Kye for being the uber fab beta readers they are… and thanks to Terra. Just because.

 


“You have the results?”

“Yes.”

”And?”

“That prognosis was what I expected.”

“Why? What did any of us do to deserve this? Why him? Have we not all suffered enough?”

“You can’t think like that. We have to be strong, for him.”

“You’re worried aren’t you?”

“How could I not be? Things are more dangerous now than they ever were before.”

“We’ll figure out a way, I know we can, just like we always do. Have you told him yet?”

“I thought we could do it together.”

“He probably already knows. What is the survival rate?”

“It varies, there are several experimental therapies, new drugs, anything is possible.”

“Don’t sugar coat it.”

“Forty percent.”

“It’s about time the odds went in our favour. If you ask me, fate owes us.”

“He has a long fight ahead of him.”

“I know.”

“I don’t know how long I can be here, with him..”

“How can you even begin to think like that?”

“Because I have to, Because it’s my fate. The moment I forget that, we are all done for.”

“As long as you believe that, they will always have some control over you.”

“You don’t know how much I wish that were true, that it was just that easy.”

PENSACOLA, FLORIDA

“They didn’t just vanish.” Lyle informed the sweeper team in front of him. The six men just shrugged, all at a loss for words apparently. Just his luck.

He had landed in Pensacola twenty minutes ago. Despite Broots’ lead coming in only forty minutes after the Major’s plane had landed, their trail had disappeared into an apparent blackhole, even though sweepers had been combing the area frantically. Every car rental agency, every transport company – nothing had surfaced. Typical incompetence.

With an angry sigh, Lyle turned around, hitting the speed-dial for the tech room at the Centre.

“Talk to me Broots.” He said with authority as the awkward tech answered the phone.

“I’m sorry Mr. Lyle, their trail has just disappeared – the electronic one anyways.”

Lyle growled, rubbing his forehead in frustration.

“I want every satellite office within a three state radius on alert. Every airport within 200 miles of here is to be monitored. They didn’t just vanish Mr. Broots, they are here, whether in Florida, Alabama, Mississippi, Tennessee, wherever. If your job means anything to you, you will find them.” He threatened before hanging up the phone.

It was like chasing Jarod all over again.

SL-22, CORRIDOR 8.

Parker quickened her steps as the elevator came into sight. For once Sydney was having no trouble keeping up with her brisk pace. Six years they had worked together, and she had never seen him move so quickly.

It had been a long eight hours, waiting for Raines to vacate the building. They were almost at Jarod’s current location. Sydney was clearly beside himself with worry for Jarod, and even Parker had to admit her concern was growing for Jarod.

The pair stopped as Parker’s cell phone rang, echoing in the deserted hallway.

“What is it Broots?” She spat into her phone, easily recognizing the number on her caller ID.

“I just finished looping the camera system Miss Parker…”

“What do you want Broots, a gold star?” She sneered sarcastically.

“No Miss Parker, you don’t understand… He’s gone!” Broots exclaimed.

“What do you mean gone?” Parker asked, frowning as she realized her first instinctual thought was that perhaps Jarod had somehow managed to escape the Centre.

“The room is empty, and the special security feed that was set up twenty four hours ago, it’s dead.”

Parker sighed in frustration, hanging up the phone. She hesitantly brought her eyes up to meet Sydney’s worried stare.

“I’m sorry Syd. Back to finding the proverbial needle in the haystack.” She remarked, before turning around and walking back in the direction of the elevator. It was going to be a long night.

THE CENTRE, UNDISCLOSED LOCATION

Angelo continued his constant rocking, repetitively muttering the word danger over and over again, pausing only to suck in a few desperate breaths.

He looked, his eyes scanning over the tiny dimensions of the padded cell he was being kept in. Closing his eyes, he could feel the pain the walls had witnessed through the years, the anger Raines had demonstrated as he had ordered the empath to be imprisoned in here.

The emotions were overwhelming him, and Angelo knew he was slipping away, being pushed into the depths of his mind, the part that kept Timmy trapped. He had been forced there before, a dark place he did not wish to visit again. When Angelo was stuck in the dark with Timmy, it was like leaving his life behind. He always came back, but he had lost weeks of life, trapped in the darkness.

Aware that he was trembling, Angelo hugged his knees tighter, changing his rocking pattern so that his head hit the cushioned wall behind him in a desperate attempt to stay with reality. Jarod didn’t have much time left. He could sense Sydney desperately trying to find the pretender, and Angelo knew he wouldn’t be able to do so, without his help.

Closing his eyes he focused on the constant rhythm of hitting his head on the wall behind him, all too aware that he wouldn’t be able to keep himself from disappearing for much longer.

THE CENTRE, TECH-ROOM – 36 hours later

Broots rubbed his eyes tiredly. He had stayed at the Centre till nearly 3am, desperately trying to find Jarod’s location while simultaneously scanning through mounds of information trying to find another hit on Major Charles and Gemini. Lyle had admitted defeat in Pensacola, and had returned to Delaware, apparently with an item of high importance to be analyzed. His team had announcing failure after canvassing the better part of the gulf coast for twenty-hours, turning up no leads. Broots had no doubts that Lyle blamed him for the lack of success.

Parker and Sydney had stayed with him, the three of them trying desperately to find method to Raines’ madness and try to guess where the chairman might have locked Jarod away. Broots had scanned any new surveillance hook ups, but nothing had resulted from the search.

It was almost as if Jarod was more difficult to track when he was back in the Centre, then he had been while on the run.

Miss Parker had finally agreed that searching for Angelo was likely to yield more promising results. Raines obviously was trying very hard to keep Jarod isolated from Sydney, but likely wouldn’t have the empath so carefully hidden away. Broots had spent the better part of the day hacking into Raines’ personal archive, which included a necessary visit to the man’s office.

One of these days he was going to get caught. The laws of probability dictated that fact.

A few keystrokes later Broots found himself searching through Raines’s personal backup mainframe, hopefully undetected. Even he had to admit that for an old ghoul, Raines had incredible security, and given the capabilities of the tech staff employed at the Centre, Broots had a hunch that it was an inmate rather than an employee that had developed the system.

He smiled as he located the directory he needed. “I’ve got the feed from Raines’ lab.” Broots informed the two people waiting anxiously behind him.

“We’re not getting any younger Broots.” Parker snapped. Broots shook his head slightly, the more apprehensive Miss Parker was, the sharper her sarcastic remarks were. He quickly typed on the keyboard, pressing enter to reveal the last few minutes of the surveillance that had been taken of Jarod, before Raines had apparently relocated the pretender – the second time in as many days.

Thank you Broots.” Sydney stated softly, moving in behind the tech. Broots turned back and gave him a sad smile, knowing how difficult this had been for the psychiatrist. He had barely spoken since returning yesterday from the failed attempt to visit with Jarod. It was rare to see Sydney so disengaged, and this alone added urgency to the tech’s desire to locate Jarod.

“How far back?” He asked as the security feed filled up the computer screen.

“Tower logs indicated Raines was in his office until about 11am this morning.” Parker replied. “I’m sure by 11:15 he was down playing with his new toy.”

Broots nodded as he entered he query, skimming through several minutes of footage before Jarod’s form, dragged in by Willie and Sam was seen on screen.

Jarod hung limply between the two sweepers as he was dragged through the door, literally. He let out a painful grunt as he dropped to the floor, remaining were he had fallen for nearly a minute before the familiar squeaking of Raines’ oxygen tank was heard.

“Anymore dramatic and I might have to nominate you for an academy award.” Raines wheezed.

Jarod turned his head slightly to Raines. “I’m not pretending.” He choked out bitterly, launching into a coughing fit.

“It’s why we keep you isolated Jarod. The world is a dangerous place. Pretender’s belong in sterile environments, free from disease and unnecessary emotions.” Raines replied evenly, nodding at the two sweepers who were still standing slightly behind Jarod.

“I’m not interested in your white leopard speech.” Jarod spat back as he was lifted back onto his feet, wincing as he was forced to sit at the nearby table.

Raines threw a folder in front of the pretender, the bitterness obvious in Jarod’s eyes as the pretender shivered violently.

“I’m feeling generous today Jarod.” Raines began “You complete what’s in that folder and….

“I don’t need your generosity; I need to see a damn doctor.” Jarod interrupted angrily.

“You seemed so fond of pretending to be one while you were out being contaminated in the outside world. Physician, heal thyself.” Raines replied, a rare exhibition of sarcasm from the man.

“You wouldn’t believe me if I told you.” Jarod murmured under his breath, picking up the file before tossing it on the floor defiantly. “I will not do your dirty work.” He said with conviction, shrinking into himself slightly as the sweepers approached him once again.

“I’m sorry to hear that Jarod.” Raines replied with a chilling lack of concern as he handed Sam a small syringe. The sweeper painfully grabbed the pretender’s arm, forcing his sleeve up. Jarod didn’t bother struggling, instead eyeing the syringe suspiciously as it was jabbed into his arm painfully. He turned his head away from Sam, obviously frustrated with his lack of control.

“Enjoy the trip.” Raines stated as Jarod slid to the floor, curling up into a small ball, his shivering intensifying almost instantly.

“Stop it Broots.” Parker commanded, not wanting to watch Jarod suffer through another drug torture session with Raines. The man certainly didn’t believe in creativity and advancement.

“He’s going to kill Jarod.” Sydney stated helplessly. “We need to get to him Parker.”

“What more can we do Sydney?” She replied impatiently. “Angelo is gone, short of starting on SL-27 and checking every damn hole that Ripvanwinkle could have him hidden in this damn building, what can we do?”

Sydney reached into his suit pocket and pulled out a small handgun, clicking the safety off in anticipation, as he started to move out of the room.

“Where do you think you are going Syd?” Parker asked with warning in her tone.

“I can no longer sit by and watch them destroy Jarod, Parker.” Sydney stated, continuing on his pathway to destruction.

“You won’t be helping anything by getting yourself killed Sydney!” Broots pleaded, with a rare show of resolve. “I’ll continue searching through Raines’ archives, try to find the security footage with Jarod in it. Maybe Sam and Willie took him on an elevator, we can at least narrow down what floor he is one.”

Sydney shook his head with frustration. “I can’t sit by and do nothing.” He stated angrily.

“And going postal in the Tower is going to solve all of those problems. I am not going to save two people from Raines’s insanity.” Parker pleaded, moving forward as to block the shrink from exiting the tech room.

“All of these years I fooled myself into thinking I was protecting Jarod, when really it was simply blind ignorance on my behalf. Here I am, my vision clearer than ever, but yet again doing nothing but sit on the sidelines as he suffers.” Sydney replied with conviction.

“And shooting up the Tower is going to help your beloved labrat how?” Parker questioned harshly, holding out her hand, an obvious request for the shrink to hand over the gun.

Sydney sighed heavily, dropped the weapon in Parker’s outstretched hand.

“Jarod’s fine Sydney.” Parker stated confidently. “He always is.”

Sydney simply stood by the doorway, shaking his head slightly. The pretender had been forced to endure so much in his tortured lifetime, eventually he was destined to succumb. No one could fight the Centre forever, not even Jarod.

UNCLASSIFIED AREA, SL-17

Lyle frowned slightly as he made his way into the small observation room.

“I trust you are returning with good news?” Raines demanded, turning away from the viewing window to meet Lyle’s gaze.

“It seems that your Jarod Junior has picked up some rather annoying habits from his copy.” Lyle commented dryly.

“I do not need to remind you the price of failure.” Raines threatened, turning back to the window, his eyes smiling slightly as he refocused on the dark figure curled up on the floor, shivering intensely.

Lyle ignored his remark. His sister had chased Jarod for six years before having any measurable form of success. He wasn’t going to be taunted by Raines’ empty threats less than a year into the game.

“How is boy-wonder?” he asked approaching the viewing window with slight interest. Raines had clearly been enjoying his playtime with the errant pretender.

“Delightfully stubborn as always.” Raines replied.

“Is he coherent?” Lyle asked, pulling out the small journal he had recovered in California. The tech crew had gone through it and determined it wasn’t written in any modern language known to man, leading him to conclude it was some form of shorthand. Jarod had to know how to read it – he could feel it.

“We need to discuss how we are going to keep the Triumvirate at bay.” Raines informed him, ignoring Lyle’s question completely. “We can’t keep Jarod here indefinitely, without the Africans finding out that he is here, and subsequently demanding his immediate transfer.”

“There is not anything you can do to keep him here, on home soil?” Lyle questioned. “You and Mr. Parker managed just fine for over thirty years last time I checked. If it wasn’t for your sordid little scheme, I would say good-riddance. Sydney’s boy is more trouble than he is worth.”

“The loss of the scrolls was disastrous, and thanks to our little story to keep us alive, they believe Jarod knows where they are. It only intensifies their need to have him.” Raines replied.

“We still have a few hands left to deal.” Lyle reminded him. He studied the ailing pretender thoughtfully for a few moments before continuing. “Have you considered just coming straight with your intentions? Even Jarod might consider a deal with the devil if it keeps him out of Africa.”

“His cooperation is key.” Raines stated. “His years of freedom have changed him.”

Lyle let out a huff of amusement at this. “I assume you mean something deeper etched than his mastering of the art of sarcasm.”

“He’s lost his fear. He may still be wary, but he’s finally beginning to realize exactly how important he is to us. Threats against his well-being will do little to sway him. Something drastic has to be done. Before his escape, my presence alone was enough to send Jarod cowering into a corner.” Raines informed the younger man.

“Have you considered that the fear is still there, that your precious pretender has just gotten that much better at what his zoo keepers have trained him to do? Maybe he is still as terrified as ever; but now he just knows how to hide it from us.” Lyle suggested.

Raines shook his head. “I need Gemini.” He warned, his tone laced with unspoken threats.

“Why don’t you give Jarod to me for one week. Send Sis after the clone? I promise you that your pretender will be putty in our hands.” Lyle bargained, smiling slightly at the endless possibilities of having the pretender back under his total control.

Raines shook his head. “I don’t trust your sister and her intentions towards Gemini. She’s proven barely loyal concerning Jarod. Only you can bring him home.”

“And so it shall be done.” Lyle stated confidentially. “I’ve had about enough of cocky pretender’s flaunting their know-it all mannerisms in my face. It’s time for this to end.” He picked up the journal and moved towards the door.

“Where are you going?” Raines asked inferring Lyle’s presence was not welcome around Jarod.

“I need answers, the kind only Jarod can provide.” Lyle answered back smartly, entering the small, barren room.

He poked Jarod with his foot with a bit more force than was necessary. The pretender barely moved, moaning in obvious distress.

Lyle scowled, bending down and grabbing the pretender’s neck and pulling his face off the floor. He let it drop in surprise as he became aware of the feverish warmth that was emanating from Jarod. Raines must have given him one hell of a drug-induced ride.

He stood up, and turned to leave, the genius was clearly well under the throes of Raines’ drug to be of any use to him now.

He flinched as he felt resistance on his right foot. He looked down to find that Jarod’s hand had snaked its way over to him. He kicked it away as the pretender brought his head up slowly from the ground to meet Lyle’s angry stare.

“Please.” The pretender croaked, his face lit up with obvious fear. “Refuge.” He whispered, his eyes pleading with the other man for understanding.

Lyle frowned, turning to the mirror he knew Raines stood behind.

“Need doctor...please! ” The voice pleaded again, urgency obvious even through the whispered words.

“Over thirty years at the Centre Jarod, and I’m supposed to believe you are falling apart after just a few short days with Mr. Raines?” Lyle questioned suspiciously.

His words went unheard, as the pretender’s head had fallen back to the ground, obviously having slipped back in the unconscious realm.

Concerned, Lyle quickly exited the small cell, turning instantly to Raines. “You’ve done quite a number on him.” He commented dryly. “I never thought I would see the day Jarod would beg over something as trivial as an infirmary visit. Perhaps it’s a request you should consider.”

“Jarod is being re-educated as to the true nature of his status at the Centre. He’s playing us for fools.” Raines replied, exiting the room. “It is my prerogative to remind him of exactly how little control he has over his life.”

Lyle gave one backwards glance at the pretender before turning and following the sound of the squeaking wheels belonging to Raines’s oxygen tank out the door. He would come back in a few hours, when the pretender was off his drug-induced high. The glanced at the leather journal in his good hand; maybe boy-wonder was desperate enough to trade some answers in exchange for a visit from a doctor.

THE CENTRE, TECH-ROOM

“Miss Parker.” Broots called over excitedly as his eyes focused on the search queue results.

“Jarod?” Sydney asked hopefully.

The tech shook his head regretfully. “But I think I found the next best thing.” He offered.

“Angelo.” Miss Parker stated knowingly. “Where he is?”

Broots smiled as the words flew out of his mouth. “I’ve been monitoring all requests for the infirmary, as well as to the security station coming from the Tower. Fifteen minutes ago two calls were made, one requesting a large dose sedative, the other a two person escort service.”

“Where Broots?” Parker asked again, impatiently.

“SL-19, Corridor 2.” Broots replied confidently.

“Let’s move.” Parker ordered. “Broots stay here, if anything changes, call me on my cell immediately.” Broots nodded as she and Sydney disappeared from sight.

THE CENTRE, SL-19, Corridor 2.

Angelo couldn’t fight the panic that was consuming him anymore. Jarod was failing, and he needed help. The empath was trapped, and he could feel Raines’s presence moving in, ready to smother him, to make him disappear to his dark place. He didn’t want to be stuck there, not when his friend needed his help so badly.

“No.. no…no…” The empath repeated over and over again, trying to keep his mind from retreating away. The enforced isolation and confinement was taking their toll, and he was quickly losing grip on whatever reality he was still desperately clinging on to.

He startled as the small door to the cell was opened. He didn’t have much time left before he was lost in a catatonic state.

“NO!” Angelo screamed as Raines appeared, flanked by two sweepers.

“Settle down Angelo. I’m going to give you some nice medicine to sleep. You want to sleep don’t you?” Raines asked, his voice filled false kindness.

“NO!” Angelo screamed again, backing to the corner as the sweepers began to approach him, grabbing both of his arms roughly. He knew this kind of sleep. The moment Raines injected him, he would be lost, trapped with Timmy at the brink of insanity and desperation.

His fear for Jarod overwhelming, Angelo began to struggle madly against the sweepers as he was forced down to the ground. “Friend needs help!!” He pleaded desperately as Raines bent down towards him, a large needle at the ready. He was determined to stay with reality.

“You are causing too many problems Angelo. Now be a good boy and let me give you your medicine. The sleep will do you good.”

“Hurting Jarod.” Angelo yelled as the sweepers pressed against him, trying to reduce his struggles.

“I think he doesn’t want it.” A strong feminine voice projected from behind Raines.

“Angelo is not your concern.” He replied, taking in the brunette and the psychiatrist at her side.

“Save Jarod.” Angelo screamed again, ignoring the pain that surfaced as the sweepers pushed him further into the cold concrete floor. He lashed out with his feet, pulling at his limbs, desperately trying to free himself from their unforgiving grips.

“I think Cousin-It is making more sense than you are Raines.” Parker commented dryly.

“What I do with my subjects, is not your concern Miss Parker.” Raines warned.

Angelo continued his struggling as the brunette entered the cell.

“It is my concern if the very man I wasted the last six years of my life hunting dies because of whatever unresolved issues you have with him. One phone call Raines, and the Africans can be here. I’d hate to have them swarming around when you are trying to hide the prize.” Parker threatened.

“You’re bluffing.” Raines replied steadily. “Jarod is the key to our existence, you know that Miss Parker.”

“Hence the reason that your precious science experiment came back in one piece instead of with a bullet in his head. If you think I’m bluffing, then go ahead and try me.” Parker warned, cautiously approaching the man.

Raines shook his head, and without hesitation plunged the syringe into Angelo’s outstretched arm, the empath crying out as the drug entered his system.

Sydney rushed in and sank down to his knees. “Angelo.” He whispered, rubbing the empath’s shoulder kindly.

“Must save friend.” The empath pleaded, banging his head against the hard floor in an attempt to stay with reality.

“How Angelo? What is wrong with Jarod?” Sydney asked, ignoring Raines’ angry growl from behind.

“Jarod knows.” Angelo managed before submitting to the drug with a final deep breath.

Sydney turned around and faced Raines angrily. “I want to see Jarod now.” He demanded. “I will not allow you to destroy him.”

“Why can’t you understand that Jarod is no longer your concern?” Raines replied angrily.

Sydney sprang to his feet, stepping over Angelo and pushing the wheezing bald man against the wall with an uncharacteristic burst of anger. “If Jarod is harmed, there will be nothing left in this world that can save you.” He warned, with calm fury.

Raines opened his mouth to reply, not doubt with an another caustic remark as the sharp ring of Parker’s mobile phone cut into the threatening silence that had overcome the room.

“What.” She answered snidely. Sydney sucked in a breath as Parker’s eyes widened fearfully almost instantly. She brought down the phone, as if in disbelief.

“What is it?” Sydney asked apprehensively.

“It’s Jarod.” She stated simply, diverting her gaze to Raines.

“Jarod was just rushed to the infirmary. Apparently he collapsed while being escorted by your brainless goons.”

“He’s pretending.” Raines replied evenly.

“Not even Jarod is this good.” Parker remarked, her voice faltering slightly as she turned her gaze back to Sydney’s fearful eyes.

“The trauma team, they couldn’t find a pulse.”