Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks so much to Jacci and Onisius!

Chapter 3 – A Matter of Timing

“Damn, that was close way too close.”

“How many times have you done this? How?”

“What other choice did I have?”

“Point taken.”

“This is not going to work. We need to change the game. They are getting too close, too fast. He needs time to rest, to fight this.”

“At least Lyle didn’t see you.”

“I’ll consider that a small consolation.”

“If he had, the ramifications would have been disastrous.”

“I know.”

“What are we going to do?”

“There is no we, just me.”

“Why must you insist on doing everything alone?”

“It’s how I was raised.”

“You have a plan then?”

“Not yet – but we will. Together, we will think of something.”

“So now there is a We?”

“You can’t let him know we are planning anything. He’ll try to talk us out of it.”

“He’ll know something is up. I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s already on to us.”

“We’ll just have to be smarter than him.”

“I don’t like the thought of deceiving him.”

“Neither do I. But what choice do we have?”

SL-24 – UNCLASSIFIED AREA

Sam watched in satisfaction as Jarod curled up into a pitiful ball on the floor as the rest of the sweeper team exited the cell.

Jarod had humiliated him one too many times. The final straw had come when the pretender had left the sweeper shackled on the African bound airplane. Retribution had never tasted so sweet or had been more fun.

Sam nodded at one of his men, as the other sweeper activated the electronic lock on Jarod’s cage, enjoying the grimace on the pretender’s face as the strobe-like was turned on, it’s constant flashing lighting up the dull room.

Mr. Lyle had given him free reign to attempt to extract information from the defiant pretender. Given flight time between Delaware and California, he estimated he still had a good two or three sessions left with Jarod before the man returned. Until then Sam had more then enough revenge of his own to distribute.

It was days like this that made him love his job.

WEST COAST OF CALIFORNIA

Parker looked into her brother’s eyes as their small group silently gathered at the front entrance of the small cabin they were about to penetrate. Trust Jarod’s family to hide out in some retro love-shack out in the woods. It must be genetic. She could see Lyle’s predatory hunger; he honestly believed that today was his day.

“Whoever you are looking for - they are not there.” A voice drawled behind them, causing both Parker and Lyle to startle. The two swung their guns around to face the man behind them.

“Whoa… easy now.” The tall man announced, placing his hands up in a placating gesture. Parker sighed in frustration, holstering her weapon, as she looked at the elderly gentleman in front of them.

“Who is not there?” Lyle demanded angrily.

“Well based on your guns, I’d say it was the Major you are after. Not that he would deserve those things pointed in his face, the boy or his sweet sister neither.”

Parker had to suppress her sigh of relief. The rules concerning her and Jarod had been forged long ago, but she didn’t want to participate in dragging Gemini back to his prison as well. He was still a boy, quickly approaching on the beginnings of manhood – but he still had a chance. The verdict may be written for her and Jarod, but the clone still had a chance at a normal life. She didn’t want to be the one to take that prospect from him.

“They left a good hour ago, like the devil was after them. I suppose that would be you.” The elderly man continued, as if having a casual conversation amongst hillbillies.

Parker heard Lyle swear angrily behind her. Brother dearest wasn’t getting his happy ending, not today.

“Sweep the place.” Lyle ordered the sweepers around them authoritatively.

Parker, feigning interest in the hunt, casually approached the man. “I suppose you're going to play deaf and dumb as to where they were heading to.” She stated, somewhat sarcastically.

“What would I know? I just run the place.” The elderly gentleman replied politely.

“I bet you do.” She replied half-heartedly, taking a disinterested glance around the property. Her instincts screamed that this man knew a great deal more than he was owning up to.

“Shame though, the boy dropped this.” The man informed Parker holding up a leather bound book, obviously intended to be used a journal.

Parker reached over, but Lyle snatched the book away before she could catch more than a glimpse. The elderly man seemed oblivious to the silent power struggle between the twins as he continued on.

“That boy carried it everywhere with him. Kept talking about how they were going to meet up with his brother soon. They had been separated for a long time apparently. Sad tale that family; Mother was missing too you know. Wonder what could happen to drive a family apart like that? They were nothing but fragmented pieces. Anyways, I never saw the boy without it. He’d often take it out to the lake, where he just sat and wrote.” The man reminisced. “Maybe it will help you find where they were headed.” The man offered with false sincerity.

Parker gave him a tight smile back. “Thank you.” She offered in a tone that indicated their conversation was officially over. She turned back over to Lyle. “Anything?” She demanded. Her mind was questioning the authenticity of the journal. It seemed too damn convenient.

“It’s written in short-hand. We’ll have to take it back to the Centre and have it analyzed. Maybe the original lab-rat can decipher it.” Lyle said smugly. Parker shot him a look of disgust as she saw the anticipation on his face, knowing he was thinking of ways to coerce Jarod into giving them what they wanted.

“In your dreams Lyle.” Parker sneered.

Her brother shrugged uncaringly. “There are always ways to persuade Parker.”

She huffed. “Jarod may prance around your three ring-circus if that is what it takes to save his family, but you know damn well as much as I do, that he will not do a thing that would see them destroyed.” Parker reminded her twin as the two made their way into the small cabin that had been occupied by the Major and co.

“Everyone has a breaking point Parker.” Lyle rebutted.

Parker ignored him, instead glancing around the cabin. The beds were unmade, a few scrunched up tissues in the small trash bin in the bathroom, but other than that, there was nothing.

It felt a little too clean to Parker, years of chasing Jarod had honed her instincts. It was the little things that made a difference. The unused bar of soap, the TV remote perfectly placed next to the TV, as a housekeeper would place it; something wasn’t right. She wasn’t about to share that insight with Lyle though.

SL-24 – UNCLASSIFIED AREA

“Jarod,” Sydney whispered sharply as he crept towards the cage. He hadn’t even bothered going to Raines to ask for permission to see the pretender. How could he defy an order that technically had not yet been spoken? He figured if Lyle and Raines were intent on keeping Jarod away from him, they would have found another dark corner of the Centre to hide him away. Lyle knew damn well that Sydney had located Jarod the last time, and that he would be hell-bent on doing it again.

His stomach twitched as he saw Jarod curled up on the ground, bare-chested. It was obvious that the sweepers had paid the pretender at least one visit. Sharp bruises were already forming on his back, and Sydney could see vicious red marks tracing around Jarod’s wrist.

It was so unnecessarily cruel, and he was entirely powerless to stop it, more so than ever. With Raines and Lyle at the top of totem pole, it was dangerous times at the Centre, especially for the pretender who had smugly rubbed his freedom in their noses.

Jarod painfully stood and gripped the bars that separated him from
Sydney.

“Are you alright Jarod?” Sydney asked genuinely, squeezing his protégé's hand in comfort. He felt sickened speaking to Jarod through a set of bars, as if the pretender was some low-form criminal. There would be no sugar coating his imprisonment this time, no glided cage with all the amenities, nothing to hid behind in this bare cell.

Jarod ignored the question. “There was a lead on my family, wasn’t there?” He asked, the concern heavy on his voice.

Sydney nodded, “I’m sorry Jarod.” He offered sincerely. “Miss Parker and Mr. Lyle are in California, I have heard nothing about what they have or not found. Apparently they were headed just slightly north of where they found you.” He suspected that Jarod was supposed to meet up with his family.

The pretender sighed deeply. “They’ll get away. They always do.” He muttered, glancing backwards at the camera. Apparently Jarod was not going to disclose his intentions with his family, whether he had known they were in the area or not.

Sydney knew they didn’t have much time. In retrospect, it would have been wiser to get Broots to loop the camera, but he had been too impatient to bother with the tech. He would save that more desperate measure for more urgent times.

“Is there anything I can do?” Sydney asked weakly, knowing full well there wasn’t.

Jarod gave him a sad smile. There was no point in replying, they both knew Sydney was powerless to stop Raines and Lyle.

“Leaving would be a good start.” Raines wheezed from behind them, announcing his unwanted arrival.

Sydney flashed Jarod a concerned look, not much had changed since the pretender had been a younger boy. If Jarod was up to something, Raines was almost bound to be lurking around.

The chairman continued on. “Sydney, you will be informed if and when your presence is needed with regards to Jarod. Until then, your access to anything regarding the pretender project is prohibited. Am I understood?” The old man wheezed.

Sydney turned and stared down Raines, noting with disgust that Willie stood right behind the man. “It is your inability to separate your personal agenda and need for control from professional reality that caused you to lose your medical license. We are much beyond the medical review board now Raines. One wrong step and Africa will take your life. I’ll be watching you, carefully. One missed step, and I’ll be forced to notify the proper powers. ”

“You are overstepping your bounds Sydney.” Raines wheezed sharply. “People have been questioning your usefulness ever since your pet project ran away. Now that he is back, your value has only plunged even further.”

“Maybe so, but even you can’t deny the fact that Jarod is more valuable than even you.” Sydney threatned in a low, calm voice. “I’d be careful if I were you. In a place as dangerous as the Centre, an old man such as myself would be a fool to not have certain backup procedures in place should anything unfortunate happen.”

“I think you’re bluffing.” Raines replied.

Sydney shrugged his shoulders. “Try me.” He said nonchalantly.

Raines ignored him, instead the chairman turned towards Willie. “Get Jarod.” He ordered.

Sydney stood back apprehensively as the dark sweeper moved towards Jarod’s cell. He could see Jarod’s eyes sparkling defiantly, something that gave Sydney’s heart hope as well as filling it with fear. Jarod had changed so much in years of freedom. He was no longer the naive little boy trapped in the body of man, the bulging muscles of the sweepers no longer served to intimidate him.

It was dangerous times at the Centre. Lyle and Raines were in reality high-functioning psychopaths. Mr. Parker had always been reasonable, the bottom-line was nothing but dollar and cents, the ultimate ruthless businessman. Lyle and Raines were far more extreme, but as an added vice, put their personal desires ahead of most business practicalities.

Jarod had instilled so much anger between the two men in the last six years. Not only had he been the one to get away, but he had paraded around his successes and personally antagonized the two men.

Sydney knew Lyle was cruel, the man had demonstrated his insane qualities when Jarod had been returned last time. The psychiatrist didn’t want to imagine what he and Raines would dream up, if they worked together if and when Jarod proved to be uncooperative.

“A field trip already?” Jarod asked sarcastically as Willie approached the pretender, handcuffs at the ready.

“Lose the attitude Jarod.” Raines warned.

“I think you forgot the or else.” Jarod shot back, his voice dripping with disdain.

Sydney heard Raines huff in frustration. “You know what I am capable of Jarod. A little birdie told me you finally remembered about our little heart experiment a few years back. Ever wondered if there might be any more happy memories hidden away in your head? I can arrange a few flashback exercises at a moments notice.” Raines threatened.

Jarod’s cocky smirk fell off his face instantly. Sydney knew how much Jarod had struggled with that particular memory of the heart drug experiment. The pretender’s anguish had been obvious, despite the fact that the two had spoke only over the phone. Sydney believed it was the seeming senselessness behind it all that bothered Jarod the most. The psychiatrist had long ago given up finding method to Raines’ madness. It simply wasn’t worth it. He watched as Jarod barley flinched while Willie restrained him, hands behind his back. His protégé didn’t deserve this.

The smile on Raines’ face was sickening as the pretender was pushed out of his cell and hauled to a stop just a few feet from the man.

“One chance Jarod. SIM lab or my lab. The choice is yours.” Raines asked evenly.

Sydney watched silently as Jarod shook his head. “I will not deal death for you people, never again.” The pretender stated strongly. He might be back in a cell, his body under their control, but his mind was still his and that was something they would never own again.

“Too bad little brother wasn’t around. He was always very good at deciding who lived or died.” Raines replied, his grin widening. Sydney winced, praying Jarod would find enough self-control to not respond to the taunting barb.

The pretender’s muscles visible tensed as he took a furious step towards Raines, only to be held back by Willie. Jarod eyed the sweeper’s hold on his bicep before retreating back with a heavy sigh. Sydney released his own breath in relief as he watched Jarod fight to regain control of his emotions.

“Shouldn’t you be pushing papers upstairs in the big leather chair?” Jarod finally questioned Raines bitterly.

Raines just kept on smiling. “I’m the chairman Jarod. I can do whatever I want, with whoever I want.” The wheezing ghoul took a deep breath before turning to Willie. “Let’s go.”

Sydney exchanged a concerned look with Jarod, as the younger man was guided forward by Willie. He could see his protégé was scared, although trying hard to keep his fear suppressed.

Sydney liked to think that he had changed in the last six years, he certainly had been enlightened. Yet here he stood, watching Jarod being dragged off by Raines, again doing little to stop it.

Perhaps things hadn’t changed as much as he thought, likely they never would.

CENTRE JET – CENTRE PRIVATE AIRSTRIP

Parker breathed a sigh of relief as the Centre jet touched down. The past two days had been excruciating, involving two trips to California in less than a twenty four hour period. She was exhausted, in need of a shower and a very large quantity of alcohol.

Parker grimaced as her cell phone rang. It was evening in Blue Cove and her phone would only ring for one of two reasons: Sydney whining about Jarod or Broots with another lead on Jarod’s family. She wasn’t sure which of the two was worse.

“What?” She sneered into the phone.

“Miss Parker, there is another lead.” The timid voice of Broots announced.

“If you say it’s in California Broots I’m going to kill you.” She replied evenly. If it had been Jarod running the show, she would have sworn that the leads were coming this close together simply to torment her. But it wasn’t now, was it?

“It’s not California, by a few miles anyways.” The tech informed her.

“Don’t tell me they’ve hoped the border and gone ‘el gringo’ on us.” She sneered.

“Wrong direction Miss Parker. They are in Washington State, in a small town just north of the Californian Border, if you leave now you can be there in…”

Parker couldn’t take it, she brought the phone down to her side, not caring that she could still hear Broots’ overenthusiastic planning.

“Another lead?” Lyle asked her from behind.

“Looks like you’re heading to Washington State Lyle. Bon Voyage.” Parker offered sarcastically tossing him her cell. “Mr. Funyons will fill you in with all the details.”

“Not going to join me on this one Sis?” Lyle asked, holding the phone at his side. Parker could hear Broots calling her name through the earpiece. Moron.

“It’s a waste of time, it always is. We’ve got the original back, why don’t you just go play with him?” Parker snapped.

“Even you know that play time will be a lot more effective when boy wonder’s mini-me is there working beside him. Gemini has to be recovered, no matter what the costs.”

“As I said Lyle, have a good trip, and don’t lose the phone. I’ll see you on Monday.”

“Raines won’t be happy.” Lyle stated. Parker couldn’t figure out why he was so damn eager to have her accompany him while they played musical states with Jarod’s family.

She simply shrugged. “I’m back in Corporate now. I caught my lab-rat, and as far as I’m concerned, it’s over. It’s your turn to hop around the damn country.”

With that she strode away, leaving Lyle holding her phone, Broots still calling her name out.

Six long years, her days as a huntress had finally come to an end.

SL-24 – UNCLASSIFIED AREA

Angelo grinned as the sweeper’s finally left Jarod’s cell. Things had been much easier when his friend had been kept in his old room where he had lived before escaping the Centre. He could just hop into the pretender’s room through the vents.

As much as he was happy that Jarod had finally been able to leave the Centre, he missed his friend terribly. Although their communication had been somewhat limited throughout the years, Jarod had radiated nothing but kindness towards him.

“Friend... Hurt…” Angelo stuttered as he crept around the corner, approaching the bars his friend was kept behind. He missed the days when verbal communication had been easy. Angelo’s brain was still highly functioning, but the wires were crossed. His life was nothing but a cloud of fog, so dense that he could get lost inside himself for days. He couldn’t afford to do that now. Jarod needed him.

Jarod shifted out of the small ball he had curled into on the floor and pushed himself upwards painfully. “Angelo!” He exclaimed with warmth, wincing as he tried to stand. Angelo frowned as Jarod gave up on his attempt, instead propping himself against the cinder blocks. Jarod smiled sadly up at Angelo. “How have you been my friend?”

Angelo gave him a crooked smile. “Angelo here to help.”

Jarod frowned as he glanced behind him at the camera propped in the back corner.

“Safe.” Angelo replied, ignoring the frustration building up inside of him. Raines had stolen so much from him, his ability to communicate. He could understand and feel so much from within. He could almost feel the pain that was coursing through Jarod from the drug he knew Raines had cruelly given the pretender, the dejection the pretender was feeling at being locked up behind bars, the apprehension of what would happen when Lyle and Sam would return, but most of all overwhelming concern for his family.

Jarod scoffed as his eyes lingered over the puncture mark on his left arm from Raines’ needle. “For now.” He finally replied, his tone neutral.

Angelo sunk down onto the floor in a kneeling position, grabbing at the bars that separated him from Jarod. He looked into the deep brown eyes of his friend. There was so much pain, so much fear.

“Jarod scared.”


Jarod smiled sadly. “Very.” He whispered.

“Hurt.” Angelo stated blankly.

Jarod only nodded slowly, dropping his gaze to the floor. Angelo felt shame radiating from his friend as the pretender’s thoughts briefly drifted to his past two days of captivity.

“Tell Sydney” Angelo stated knowingly.

Jarod eyes shot up.

“Jarod’s Sick.”

Jarod shook his head. “No Angelo. Just hurt. It’s nothing.”

Angelo shook his head.

“You need help. Sydney needs to know.” He continued.

“I’ll be fine. I promise.” Jarod replied softly.

“No. Sick, but Jarod knows. Need doctor.”

Jarod scoffed. “What am I suppose to do? Go begging to visit the infirmary? They won’t believe me if I tried. Raines will think it’s just a game to avoid his little lab of torture.”

“Angelo can help.” The empath persisted. In some ways Jarod was more stubborn than even Miss Parker.

Jarod looked at the empath, fear dancing out in his eyes. “They’ll figure it out eventually.”

Angelo stared at Jarod thoughtfully for a moment. “Friend meant to come back.” He finally stated, smiling as the pretender’s eyes widened in surprise. Jarod had returned to the Centre willingly.

“How did you know?” Jarod stated with shock.

Angelo gave him another awkward smile. “Angelo knows everything in here.”

Jarod chuckled lightly. “Somehow I don’t doubt that.”

Angelo’s smile faded from his face. “But only Timmy could have shared the secrets.” He finished sadly, before shaking his head. He couldn’t disappear into the cloud of darkness. Jarod needed him to be sharp, to be strong.

“Need to tell Sydney, tell him everything, the truth.” He continued on. He knew Jarod was deeply conflicted over what he felt about Sydney. If only his friend could feel the concern, the fear and affection the psychiatrist had towards Jarod. Angelo couldn’t use his words to express how he felt, his brain allowing him nothing more but constrained sentences. Jarod and Sydney had all the words in the world to use, but neither could say what they really felt. Miss Parker too, the little girl who used to bring him Cracker Jacks was buried beneath layers of betrayal and pain.

“I can’t Angelo. You know that.” Jarod responded with a heavy sigh. “You should go, Raines will be back soon.”

“Jarod can trust Sydney. Sydney can make things better. Angelo knows.” The empath again tried to reason with his friend.

“This is something I need to do alone. Sydney can’t help fix things, no one can.” Jarod replied despondently.

Angelo frowned. “Need family.”

“My dad doesn’t know I’m here. I hope he never finds out. I never told him that I was recaptured after he rescued Jay. If he knew I was here, why I am here, he’d - ” Jarod’s voice trailed off brokenly.

Angelo watched as his friend took a few moments to compose himself. Unfortunately time had run out of his favour, and he became aware of an angry presence from behind him.

“Recess is over boys.” Raines stated evenly.

Both Jarod and Angelo looked up at the ailing man with apprehension. Angelo shrank back at the angry stare that Raines gave him. He knew they would shove him back in his little hole, watch him vigilantly for a few days until they grew bored and he would be back running through the air vents again. Angelo honestly believed that Raines didn’t care, as long as he stayed out of trouble. He wouldn’t empath Raines, the emotions and thoughts radiating from the chairman were beyond terrifying. Although the evil doctor had been the one to curse Angelo with his empathetic abilities, he was the first to underestimate his limits. This had and would continue to work in his favour.

“Put Angelo back in his space.” Raines ordered as Angelo was pulled to his feet and dragged away from Jarod’s cage. The empath watched with a bowed head as Jarod attempted to rise to his feet, clearly still fighting the lingering effects of whatever drug he had been given. With a sigh of frustration Jarod fell back to the ground, his humiliation obvious to those in the room.

Angelo frowned with concern as he was escorted roughly out of the room. Jarod needed help. Jarod needed Sydney.

He would bring Sydney to Jarod. His friend needed him, whether he knew it or not.