Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Author's Chapter Notes:

A/N: We interrupt your regularly scheduled A/N to inform you that there will be no A/N today. Thank you.

(S shouts out) Yes there will be!!! THANK YOU Em, FOR PROOFREADING OUR FIC SO FAR! Your input has been a LOT OF HELP!! (Em laughs appreciatively) Em: No problem!! (S adds) And, thank you Bec Bec for proofreading this chapter for me one last time before updating! Kudos on a great job.


Unpredictable Turn of Events

by Sabs, Anna, Em, and Annie

Disclaimer: (S singing to self) Twinkle twinkle, little star! How I wonder what you are!

(Jarod interrupting) Excuse me, but don't you know what a star is? It's a big ball of gaseous substance in outer space. Its energy causes it to shine with light, bright enough for us to see from several light years away.

(S thinks to self) Who IS this wise-guy? He must think himself some sort of genius... Big know-it-all, that's what he is...


CHAPTER 5: A Turning Point

They landed in the midst of all the fanfare of a grand homecoming, except this celebration had a good supply of freaks and no streamers. She maneuvered her way next to Jarod. Everyone was congratulating Lyle on the successful hunt and not even looking at the prey.

“Run!” she whispered to him.

“Are you crazy? There’s no way I’d get out of this! If I run I’ll be killed!” He couldn’t believe she’d even suggest such a stupid plan.

“That’s the point, Genius!" She rolled her eyes, exasperated. "I need to get you somewhere private. Renewal Wing is the only place without cameras. If you run, you’ll be guaranteed a ticket for re-education, since you're needed alive, and then I’ll come for you. Now, come on! Knock me over and make a run for it!”

She wasn’t really expecting the blow that came in the next instant. It caught her off guard, so her planned fall was actually very convincing.

Jarod turned away from her and started for the roof’s emergency exit, in the opposite direction from the crowd. He didn’t make it within ten feet of the door before there were a dozen guns trained on him.

He halted quickly but did not make his re-re-capture easy on anyone. This time, it was Lyle who hit him with the butt of his handgun. And, this time, he was hit more than once. He counted six whacks before he blacked out. Interestingly, his vision turned orange before it darkened to black. It reminded him of the Tang he’d left behind with his freedom. He could only hope that Miss Parker had a plan.

Miss Parker watched with mixed emotions as an unconscious Jarod was dragged to the door leading back into the Centre.

“Hey, Sis, cheer up! You should be clicking your heels. The Lab Rat’s back! You can go back to Corporate for all I care,” Lyle said as he turned to follow his prize.

Miss Parker whirled on her heel and grabbed Lyle by the throat, her long nails drawing blood.

“Listen, you piece of slime! You may have caught him, but Jarod is still my responsibility,” Miss Parker hissed menacingly.

“Not anymore, Miss Parker,” Raines wheezed from behind. “Mr. Lyle will now be in charge of the Pretender Program.”

“What about Sydney? Jarod needs him! They’ve done simulations together for thirty years!” Miss Parker burst out, startled.

“Jarod must be re-educated. Sydney would only be a hindrance in that process,” Lyle said.

“Re-educated?” Miss Parker asked, a glimmer of hope. There was only one place where re-education occurred.

“Jarod is being taken to Renewal Wing as we speak,” Raines said with a smile.

“So, what are you going to do to him?” Miss Parker asked, hoping her tone sounded indifferent.

“Oh, you don’t want to know,” Lyle said. The look on his face reminded Miss Parker of the Grinch plotting the elimination of Christmas. Lyle and Raines started heading toward the doors of their domain. Miss Parker, now seriously worried but still trying not to show it, stayed where she was.

“Besides, Miss Parker, Jarod is no longer any of your concern. I’m putting you and your team on the trail of the clone and the rest of Jarod’s family. I have a feeling that they will be excellent work incentives for our Pretender,” Mr. Raines ordered.

“No. I took the Jarod assignment with the understanding that once Boy Wonder came home, I could write my own ticket. I want out.” Miss Parker's voice had an edge to it.

“That deal was made with Mr. Parker. It means nothing to me,” Raines replied evenly, still walking. "Oh, and Miss Parker," he turned back for a moment, "Don't take five years to track them down either. One kid and an old man should not be that hard to find."

Miss Parker’s heart fell to her toes. Jarod had been right. He had been returned to the Centre but she was still trapped. They had double-crossed her. Well, now she would return the favor.

Miss Parker was still fuming as she boarded the elevator to go down to her office. Then she reminded herself that tonight she would save Jarod and together they would escape the Centre.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Jarod's return to the Centre was relatively uneventful. He was taken straight to an isolation cell in Renewal Wing, per Raines' orders. Jarod had struggled as much as he could on the way down, but the six blows Lyle had given him devastatingly weakened him. He was no match for the burly sweeper. Only after Jarod had stopped fighting from sheer exhaustion did Sam let up. He was flung carelessly into a cell and was left alone. The door closed with a dead boom. The sound echoed with seclusion and gloom in the deep, dark halls. The only sounds of life were an occasional shuffle as other inmates moved about in their own cells.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Raines returned to his office in an evilly good mood. Lyle waited by the door.

"Smooth move there, Raines," Lyle commented, raising an eyebrow. "Miss Parker must be completely ticked off now. Dishonoring their deal was prowess at its finest."

Raines opened the door and walked in. Lyle followed.

Raines' grin was enough to freeze anyone else's blood but it energized Lyle. He closed the door. "She must be kept reined in. An adversary you can't see is an adversary to be nervous about." He walked around to his chair and sat down. "I want Jarod relocated in six hours. Move him to SL-26."

"Why the change in location?" Lyle grinned. "Not that I mind the transfer, mind you."

"There have been too many secrets leaked to the wrong people, and the last thing we need is a strayed pretender. Another escape will ensure a decisive step from the Triumvirate to replace our management." He paused. "The only people who need to know where he is are you and I."

"What about surveillance?" Lyle replied, curious.

"The cameras should be sufficient. And assign the mute sweeper."

"Brock," Lyle supplied.

"Yes." Raines nodded. "Assign no one else. Isolate the first ten feet on the east end. There are no ventilation shafts." Slightly startled, Lyle looked at Raines from a picture on the wall he had been absentmindedly studying. "I don't even want Angelo finding where he is."

"I'm on it," Lyle said with a curt nod. He turned and headed out the door. Pausing, he glanced at Raines and added, "I'll keep in touch."

"Be sure that you do." Raines had a glint in his eyes that could make anyone run away in terror. Lyle only looked at him before turning back around to make the preparations. Six hours was not a lot of time for what he had to do.

Broots was coming out of the elevator when he saw Lyle exit Raines' office. He shuddered, scurrying out of sight. Either man was formiddable and frightening alone, but together? A terrifying thought to say the least. Peeking around the corner, he saw Lyle enter the elevator. Broots headed to the stairs. He needed to get word to Miss Parker. She needed to know this latest piece of information.

TBC

You know the drill! You review, we'll talk to the PTBs of this fic about continuing... :-p